As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What forms of wit are lower than sarcasm?

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Puns

I can't stand em

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    everything listed in this thread is hilarious and how dare you

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    As a teacher, the most annoying is the response where you just question everything.

“Are you?”
    “Is it really?”

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    As a teacher, the most annoying is the response where you just question everything.

“Are you?”
    “Is it really?”

is that humour or just telling your dumb student their language structure is awful

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    That's what she said.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Rewriting a song to be about video games and filling out meter with empty adjectives and adverbs.

sig.gif
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    My top three worst forms of comedy:

3. Scatological humor. Generally speaking, anything that makes a nine-year-old laugh isn't relying on its audience's well-developed sense of wit.

2. Let's call this one "victimization by reference", or any in the broad swath of "ha ha, I made you look at the thing", i.e. Loss, Rickrolling, stickbugging, Dickbutt, OK-below-the-waist, and so on. These are tremendously funny to the assailant, amusing to bystanders, and infuriating to the victim. Comedy that harms people who haven't earned it is cruelty. Which brings us to...

1. Person as punchline. Any comedy where the laugh line is an identity (or a stereotype thereof) is essentially evil. "Its hilarious, you see, because that man is fat/a Jew/autistic" destroys more joy than it creates and can be done without in its entirety.

A distant fourth would be memery/referential comedy, because any imbecile can say "the cake is a lie" when they see a cake to score laughs from those in the know. But I've laughed when Nintendo suddenly has Mario transform into his SMB1 representation often enough that I can't denigrate it too badly.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

3. Scatological humor. Generally speaking, anything that makes a nine-year-old laugh isn't relying on its audience's well-developed sense of wit.

2. Let's call this one "victimization by reference", or any in the broad swath of "ha ha, I made you look at the thing", i.e. Loss, Rickrolling, stickbugging, Dickbutt, OK-below-the-waist, and so on. These are tremendously funny to the assailant, amusing to bystanders, and infuriating to the victim. Comedy that harms people who haven't earned it is cruelty. Which brings us to...

1. Person as punchline. Any comedy where the laugh line is an identity (or a stereotype thereof) is essentially evil. "Its hilarious, you see, because that man is fat/a Jew/autistic" destroys more joy than it creates and can be done without in its entirety.

A distant fourth would be memery/referential comedy, because any imbecile can say "the cake is a lie" when they see a cake to score laughs from those in the know. But I've laughed when Nintendo suddenly has Mario transform into his SMB1 representation often enough that I can't denigrate it too badly.

Wait, how is your number 2 (heh) causing harm to anyone? At worst it's mildly annoying

JtgVX0H.png
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Kupi wrote: »

Wait, how is your number 2 (heh) causing harm to anyone? At worst it's mildly annoying

"Harm" is an extreme term for it, admittedly. The goal is to annoy, waste the time of, misdirect, subvert the expectations of, etc the target. Whether they find any amusement in the joke is immaterial, and indeed frequently the prankster finds amusement specifically in the annoyance, the disappointed expectations, and so on. That's what I mean by "harm".

If my tone and the ability to write multiple paragraphs on the topic of degenerate forms of comedy havent given it away, I'm a terribly self-serious person. I probably weight nuisance and setting out to waste someone else's time more heavily than most.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    The stickbug one I kinda like because the song and dancing stickbug are cute

Loss is very dumb on the order of "you lost the game", rickrolling at least involves playing a fairly catchy song so I've never minded it.

They're all a million times better than back when the internet was obsessed with tricking you into clicking links to shock images or screamers or pages that spawn infinite pop ups.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Also I dunno about lowest but my favorite running joke on the forums is the chain of people correcting the previous person with a correct definition but incorrect word and continuing the chain.

Explosive Ordinance Disposal

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    sarukun wrote: »
    Miming masturbation to convey contempt.

I dunno, the image of someone inventing a robot whose sole function is to mime jerking off any time anyone speaks to it kinda made me chuckle.

RT800 on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Honestly I think the subversive "loss" things are funny. I'm a bad person.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Dickbutt is still so damn funny.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Oh that’s dickbutt

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Leans in close to my date when dickbutt appears

sig.gif

I never got why it's funny. Because it's silly and absurd or something?

JtgVX0H.png
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    it's a dick with another dick coming out of its butt

I got that, but why do people think it's funny? Is it because they smoke a lot of pot?

JtgVX0H.png
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I've always felt that mispronouncing/spelling Benedict Cumberbatch is a weird one, not because I think there's anything lesser about the humor but just because saying or spelling Benedict Cumberbatch is generally amusing enough to me that any variants end up being less funny.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I got that, but why do people think it's funny? Is it because they smoke a lot of pot?

Asking someone to explain why something makes them laugh seems a bit like asking someone to explain a flavor.

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    The lowest form of comedy (that I joyfully participate in) is just references to funny things. I think my middle school friend group was just guys who said The Simpsons to each other.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    3clipse wrote: »

Asking someone to explain why something makes them laugh seems a bit like asking someone to explain a flavor.

Why do kids love the taste of cinnamon toast crunch?

JtgVX0H.png
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    oh I know that one
    it's the absolutely bonkers amount of sugar.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    oh I know that one

I think its sugar content is actually on the lower end. Which is more an indictment of everything else, but.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah joking aside I actually like cinnamon toast crunch because it has a more savoury edge whereas most kids cereal just tastes like sweet sweet and more sweet

That said, I still eat it as a dessert snack, not a breakfast.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    The lowest form of comedy is any video that spends nine minutes discussing why a popular thing is bad.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence.

I dunno Oscar, I think we can and do have worse! Saying "Gesundheit!" after someone uses an obscure word, for example. Or deliberately mispronouncing names like 'M. Night Shyamalan' or 'Benedict Cumberbatch'. What else you got, SE++?

(To be clear, I'm talking 'low' in terms of structure, here, rather than level of cruelty or even how funny the joke is. Perhaps a good rule of thumb is 'How easily could an AI be trained to make new examples of the wit-form with human-equivalent timing and execution?')

Your mom is a lower form of wit than sarcasm!

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

I never got why it's funny. Because it's silly and absurd or something?
    tynic wrote: »
    oh I know that one

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Ooh, ooh, another thread reminded me of my answer

Grand Theft Auto humour

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm gonna nominate Mr. Plinkett reviews. Both the review segments themselves and the dreadful interludes.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular

I... its a dick... with another dick coming out of its butt?

I'm just, I don't know how else to explain this.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Fajita is an exception because it sounds like lady bits and genitals are fucking hilarious.

I don't know what a DragonBall Z character has to do with this.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    But to actually answer the question the lowest form of comedy is Mike Huckabee's Twitter.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I have a question.

Why are puns considered a low form of humor? I like a good pun.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Fajita is an exception because it sounds like lady bits and genitals are fucking hilarious.

I don't know what a DragonBall Z character has to do with this.

Wait I thought we were talking about the microwaveable cheese?

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I have a question.

Why are puns considered a low form of humor? I like a good pun.

Because some people hate fun.

I was looking for someone at work on Thursday. Her name was Olga. Couldn’t find her, looked everywhere. When I finally found her I said, thank god I found you, I was looking in all-ga wrong places.

She was Not Happy.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Dickbutt is not funny. Sorry all of you that got it tattooed at PAX that one time.

That sure is a cool thing to do.

Trash what is other people’s bodies.

Nice work, Weaver.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Blake, being judgy about meme tattoos, yeah I'm ok with the backlash on that. Like ok, whatever reason you did it for or what it reminds you of, if you have it and are happy about it, good for you. Meme tattoos are still generally a bad idea in my opinion.