As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D 5E: The Temple of Yonth

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mr. Grungle

The Grungle chooses the ring.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Roy

With trepidation you nudge the disc with your foot. It’s not alive. The disc is clean, with not much to it besides some grooves on the side. You spy a crack in the wall 10 feet from it just large enough to throw a disc through. On closer inspection there are piles of these discs on the other side. No way in though.

Mr. Grungle

Hm. Not too expensive looking. As you hold it you are given a grim sense of its purpose!

Little Nightmare. This iron ring with a horse shaped inset is possessed by a dark spirit. As an action, you can turn the ring around your finger to summon a tiny sized nightmare. The nightmare follows your commands to the best of its ability, but is without a doubt evil in its intent.

Besides this revelation you’re struck once again by the statue.

It holds a wheel with nine symbols around the edge and one in the middle, however there are clear blank gaps, as if to represent lost symbols. There might have once been 14.

You’re pretty sure one of the symbols is for the Abyss, another might be for of the places good people go when they shuffle off the mortal coil.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Satra

HP 11/20

"The work of a Master," she whispers in quiet awe to herself. "If the fools had only known." Somehow, mostly-centered again from this, she smiles peacefully, and gives a small tension-relieving chuckle. "*And* no worse for wear for getting my bell rung, I suppose", she lies to herself playfully.

Wistfully hoping to come back soon with the proper equipment, utterly fascinated by the culture and the genius/geniuses behind it, and then suddenly and painfully needing to crack her back in some places it shouldn't usually be able to crack, Satra breathes deeply, points Problem Solver infront of her, and calmly heads through the door to the South

mrpaku on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Roy

I pocket the disk and go to roll the shriveled up body, rapier still in hand.

• Options
    Satra

qerxxqdot9sp.jpeg

Okay so.

xj8n17aw7zuj.jpeg

Right.

l9twdyke7mlr.jpeg

Floors got the smooth black flooring itself missing, which reveals a network of wires and machinery.

Monster (P). Ooze fiend (O). Don’t panic.

• Options
    Roll for initiative.

Geth roll 1d20 for Ooze
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Powerpotomus

Ooze:
    1d20 6 [1d20=6]
    Powerpotomus:
    1d20+2 10 [1d20=8]

• Options
    Roy

The body has been picked clean of gear, save for a spearhead in its back.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    [OOC: I really wanted to go down the hall and meet Billy, but knew Satra wouldn't know he was there, so I got the RNG generator to make my choice for me...just, when I die absolutely horribly, know I died honestly]
    Now then, on to my impending death- how do I roll for Initiative? I keep reading about a Dex modifier, but not what that actually means- do I just do a straight d20 roll, or does my 14 dexterity give me some kind of bonus, and where do I go to learn all this probably pretty basic stuff...is there a video or something that can 101 me most of the basics, so I can try to ask less?

mrpaku on
  • Options
    [OOC: 1d20+2 for you. I have no problem with questions, but the D&D thread right here has links to dozens of places with the rules.]

• Options
    You can, despite being in an encounter, move 30 feet per turn around to Billy and get them involved. Not that you know they’re there as such, but your nearest exit might pass by, you know?

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Satra's Initiative

Satra's Initiative:
    1d20+2 6 [1d20=4]

mrpaku on
  • Options
    I couldn't beat a 6 or an 8 are you

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Wylan, Aasimar Paladin, HP 24/24

"Water? No, I don't think that would work. And I don't think we're able to get through that glass panel, so let's try this," Wylan reaches out an activates the panel with the symbol that looks like a forest.

Actions
    Need me to roll anything to activate?

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Is this your... home, spirit?" Lialeth addresses the ghost, growing more curious by the second. He expected vicious monsters and deadly traps, but so far he's only seen hungry dogs and pretty lights. "Are you protecting this place?"

• Options
    Roy

I take the old spear head and continue north.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mr. Grungle

Is there a way for me to shift/turn the wheel?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Okay, so I guess I should ask what's going on with my investigation of the food/holes/buttons/golem while presumably Satra starts World War P one room over?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Satra

The beast lets out a terrible roar! It stomps on its feet and breathes out a gout of water so pressurised it hits the ceiling.

It charges you, then backs off at the last second!

In the corner of the room the terrible dripping thing shouts at you, “Away! Away!”

The ooze raises a shaky arm, and a bubble of green liquid forms, floating and turn on air. They throw it at you!

You take 3 acid damage!

It hits you directly in your right eye. You’re now blind in your right eye. You have disadvantage to Sleight of Hand skill checks.

Geth roll 1d6 for Acidity
    Geth roll 1d20 for Acid Injury

Wylan

After a bit of fiddling you hit it right.

Outside the room the sand rumbles, and changes before your eyes. The sand turns to clumps of clay, then breaks down into rich soil. New shoots grow as magical rain is let loose from minuscule holes in the ceiling.

Moments later, where once stood stone is now tall rainforest trees.

Several white eggs of various sizes roll out from triangular holes that appear and just as soon disappear from the walls.

There’s no sound for a time. Then you hear a crack.

3x6of9gctw3i.jpeg

—The green represents trees. They’re difficult terrain, and block your line of sight. I haven’t put the eggs on the map as they’re all over the place, easily one per space.

Lialeth

The ghost speaks in a language you cannot understand. This continues for some time until, “Dwevgar? Orken? Common?”

The ghost’s voice is feminine, slow and steady.

“Match found. This is home to all those who have bravely escaped the Power Who is to Become. I am a sub-routine. I maintain the adjacent Sculpting Room.”

Roy

Rooyyy! Lone ranger Rooyyyyy! His bow on his back and blade in hand, who can stand against the justice of...
    Roooyyyyyyy!

Roy...

gyi7advlxy5y.jpeg

The darkness affords you stealth.

You see a demon (S) one way, hunched low, picking over a dog-like carcass, and some ugly undead warrior (U) the other. Neither has seen you.

—If you pick a fight, you get a surprise round. Attack it twice in one turn, basically. Too much noise will attract the other, as a heads up.

e0wytvcgda7g.jpeg
    dsyivadulgtf.jpeg

Mr. Grungle

Feeling around the back of the wheel with your grubby mitts, hoping to prize it off, you find a single button.

Pressing it causes the wheel to slowly turn anti-clockwise (though it is still solid stone, somehow).

Where there were spaces, there are now 14 symbols. Illusionary tears form where the statue once had a head, and voice reverberates around you in an unknown language.

You hear a terrible clash of blades and the casting of war spells! Shadows and light run at each other along the walls, and great birds glide across the ceiling at marvellous speeds!

Then it stops.

After a few seconds the wheel turns back and there are only 9 symbols again. That’s all it does.

Billy

You trot over and indeed, you get yourself some more grub. Looks to have fallen out of a hole.

The golem is still dormant. It doesn’t look like it’ll get out without you actively starting her up.

If you want to see if you can get even more food, give me a straight Intelligence check to poke around.

Acidity:
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]
    Acid Injury:
    1d20 19 [1d20=19]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb5_X7bgAzA

[OOC: Just a quickie, this game is all nonsense and won’t be tackling any major issues, but if you find anything too spooky, or just aren’t feeling the vibe, do say so, here or in a PM. Have a great day y’all.]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Roy

I shield up and I bum rush the meatier horrifying monster (demon)

Geth roll 2d8+10 for two stabs of my rapier

two stabs of my rapier:
    2d8+10 20 [2d8=6, 4]

• Options
    Roy

So how did you slay a demon from the shadows?

You earn 40 experience. Mark that down!

• Options
    Lialeth thinks back to the strange chair. "Sculpting Room?" he asks, eyes narrowing. "What do you sculpt in there exactly?"

For a man so used to charging forward, this place was giving him a lot of pause.

• Options
    Lialeth

“The Sculpting Room is a rudimentary facsimile of Limbo. With proper training you too can sculpt the prepared material into works of mentally augmented art, just as those before us—”, the ghost breaks off with a high pitched whistle.

It turns to you expectantly, as if it had come to a satisfying end to its description.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Wylan, Aasimar Paladin, HP 24/24

"Interesting.” Wylan watches the room transform. The eggs were certainly strange, but he assumed there might be something of interest out in the forest, I guess?.

”I guess we go explore.

Wylan returns to the larger room, pausing as he rounds the first set of trees to listen more.

Actions
    Moving to the square the looks straight down the open path.

Geth, roll 1d20+1d4+1 for Perception

Perception:
    1d20+1d4+1 13 [1d20=9] [1d4=3]

• Options
    Roy

The best tricks are the old tricks, and a demon crouched over a meal leaves the whole back of its neck exposed, a couple of quick clean stabs there usually does the trick.

I roll the bodies quick as I can before I go to deal with this undead horror.

• Options
    "Material?" Lialeth gestures toward the piece of metal on the plinth. "Like that? How does that become a fountain of lights? What is all this ... for?"

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Wylan

You watch a particularly small egg hatch. A pale millipede crawls out of it, antenna busy taking its world in.

Nothing else to see yet...

—Could you give me a little mark on this map somehow whenever you move for this next bit?

Are you moving slowly and stealthily, or quick and ready?

k2ilfmxs3lcw.jpeg

Roy

The demon has nothing on it. It was eating a small mammal with a mouth that can go quite wide, itself looking like a predator.

Lialeth

“Yes.”, there is an awkward pause, “My duty concerns concerns concerns be concerns concerns only this area of the ship.”

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Roy

*looks down at his weapons* these are all gonna go right through that skeleton.

I sheath my rapier and get the hammer out of my backpack. It's not a traditional weapon but I've used a mace before, this should smash some bones.

[OOC: what should I roll for this hammer]

After hefting my hammer I move stealthily back towards the undead horror I spotted before

Geth roll 1d20+5 for stealth

stealth:
    1d20+5 9 [1d20=4]

• Options
    edited August 2020
    [OOC: The light hammer weapon is 1d4, but this ain’t a weapon as such... so 1d3!]

Making your way back around, you tap hard against the floor, just once.

The undead stupidly lunges around the corner at the sound.

ajzcdfrp79x9.jpeg

You’ll have to roll initiative if you follow it around, you’re out of stealth.

If you use your next turn to go elsewhere it will follow, but perhaps you’ll lose it down the line.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Roy

Gah the trip shakes me I roll back to the corner where I left the demon corpse actively tapping on the wall till I turn that first corner as I get into the corner with the corpses I belt my hammer and get out my lucky rock

• Options
    Roy

[OOC: Could you reword that a bit? I think I get it, but not quite.]

• Options
    "I think this ghost is broken," Lialeth mutters to himself, taking a few steps towards the plinth. "So I take this metal and put it in the chair, and it makes a fountain? Does the metal do anything else?"

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I'm going the other route than stealth I'm trying to bait it to the bottom line there three squares below my current "r" position to get the longest straight line I can to use my skipping stone on it.

Sleep on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Lialeth

The ghost vanishes with a distant, garbled scream. Did it go away of its own accord? Or... Did it say too much?

Do you take the black metal piece on the plinth?

Roy

Roll for initiative! Beat it and you can make your throw at the best distance.

(I’ll trust you to throw over the right number of spaces.)

Geth roll 1d20-4 for Undead Initiative

Undead Initiative:
    1d20-4 10 [1d20=14]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Opps i meant the other direction heading back to the demon corpse. Basically after I trip and make noise I fall back but try to pull the enemy to me.

Sleep on
  • Options
    [OOC: I got you now!]

It trundles off after you, near blind in the dark.

• Options
    As it nears the edge of the light I let loose with the rock

Which should be 6 bludgeoning damage

And I pull the hammer back out of my belt.

Geth roll 1d20+3 for initiative

initiative:
    1d20+3 18 [1d20=15]

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Roy

The rock donks it in the teeth.

Geth roll 1d20 for Bludgeoning Injury

Bludgeoning Injury:
    1d20 7 [1d20=7]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Roy

The undead lurches towards you and swings for you! It cuts deep into your shoulder!

You take 5 slashing damage!

You take a serious injury! You’ll take 1 damage every time you make an action for the next 5 actions.

Geth roll 1d6 for Damage
    Geth roll 1d20 for Slashing Injury

Damage:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]
    Slashing Injury:
    1d20 20 [1d20=20]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Roy

Think I'm gonna take that blow on the shield instead of my shoulder

Then I'll teleport over to my rock grab it back up another 10 feet into the darkness and let a rip for I think 8 more bludgeoning damage.