As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now [Cars]

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    A new WRX was announced?

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    So a high teenager smashed into my 2015 mazda3 while I was sleeping. Only 36k miles, five or six payments away from owning it outright.🤧🤧

So right now I’m looking at the 2020 Sentra SV with a premium package, and I’m looking at a 2020 Civic EX. They’re very similarly equipped, and very similarly priced.

Sentra: slow as molasses. I’ve never driven a car that felt so mushy on its way to 60. The Civic has 25 additional horsepower in a turbo’d engine, and it’s more fuel efficient.

Civic: no left side blind spot monitoring? Wtf. I don’t understand why a 24k dollar car made this year can omit any sort of lane detection. Also this would end up costing more, because Honda sells like crazy and doesn’t seem to need to negotiate based on reports whereas Nissan has already displayed a willingness to come down in price.

Thoughts?

Why not another Mazda 3? They're one of the more fun cars in the class. Just looking for something different?

I recently got a Mazda CX-9 (my first Mazda) and I love it. In contrast, I have rented several Sentras and I absolutely hate their gearbox. I'm not a fan of CVTs in general but Nissan's seems to be stuck in that annoying growling range way too often.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    So a high teenager smashed into my 2015 mazda3 while I was sleeping. Only 36k miles, five or six payments away from owning it outright.🤧🤧

So right now I’m looking at the 2020 Sentra SV with a premium package, and I’m looking at a 2020 Civic EX. They’re very similarly equipped, and very similarly priced.

Sentra: slow as molasses. I’ve never driven a car that felt so mushy on its way to 60. The Civic has 25 additional horsepower in a turbo’d engine, and it’s more fuel efficient.

Civic: no left side blind spot monitoring? Wtf. I don’t understand why a 24k dollar car made this year can omit any sort of lane detection. Also this would end up costing more, because Honda sells like crazy and doesn’t seem to need to negotiate based on reports whereas Nissan has already displayed a willingness to come down in price.

Thoughts?

Why not another Mazda 3? They're one of the more fun cars in the class. Just looking for something different?

I recently got a Mazda CX-9 (my first Mazda) and I love it. In contrast, I have rented several Sentras and I absolutely hate their gearbox. I'm not a fan of CVTs in general but Nissan's seems to be stuck in that annoying growling range way too often.

Pretty sure Nissan's CVTs are a big part of the reason the design got such a bad reputation early on in the US. They were the first mass market maker to really use them.

These days most CVTs can at least provide a smooth and pleasant ride even if they still feel unresponsive (kind of by design really) and more than one review of a CVT using car has specifically mentioned that the maker's CVT feels a lot better than a Nissan one.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    No pictures of what it'll look like, though. After the gorgeous concept in 2014, I was really disappointed in the frumpy car that eventually came out.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have full faith modern Subaru will screw it up.

• Options
    tyrannus wrote: »

So it's a leak of a possible lineup and model refresh for the next couple of years.
    But nothing official, though I'd expect the Wilderness version to probably be close to true, with less than a year to go on that.

But no word on actual WRX or STi changes, like the rumored 400+ WRX using a Mercedes powerplant, that was going around earlier this year.

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    I am, frankly, amazed at Subaru's incredible commitment to keep the WRX one of the ugliest cars on the road, bar none, for nearly twenty years.

Almost screwed up there in 2014 and made something sleek, but really pulled out the save in the end to push those proportions just wrong er, right...

• Options
    No thank you.

You gotta have buttons for things like volume and climate control. Looks like at best they have are buttons for maybe volume. Fuck that noise. 100% disinterested now.

• Options
    Not a fan of the center console or infotainment column.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    re: mazda3

I liked my old one just fine but I wanted something a little different. I also wanted something faster, which I found in the turbocharged civic. I decided against the Sentra. Several things I didn’t like it but the piteous sounds like it was gonna die on every hill didn’t help.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    re: mazda3

I liked my old one just fine but I wanted something a little different. I also wanted something faster, which I found in the turbocharged civic. I decided against the Sentra. Several things I didn’t like it but the piteous sounds like it was gonna die on every hill didn’t help.

Hard to go wrong with a Civic. A much better choice than any ICE Nissan right now.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    I picked up a new CR-V a couple of weeks ago and I dig it. They did a really nice blue this year, almost the same color as my Honda CB500F. Rides nice, good MPG, lots of cargo room.

[img][/img]GT4170Vh.jpg

The picture doesn't really do it justice, it's basically Klein Blue when you see it.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    I picked up a new CR-V a couple of weeks ago and I dig it. They did a really nice blue this year, almost the same color as my Honda CB500F. Rides nice, good MPG, lots of cargo room.

[img][/img]GT4170Vh.jpg

The picture doesn't really do it justice, it's basically Klein Blue when you see it.

Damn you. We bought a 2019 CRV like a year ago and that was the color we wanted. But I forgot to ask what colors they had available and after negotiating a good deal they only had silver and black. I would have loved that blue.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    SJ is that the ‘Aegean’ blue? That’s what I just bought my Civic in

Organichu on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I have the blue forester so we are basically cousins

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    SJ is that the ‘Aegean’ blue? That’s what I just bought my Civic in

It is!

It's "Candy Blue" on my bike, since one is for hooligans and one is for civilized folk

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Hype hype hype hype Aegean brother

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    We're looking at the Blue Hyundai Kona. Also a very nice blue.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I was looking at the blue M2 before the nightmare that is 2020 happened.

Blues a good color.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Oh are we talking about WRX’sand blue cars? Don’t mind if I do: https://imgur.com/a/68jqcEY

First few are from immediately after my wife drove it home brand new in 2011. Last one is from last year after a freezing rain/snow, when all shiny cars look their best.

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular

[img][/img]GT4170Vh.jpg

Would you say you're level 7 susceptible?

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    d9aantmer3pg.jpeg

I got my car (2020 Civic EX). I am very much a fan so far.

• Options
    Everyone getting the blue!

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I've ordered this one now:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh3j4NpK2Yo

The full specced one, what models were available were pretty limited. It was either basic on the level of no driver-side armrest included or fully kitted so I got the latter. Pretty much that exact car, except I don't think they have towbars for it yet in Sweden. I think it looks amazing, I'm looking forward to being annoyed there's no physical knob in the car at all once the initial swooning wears off.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Going to cross post this.

Look what I stumbled upon locally here:
    vDCZc2a.jpg

I had to drive back around the block to snap this picture. I’m definitely jealous of whoever had done this.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    An Aussie car magazine wanted to see how far north they could take an MX-5 here in Australia a few years ago, so they fitted the biggest chunkiest tyres they could fit under the standard guards with standard suspension, fitted a bash tray under the sump, and tried to drive all the way to the tip of Cape York.

They made it, too. Most folks buy a Landcruiser or Patrol to attempt the same trip, but they're not strictly necessary.

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2020
    I bought a new car back in May. I get a call today from the dealer - they gave me a car with the wrong VIN. I have the registration, title, and everything for the car that's still on their lot. The model, color, trim, and equipment is all identical. Dumb me for not checking, I know, but ultimately it's on them.

They have given me a bunch of documents they want me to sign, all of which are back-dated to the day I bought the car (problem 1).

Basically they want to set up my car sitting on their lot as a trade-in on the purchase of the car I have in my garage. The new contract I'm signing claims that I'll owe them the price of a new car (problem 2, probably typographical but it's still sloppy paperwork). I am re-qualifying for a manufacturer incentive, which also seems weird (problem 3). They additionally have a modification of contract paper that voids our original contract, even though it needs to be valid in order to trade-in the car like they want me to (problem 4). The odometer readings on the titles are also incorrect (problem 5).

Additionally, it's an EV and I don't want this messing with my $7,000 tax credit. This is only a potential problem.

I'm totally willing to work with them on this - I have ~2k miles on it and I want to do the right thing by just fixing the error, but I'm already skeptical of their clerical work and have found a bunch of places where they want me to sign something that's untrue (odometer, dates, how much I owe them, etc).

I don't even want them to "make it right" with financial or material incentives. I just want a car with the right VIN, without signing my name to a falsehood.

They're making it really hard to do that.

Doc on
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    That seems super fucky and I wouldn’t sign anything without talking to a lawyer first.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Just swap cars with the dealership. Sucks for them letting you drive a car they got to take back for 2k miles but that is their dumb fault.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That seems super fucky and I wouldn’t sign anything without talking to a lawyer first.

Yep, pretty much.

I suspect that my requirement of "I'm not signing anything that isn't true or what we've talked about agreeing to," is going to be a problem for them.

It's weird, because they're a HUGE dealership in my area and are well-regarded.
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Just swap cars with the dealership. Sucks for them letting you drive a car they got to take back for 2k miles but that is their dumb fault.

This is likely what will end up happening, I think.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I don't think it would be legal for you to "trade-in" the car you are driving to them because you do not own that car. You have no actual legal title to be able to transfer it to them. The car you own is the one sitting on the lot. If they won't just give you the keys to the car you actually own and walk away, I'd get legal advice before falsifying documents like that. It sounds like they are trying to trick you into eating the cost of them not being able to sell the second car as new.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I don't think it would be legal for you to "trade-in" the car you are driving to them because you do not own that car. You have no actual legal title to be able to transfer it to them. The car you own is the one sitting on the lot. If they won't just give you the keys to the car you actually own and walk away, I'd get legal advice before falsifying documents like that. It sounds like they are trying to trick you into eating the cost of them not being able to sell the second car as new.

They're asking me to trade in the car that I legally own that's sitting on their lot, so I can purchase the car that is currently in my garage, effectively for $0 additional.

I wouldn't really have a problem with doing that, if they weren't being so sketchy with the paperwork.

But yes, they are 100% trying to avoid eating the cost of having to sell the car I'm driving as a used car.

It was a genuine mistake and the ~2,000 miles don't really bother me that much, so I'm willing to play ball so they don't have to get soaked. It's just that they're not doing a very good job at making it possible for me to do so.

Doc on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    One other concern, the car you are currently driving has no actual insurance coverage since the VIN wouldn't match your policy.

And one other question, were you contacted by the salesman that is trying to cover up his fuckup, or were you contacted by the dealership manager?

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    One other concern, the car you are currently driving has no actual insurance coverage since the VIN wouldn't match your policy.

And one other question, were you contacted by the salesman that is trying to cover up his fuckup, or were you contacted by the dealership manager?

I updated the coverage to the right VIN earlier today when I found out.

The I'm working with the guy who sold me the car, but the sales manager is well aware of the situation.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Doc wrote: »

Yep, pretty much.

I suspect that my requirement of "I'm not signing anything that isn't true or what we've talked about agreeing to," is going to be a problem for them.

Dealerships wanting to do shady/illegal stuff to cover for their own fuckups? Did you know that water is wet?
    This is someone discovering the error and trying desperately to cover it up rather than suck it up and do it the right way. If they push on you, email the owner or principal, as likely they're in the dark on this.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    Doc wrote: »

Yep, pretty much.

Dealerships wanting to do shady/illegal stuff to cover for their own fuckups? Did you know that water is wet?
    This is someone discovering the error and trying desperately to cover it up rather than suck it up and do it the right way. If they push on you, email the owner or principal, as likely they're in the dark on this.

Good plan. I was willing to give them a shot at fixing it the right way, but then they gave me a bunch of documents to sign that have at least a falsehood apiece.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I would drive the car in the garage back to the dealership, take the plate off and put it on the car that actually belongs to you, and demand they give you the keys to your car.

They can eat the miles you put on the car you've been driving as it's their mistake.

Don't sign or do anything, they loaned you the wrong car for a few months and it's their problem not yours.

Edit - If they refuse to give you the keys to your car, you could just have AAA show up and tow the car to another dealer to have new keys cut. They have just been storing your car for you if all the original paperwork is in order. It's not stealing or anything and you basically got a free 2000 miles.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Man, I wanted to let them do it right.

I guess they squandered that chance.

Edit: not only that, I can guarantee that there will be some sort of warranty shenanigans down the line if we just switch titles and registration instead of this sketchy af faux-sale-with-a-trade-in approach.

Doc on