As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Football/Soccer] Thread about kickin' balls

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Ahahahahaha Coutinho even

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I hear the Germans are at it again?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    1-1 under 7 minutes in?

Hold on to your butts

2-1 victory in the 94th minute i'm calling it now

chanus

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Chanus wrote: »
    1-1 under 7 minutes in?

Hold on to your butts

2-1 victory in the 94th minute i'm calling it now

Nice.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    God this gave me life

The most amazing thing about Barca is that two of their biggest investments lately have been in Messi's position. Coutinho and Griezmann both roughly operate in the same area as Messi. More than 200 million euros spent on them. Their organisation is more shambolic than United's.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    I had to miss the second half, just caught the highlights, such as they were.

Here's hoping they give city the same treatment, if not worse.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    God this gave me life

The most amazing thing about Barca is that two of their biggest investments lately have been in Messi's position. Coutinho and Griezmann both roughly operate in the same area as Messi. More than 200 million euros spent on them. Their organisation is more shambolic than United's.

Oh the problems Barca have go far beyond the poor transfer investments. La Masia has been so badly handled over the past decade that the best talent developed at the academy have ended up leaving going to other clubs even the biggest rivals. The board have had no interest in developing new talent. In fact the whole board is an absolute shambles, having six directors resign at once should be bringing alarm bells. Instead everyone looks to Messi to do something to either distract people from the backroom problems or drag what is a very ageing team over the line in every match.

The average of the squad is around 27 years old with the biggest names in the midfield all being over 30 years old. The board are desperately trying to plug holes in the squad by buying in these 100 million plus signings. In doing so they are creating more and more debt and needing to balance the books in a major way.

The most obvious failed transfer has to be the most recent deal in getting PJanic from Juventus in a swap deal for Arthur Melo who was being touted as the next Xavi by both Messi and Xavi himself! So getting rid of such a bright prospect to sign a tentpole player who is 30.

If you looked at Messi tonight you could see how fed up he was with everything. It's like the Argentina national team problems have followed him back to Spain. It doesn't excuse the poor attitude the team had tonight but you do feel for him when he is having to drag the whole club out of the gutter week in week out.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    an absolute powerhouse flailing after years of success trying to plaster over the cracks with expensive stopgaps

where have we seen that before

• Options
    also its very funny that people want Xavi to be the next manager when his managerial experience consists of a year of managing in Qatar while sportswashing a murderous regime

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    an absolute powerhouse flailing after years of success trying to plaster over the cracks with expensive stopgaps

where have we seen that before

...as a Milan fan...

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    So after the 3:0 and 4:1 against Chelsea, Bayern decided to try and get the same numbers in half the time now?

On this trajectory the next game will have a 12 goal difference. Looking forward to it

• Options
    Barcelona have to pay Liverpool €5m (£4.5m) if Philippe Coutinho wins the Champions League with Bayern Munich this season.

insult, meet injury

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Just this play by Davies.
    https://youtu.be/Nou3zZHFWuA

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Davies is so freaking good!

Just wish we could surround him with more quality players for the national team.

• Options
    Ugh, fucking citeh

• Options
    edited August 2020
    FUCK YOU CITEH!!!!! ALL THAT MONEY, ENJOY YOUR EFL CUP YOU TOSSERS!!!!

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    It really is the smallest of margins sometimes.

*sees Sterling balloon the ball from two meters out*

Alright, the mediumest of margins.

Has the ball landed yet?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Pep got the tactics totally wrong on that one. Almost felt like a repeat of what Athletico did the other night.

• Options
    sometimes football is good

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Leipzig and Lyon in the semis just like everyone penciled in when the draw was initially announced

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Since I no longer have a horse in the race, I'm pulling for Lyon. Would love to see The Jeff win the CL.

• Options
    Anybody but PSG

Anyhoo, I'm nervous about tonight's game with Sevilla. They're basically the Real Madrid of the Europa League and we've looked exhausted for the last few weeks.

• Options
    anyone but PSG or RB

I’d love for science to find a way for both of them to lose

• Options
    Man Utd are just gonna ride those penalties all the way to the Europa League trophy, huh?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    bless you penalty man

• Options
    as a united fan, bricks are being shat

as a football fan, what a fucking half of football

• Options
    Was the Sevilla keeper the only one who came out of the dressing room in the second half?

Shambolic so far on their end.

• Options
    I mean, neither of them covered themselves in glory, but why did Fernandes go after Lindelöf and not Wan-Bissaka, who could at least see that De Jong was open?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    I'm disappointed with Olé in this one. We were clearly not getting anywhere with our initial setup 70 minutes on. Don't know why he didn't even try to change things up until we were a goal down.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Not to worry, next season we have champions League football.
    That thing we're totally ready for...

sig.gif
  • Options
    David_T wrote: »
    I mean, neither of them covered themselves in glory, but why did Fernandes go after Lindelöf and not Wan-Bissaka, who could at least see that De Jong was open?

Lindelof saw that De Jong was ball side of AWB and chose to not close the space before making an arse of his positioning and body shape

g83rvmcb8x9v.png

low quality screenshot but he's facing away from the direction of the ball, doesn't jump, kinda half lifts his leg (at a head height ball???)

terrible defending

fwiw i think Williams is poor here as well. You need to be tight to your man. Worst case scenario, he goes past you to the byline and your CB tidies up. You absolutely shouldn't be letting crosses in from that position

• Options
    I'm disappointed with Olé in this one. We were clearly not getting anywhere with our initial setup 70 minutes on. Don't know why he didn't even try to change things up until we were a goal down.

Almost like he is sending a message to the board that the squad depth isn't good enough.

• Options

incredible that the lad who got sacked for bringing Everton into the relegation zone is being considered for Barcelona

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Managerial Flow:

10 IF Famous
    20 THEN Hire

• Options
    What are the Barcelona manager contracts even like these days?

Weekly with 51 recurring team options?

Yeesh

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

It's pretty much the grail selection scene from Indiana Jones.

sig.gif
  • Options

Weekly with 51 recurring team options?

Yeesh

Well the good news is that he was on a shorter contract of 2.5 years.

The bad news is that he still had 22 months at 500,000 a month salary.

For a club essentially 'broke', that's still a big bill.

• Options
    Blecch. Anybody but PSG.

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    This would be PSG's first ever Champions League final.

Have a hard time seeing anyone not Bayern winning, though.

This discussion has been closed.