As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Homeowner/House] Thread. How long is it going to take? Two weeks!

• Options
    JengoJengo Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    Good news! I got an offer accepted on a great house!

Bad news! I paid 10% over asking!

Good news! The sellers had counter offered 15% over asking and I said no, goodbye, and they called back 10 minutes later at 10% over, so at least it wasn’t 15%!

Bad news! The buying agent repeatedly said the home inspection would be $500, and then after it finished with the guy he personally recommends, it was $745!

I’m hoping to get fleeced by the mortgage lender as soon as tomorrow.
    I forget where you live, but if you are on the east coast the Mortgage broker I used was very good, and most importantly super responsive. Shoot me a PM if you want his contact info. He’s licensed in the DMV Jersey Florida Pa both Carolinas and Delaware.

Unfortunately not licensed in my state.

I’m pretty worried now it’s not going to appraise. We had to waive the appraisal contingency! No one acted like it was a big deal and everyone continues to do so! I don’t see how it could possibly appraise for 7.5% over asking! I think my agent and girlfriend combined to pressure me into overpaying by 20k without an appraisal contingency to get out of it!

Seriously considering backing out and eating 3k instead of possibly not getting appraised and being stuck for 30k if I have to walk then.

I don’t know if I’m catastrophizing or what but I’m pretty pissed to have gotten myself in this situation and secondarily pissed our agent led us into it without acting like it was risky. What would have happened if I listened to him and offered the higher amount??

End vent/rant

Check the comps for the property, that's what the appraiser is going to do.

Jengo on
    3DS FC: 1977-1274-3558 Pokemon X ingame name: S3xy Vexy
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Man, mowing 3 foot tall weeds on a hill with a slope greater than 45 degrees is kind of the worst. Also, mowing the weeds has uncovered some erosion channels that I'll need to fill in eventually. Right now I'm debating whether I want to clean up all the weeds and rocks in my yard, fill in all the dirt that's been eroded, landscape it properly, till it, and then seed it, or if I wanna just hire someone else to do that for me >.>

That... sounds like a good place for a 'wildflower' feature?

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Jengo wrote: »

Good news! The sellers had counter offered 15% over asking and I said no, goodbye, and they called back 10 minutes later at 10% over, so at least it wasn’t 15%!

Bad news! The buying agent repeatedly said the home inspection would be $500, and then after it finished with the guy he personally recommends, it was $745!

I forget where you live, but if you are on the east coast the Mortgage broker I used was very good, and most importantly super responsive. Shoot me a PM if you want his contact info. He’s licensed in the DMV Jersey Florida Pa both Carolinas and Delaware.

I’m pretty worried now it’s not going to appraise. We had to waive the appraisal contingency! No one acted like it was a big deal and everyone continues to do so! I don’t see how it could possibly appraise for 7.5% over asking! I think my agent and girlfriend combined to pressure me into overpaying by 20k without an appraisal contingency to get out of it!

Seriously considering backing out and eating 3k instead of possibly not getting appraised and being stuck for 30k if I have to walk then.

I don’t know if I’m catastrophizing or what but I’m pretty pissed to have gotten myself in this situation and secondarily pissed our agent led us into it without acting like it was risky. What would have happened if I listened to him and offered the higher amount??

End vent/rant

Check the comps for the property, that's what the appraiser is going to do.

Also the appraiser is mostly looking for gross malfeasance. Like a property that is selling for double everything in the area. There’s just no way to be super accurate with the evaluation, so most of the time, as long as comps are with 10-20%, they just appraise it at the sales price.

Over or under asking doesn’t really mean anything, since people play weird games with listing prices.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Man, mowing 3 foot tall weeds on a hill with a slope greater than 45 degrees is kind of the worst. Also, mowing the weeds has uncovered some erosion channels that I'll need to fill in eventually. Right now I'm debating whether I want to clean up all the weeds and rocks in my yard, fill in all the dirt that's been eroded, landscape it properly, till it, and then seed it, or if I wanna just hire someone else to do that for me >.>

That... sounds like a good place for a 'wildflower' feature?

Yeah, probably. Eventually I'd like a retaining wall, but that's $$$$

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    What are your guys actual interest rates, if you don’t mind my asking. Shaving off 2% is crazy high.

4.5 to 2.5

I'm not sure why our original loan was 4.5. Both my wife and I have excellent credit and good, steady, long-term jobs. With the sale of our previous house, we even had a sizable down payment, too, and we went with a 20 year loan.

Maybe loan rates were crazy 2 years ago. I don't recall.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    What are your guys actual interest rates, if you don’t mind my asking. Shaving off 2% is crazy high.

4.5 to 2.5

I'm not sure why our original loan was 4.5. Both my wife and I have excellent credit and good, steady, long-term jobs. With the sale of our previous house, we even had a sizable down payment, too, and we went with a 20 year loan.

They were. My loan is in the 4.x range as well, because rates were pretty high at the time. With them falling off a cliff, I need to look into refinancing.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

4.5 to 2.5

They were. My loan is in the 4.x range as well, because rates were pretty high at the time. With them falling off a cliff, I need to look into refinancing.

I also have a 4.5 rate... 2 years ago they were all talking about how low that was, and how it was likely to go up soon! Historically that is still low, we've just been in this bizzaro world where the Fed loans money at 0% for so long it's easy to forget that these low, low interest rates aren't normal. If and when the economy ever recovers the rates will go right back up there again.

StarZapper on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Mine was like 3.99% I think? It got pushed up a bit because of my relatively low down payment, I believe.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

4.5 to 2.5

Ours is as well and I'd love to refinance, but our credit has gone off a cliff the last two years so lol.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    2 folks coming back for second showings today. Let the bidding war commence!

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Man, I got 4.25 I think in 2014 which was pretty good, and this last November reduced it to...3.5 I think? I've mostly tried not to think if how ungodly low it would be right now because the refi was such a hassle.

The muni bond rates I track for my job basically hit their all time low again in late July, and they've just been dropping steadily since.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I too have 4.25%. I might like to refi but I'm not sure the hassle and closing costs would be worth it.

In other fun news, Trump's nuking of the post office has caused my insurance payment to go missing, and my policy expires Monday. Both the bank and the insurance company responded to me with a shrug and said to call back Monday to see if the payment arrived yet. It was sent over a month ago, so I have my doubts. Pretty sure I get to pay this one out of pocket and pray that somehow, someway my escrow gets refunded and they cut me a check or something.

As an aside, I positively hate the automated voice response hedge maze you have to navigate in order to get a human being on the phone.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

End vent/rant

Your on the hook for your earnest money, but check the price per square foot of houses sold in your neighborhood. And if it doesn’t appraise you can back out for the cost of your earnest money. Did you wave the inspection contingency? And can you use the inspection report to back out if you need too?

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    We need to replace all the smoke detectors for a 2 story house. I have no idea how much we should spend. Recommendations?

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    We need to replace all the smoke detectors for a 2 story house. I have no idea how much we should spend. Recommendations?

Go to the Lowes site?

* See if the existing ones are hardwired or if they just have batteries.
    * For anything near a kitchen or bathroom, make sure you get a photoelectric smoke detector, not ionization. (Ionization will detect steam.)
    * Make sure you have a photoelectric and ionization smoke detector on both floors. (These trigger under different circumstances, so having both around can be useful.)

And yes, get a name brand. They're not that expensive. You have options below $20/each.

• Options
    So, the garage floor is finished, and came out really nice. The floor will take a few more days to fully cure, though.

• Options

Go to the Lowes site?

* For anything near a kitchen or bathroom, make sure you get a photoelectric smoke detector, not ionization. (Ionization will detect steam.)
    * Make sure you have a photoelectric and ionization smoke detector on both floors. (These trigger under different circumstances, so having both around can be useful.)

And yes, get a name brand. They're not that expensive. You have options below $20/each.

Also consider getting "10 year" units - these have an internal battery designed to last the service life of the detector, so that you are not needing to replace batteries twice a year.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

Go to the Lowes site?

Also consider getting "10 year" units - these have an internal battery designed to last the service life of the detector, so that you are not needing to replace batteries twice a year.

Wait... are you supposed to replace smoke detectors periodically?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options

Go to the Lowes site?

Wait... are you supposed to replace smoke detectors periodically?

Yes. Standard smoke detectors have a 5-10 year service life.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Go to the Lowes site?

Also have at least one Carbon Monoxide detector per floor and if you go for combination CO/Smoke detectors get the ones that talk (will make a tone and then say carbon monoxide or Fire/smoke) when activated

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I have the nest fire/smoke/CO detectors through out my house.

I really like them and have had no issues. Plus it's fun to run a test on them when my mom is over babysitting and I'm out of the house :)

I did kinda mess up and put one in a hallway outside and too close to a bathroom door that my wife uses to shower in and the steam will sometimes make it chirp (not actually alarming, it thinks it has dust in it). Even though it has a setting where steam is not supposed to mess with it.

Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    The thermostat in our house is in a silly spot, upstairs hallway with no vents and by the stairs where all the hot air collects. It just ends up being really unresponsive, runs the AC too long to cool and then flips on at weird temps in for the rest of the house. I've got a Nest remote sensor coming in that I'm going to put in the downstairs family room and hopefully setting it to main will make the AC act a little more reasonably.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    The thermostat in our house is in a silly spot, upstairs hallway with no vents and by the stairs where all the hot air collects. It just ends up being really unresponsive, runs the AC too long to cool and then flips on at weird temps in for the rest of the house. I've got a Nest remote sensor coming in that I'm going to put in the downstairs family room and hopefully setting it to main will make the AC act a little more reasonably.

I was hesitant about the nest remote sensors after seeing some bad reviews but they're pretty good. It's manual which sensor it uses to determine temperature but I don't really see any way it could not be manual, so that seems okay to me? I've got them throughout my upstairs now since it tends to be wildly different temperatures in the bedroom, my office, my fiancee's office, the guest room, and the landing (where the thermostat actually is).

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

Go to the Lowes site?

Also have at least one Carbon Monoxide detector per floor and if you go for combination CO/Smoke detectors get the ones that talk (will make a tone and then say carbon monoxide or Fire/smoke) when activated

Do not use combination detectors. CO and smoke detectors need to be mounted at different heights to be effective.

• Options

Go to the Lowes site?

Do not use combination detectors. CO and smoke detectors need to be mounted at different heights to be effective.

I've never seen anything to suggest that there is a significant disadvantage for having a ceiling mounted CO detector

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    CO sits on the floor. By the time your ceiling mounted CO detector gets a whiff of it, the room is nearly full of CO.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    CO sits on the floor. By the time your ceiling mounted CO detector gets a whiff of it, the room is nearly full of CO.

I've never heard this and the EPA says otherwise.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

Note that that article says to mount CO detectors 5' above the floor, while smoke detectors are commonly mounted on the ceiling.

In an average house, there's enough air movement to keep things mixed up, so I doubt that the density of air vs CO matters that much; I think 5' is because many CO detectors have a readout of current levels, and 5' is a good reading height. (It's also near mouth height, so the quality of air at 5' is what actually matters.)

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Selling has been stressful so far. One of the second showings cancelled at the last minute. The other stayed longer than scheduled, walked our neighborhood down to a lake/park after, and brought parents with... But they haven't even listed their place yet.

Showing that called our realtor off the yard sign today just didn't show. And we have another first timer this evening.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options

Yeah, nah, the only gas you're likely to encounter in a typical household environment with a density heavier then air is Propane.

• Options

Note that that article says to mount CO detectors 5' above the floor, while smoke detectors are commonly mounted on the ceiling.

In an average house, there's enough air movement to keep things mixed up, so I doubt that the density of air vs CO matters that much; I think 5' is because many CO detectors have a readout of current levels, and 5' is a good reading height. (It's also near mouth height, so the quality of air at 5' is what actually matters.)

Some CO detectors are cumulative and the 5 ft recommendation likely comes because that will keep them from getting triggered during non critical events (it's Thanksgiving and the oven is on all day with the windows closed) because some gas burning appliances will generate minute build ups of CO in the house over time even when functioning properly. CO detector goes off, fire department gets called, they never find a reading over 2 ppm, rinse and repeat.

Contrast that when a water heater, dryer or oven is malfunctioning and is dangerous - when the detector is at 5 ft your chances of getting a false positive is basically zero.

But the reality is the detectors will do just fine on the ceiling if an accidental activation isn't going to lead you being dumb or complacent

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It just occurred to me that one of our CO detectors is about three feet from our pellet stove and near the floor. So either the stove is super well vented or that detector never worked.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    It just occurred to me that one of our CO detectors is about three feet from our pellet stove and near the floor. So either the stove is super well vented or that detector never worked.

I've never seen a pellet stove in a house I walked into for CO but that's because I work in urban New Jersey.

Most of the stoves that tend to be "slightly defective" are also either very old or sometimes very dirty.

The ones that are throwing dangerous levels tend to be old as shit and in bad repair but that of course isn't a hard truth.

Badly vented dryers are a big one but the most likely culprit to be both relatively late model and competently installed seems to be gas water heaters.

• Options

Yeah, nah, the only gas you're likely to encounter in a typical household environment with a density heavier then air is Propane.

Also don't forget Radon, but that's mostly harmless and in basements.

• Options
    StarZapper wrote: »

Also technically hydrogen sulfide but that's more of a digging hazard

• Options

Radon is its own beast, and is handled differently. I live in a region where radon is a problem, so I paid for a radon test as part of the home inspection, and my home has a passive mitigation system.

• Options

Radon is its own beast, and is handled differently. I live in a region where radon is a problem, so I paid for a radon test as part of the home inspection, and my home has a passive mitigation system.

Well yes, I also live in a place it's prevalent and tested my home twice just to be safe, but my point is it's not deadly in the same way. Long term, if you live exposed to high amounts of it yes it increases your odds of cancer considerably, but it won't kill you like carbon monoxide will. Or propane for that matter.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Radon is not a carbon monoxide level instant death threat, but it’s still incredibly nasty and you should not ignore it/the potential for it

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

I was hesitant about the nest remote sensors after seeing some bad reviews but they're pretty good. It's manual which sensor it uses to determine temperature but I don't really see any way it could not be manual, so that seems okay to me? I've got them throughout my upstairs now since it tends to be wildly different temperatures in the bedroom, my office, my fiancee's office, the guest room, and the landing (where the thermostat actually is).

Not gonna lie I didn't even think about looking at reviews, I was stoked that they had something and $40 is a pretty easy price to try something. I'm glad to hear it's manual, having to try to automatically pick which sensor it's using as main seems like a nightmare

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Can anyone ID the following plants for me? I weeded my front flowerbeds this weekend and the jungle I had let grow there had choked some of them out and they need replacing.
    j453s1fcrjtp.jpeg
    i08bq4mbt1mh.jpeg

5gsowHm.png
This discussion has been closed.