As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WOOF WOOF: It's a Dog Thread

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    fc0pa9ze71us.jpg

This is Ruff. I was lucky enough to have him for 14 years. He passed away yesterday. Taking care of him was maybe the best thing I've ever done with my life.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    There are some excellent small dogs out there but it really can't be overstated how wonderful it is to use a giant fluff machine as a pillow

I don't think I'd be able to go for smaller than a medium dog

...except maybe for a Schipperke, they're SO FLUFFY and they're called The Little Captains since they were bred to go on small boats!!

schipperke-card-medium.jpg?bust=1535567917&width=560

@Javen

also, there are a pair of schipperkes on my block

1 of them has zero chill and barks at everybody and everything, the other one wants to go for a walk and for her brother to shut up

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    fc0pa9ze71us.jpg

This is Ruff. I was lucky enough to have him for 14 years. He passed away yesterday. Taking care of him was maybe the best thing I've ever done with my life.

Aw man, I'm so sorry. Ruff sounds like he was an amazing dog.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Hey Cello, my new dog urinates when she gets startled. I've not scolded her on it or anything because it seems like it's an uncontrolled behavior, but is there anything I can do to stop it?

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Hey Cello, my new dog urinates when she gets startled. I've not scolded her on it or anything because it seems like it's an uncontrolled behavior, but is there anything I can do to stop it?

How old is she/what breed/how long have you had her/any history of previous homes etc?

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Stop gap question until cello turns up, but how old is she?
    Cause sometimes it’s just lack of bladder control combined with fear/excitement (which gets naturally better as they get older, we had to deal with it with the lab puppy but she got way less incontinent by around 8-10 months).
    With adult dogs, especially rescues, it can be a submission display, which is a bit harder since you can’t do much about that directly. The more comfortable and confident she feels in her environment the less it should happen, I would say ignore the wee, but be calm and gentle with her when she gets startled.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

Stop gap question until cello turns up, but how old is she?
    Cause sometimes it’s just lack of bladder control combined with fear/excitement (which gets naturally better as they get older, we had to deal with it with the lab puppy but she got way less incontinent by around 8-10 months).
    With adult dogs, especially rescues, it can be a submission display, which is a bit harder since you can’t do much about that directly. The more comfortable and confident she feels in her environment the less it should happen, I would say ignore the wee, but be calm and gentle with her when she gets startled.

Yeah, this is pretty much the sum of it! There's also some breeds e.g. Dalmatians that are more likely to develop bladder issues, in which case I'd advise getting checked if there's an infection, but otherwise Tynic nailed it

Steam
  • Options
    She's 4, GSD mix, I've had her for two weeks. So far she's peed when:
    I accidentally stepped on her foot
    The broom fell next to her and made a loud noise
    I sang along to a song and totally nailed the high notes
    She was asleep at the foot of the fridge and the ice machine turned on

• Options
    She's 4, GSD mix, I've had her for two weeks. So far she's peed when:
    I accidentally stepped on her foot
    The broom fell next to her and made a loud noise
    I sang along to a song and totally nailed the high notes
    She was asleep at the foot of the fridge and the ice machine turned on

Hmmm, yeah, more likely than not anxiety then

Did wherever you adopted her from have a history? What number of home you were, if there was a history of abuse or anything?

Steam
  • Options
    Two weeks is pretty early in your relationship, I’d give it a while and see if it tapers off as she settles in and gets used to what noises and events are normal.

• Options
    I'm her second home, she was at the shelter for 5 days. She was surrendered because she was in a room full of unsupervised kids and one of them ran up to her waving their arms in her face and she nipped the kid. If there's a history of abuse, it wasn't reported at time of surrender. She does not flinch or anything if I lift a hand or approach her with an object, though. I've been stern with her before when she was trying to get out the front door, or jumping up on people, or a kerfuffle with another dog, and she didn't respond fearfully or give any calming signals, she just stopped the behavior.

• Options
    I'm her second home, she was at the shelter for 5 days. She was surrendered because she was in a room full of unsupervised kids and one of them ran up to her waving their arms in her face and she nipped the kid. If there's a history of abuse, it wasn't reported at time of surrender. She does not flinch or anything if I lift a hand or approach her with an object, though. I've been stern with her before when she was trying to get out the front door, or jumping up on people, or a kerfuffle with another dog, and she didn't respond fearfully or give any calming signals, she just stopped the behavior.

Okay yeah, that's good then! (I mostly wanted to see if there was any other behaviour that might have signaled other things you'd have to socialize her to, or if she was nervous outside of the home like a few of our recent clients)

Like Tynic said it's likely just nerves from being in a new space then, and it should reduce over time. GSDs can be sound sensitive too, and the noises you described can be sharp and surprising. When it happens, basically, just calmly tell her it's alright and let her outside, and it should diminish over time as she settles in. Punishment would just make the experience scarier - you want her to feel comfortable and not make whatever happened into an *event*.

I wouldn't be too concerned about her around kids based on the one incident, but just make sure she's on lead if you're going anywhere there'd be some. If the kid was being a shit, she might have either wanted to play and mouthed them, wanted to tell them to back off, or nipped because the kid ran and activated her prey/herding drive. Hard to tell from a brief description, but if there was no history of similar behaviour I think you'll be fine.

Steam
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    it'll take several weeks to over a month for a dog to become comfortable enough to recognize a place as their home

• Options
    Cello wrote: »

Okay yeah, that's good then! (I mostly wanted to see if there was any other behaviour that might have signaled other things you'd have to socialize her to, or if she was nervous outside of the home like a few of our recent clients)

Like Tynic said it's likely just nerves from being in a new space then, and it should reduce over time. GSDs can be sound sensitive too, and the noises you described can be sharp and surprising. When it happens, basically, just calmly tell her it's alright and let her outside, and it should diminish over time as she settles in. Punishment would just make the experience scarier - you want her to feel comfortable and not make whatever happened into an *event*.

I wouldn't be too concerned about her around kids based on the one incident, but just make sure she's on lead if you're going anywhere there'd be some. If the kid was being a shit, she might have either wanted to play and mouthed them, wanted to tell them to back off, or nipped because the kid ran and activated her prey/herding drive. Hard to tell from a brief description, but if there was no history of similar behaviour I think you'll be fine.

I'm not worried at all over the kids thing. I might dislike small children more than her, so I understand where she's coming from.

Thanks, y'all! :heartbeat:

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    There’s enough dog now. Well done, keep it up!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Part of me wants a husky/malamute but it's ever too hot for one here. My brother makes fun of that statement pointing out the number of people that have huskies around us. the ever panting dog
    The woman the runs the wolf recuse in the area/state makes fun of the fact I am one of the few people she would trust to have a wolf and not turn it into an aggressive animal. or to abuse it. While pointing to the number she brings along with her to events to show the idiots who get wolves and have no idea how to care for them

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Hey I checked the last eight years' worth of photos of my boy (I don't have good photo records from 2010-2012) and confirm

Still the best boy

DOSwmQ0h.jpg
    6vsL0bLh.jpg

L2hmGhuh.jpg

rBkLACwh.jpg

0JdGB90h.jpg

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Oh man I just discovered Staffie Bull Wolfhound and I think that could be my perfect dog. LOOK AT THIS FACE

ngljbefwnst0.jpg

Realistically if I do get a smaller dog it will probably be some flavour of Staffie because they are definitely my favourite not-giant dog. Also my mum really dislikes them so it would be funny to have one to annoy her.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Oh my goodness

1lo9d9b0dt0f.jpg

That's a staffador/labrastaff and I think we have a winner. Perfect size, short coat, don't bark much, easy to train and super affectionate. They are meant to be about the best dogs to have with small kids too. And loook at him, oh my heart.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    1sjli4b8cvzs.png

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    okay I can't post a picture of that particular girl without talking about one of my favourite things to come out of all the families we placed dogs with

So that little girl up there is Padme, and she came to us as a puppy for us to help find a home for her. We had this giant oversized stuffed bear that had been picked up in a post-Valentines day sale and while our dogs played with it a bit they were mostly indifferent. Padme though, claimed the bear immediately.

16l5ik03rs5c.png

It took a few tries for her to learn how to sleep on top of the bear without rolling off, but she was determined and eventually got the hang of it:
    uqy8kbjl1i2h.png

So when the time came for her to go to her new family, there was no question - the bear went too. The new family was maybe a little confused that their new puppy came with a stuffed bear 4 times her size, but they were cool with it, and have stayed in touch over the years, sending us updates, pictures, etc.

07zlhu3jpvh1.png
    1odnlqb8k4t1.png

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    qqugpstkjmxm.jpeg
    Tilly (English Pointer) and Brian (Chocolate Lab) enjoy wrasslin’, licking each others’ snouts, and chasing rabbits.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    stqgnjvagtla.jpeg

I made a decision yesterday - maybe it was too soon, but I saw him online, and his name was Russ, and he was within a distance that a family member could take me to get him, and said family member said it was a sign / it was meant to be.

I decided to tweek his name slightly - this is Russell, a four month old husky/poodle mix.

I've learned in the last 18 hours that while I was 100% an expert on Ruff, that does not make me an expert on dogs! And I haven't had a puppy in 14 years. But we're going to figure it out together.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    stqgnjvagtla.jpeg

I made a decision yesterday - maybe it was too soon, but I saw him online, and his name was Russ, and he was within a distance that a family member could take me to get him, and said family member said it was a sign / it was meant to be.

I decided to tweek his name slightly - this is Russell, a four month old husky/poodle mix.

I've learned in the last 18 hours that while I was 100% an expert on Ruff, that does not make me an expert on dogs! And I haven't had a puppy in 14 years. But we're going to figure it out together.

Oh man, the husky eyes!! Congratulations!! A husky/poodle mix is gonna be a handful in all the best ways

Steam
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Those are the eyes our old man had before he went blind. Love husky eyes. Huskies and husky mixes are great.

• Options
    Christ. That dog is gonna be real smart and real headstrong. You're in for a time.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It's going to have its own opinions about what is or is not a good idea and it probably won't match your own thinking, and it won't care!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    He already looks like he's had enough of whatever it is that he has had.

• Options
    Ruff was an exceptionally clever and headstrong dog, so I feel like I already have 14 years of experience with that. I've been really surprised - Russell is a really gentle boy. He's barked one time, and that was at a random squirrel at the park - it wasn't even a mean bark, more just a LOOK AT THAT bark. Ruff was a rescue dog - whatever happened to him in the first six months before I got him really colored his entire life (he wouldn't let anyone touch his feet for any reason, as an example). But Russell appears to be the exact opposite - he's very chill about everything. Maybe that will change?

The biggest issue right now is that both of my cats are really upset about the situation. Ruff and I found two little chicken nuggets in the woods when they were three weeks old, and now they're both over six years old - and they both really hate change. I'm hoping they come around soon, but I don't really know what I can do to speed that process up, or if speeding it up is even desirable.

Anyhow, I'll keep the thread updated with more pics as time goes on.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Ruff was an exceptionally clever and headstrong dog, so I feel like I already have 14 years of experience with that. I've been really surprised - Russell is a really gentle boy. He's barked one time, and that was at a random squirrel at the park - it wasn't even a mean bark, more just a LOOK AT THAT bark. Ruff was a rescue dog - whatever happened to him in the first six months before I got him really colored his entire life (he wouldn't let anyone touch his feet for any reason, as an example). But Russell appears to be the exact opposite - he's very chill about everything. Maybe that will change?

The biggest issue right now is that both of my cats are really upset about the situation. Ruff and I found two little chicken nuggets in the woods when they were three weeks old, and now they're both over six years old - and they both really hate change. I'm hoping they come around soon, but I don't really know what I can do to speed that process up, or if speeding it up is even desirable.

Anyhow, I'll keep the thread updated with more pics as time goes on.

Cats are cats. They'll deal or they wont. Make sure they have ways to get away from the dog, like shelves and other up high places. Also to perch and sleep where he can't get them. As long as they still have spaces that are "theirs" it will help a lot. Also make sure the dog can't fuck with them when they eat or go to the bathroom (if you use litter boxes).

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    We took Stanley up to Fell Foot Park for a splash in lake Windemere

xFMVCUkl.jpg
    He was not amused, and would only trudge slowly along as long as the water did not touch his belly

79m3rjhl.jpg
    He much preferred watching from the lakeside whilst we played in the water

M0V8xLil.jpg
    And was thoroughly tired out after his shower when we got home

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Two weeks is pretty early in your relationship, I’d give it a while and see if it tapers off as she settles in and gets used to what noises and events are normal.

yeah hell i've been dating my BF for 7 years now and i still accidentally pee on him when he yells

• Options
    StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    cewbhmaapilv.jpg

This is Buddy, The shelter thought he was somewhere around 6 or 7 and just one giant ball of fluff. I rescued him about 8 months ago now and hes just the best calmest sweetest dog. Was a bit concerned about adopting a husky in Florida but dude doesn't seem to be bothered by the heat one bit. I think i'm going to take him camping with me in November or so for the first time when it starts to get a bit cooler during the day, he might not mind the heat but I sure cant handle it. Ive never been camping with a dog and im a bit nervous but also pretty excited to just spend a weekend hanging out outside with him.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i was walking with the BF saturday and we were walking by a fence with wide slats when all of a sudden we were confronted by two very long boopable noses which we did boop of.

no idea what the dogs were, probably greyhounds or similar but the endured many boops and were very nice puppos.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Stationary wrote: »
    cewbhmaapilv.jpg

This is Buddy, The shelter thought he was somewhere around 6 or 7 and just one giant ball of fluff. I rescued him about 8 months ago now and hes just the best calmest sweetest dog. Was a bit concerned about adopting a husky in Florida but dude doesn't seem to be bothered by the heat one bit. I think i'm going to take him camping with me in November or so for the first time when it starts to get a bit cooler during the day, he might not mind the heat but I sure cant handle it. Ive never been camping with a dog and im a bit nervous but also pretty excited to just spend a weekend hanging out outside with him.

Huskies can handle heat as long as they've got plenty of water. Malamutes are super heat intolerant.

ACed house in the middle of the summer is aces for most huskies I imagine anyway.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I can't stop looking at puppies. Send help.

No, wait, don't send help. Send puppies.

• Options
    StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Stationary wrote: »
    cewbhmaapilv.jpg

Huskies can handle heat as long as they've got plenty of water. Malamutes are super heat intolerant.

ACed house in the middle of the summer is aces for most huskies I imagine anyway.

Yeah between th a/c vent and the floor fan we keep in the computer room dude just plops down at the cross section of both and is good

• Options
    I met a Great Pyrenees on the weekend at a semi-private class we're hosting with four dogs, and also my first Berner from the European line (the other type, the Canadian style, are smaller but with longer lives generally)

The Euro Berner is HUGE and I love him

Excited to see the next group class tonight, which my Mom told me has four German Shepherds under six months I cannot wait

Steam
  • Options
    gaoyc7w9uz9r.jpg

Russell did great at the vet today, and met a ton of new friends at the park. He's tuckered out at home now.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    He looks so mad.