As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Seriously a 17/19 and/or a 43/43x/48 particularly with shield arms hitting a home run with their 15 round mag makes those the easiest handguns for me to a) shoot b) own c) recommend.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Seriously a 17/19 and/or a 43/43x/48 particularly with shield arms hitting a home run with their 15 round mag makes those the easiest handguns for me to a) shoot b) own c) recommend.

thinking hard about a MP 2.0 Compact Performance Center model, although I can shoot a G19 very well

Cost is similar, but ported barrel, OEM Apex trigger kit, extended slide release

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.

thinking hard about a MP 2.0 Compact Performance Center model, although I can shoot a G19 very well

Cost is similar, but ported barrel, OEM Apex trigger kit, extended slide release

Nothing wrong with those, gen 5 have extended slide releases also.

Heard great things about the 2.0’s

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My Holosun showed up, it is very nice! It is supposed to last over 100,000 hours on a single battery!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    My Holosun showed up, it is very nice! It is supposed to last over 100,000 hours on a single battery!

...just not the battery it came with. A good battery.

My 507c makes the same claim, but I had to replace the battery after ~1 year and not *that* much use. I'm optimistic that the new battery will last much longer. Maybe.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Doc wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

...just not the battery it came with. A good battery.

My 507c makes the same claim, but I had to replace the battery after ~1 year and not *that* much use. I'm optimistic that the new battery will last much longer. Maybe.

Hahaha. Good to know. I'll get a spare. I need to get one of those stocks with a storage compartment.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    It’s probbly good practice to change batteries in your optics, smoke alarms, safes, etc once a year anyway on your birthday or some date you remember

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I want to go shoot, but ammo is so expensive right now.

I think maybe the plan will be to just buy some cheaper steel cased junk and only shoot it from my Hi Point (which I paid $80 for), instead of my other pistol (which I love and cherish).

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I've been enjoying shooting .22lr during the ammo shortage. It's been fun target plinking, since me and everyone I know had at least a few hundred rounds of 22 laying around if not more.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Yeah ammo has gotten pants on head loony toons right now. Checking ammoseek I'm seeing wolf steelcase 9mm go for easily 40cents per round plus shipping. It's insane. I still have a decent reserve supply of ammo as i don't get to shoot that much but holy hell I haven't seen ammo runs this bad not since Sandy Hook and honestly I think this is worse given the probably reduced manufacturing capacity due to covid.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I think ammo will be plentiful come November, no matter who wins.

I've been meaning to ask if there are any non US firearms enthusiasts in the thread and if they're having trouble getting Ammo as well.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    I've been enjoying shooting .22lr during the ammo shortage. It's been fun target plinking, since me and everyone I know had at least a few hundred rounds of 22 laying around if not more.

Yeah I'm actually happy to have a pretty hefty stockpile of .22 and even better, my only .22 is a bolt action rifle on top of it. I'm probably going to focus on that rifle or the other rifles I can actually load ammo for at home with my reloading supplies. I have plenty to make all the .223, .308 and 30.06 I can shoot if needed, but 9mm and .45 are my major pain points.

Yeah I'm actually happy to have a pretty hefty stockpile of .22 and even better, my only .22 is a bolt action rifle on top of it. I'm probably going to focus on that rifle or the other rifles I can actually load ammo for at home with my reloading supplies. I have plenty to make all the .223, .308 and 30.06 I can shoot if needed, but 9mm and .45 are my major pain points.

Same. I never got the dies for 9mm or 45 and figured I'd get around to it later. I should have gotten them and been saving brass. Oh well, I'll know better next time around.

• Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    I'm clearly one of the lucky ones, as I can roll up to Academy on Monday mornings and pick up 9mm with no fuss* and no real markup. :?

* albeit limited to 3 boxes, but those boxes can include 200 round range packs.

I'd just be happy to find any 9mm that isn't 40+ cents a round for steelcase at this point.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    https://ots.nbcwpshield.com/qa/news/national-international/9th-circuit-ends-california-ban-on-high-capacity-magazines/5342273/
    A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Friday threw out California's ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines, saying the law violates the U.S. Constitution's protection of the right to bear firearms.

• shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    https://ots.nbcwpshield.com/qa/news/national-international/9th-circuit-ends-california-ban-on-high-capacity-magazines/5342273/
    A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Friday threw out California's ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines, saying the law violates the U.S. Constitution's protection of the right to bear firearms.

There doesn't seem to be any opening yet to start buying mags, even though some places have said they'll start shipping.

https://firearmspolicy.org/9th-circuit-holds-large-capacity-firearm-magazines-protected-2nd-amendment
    Thus, until a new order is issued, the above is the state of the law in the State of California. It is possible that Judge Benitez issues a new order and allows sales to re-commence, but it seems more likely that the status quo is maintained until the resolution of any en banc petition, sua sponte call for rehearing en banc, en banc proceedings, or perhaps even a petition for certiorari to the U.S. Supreme Court.

• NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Certainly it will take time to shake out but it's a huge step for the 9th Circuit. The decision also found that strict scrutiny should be applied to gun control laws, and that even under intermediate scrutiny the restriction is an infringement.

I don't have any 22 ammo, or a gun that fires 22, but after things ease down I'm planning on rectifying that.

I am currently sitting on 1300 rounds of 5.56 and 300 rounds of 223, but only 250 rounds of 9mm. It's all brass bought either before prices went gonzo or right at the beginning of the climb when things were still reasonable. It's kinda scary looking at my little pile of boxes and knowing that it would cost me almost a thousand dollars to buy it all today.

On one hand, I have a healthy amount of ammo.

On the other hand, if I were to sell some at current rates, I could probably pay off my truck.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

On the other hand, if I were to sell some at current rates, I could probably pay off my truck.

Unless your truck is a 1986 Ford Courier, that seems kinda weird, to me?

Also, if true, why the hell wouldn't you?

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

probably the same reason folks didn't sell their video cards when prices were up during the bitcoin mining scarcity

you're still using it

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    It'll be worth a lot more in the lawless, post apocalyptic wastelands of America in the far off future of December 2020.

I wonder what the turnaround time is for manufacturing ammo, anyway. If the prices always go up on a regular four year cycle due to pre-election shortages than it seems like it would be prudent to ramp up manufacturing to compensate. I figure ammo manufacturers are happy to see prices skyrocket, but high prices just means it's easier to undercut everyone else and sell more product if you're sitting on a stockpile of ammo from your increased production. Is there a shitload of federal red tape involved that guns up the works?

What portion of the end user's cost for ammo is determined by the manufacturer versus the retailer, anyway? Does ammo have an MSRP?

So many questions.

• PhantPhant Registered User regular
    9mm Makarov seems fairly reasonably priced still, which is nice. The joys of the less popular 9mm.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    It'll be worth a lot more in the lawless, post apocalyptic wastelands of America in the far off future of December 2020.

I wonder what the turnaround time is for manufacturing ammo, anyway. If the prices always go up on a regular four year cycle due to pre-election shortages than it seems like it would be prudent to ramp up manufacturing to compensate. I figure ammo manufacturers are happy to see prices skyrocket, but high prices just means it's easier to undercut everyone else and sell more product if you're sitting on a stockpile of ammo from your increased production. Is there a shitload of federal red tape involved that guns up the works?

What portion of the end user's cost for ammo is determined by the manufacturer versus the retailer, anyway? Does ammo have an MSRP?

So many questions.

No one is sitting on huge unsold stockpiles though. Well, no production facilities. The larger producers were already running at or near capacity before the start of this year, which is why prices were reasonable and ammo was plentiful. You aren't going to see Federal or Winchester build a new facility and start a whole new production line for what amounts to a bump in the road for the civilian market, there would need to be a renewed government demand for ammo, as in, new contracts in the hundreds of millions or billions of rounds. The Federal Lake City plant, just a single facility, makes 1.6 billion rounds of various military calibers a year. Running 7 days a week that's about 4.4 million a day. The guy grousing about buying a case of 5.56 for $400 this year instead of $260 last year isn't even a rounding error when it comes to capacity. While there is increased demand for it now, there isn't increased necessity, manufacturers aren't going to lose anything in the civilian market by raising prices instead of increasing production.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png

Because I will shoot it, and it was ammo bought over the course of years when ammo was normal priced and not 2-3x as expensive as it is now.

@chr1sh4ll3ttb3 wait til you hear about my magazine ban retirement plan

So many questions.

From what I understand from a video put out by an FFL who has been sitting in on conference calls with the biggest producer of ammo (they own Federal, Speer, and another that I don't recall right now) it's a mix of things.

First demand is up 200%. And this isn't demand from people who are building up their stores but a mix of buying for relatively immediate consumption as well as new gun owners. What the industry thinks they are seeing is a huge growth of the market that now includes more women first time buyers and more non white first time buyers with a huge increase in black Americans purchasing firearms.

The second is that the manufacturers are looking at the profit margin that retailers are getting versus the price they get from distributing to wholesalers and deciding that they want it all and are building an online direct to consumer presence. The prices probably won't be cheaper than retail because that's leaving money on the table. But it means less stock available for wholesale distributers to then sell on to retailers.

The third is of course, like always, absolutely huge contract orders from government. IIRC he said most of the production capacity for Speer right now is going towards government purchases.

The FFL referenced is Marskman Shooting Sports.

As to the second point: I find it interesting because a similar thing happened to Warsaw Pact surplus ammo market a few years ago. The 7n6 import ban did a doozy on the 5.45 cartridge and tbe Arab Spring and Ukraine definitely had an effect on 7.62x54r, but just before both of those IIRC a verified FFL importer posted a thread on ARFCOM about how the guys who happened to have huge stockpiles of Soviet milsurp ammo fall into their laps finally started looking at the US sites selling their ammo and were outraged because they felt like they were getting fleeced.

They saw it as leaving money on the table because importers and retailers were selling e.g. 5.45 for something like 15cpr but were paying the Eastern Europeans IIRC around 10cpr. So there was a small increase in price already before the wars and import ban (which to be clear isn't a ban but a classification of a rifle cartridge as an armor piercing handgun cartridge by the BATFE if IIRC in line with the proposed green tip ban, so defund the cops but do the ATF first).

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    3cjd3905oh6e.jpg

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    -Insert pedantic SVD is not actually an AK it uses a short stroke system comment.

A PKM isn't an AK either, but that's not the point of the joke...

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    -Insert pedantic SVD is not actually an AK it uses a short stroke system comment.

Though in the US you're more likely to see PSLs being called "Dragunovs" and PSLs are based on RPKs which share parts with AKMs.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Let’s be honest though, “Dragunov” is a cool name for anything

Sounds like a big Russian Dragon

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Let’s be honest though, “Dragunov” is a cool name for anything

Sounds like a big Russian Dragon

A friend of mine in high school from Russia corrected me when I kept calling it a "Dragonov" and I'm glad he did because Dragunov with a long 'u' sound just sounds more ready to wreck shit.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    A PKM isn't an AK either, but that's not the point of the joke...

I mean the PKM and AK series share a lot on common, which is due to Kalashnikov designing both. I've heard it said that the PKM is just a bigger, upside down AK.

Welp, so much for getting excited about a fast turnaround for my Lonewolf Glock. I just got an update from them that they've completed assembly and boresighting of the slide (yay!) and have now sent it for refinishing (double yay!) but that the coating I selected is not a commonly selected color/protection combination so the batch will take an extended amount of time to complete, roughly 6-8 more weeks (booooooo).

So...welp at least I have the pistol frame to admire in my safe while I await the final piece. I'm sure with how quarantine is messing with my sense of time, it'll either get here tomorrow or 12 years from now.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    shorttimin wrote: »

There doesn't seem to be any opening yet to start buying mags, even though some places have said they'll start shipping.

https://firearmspolicy.org/9th-circuit-holds-large-capacity-firearm-magazines-protected-2nd-amendment
    Thus, until a new order is issued, the above is the state of the law in the State of California. It is possible that Judge Benitez issues a new order and allows sales to re-commence, but it seems more likely that the status quo is maintained until the resolution of any en banc petition, sua sponte call for rehearing en banc, en banc proceedings, or perhaps even a petition for certiorari to the U.S. Supreme Court.

I don't see how limiting magazine size restricts your right to bear arms at all. Hell in the founding father's age a single shot was sufficient to be considered bearing arms.

kaid wrote: »
    shorttimin wrote: »

I don't see how limiting magazine size restricts your right to bear arms at all. Hell in the founding father's age a single shot was sufficient to be considered bearing arms.

And at the time a quill and ink was sufficient for written speech.

• Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »

If you don't see how imposing a limit, well, restricts what you can do then I'm not sure what to say.

Personally, I have no problem with California limiting magazine sizes to 10 rounds. However, the legal problem seems to include the logic they used to support that ban; the stated aim was to reduce gun violence (good!) but restricting magazine size is not really a solution to that.

It's theatre at best, and at worst it adds additional laws to the books for no real reason. I'm not really a fan of introducing new laws without good evidence they'll help.