As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Primary Source

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Primary Source

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I'm not sure what this comic is specifically in reference to, but the US president hired private contractors to send out unmarked vehicles full of people in unidentified uniforms to abduct political protesters off the streets to be held at unknown locations.

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/17/892277592/federal-officers-use-unmarked-vehicles-to-grab-protesters-in-portland

I think things have gotten pretty fucking Orwellian.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I'm not sure what this comic is specifically in reference to

Epic Games didn't want to play by Apple's (admittedly bonkers) rules so Apple pulled Fortnite off its devices. Epic made an as specifically referencing Apple's ridiculous 1984 ad from back in the day and sent out a call to mobilize its fanbase against Apple, the killers of freedom and open platforms. Which is especially gauche since Epic's entire goal is to lock as many games as possible to its platform.

And yeah, the fact that *actual* Orwellian stuff is going on just makes the whole thing that much more ridiculous.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure what this comic is specifically in reference to, but the US president hired private contractors to send out unmarked vehicles full of people in unidentified uniforms to abduct political protesters off the streets to be held at unknown locations.

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/17/892277592/federal-officers-use-unmarked-vehicles-to-grab-protesters-in-portland

That particular incident was done by NYPD officers.

Furthermore, no actual authoritarianism is really Orwellian because 1984 is more a reflection of Orwell's cultural and sexual hangups than an accurate reflection of how authoritarians really behave.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Which is especially gauche since Epic's entire goal is to lock as many games as possible to its platform.

But, but, but our gulags have nice cement floors, and the food is slightly less cold. :biggrin:

ironzerg on
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Meh. Companies play hardball in the court of public opinion. It's fun watching Apple be hoisted by their own petard.

IMHO, it's all winners here. Smashing Apple's walled garden, if successful, is nothing but a positive. Epic and Apple wasting at on of money on lawyers is a net positive. Less kids playing Fortnite... well that's probably the best part of all.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Epic's comparison to 1984 is ridiculous, but only in the same way Apple's original ad was ridiculous. Epic is referencing that ad more than they're actually referencing the meat of 1984.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    ...the meat of 1984.

Is this a sex joke? It's been a while since I read the Cliff Notes for 1984.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    It isn't just Apple. It's the Google Play store as well.

Apple put a way into Mobile Fortnite that allowed them to circumvent both the Apple App Store and the Google Play store, and extract money from its players without any of the cut going to Apple/Google. They didn't like that and pulled the Fortnite listing from both stores.

I've seen articles online that claim the whole thing was a carefully laid trap by Epic, with the intent of bringing antitrust judication against both of them, since in both evironments the only way to get your app out to people is through the two platform's stores. By circumventing the store, Epic angered both of them. And I guess they're willing to go to war over this in the courtroom.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    It isn't just Apple. It's the Google Play store as well.

Apple put a way into Mobile Fortnite that allowed them to circumvent both the Apple App Store and the Google Play store, and extract money from its players without any of the cut going to Apple/Google. They didn't like that and pulled the Fortnite listing from both stores.

I've seen articles online that claim the whole thing was a carefully laid trap by Epic, with the intent of bringing antitrust judication against both of them, since in both evironments the only way to get your app out to people is through the two platform's stores. By circumventing the store, Epic angered both of them. And I guess they're willing to go to war over this in the courtroom.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "carefully laid trap". Apple and Google are no strangers to litigation (or negotiation, or just business in general). They had to know their actions in banning Epic would result in lawsuit. It seems like a negotiation more than anything else. I'd be very surprised if this wasn't an eventuality that had been discussed internally at Apple and Google. The "what do we do when a big player stops playing by the rules".

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    And by big players, we're talking China through Tencent.

• Options
    Stubbs CastawayStubbs Castaway Registered User new member
    >Furthermore, no actual authoritarianism is really Orwellian because 1984 is more a reflection of Orwell's cultural and sexual hangups than an accurate reflection of how authoritarians really behave.

This comment brought to you by Big Brother.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    I had thoughts that were similar to this comic in the early days of the pandemic when some people said it was like being in Stephen King's "The Stand."

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

That particular incident was done by NYPD officers.

Furthermore, no actual authoritarianism is really Orwellian because 1984 is more a reflection of Orwell's cultural and sexual hangups than an accurate reflection of how authoritarians really behave.

Authoritarian behaviour is fucking infested with - if not founded on - cultural and sexual hangups though, even if not Orwell's personally specific ones

• Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    I apologize in advance but

The negative white space in the first panel kinda looks like a Demetri Martin-esque head kissin' Tycho

• Options
    HarlequinGnollHarlequinGnoll Registered User new member
    if epic games is willing to make their own phone and have their own app store then i'd be willing to take a look at them and consider using them. also google store accepts almost anyone, not wanting to pay full price doesnt make it orwellian.

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    What a disappointingly tepid comic strip.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    Hm? The first panel is a pretty enjoyable Tycho-trope and the third panel gives an unexpected punchline

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    But you can easily load any app on Android by enabling unknown developers. Doesn't that just completely side step Epic's entire argument? I feel like there is something I am missing but I don't know what it is.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    furlion wrote: »
    But you can easily load any app on Android by enabling unknown developers. Doesn't that just completely side step Epic's entire argument? I feel like there is something I am missing but I don't know what it is.

I think their argument is that google throws up a whole bunch of scary warnings (at least, scary for non-techies), strongly implying that any sideloaded app is probably going to steal all your data and spy on your camera and break your phone and make your chewing gum lose its flavor, so this significantly reduces potential usability of this path. And that they make it intentionally that bad because they don't want it competing with their cash cow.
    gn7jsmf5ta7k.png44dqp0v0j3mg.pnggs1onrtss6rd.png

dennis on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    I think their argument is that google throws up a whole bunch of scary warnings (at least, scary for non-techies), strongly implying that any sideloaded app is probably going to steal all your data and spy on your camera and break your phone and make your chewing gum lose its flavor, so this significantly reduces potential usability of this path. And that they make it intentionally that bad because they don't want it competing with their cash cow.
    Or they make it intentionally bad because of things like this. And then you have the issue where some users are going to inevitably sideload an outright fake Fortnite APK through what is a fundamentally bad process for your average user.

Even as a techie when I install F-Droid I need to go back and disable the ability for my file manager to install unknown apps. And I'm more than a bit relieved for certain family members when they switch to iOS despite loathing Apple as a company.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Lttlefoot wrote: »
    Hm? The first panel is a pretty enjoyable Tycho-trope and the third panel gives an unexpected punchline

Both the strip itself and the commentary accompanying it have almost nothing of substance to say on the subject, is more what I meant. It's a very safe comic.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Or they make it intentionally bad because of things like this. And then you have the issue where some users are going to inevitably sideload an outright fake Fortnite APK through what is a fundamentally bad process for your average user.

Even as a techie when I install F-Droid I need to go back and disable the ability for my file manager to install unknown apps. And I'm more than a bit relieved for certain family members when they switch to iOS despite loathing Apple as a company.

Enh, I might have more sympathy for Google if their own permission-related stuff wasn't such a total shitshow. It took them forever to even get android to the state it's in now regarding permissions, and even so it's nothing to be proud of. They've never really seemed to consider protecting your stuff from apps as a high priority.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Barrakketh wrote: »

Enh, I might have more sympathy for Google if their own permission-related stuff wasn't such a total shitshow. It took them forever to even get android to the state it's in now regarding permissions, and even so it's nothing to be proud of. They've never really seemed to consider protecting your stuff from apps as a high priority.

Google didn't design (and doesn't maintain) Android out of the kindness of their hearts. They want access to every bit of personal data they can glean from your phone so they can use it to make money. Any design decisions that might interfere with that goal are not going to happen unless they are forced kicking and screaming to.

The side loading issue is nothing to joke around with. The majority of people have no real clue how to spot an app from an actual dev versus spyware. Google choosing to make that scary warning is fitting I think. And at least on Android it is possible, on iOS you are shit out of luck.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion