As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do I cut a rug?

DrezDrez Registered User regular
Can I even cut a rug?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Like literally cutting up a rug to meet a space, or learning to dance.

For literally cutting up a rug, you will want a straight edge, tape a razor some thread and a needle. Measure the area you want to cut. If there are frilly bits on the edge you want to keep, then you’ll need to make two cuts. After you take the measure measurements use tape to mark the cuts. Measure again (measure twice) and then line up the straight edge, using a fresh razor blade (brand new), make the cuts you need. Then sew back the end section if you have frilly bits, or with a more plain rug, pull a bit of fabric and sew a new seam on the side..

zepherin on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Utility knives are literally called "carpet knives" in Swedish.

hcfouhvhdu6j.png

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    If it's wall to wall, you'll need to unhook it from the tack strip - nasty nail-studded pieces of wood that keeps the carpet stretched out. Just kinda of lift up and out along the wall to release.

Then just go ham with a utility knife. Keep the pieces small because it's heavy and garbage may only carry out certain size bundles. Same deal with the padding that's probably underneath.

As for dancing, watch this tutorial:
    https://youtu.be/tKBjW2F3GDw

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    What?? No, that's completely inappropriate for this occasion.

You need this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7snTgMGYDc

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Thank you all. The information needed to address my query has been provided by those who have responded within this thread.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If you are talking about carpet and not dancing, grab yourself some of these for your utility knife and make your job a lot easier.
    105-063.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    If you are talking about carpet and not dancing, grab yourself some of these for your utility knife and make your job a lot easier.
    105-063.jpg

Klingon carpentry has never been easier.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Those blades are great, but remember the rule: cut towards your chum, not towards your thumb. I get lazy on that rule with regular straight blades but never again with hooked ones. Because those blades HURT LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER.

Hevach on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    105-063.jpg

Klingon carpentry has never been easier.

Robin tested, Batman approved.

• Options
    So obviously I was ambiguous on purpose. My only issue with dancing is I don't have a partner anymore. I did a lot of bachata with my ex but she's long gone. But that's a story for a different thread. If anyone knows how I can get a new dance partner in these COVID times for rug cutting, please let me know. That reminds me, can anyone here teach me robotics?

I was mostly interested in snipping a foot or so from my area rugs. But...is it uncouth to overlap area rugs? Not layering so much as having two 6 inch width rugs overlap by about a foot to cover a 11' side of a room?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    So obviously I was ambiguous on purpose. My only issue with dancing is I don't have a partner anymore. I did a lot of bachata with my ex but she's long gone. But that's a story for a different thread. If anyone knows how I can get a new dance partner in these COVID times for rug cutting, please let me know. That reminds me, can anyone here teach me robotics?

I was mostly interested in snipping a foot or so from my area rugs. But...is it uncouth to overlap area rugs? Not layering so much as having two 6 inch width rugs overlap by about a foot to cover a 11' side of a room?

It may be a bit uncomfortable to overlap rugs, depending on thickness of said rug. It's a potential tripping hazard, and if it's in a high traffic area it'll catch more people than you think (you know, once we're allowed to have people over). It might just be me though, I tend not to lift my feet very high when walking, so I'll stumble over stupid things like that or uneven concrete fairly often.

I did find a walkthrough on Google that might help.
    https://www.hunker.com/13413502/how-to-make-a-throw-rug-lie-flat-on-carpeting

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Yeah, if the overlapping rugs produce uneven floors expect to trip at some point

Even if you know it's there, the sheer number of times you walk on it without thinking will eventually get you. Then it becomes a test of patience with having it like that versus the frequency it causes stumbles that annoy you

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG