As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STO] Old thread is old

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    The legendary Crossfield has a trait that changes the visual of gravity well. Does it have a lot of red around the black hole in the middle? If so then it's that.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    The legendary Crossfield has a trait that changes the visual of gravity well. Does it have a lot of red around the black hole in the middle? If so then it's that.

No, its almost completely horizontal. Where the Gravity well is vertical.

Its got a more clear (?) black and blue look to it. And the shape is kind of like a galaxy.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Sounds like Singularity Jump. It's a Warbird power connected to their special warp cores.

First result in google image search:
    k1dp2an02hqx.png

Hevach on
    edited July 2020
    Nope, not that. Also, I've used that before on my Romulan character.

Plus they used it immediately on the first set of adds in a TFO

I need to get a screenshot next time I see it.

ObiFett on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    800px-Tricobalt_Torpedo_Explosion_2.jpg?version=841911b7f8fd9cb81cf9fb786b4c5e4d

Tricobalt torpedo rift?

Players don't tend to use them but NPC ships do on occasion (most notably the Enterprise)

Might also be Subspace Vortex

800px-XindiSubspaceVortex.jpg?version=1c60726ee331417af38f3a47314de698

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/2137260/boards/contest-and-giveaways-global/Giveaway/star-trek-online-otherworldly-game-pack-key-giveaway

Free Elite Services Starter Pack and Klingon Bridge Officer. Can only be redeemed by KDF/Alliance characters.

And it was neither of those abilities, also. Gonna have to resort to grabbing a screenshot next time I see it

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Hey, is anybody here part of a fleet with a Tier 5 shipyard? I'm trying to get my hands on a Fleet Imperial.

So I can kitbash an Inquiry-class.

Because Space Barbie hungers.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I'm squatting on like 2400 lobi right now and an Epic Phoenix Prize token. What T6 beauties should I be looking at taking for a joyride?

I enjoy playing around with non-conventional armament and skills, so I'd prefer looking at something off the beaten path that a Science or Tac based admiral can fuck around with but still be viable in Red Alerts.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • tricontricon Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I'm squatting on like 2400 lobi right now and an Epic Phoenix Prize token. What T6 beauties should I be looking at taking for a joyride?

I enjoy playing around with non-conventional armament and skills, so I'd prefer looking at something off the beaten path that a Science or Tac based admiral can fuck around with but still be viable in Red Alerts.

From a meta pov you have 2 options.Breen Plesh Tral Heavy Raider for the Starship trait Cold-Hearted if you run a Auxillary to Battery (atb with 3 techs) build-

Another option would be the Denorios Bajoran Interceptor for https://sto.gamepedia.com/Voice_of_the_Prophets a very good Experimental Weapon and then of course for D.O.M.I.N.O even if you don't run phasers the other bonuses are way to good.

Off the beaten path, then I would suggest pick one of your style. Every ship is viable, these days it's more about traits/skills then equipment and last on the T5/T6 ships. A better layout or the last special item helps if you go through the dmg roof but from a playable standpoint even mkxii gear can get you to 100k dps. Pre T6 expansion the power of ships did have a much bigger impact like adding the first 5/2 or 5/3 ships with hanger.

tricon on
    edited July 2020
    BTW the giveaway from https://games.steelseries.com/giveaway/15/details has still keys if you play Federation on PC.

Forged in Fire Title
    Federation Cyborg Miracle Worker Bridge Officer (Unlocks for the account. Additional copies can be found in the Bridge Officers Tab in the Personnel Tab of the Zen Store)
    36 Inventory Slots (Granted only upon initial claim of the product)
    36 Bank Slots
    2 Bridge Officer Slots
    3 Retrain Tokens

The giveaway from alienware arena for KDF chars was way faster out of keys. No idea if the got more keys from Cryptic or if the underestimate Klingon players.

tricon on
  • MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Thanks!

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    tricon wrote: »

From a meta pov you have 2 options.Breen Plesh Tral Heavy Raider for the Starship trait Cold-Hearted if you run a Auxillary to Battery (atb with 3 techs) build-

Another option would be the Denorios Bajoran Interceptor for https://sto.gamepedia.com/Voice_of_the_Prophets a very good Experimental Weapon and then of course for D.O.M.I.N.O even if you don't run phasers the other bonuses are way to good.

Off the beaten path, then I would suggest pick one of your style. Every ship is viable, these days it's more about traits/skills then equipment and last on the T5/T6 ships. A better layout or the last special item helps if you go through the dmg roof but from a playable standpoint even mkxii gear can get you to 100k dps. Pre T6 expansion the power of ships did have a much bigger impact like adding the first 5/2 or 5/3 ships with hanger.

Thanks for this, I went with the Interceptor and DOMINO and am now an agile whirlwind of exotic particle death.

I'm able to fire off Domino and solo an entire dreadnought fleet in Battlezones like it ain't no thing. Running the daily Red Alerts for the current event has become a cakewalk.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
    zk727j6o3lyk.png

Risa event starts tomorrow. Prize is a bulky science/pilot vessel continuing the Risian yacht aesthetic and some weird weather themed powers.

The add later today a free Lower Decks duty pack, all with unique powers:

Ensign Brad Boimler

Space - Improvised Waste Disposal: Chance for basic torpedoes to leave behind a toxic hazard on hit. This is Klingon-prison stuff.

Ensign Backett Mariner

Space – Blast Shield: Chance on use of Security Team to apply secondary shields. And then remove them. Then apply them. Then remove them. Then apply them.

Ensign Tendi

Ground - Way Past Triage: Chance for Heals to pump up the target with a recharge reduction to Kit Abilities.

Ensign Rutherford

Ground - Might Get Fired For This: Your support drones have a chance to explode immediately after being created, dealing heavy kinetic damage and knockback to nearby enemies. If this happens, recharge time on that power is also reset.

Seems a bit crazy but fits the TV trailer for the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3RkBKedKWw

Works for me, STO is already pretty wacky.

Sucks for KDF as per usual.

Yeah, lots of crazy stuff in the game already. Honestly the only one that doesn't sound like something we'd get is Ensign Mariner's. The timing would be impossible but that could be good for taking an alpha strike since each shield will probably get stripped before it drops.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I wonder if "basic torpedo" means literally vanilla photons etc or if it means "not spread or high yield" I'm also curious about the numbers on the summer ship's trait because it looks like a good substitute for Spore Infused Anomalies at the moment.

7qmGNt5.png
    That wording usually means not spread, high yield, or targetable (i.e. tricobalt).

Anyone got the new ship yet?

I'm pretty much hate all the activities, outside of jetpacking, on Risa and was wondering if its at all worth it.

The idea of a Mardi Gras float that can spwan lightning/plasma storms is intriguing.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited August 2020
    If you can take jetpacking for 5 minutes a day for how long it takes, I'd say it's always worth getting the event ship. It's free admiralty and you never know when you might have a build that would be great if you could just get your hands on that one trait from 3 years ago.

I tried out the new torpedo doff on my torpedo boat and yeah it's pretty good tbh, ~8-900 damage a tick for free which I will happily use.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    Very well, time to prime my floater and have some umbrella drinks in the 25th century.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Finally ran across someone using the ability again. The entire screen goes white before it goes off and then it leaves behind the blue ability in the screenshot below. Anyone know what this is?

ia92pej7fdrr.jpg

Ah! I think I found out what that was last week some time, but I'm not sure, it might be this https://sto.gamepedia.com/Console_-_Universal_-_Temporal_Anomaly_Projector

this pic from the wiki page is huge but looks pretty similar to what you've got there

https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/sto_gamepedia/4/4b/Temporal_Anomaly_Projector_side.jpg

7qmGNt5.png
    Ah! I think I found out what that was last week some time, but I'm not sure, it might be this https://sto.gamepedia.com/Console_-_Universal_-_Temporal_Anomaly_Projector

this pic from the wiki page is huge but looks pretty similar to what you've got there

https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/sto_gamepedia/4/4b/Temporal_Anomaly_Projector_side.jpg

That's totally it! Thanks!

Risa is gonna give me my first T6 ship and luckily it's a science one, which is what I've built around, so I'm pretty excited.

So excited I've spent probably more time doing the summer event than I should've. I got the maxed out floater and board, some good swimwear, the new kit and the better kit modules (Graviton Spike, Lava, Ball Lightning), 5 fully grown birds, and half the Doffs (which required doing the accolade). At this point, I'm probably gonna get another 2kish favor so I can get the rest of the Doffs and call it good. I'd likely have burned out much sooner if this wasn't my first event.

Only downside is that my Rep progress has taken a hit. I've missed a couple days due to being short on marks for a few rep groups. I'm almost rank 5 with all of them! Thanks for the advice on that @Hevach

edited August 2020
    I wish they would do a Klingon recruitment event. I want to make a TOS gorn captain (and crew) with all sorts of wacky kit modules flying around in the weather control ship.

...now that I type it out, I don't think I can resist doing it anyway.

edit: good lord, 1k favors each and I only have 600.

Strikor on
    edited August 2020
    I wish they would do a Klingon recruitment event. I want to make a TOS gorn captain (and crew) with all sorts of wacky kit modules flying around in the weather control ship.

Check the AH, you can buy e.g. Graviton Spike with EC. I am not a space wizard fan ;) so my plan is to skip the entire event but as it is I am more
    excited for the release of the new T6 carriers this week. Special this Ra’nodaire:

tricon on

Check the AH, you can buy e.g. Graviton Spike with EC

You can get the manuals for EC from the exchange, but the kit modules are BOP so you wont see those

ObiFett wrote: »

Check the AH, you can buy e.g. Graviton Spike with EC

You can get the manuals for EC from the exchange, but the kit modules are BOP so you wont see those

In case of the items that are bind on pickup, buy the Lohlunat Favor direct from the AH with EC, go to the event page, click
    event store and buy it...

Yeah I might just end up buying the favors (a few of my other characters could use the kit). Roughly 15 million each is a bit steep, but less sanity destroying than running Flying High on like 10 characters per day.

edited August 2020
    Yeah I might just end up buying the favors (a few of my other characters could use the kit). Roughly 15 million each is a bit steep, but less sanity destroying than running Flying High on like 10 characters per day.

I got 3k favors today and was even running random TFOs throughout. I didnt even play all that much

The key is to do Flying High between the events and be able to win the races. Flying High can be run 4x an hour netting 200 favor an hour. The races award 75 for a win and those happen 2 times each (or more?) an hour. Now we're up to 500 an hour. If you tack on Horgah Hunt/Scavenger/Dance, those are another 100 or so each and two of those will happen each hour, which means you can get ~700 in an hour. Its really not too bad.

I bought the last of the doffs today so at this point I guess I'll just hoard favor and put it up on the exchange either towards the end of the event when people are probably desperate for favor or sometime early next year when there should be less people listing it.

ObiFett on
    I somehow didn't realize flying high only has a 10 minute cooldown. That definitely makes things much easier.

Change in the AH sort by descending price, then look through the first few pages. You should find some listings for 999 for less then 10.000.000 . The problem with the AH is it caps at 400 items, so yo u miss quite some itmes.

edited August 2020
    New carriers, for all factions.

Feds: Catian Aspero-class
    kahr5fjfk2bn.png

Does away with the Atrox's "inboard" nacelles, which I thought was the coolest part of the design.

Klingon Vo'devwl-class
    te0rg9qs4lmv.png
    Recognizable addition to the Vo'quv line.

Romulan Ra'nodaire-class
    dp0e23kof5i3.png
    Sleeker and bulkier than the Scimitar, reminds of the Romulan future ships.

Jem-hadar Vanguard support carrier.
    8490ca2wuszr.png
    Looks vaguely Lukari to me.

I say Mol'rihan wins this bundle, with Federation in a close second. Jem'Hadar take last place for plagiarism but the Lukari get an honorary tie with the Klingons.

All are 3/3 science ships with 2 hangars (a first for Romulans and Dominion, and a first for KDF in tier 6). Special power is a PBAOE disorient that ranks up any of your pets they hit, trait heals all your pets when you try to launch more.

New frigate pets for each as well, but also an interesting new "squadron fighter" pet. Instead of each hangar launching 6 fighters in 2 wings of 3... It launches 6 wings of 6, for 36 units of target spam per hangar (I can't tell for sure if each launch is 6 separate units or if this is like the Hurq "swarm" unit where one target is a cleverly animated squadron of several small ships.

Hevach on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I actually really like all of those designs.

edited August 2020
    The best part is the inclusion of Romulan and Dominion versions. Opening tier 6 ships to aligned factions made a lot of people (including me) assume that we wouldn't be seeing Warbirds anymore.

Hevach on
    That Aspero class will be mine.

It looks like the Batmobile fucked a Kilrathi cap ship and I'm all about that.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    That Aspero class will be mine.

It looks like the Batmobile fucked a Kilrathi cap ship and I'm all about that.

It does look like a nice upgrade to the original Catian carrier.

edited August 2020
    Anyone on PC snag the Aspero yet? It won't be hitting consoles (I main on Xbone) for a couple of weeks, or maybe not till the launch of the new Klingon arc on September 8th.

Was wanting some opinions before I prioritize earning and liquidating dilithium out the ass to secure 2400 zen.

Oh, and the Risa Weather ship is really fun. Hope your machines can handle shit loads of particle effects, cause the plasma starts flying all over the place, like if Dazzler from the X-men got wasted and started a rave the size of several city blocks. Handles quite nice too.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
This discussion has been closed.