As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Damn, that's a lot of new chokes opening up across the map. And those new Fortification bases, too? Yeah, this map is getting less and less snipe-centric and that is very cool!

After having played a tonne of Overwatch, with Bastion the literal turret character, I can fairly say that at a lower ELO ranks a turret is very scary, and almost completely useless without dedicated shielding at higher ELO. It appears they receive frontal shielding though, so it might be a bit more powerful than initially letting on.

Don't think I'll get the battle pass. I didn't max out the Season 5 one, only go into the mid 70s, and I didn't really get anything out of it. Like, a few skins? The best skin was the Lifeline one I paid 25$ for.

Probably go back to buying a skin or maybe two a year to support Apex.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm thinking that same thing, I might just buy the new character and hold off on the battle pass at first. I buy the thing to support the game but maybe I'd be better off just buying a cool skin or some packs once in a while, I never play as much as I think I'm going to.

I like the look of Rampart a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANdAEztmFiA

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I was pretty proud to max out the pass at 110 for my first go around (and starting a bit late into the season at that, maybe a week behind or so?), hit Gold IV with a bit of effort, and got a win on every Legend I unlocked (a new relationship kept me very busy the last month or two, so I wasn't able to commit the time to grinding out the last two Legends (Crypto and Revenant), which I could have bought for real money, but I splurged on a pile of packs during the big sale, so they got enough out of me imo).

I'm excited to see what the new pass has. The friends I play with have all been into the game pretty hardcore (levels range from 250 to 450, maybe a 500 in the mix?), so just getting up over 100 and snagging the unlocks I did was nice.

With the game meta (in my amateur low Rank experience) being so focused on speed and mobility, it'll be interesting to see if the map changes slow that down again a bit, especially with a new Legend who's clearly got an emphasis on holding a location. Obviously ACBE emphasized always being on the move, so returning to a more methodical and potentially 'sit and hold a location, even for a few minutes ring to ring' style will be interesting to adapt to once more.

I do feel like the end of the season was chock full of the hardcore folks. Like, a friend and I would drop into Trios and our third would be some account level 500 person, back to back even, when previously it'd be a pile of folks more in the 200 and under range. Entirely anecdotal, but I'm hoping a new season kicking off draws back in a pile of players.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I grind out the 110 levels then basically stop playing the rest of the season unless there's an event.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Any word on crossplay maybe coming eventually?

• MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    Any word on crossplay maybe coming eventually?

Crossplay was announced at EA Play for this fall, no specific date yet.

The Steam weapon charms are pretty great. Last I heard, our accounts won't carry over between platforms (which I think is bullshit, frankly, it's a database, it can't be that hard to connect, Fortnite did it just fine), but those Portal/Half Life charms are delightful, and I'm not even all that hot on the charms in general.

But those? I'd like to attach them to weapons on my PS4 account.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    The Steam weapon charms are pretty great. Last I heard, our accounts won't carry over between platforms (which I think is bullshit, frankly, it's a database, it can't be that hard to connect, Fortnite did it just fine), but those Portal/Half Life charms are delightful, and I'm not even all that hot on the charms in general.

But those? I'd like to attach them to weapons on my PS4 account.

It's entirely doable, but probably not worth the effort (Money-wise) going through the inevitable issues between accounts and having to devote resources to customer support for dealing with them.

What I'd reaaaally like to see is an increased tick-rate for the servers, I only just learned yesterday that it's 20hz, which is insanely low for such a quick shooter.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Patch notes are up for Season 6: https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/news/season-6-patch-notes

Among the more significant changes, all armor is now Evo armor, except gold, and if you deal enough damage while unarmored you will upgrade to a white tier armor. Also, all the "recon" heroes can now check the scanners to see the next ring location, not just pathfinder.

edited August 2020
    Loving those armor changes

Wait does that mean Pathfinder is getting a new passive?

Local H Jay on
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Numbers: Zipline Gun cooldown reduced by 10s each time Pathfinder scans a beacon. Up to 6 rings per game means the total cooldown of Zipline Gun can go from 120s to 60s.
    Oh.

Wait, did they actually take the R99 out of the normal supply, and swapped it with the Devotion? That's pretty big if I read it right.

edited August 2020
    cB557 wrote: »
    Numbers: Zipline Gun cooldown reduced by 10s each time Pathfinder scans a beacon. Up to 6 rings per game means the total cooldown of Zipline Gun can go from 120s to 60s.
    Oh.

That's not a bad idea in the meantime, but I do predict this will mean endgame loops with tons and tons of zips everywhere lol

I think a better passive would be something to do with his swinging (but I'm biased because it's my favorite part of his kit). Maybe something like, the longer hangtime you have in the air after a swing, means the shorter the cooldown for the next swing. But I know the character dominates seemingly even post-nerf according to their data.

Local H Jay on
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Wait, did they actually take the R99 out of the normal supply, and swapped it with the Devotion? That's pretty big if I read it right.

It... it seems they did.

O.O

The R99 is basically my go-to sidearm (often with a Flatline or Spitfire as my primary weapon, because I suck with the sniper and like to have a nice heavy spray n pray kit). The 301 is solid too, but I'll miss having that thing on hand as I'd upgrade my Light weapon of choice while running around the map.

RR9 was just too chewy. I always thought a good nerf would be to take off the Stabilizer slot. It's good enough without it

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Oh.

That's not a bad idea in the meantime, but I do predict this will mean endgame loops with tons and tons of zips everywhere lol

I think a better passive would be something to do with his swinging (but I'm biased because it's my favorite part of his kit). Maybe something like, the longer hangtime you have in the air after a swing, means the shorter the cooldown for the next swing. But I know the character dominates seemingly even post-nerf according to their data.

The devs actually posted the chart of encounter win rates for bronze/silver over on reddit. Everyone but Path and Wraith are 51-44%, path is 56% and Wraith is like 58%.

So even at the low tiers those dominate (also probably because smurfs)

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I still don't understand what the purpose of Smurfing is in this game, but I do feel like I encounter Path-Smurfs a lot, or else it's just very common for Level 10 Paths to have the 4K dmg/25 Kill Game badges.

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I was hoping for some changes/buffs to Loba's Tactical. The Ultimate buff may help, but it's also still a big ol' murder beacon to nearby third parties, and the Tactical often still just doesn't work. I still think her Black Market should let you loot a deathbox tag for a team-mate, but I more worry about how the Tactical sometimes can take several seconds of animation before telling you nope sorry during a firefight, resulting in your death.

Hemlock
    • Reduced vertical recoil in burst mod
    • Slightly reducing recoil in pattern on 2nd and 3rd shot so first burst kicks less
    • Burst mode time between bursts .32 -> .28
    I'm all about this, of course.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Hemlock
    • Reduced vertical recoil in burst mod
    • Slightly reducing recoil in pattern on 2nd and 3rd shot so first burst kicks less
    • Burst mode time between bursts .32 -> .28
    I'm all about this, of course.

whoa i kind of glossed over that. I've mostly taken to using it as single fire because it was a murderer but that is quite chewy and I've generally loved burst weapons in other games

Yeah, as someone who mains the Hemlock but often forgets to swap out of burst fire, I am all about that buff.

Y'know I did some frame counting, and I'm pretty sure the hemlock didn't kill faster in single fire last patch.

edited August 2020
    Full dev stream confirms that the new season launches tonight at 10pm Pacific, woooo, also they put up a blog post about crafting that I threw in the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gdvsMSZr5o

Peen on
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Y'know I did some frame counting, and I'm pretty sure the hemlock didn't kill faster in single fire last patch.

it never did but unless you were practiced with it the burst was a lot less controllable imo, so single fire was a lot more consistent at midrange

the buffs to burst might make it so that you only switch to single for long range shooting but we'll see

Orphane on
    so rampart's minigun stabilizes inward and has no real bullet spread outward

https://youtu.be/nY792k_SN9I

Bloodhound's buff is very good. His ult now goes and goes and goes and goes. And his AoE Ping goes on a 6 second cooldown.

They made Crytpo feel like something I'd spend coins on now. I appreciate the developer's candor with the changes to everyone but, 'HEY IF THE DRONE IS HIS MAIN THING LET'S GET THIS DRONE JACKED' is cool.

A combination of Rampart and Caustic and Bloodhound is going to make the end of matches super fun*

*actually not fun at all unless I'm describing your team in which case good on ya!

The real question is whether active Caustic Farts get Amped by Rampart's walls.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Been out of town for the update, super pumped for the 99 being gone! And hopefully the new guns don't just replace it as the new everything gun.
    I'm excited to get home and check out the new pass this week!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I feel like you can't really rely on Light guns to fill out your short-range gun slot anymore since the R99 is care-packaged. R301 doesn't really have the ability to win fights at close-range either unless you find a good mag.

The Volt is amaaaazing though, really easy to mange its recoil.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    New legend seems fine

The Volt is a a slightly toned down R-99 which is good
    The Hemlock burst changes make it pretty damn ridiculous for close-mid as expected
    My sniper buddy was really pleased with the changes to Triple Take after trying it

Replicator system is interesting and gives more sedate players room to breathe i guess while letting people fill in gaps on gear and letting Respawn tinker with weapon rotations etc.
    Part of me hopes that this means Respawn can be more hands on with weapon and hop up rotations instead of only doing those at the start of a season

P.s. remove wingman for a season pls

Rampart is incredible fun. Paired with a Caustic and Wattson, and the camp-trio is complete.

I fucking dare you to enter our house. Ass gas, lightning rods, and turrets everywhere.

My group had some fun (but stupid) wins running Crypto, Wattson, Rampart last night — compulsively rotating between Recon beacons and just getting primo late-circle position at which we set up Turret encampments to harass approachers while Crypto flew around highlighting and slowing folks. The hilarity of a full squad wielding Sheilas atop a house in Overlook, shredding the landscape as far as the eye can see.

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    @Peen and I snagged two wins last night to start the season off right. He rocked Rampart, which helped lock down a few locations and Sheila to enable some nice flanking, and I had Bloodhound (weekly challenges!) which worked out well with murdersight and tracking. We had one good run end early due to us misinterpreting how to escape the ring, but the two wins went fairly smooth. Our last game was us roaming and murdering and eventually had us collapse on the city where we snagged some kills but our Pathfinder got knocked as the circle closed and we had to abandon him.

We had us in a 2v3 in smallish circle area pinned down by a Lifeline/Rampart/someone combo, with our Sheila/walls trading fire with theirs, but I got some lucky grenades + Kraber headshot to down the Lifeline, which bought us time to reposition and then eventually engage in a 2v2 while the revived Lifeline healed herself. We wound up barely winning that engagement and I healed up Peen and we pincered the last dude, sealing victory. Rare for us to go off so much in a single match, with our team clearing out over a third of the lobby.

dtamv39twr3q.jpg

Nice start to the season!

That game was pretty ridiculous, we rarely pop off like that. I'm enjoying Rampart, she's more of a late game character than early, but it's cool when you're getting chased by an enemy team and you have just enough time to set up a wall and Sheila and light them up as they run around a corner. I'm also very happy to have the turbocharger back in my life, the Devotion being back is just the cherry on top.

I also think it's funny that they're using the "Alternator with disruptor rounds" noise for the Volt, I can't be the only one getting some pretty serious flashbacks.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Really liking the changes to Bloodhound. The CD reduction to his scan ability while he's ulting is fucking amazing.

I'm hoping they can figure out something fun for Pathy with regards to his passive. I don't play him for his ult, so a CD reduction on that is lame in so many ways.

I need to stop playing this in afternoon EST. It feels like the average player on at that time is way better than the ones on in the evening.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I need to stop playing this in afternoon EST. It feels like the average player on at that time is way better than the ones on in the evening.

My two ranked matches in Bronze IV at 3am est, I was killed by 2 different 5000 kills, 60+ Season 6 wins wraiths.

The matchmaking is going to be fucked for a week or two, ranked or not

I got an R99 from the care package pretty early in the game, but one of my randos decided to go face a whole team on his own, and double stupid me, tried to go rescue him and got killed before firing a single shot.