As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

E3 is dead. Gamescom August 27th!

19495969798100»

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Sony should've got Jeff Minter to make a PS5 game

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I supposed Jett: The Far Shore could be something. Haven't seen gameplay though.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I haven't really been following this stuff and don't know what the PS5 can and cant do

If I'm thinking about getting a 4k tv but right now have a launch PS4

Would the PS5 let me take advantage of the TV with PS4 games even tho theres fuck all for the ps5?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I haven't really been following this stuff and don't know what the PS5 can and cant do

Would the PS5 let me take advantage of the TV with PS4 games even tho theres fuck all for the ps5?

Sony hasn't given a lot of detail about their backwards compatibility.

The PS5 will play "nearly all the top 100 ps4 games"

They're trying to boost mode stuff, better frame rates and all. So I think if a game currently has a 4k mode, the ps5 should run it at least as well, probably better. But they haven't said a lot of specifics about it.

As of now, I wouldn't buy a PS5 to play my existing PS4 games in 'better' 4k than they currently have. Because we don't really know to what degree they'll be better.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I believe so yes, most of the “bigger” games have announced “enhancements” with the new consoles

Joolander on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

This tweet becomes more manic the more you read the linked article

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

PS5 will have an actual 4k disc player in it, unlike the pro, so there's that.

After the Cerny thing Sony did put out a statement saying that they expect the "overwhelming majority" of PS4 games to play on ps5, but they'd only tested the top 100 or so to know for sure at that point
    In his presentation, Mark Cerny provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles, demonstrating how well our backward compatibility efforts are going. We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch. We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned!

I'd expect base games to essentially play like they would on a pro, maybe a smidge better but it's not going to be a huge upgrade unless they get specifically patched.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Thanks yall, sounds like a PS5 is the better call than a pro

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    My biggest hope for the PS5 is just that since it's apparently so big for cooling reasons that it won't sound like I'm starting up a jet engine every time I play a game

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Girls love gaming just as much as men. According to a report by Entertainment Software Association, of the total 214.4 million players in the U.S., 41% are female. 77% of women ages 35 to 54 say playing games helps them to relax and 78% are using their downtime to hop into alternate worlds on their smartphones or devices. Playing online games can be an amazing distraction from a long day on the job, a much needed break from intense news headlines, or a way to engage with friends and loved ones, with a side of friendly competition. And yes, playing games is totally an acceptable form of self-care! While online games have no gender attached to them and many women enjoy everything from a puzzle quest to a sports match or fight-oriented game, there are some games that female players tend to gravitate toward.

We surveyed game developers, pro gamers and everyday players to bring you this list of 25 free online games for women:

I... was hoping this would be a list of games made by women who made them specifically for other women

instead it's just.... spelunky? tetris? solitare?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    It's definitely why I'm strongly considering trading my Pro in for one, I'm about 90% certain now, just need a figure to look at

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Girls love gaming just as much as men. According to a report by Entertainment Software Association, of the total 214.4 million players in the U.S., 41% are female. 77% of women ages 35 to 54 say playing games helps them to relax and 78% are using their downtime to hop into alternate worlds on their smartphones or devices. Playing online games can be an amazing distraction from a long day on the job, a much needed break from intense news headlines, or a way to engage with friends and loved ones, with a side of friendly competition. And yes, playing games is totally an acceptable form of self-care! While online games have no gender attached to them and many women enjoy everything from a puzzle quest to a sports match or fight-oriented game, there are some games that female players tend to gravitate toward.

We surveyed game developers, pro gamers and everyday players to bring you this list of 25 free online games for women:

I... was hoping this would be a list of games made by women who made them specifically for other women

You should look at the linked article about games good for social distancing

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Thanks yall, sounds like a PS5 is the better call than a pro

Unless it's horribly expensive (we still don't know the price), it'll definitely be the better buy. Might as well future proof your purchase a bit.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    h

You should look at the linked article about games good for social distancing

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

I've got a launch model PS4, and I recently upgraded to an LG OLED 4K TV. While it's not cranking out the games in 4K, finally seeing HDR in motion is pretty fucking great. That first go with Resogun in HDR was really sweet looking.

So that's at least one thing you'll be able to take advantage of with your new TV before the PS5 releases. All you'd need is for the TV to have an HDMI 2.0 input (and if it's a fairly recent model it absolutely should have that).

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I think I'm gonna go with an Xbox first and play old games on it. I mean, like, 360 era and before. I'm going to buy an Xbox in 2021 so I can play Burnout and Crismon Skies.

I'll probably get a PS5 when the Slim version or whatever drops in 2023/24.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I basically always get one console at launch each go-around and they are really working overtime to give me absolutely no reason to get either

I don't have a 4K TV and I already have an Xbox One X, so when the only launch game I'm looking to get is like, Yakuza 7, think I'll be pretty alright skipping the systems for a good long while

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    where the hell is my tokyo jungle 2

i don't give a shit what platform it's on give me my cannibal chihuahuas

sadly as awesome as the concept was, the original game didn't really sell as well as they expected (which isn't too surprising, considering it was a platform-exclusive indie game that was digital-only outside of Japan at a point where that was a bit of a death sentence) so the odds of another game ever having that title are pretty much zero

you'll just have to hope that some other dev out there loved the concept enough to make a proper spiritual successor

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

i hope that this doesn't just mean a longer crunch period for the devs

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »

i hope that this doesn't just mean a longer crunch period for the devs

It likely does, based on industry trends

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    love that we've gotten to 100 pages and it feels like there are still leftover E3 events to happen

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    love that we've gotten to 100 pages and it feels like there are still leftover E3 events to happen

At this point just make it a Gamescom thread.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Someone mentioned that this launch is better than the last because it doesn't have a Killzone, and honestly... I never played those games past 1 but I've been feelin' like maybe I wanna?

I genuinely wish there were a way to get 'em for PS4. Especially the first one, that's such a bizarrely specific piece of nostalgia for me, plus it has one of the top three shotguns in video games

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    e3 is dead now

This discussion has been closed.