As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Homeowner/House] Thread. How long is it going to take? Two weeks!

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Bottom ones look vaguely like iris but it's tough to tell for sure. Did they flower? Is there an exposed rhizome at the base of the plant?

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Is this particularly rhizomey? It just looks like roots to me, but I am not a professional plantologist.
    ev1zh7ydcpgn.jpeg

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    CO sits on the floor. By the time your ceiling mounted CO detector gets a whiff of it, the room is nearly full of CO.

I've never heard this and the EPA says otherwise.

Well that's the exact opposite of what I've always been told about why you should buy those CO detectors that plug into a wall outlet. Now I feel less bad about not actually owning any.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Is this particularly rhizomey? It just looks like roots to me, but I am not a professional plantologist.
    ev1zh7ydcpgn.jpeg

Yes. Rhizomes just a fancy word for roots that produces more plants, but yes those look like irises to me. You'll figure it out next year when they flower.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    CO sits on the floor. By the time your ceiling mounted CO detector gets a whiff of it, the room is nearly full of CO.

Well that's the exact opposite of what I've always been told about why you should buy those CO detectors that plug into a wall outlet. Now I feel less bad about not actually owning any.

(Because hopefully you have a combo one instead right)

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I'd always heard the biggest issue with combo units is the differing wear rates of the detectors making you replace it on the shorter CO2 service life while the smoke probably has a few years left in it.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    ev1zh7ydcpgn.jpeg

Nope. Not an Iris. A rhizome looks like a clump of ginger kinda. Those are definitely just run of the mill roots so I don't know what it is.
    The top one just looks like a fern.

Note: I'm not an expert. I just bought a house last year with a huge hobby garden in the back so I've had to learn a bunch.

edit: Iris rhizomes look like this: https://gardenerspath.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/How-to-Divide-Irises.jpg

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

You want it on the floor on the 2nd story or higher since it's rising.

You want it on the ceiling in ranch style or single story apartments/buildings.

Mostly because any CO producing appliances (natural gas/propane/fireplaces/hot water tanks) are probably on the same level as you.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    It does blend with air though, it's not "lighter", it's less dense, but when we're talking gases almost none of that matters. EPA is wrongish.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    It does blend with air though, it's not "lighter", it's less dense, but when we're talking gases almost none of that matters. EPA is wrongish.

You want one on every level and at least near every sleeping area. Concentrations can be surprisingly high in somewhat random spots due to variations in placement of appliances and building construction.

I'm not an expert by any means but I've been to hundreds of CO calls and have seen all sorts of shit that was quirky/unpredictable to say the least.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    ev1zh7ydcpgn.jpeg

Nope. Not an Iris. A rhizome looks like a clump of ginger kinda. Those are definitely just run of the mill roots so I don't know what it is.
    The top one just looks like a fern.

Note: I'm not an expert. I just bought a house last year with a huge hobby garden in the back so I've had to learn a bunch.

edit: Iris rhizomes look like this: https://gardenerspath.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/How-to-Divide-Irises.jpg

The first one turned out to be Mexican Heather.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

You want one on every level and at least near every sleeping area. Concentrations can be surprisingly high in somewhat random spots due to variations in placement of appliances and building construction.

I'm not an expert by any means but I've been to hundreds of CO calls and have seen all sorts of shit that was quirky/unpredictable to say the least.

Yeah, like the perfect height for the detector is about mid/upper chest, but that's tacky as shit in most houses and is never going to fly.

You want them on every level of your house including the basement, of course, and ever bedroom. But on the second and third floors the floor level is sufficient IME.

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Anyone have any experience with airless paint sprayers? My dad gave me his Ryobi Paint Station and I have some questions about paint and the gun.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with airless paint sprayers? My dad gave me his Ryobi Paint Station and I have some questions about paint and the gun.

I don't but yes you are absolutely correct in seeking advice before trying to use one.

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    so, the dishwasher that came with the house we bought 4 years ago crapped out last night (said dishwasher is roughly 9 years old, seems like its the control panel, and multiple people have said due to the age, its probably not worth repairing), so guess who gets to go food shopping after work?
    I'm so happy to be washing dishes by hand, in a house of 4 people who are now eating 3 meals a day at home...

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    OK so the doorbell on this house was fucked-ish (owner installed a fancy electronic chime unit but never wired the bell itself properly) in that you had to hold it down to make it ring. Did a bit of goolin' and found I just had to throw a cheap diode in the bell's wiring. Did it this morning, no muss no fuss, FWW has a working doorbell now!

ALSO I just replaced the rollers and rail cover on a heavy as a mf glass patio door without breaking the door, injuring myself or the dogs, or going apeshit in frustration.

Super cool since I was quoted like 280$ for the fix and got done for about fiddy bucks and some time and sweat. Feeling good about things for the moment.

Oh!!! And the doves eggs in the tree in my backyard have hatched and holy fucking hell these fuzzy little dove babies are an entire world of cute unto themselves. I can't wait to watch them grow up.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Well, 3 offers in, we finally got one we could accept. Inspection is happening literally right now, I might relax once that's done.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    cncaudata wrote: »
    Well, 3 offers in, we finally got one we could accept. Inspection is happening literally right now, I might relax once that's done.

Best of luck, but there is no relaxing until you can see the money in your account. =)

• Options
    JengoJengo Registered User regular

Best of luck, but there is no relaxing until you can see the money in your account. =)

Yep, selling my co-op right now and it's not done until you get the money. At least you can enjoy the fact that you don't have to deal with a managment company or co-op board who also have to approve the transaction.

3DS FC: 1977-1274-3558 Pokemon X ingame name: S3xy Vexy
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    So, I woke up this morning and smelled something weird in the bedroom (2nd floor). After doing yard work we came in and the living room smelled like skunk. Basement as well. Upstairs seemed to be dissipating. Right now, the basement seems to be the strongest smell (I don't smell it anywhere else really anymore). We called our water company and they were basically like it isn't sewer gas you dumbass, goodbye. Google says natural gas (we use oil) or sewer gas. Not entirely sure who to contact. Any guesses or experience with this?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    So, I woke up this morning and smelled something weird in the bedroom (2nd floor). After doing yard work we came in and the living room smelled like skunk. Basement as well. Upstairs seemed to be dissipating. Right now, the basement seems to be the strongest smell (I don't smell it anywhere else really anymore). We called our water company and they were basically like it isn't sewer gas you dumbass, goodbye. Google says natural gas (we use oil) or sewer gas. Not entirely sure who to contact. Any guesses or experience with this?

Are you sure a skunk didn't blast your house? About 6 years ago we had a similar issue that didn't make a whole lot of sense since the smell was so strong inside and barely even noticeable outside. Turned out some kind of animal had dug a burrow under the 3 steps leading up to our front door, and that particular morning a skunk had gotten into a fight with something else in there and sprayed the front of the foundation just a bit below where the basement and first floor meet. The smell was so bad my wife took the kids and fled for the day while our landlord and I tried to figure out what had happened and what we could do about it. Airing the house out some helped, but it took over a month for it to go away entirely.

• Options
    Jengo wrote: »

Yep, selling my co-op right now and it's not done until you get the money. At least you can enjoy the fact that you don't have to deal with a managment company or co-op board who also have to approve the transaction.

Lord yes, I do not envy you the additional hoops you have to go through.

In happy news, new place is looking great (really hard to picture siding colors, etc at scale from samples, but it is going in now and is awesome). Next up is flooring and tile, hopefully we did a good job selecting there too.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    UGLY DOVE BABIES!
    x33V6Orl.jpg
    I've named them Bird Reynolds and Robird Downy Jr.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Today we went freezer shopping, and found a nice 14.5 cuft chest freezer at Costco. So that's now situated in the garage.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Today we went freezer shopping, and found a nice 14.5 cuft chest freezer at Costco. So that's now situated in the garage.

Fill it with meats and otter pops.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Freezers are still hard to find, nice!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    So about a month ago my riding mower broke down and wouldn't start. I've been tinkering with it a bit here and there, but having minimal mechanic skills hadn't gotten too far with it, and meanwhile my lawn was continuing to grow into an unruly mess. Today, I finally got it fixed (it was just the stupid seat kill switch) and it just felt so damn satisfying mowing my lawn again. It's really just the small things.

• Options
    Anyone have experience using a pole saw attachment on a string trimmer (80v in this case)?

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »

Are you sure a skunk didn't blast your house? About 6 years ago we had a similar issue that didn't make a whole lot of sense since the smell was so strong inside and barely even noticeable outside. Turned out some kind of animal had dug a burrow under the 3 steps leading up to our front door, and that particular morning a skunk had gotten into a fight with something else in there and sprayed the front of the foundation just a bit below where the basement and first floor meet. The smell was so bad my wife took the kids and fled for the day while our landlord and I tried to figure out what had happened and what we could do about it. Airing the house out some helped, but it took over a month for it to go away entirely.

We debated that too. After talking with a friend and my brother-in-law (who works in pest management), I want to say something died in the house behind a wall somewhere. It seems to have died down a lot (haven't been in the basement today though).

More fun animal shenanigans. The tree next to our deck has bulb lights strung about it (previous owners). Squirrels have been fucking with it HARD the past week. Chewing through wires (only 2 strands light up now :( ). And they are stealing bulbs. They chew the wire, falls off the tree and bulbs shatter. Some stay intact. Wondering if anyone has hung string lights that worked well vs animals.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

We ordered our new fridge probably 2 months ago. It is supposedly coming this Friday. WE SHALL SEE.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Fill it with meats and otter pops.

This was the goal of today's shopping. The freezer is now filled with meats, prepared food, and confectioneries such as Otter Pops.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

We ordered our new fridge probably 2 months ago. It is supposedly coming this Friday. WE SHALL SEE.

I ended up canceling mine after 3 months of delays and rescheduling. Still trying to find a scratch/dent one :(

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    So an FYI, ceiling CO1 detectors are super sensitive. 100 ppm.

I have set off one of the ceiling ones with a hot water heater misfire. The room was crowded (we were “training” on a hot water heater) too and nobody was feeling oogy, and these were all feds who if I painted on the 6th floor with 0 voc paint someone on the 3rd floor would have the vapors and go home because the paint fumes were too much.

zepherin on
  • Options
    Offer accepted, inspection complete (agreed to do ~$500 in repairs), only the nightmare scenario of them backing out and losing the earnest money now remains for me to anxiet over.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Started trying to get my yard ready to seed with grass/clover/flower mixture. It's kind of an exhausting nightmare, lol. My yard is literally dirt, weeds, and rocks, so I'm going around pulling weeds and picking up rocks and it never ends, lol. Might need to rent a truck or something, too, just to get rid of all this stuff, since I filled my trash can with like 1/10th of the yard. Also need to figure out what to do with all these rocks. I'm kind of considering doing a strip of rocks on the sides of the house for the aesthetics and to make mowing easier, but I still need to figure out what all is involved in doing that. If it's just removing some dirt, placing some weed barriers down, and then tossing rocks on it, that might be doable. Also trying to figure out how I need to grade my yard, since it's all a hill. Probably gonna have to go find some fill dirt and bring it to my house, too, to fill in erosion spots. Might need to use that rented truck for that, too.

There's one spot I'm not entirely sure how to grade properly. There's a bit that sticks out that catches stuff going downhill. I'm thinking that as long as I grade away from that while also grading away from the regular side of the house in sort of a corner formation, it should be ok?

A1I68Kz.png

Edit: Also, a progress shot, woo.
    V8tmXBs.jpg

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Washer started making a high pitched whining noise.

Washer started emitting smoke.

Washer smells like something electrical burned out.

*sigh*

I wager this one might be beyond the repairman.

Edit: Taking all recommendations now. Preferably stackable, ideally top loading dryer/washer unit.

Quid on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

*sigh*

Edit: Taking all recommendations now. Preferably stackable, ideally top loading dryer/washer unit.
    Stackables are usually front loading, it’s a bit hard to load a top loader with a dryer on top of it.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    zepherin wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

*sigh*

Stackables are usually front loading, it’s a bit hard to load a top loader with a dryer on top of it.

They make units like these - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ge-unitized-spacemaker-2-3-cu-ft-12-cycle-washer-and-4-4-cu-ft-4-cycle-electric-dryer-combo-white-on-white/6175641.p?skuId=6175641
    They're ok for smaller loads, but they're expensive for what they are.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

Note that the all-in-one machines are condensing dryers, which have trouble with drying time. Review says average total wash/dry time is 3.5 to 4 hours, which is low for this type of appliance. Not having to get up and transfer clothes over halfway through is nice, but if you have a family, the increased time, plus not being able to start a second load in the washer while the dryer is running can be a dealbreaker.

This discussion has been closed.