As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PSO2] Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis is essentially PSO3!

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Just did the defend mining operation urgent mission succesfully for the first time.
    Synchronized firing button pushing is just the right kind of cheese. :D

It's so shamelessly corny and I love it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Fiskebent wrote: »
    Just missing the urgent beach quest now to finish my bingo card.
    OMG, there's one more bingo card after you finish the first one?!?

steam_sig.png
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Yeah ARKS Bingo cards are front-and-back. Front is low-level while the back is typically Super Hard and up. The back usually has 50 SG for completion in JP, along with the 20 from the front. Bingo clears and rewards are per-character, so quite worth the effort to rake in those Star Gems.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Oh Theodor why?
    This is going to get worse before it gets better.
    Luther is such an obviously evil person.
    I'd blame Theodor for falling for Luther's manipulations, but he was kinda in no condition to make sensible decisions.

Nyysjan on
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    I beat Luther on Hard last night, at lv45/35, and uh the difficulty curve there compared to the entire rest of the game is... very sudden.

edited August 2020
    HOLY SPOILERIFIC URGENT MISSION BATMAN!
    Somehow i am super not surprised Luther ends up as dark falz.
    And then i killed him and took his stuff. :D

edit-
    You'd think that
    Xion dying, Luther turning into a dark Falx, and everyone having to relocate to a new arkship would be the end of an episode
    Well you would be wrong, the story just keeps on trucking. :D
    Episode 2 continues to be awesome, but less janky in how it is told, and i am not sure i approve of reduced jank.

In other news, i bought some room permits and now have a 3 room appartment, with a living room at the entrance, a bedroom to the right and what i can only call a tiny museum of sorts to the left.
    So now i just need to keep earning an ex cube every three days to pay the rent.
    Do ex cubes have uses other than the one trader?
    Because if not, i might just go and buy enough room permits to last till end of the year just in case.

Nyysjan on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular

edit-
    You'd think that
    Xion dying, Luther turning into a dark Falx, and everyone having to relocate to a new arkship would be the end of an episode
    Episode 2 continues to be awesome, but less janky in how it is told, and i am not sure i approve of reduced jank.

In other news, i bought some room permits and now have a 3 room appartment, with a living room at the entrance, a bedroom to the right and what i can only call a tiny museum of sorts to the left.
    Because if not, i might just go and buy enough room permits to last till end of the year just in case.

EX-Cubes are just the one trader, but that trader has more cool stuff. Two cubes gets you a 1000 FUN Ticket, enough for a 10-pull of FUN Scratchers, and the FUNporium sells plenty more items of varying usefulness.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote: »

edit-
    You'd think that

EX-Cubes are just the one trader, but that trader has more cool stuff. Two cubes gets you a 1000 FUN Ticket, enough for a 10-pull of FUN Scratchers, and the FUNporium sells plenty more items of varying usefulness.

They're also super easy to come by... running the two-stage urgents on XH with a +250% rare drop and +100% triboost and just smash piles of junk 10*s into more. 250% rare drop is only 6 cubes. Magatsu runs would net me upwards of 50-70 or something by the end?

edited August 2020
    I KNEW IT!
    I'm the dark falz, or possible the dark falz is me. Or is this a clone? a shapeshifter? please nobody tell me, not even in spoilers because i will open them.
    Also, this Matoi turning into dark falz and sacrificing herself is really shippy.
    Like, wow is it shippy. It can't be just me, right?
    I mean, sure, this could all be very platonic admiration and stuff, but that is not the tones i am getting.
    Really loving the episode 2 right now, some scenes get a bit too wordy (and really need pause button), but damn this is good.
    Baby Zeno is weird and adorable.

edit-
    Xiao, you try to do what you just suggested doing, i will fucking murder you and everyone on this ship if i need to in order to stop you.
    I am suddenly feeling lot more sympathetic to Theodor, huh...
    Need to bring him exploring sometime.

edit2-
    I haz found something i don't ectively love.
    The whole Afin and Vernal subplot.
    I mean, i mostly like it.
    But it's been ten years, and they were, what, 5? 10? the constant "that's what my sister would do" feels kinda corny, and not in the enjoyable way most of the story has been so far.

Also kinda undecisive on how to feel about the Gettemhult saga.

Nyysjan on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

edit-
    You'd think that

Buying scratch tickets with them is a big deal because player shop access for f2p players comes from those tickets.

edited August 2020
    Chapter 2 done, finally.
    This game is super anime, in a good way.
    I loved the way this game handled time travel. It's just so casual about it, well, the people we need died, but nobody found the body, so i guess we'll just go save and hide them for later.
    Meeting baby Zeno and zeeing tiny Afil was great, and meeting Matoi was both heartwarming and heartbreaking.
    Luther, that utter piece of shit, was taken down, and then got kicked around and eaten by couple kids, love it.
    Some scenes dragged on a bit, but what problems the story had are pretty much uindustry and anime standard so there's not much to do about them.
    And they were far less bad than in most games or anime.
    The squid guy was great and chill, and his interactions with Echo were funny, hope to see more of him.

Dark Falz the Masked reveal was great, i was suspecting they were me since the early episode 1 (no real reason, just thought it would be a good twist), and seeing my face under the mask made me literally laugh out loud and going "i knew it" while grinning like a madman.

Quite possibly my favorite part was with Theodor and Ulku.
    Theodor is feeling down because of all the "helped Luther to almost kill millions (billions?) of people.
    and Ulku goes all "got to pick yourself up even if everyone won't forgive you", yeah, loved that.
    Because it is not just an automatic forgiveness, but actually makes a point about how not everyone is going to forgive, and that someone does not just get over something like what Theodor went through.
    Loved their storyline.

Man, this story is going places, will start on episode 3 next week, episode 2 was longer than 1 (or felt like it), so it might take a while, i do need to take breaks between constant story scenes as great as they are.

edit-
    Oh, and i super loved the final conversation between me and
    Dark Falz me.
    It seems like both of me genuinely cares about Matoi, just in different ways.
    I really wish i had the option to say "this time she won't be alone" or something like that.

Nyysjan on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    2 definitely felt like a big improvement over 1 to me yeah

BahamutZERO.gif
    Episode 2 was, technicly better written, had more content to it, and felt lot larger in scope.
    But i can't help that with the technical improvements, something was lost.
    Episode 1 sold me in part due to it's "flaws", it was janky, jarring, disjointed and just plain weird, and i loved it for that.
    And now some of that is gone, replaced with competent writing and character depth, which are by no means bad things, but i can find them in lot of places.
    I'm going to miss the "wait what?" feeling and the confused smile i kept having in episode 1.

i think my peak enjoyment of the game may be in beach wars.
    it's just such a perfect execution of the filler beach episode.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    can you play with people on different ships?

edited August 2020
    You can create new characters (free or paid) on any ship you'd like. For the most part, you cannot interact with players from a different ship than the one your character is on.

There is a "Shared Ship", on which you can only play Challenge Mode and Battle Mode. Characters from any ship can visit the Shared Ship at-will via the block-change teleports in the lobby.

You can also pay 700 AC (JP price) to schedule a character for a ship transfer during the next scheduled maintenance. Their inventory and Character Storage are transferred with them, not any shared storage.

IceBurner on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Guess what we're getting tomorrow?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • useruser Registered User regular
    I settled on Braver for my 'happy to be playing it' melee class. I'm just about level 50 on it and its now time to upgrade from my measly Red Katana -- I know I could just buy a cheapo Nox weapon and be good, but I want to craft something for myself if only because it presents an opportunity to familiarize myself with a lot of these systems; and anyway from what I can tell the Nox Katana has a trash potential.

I'm kind of curious how all-out should I go with it? I really have no perception of how quickly NA is playing catch up, so I have no idea if there's going to be a quick obsoletion of whatever I do here.

edited August 2020
    Crafted weapons are garbage. Outside the Fighter/Bouncer niche build that only works with crafted gear, don't bother. Crafted weapons all have the same attack power at a given craft level, they only keep their appearance and potential. This attack power never measures up to non-crafted weapons of the same rarity and greatly increases your damage variance on top. They should have taken the opportunity to scrap this useless part of the system for NA, just like they got rid of Old-Type weapons.

Useful crafts are the ones for Techniques and PA's, plus Timed Abilities on Units.

Nearly all Zero versions of PA's and techniques are practically mandatory; they're essentially an optional patch to transform moves that were bad to useless into something good. The only questionable ones are:
    - Zero Homing Volley: Remains of dubious use, and it's not even much stronger. Don't bother using either version of this PA.
    - Zero Zonde: So different the change can be questioned. Normal Zonde strikes down once from above and won't miss any locked target in range. Zero Zonde strikes up from the ground randomly multiple-times in an area. A single target can be struck by more than one bolt, but it's not guaranteed
    - Zero Sacred Skewer: Also different enough to question which you want. The normal projectile falls from above after a delay and auto-aims at your target; a slightly awkward sniping tool. The Zero version is a horizontal, piercing javelin toss with a larger hitbox than is visible; a mobbing tool well-suited to the TPS aim.

For the rest, if you play a class with a Zero move craft available, get it. In any other game, the devs would have permanently changed these moves in a patch.

IceBurner on
    Oh I don't even think we can Craft Weapons in the Global Version. Sorry when I said crafting I just meant what we can do, which is upsloting and transferring affixes.

edited August 2020
    Oh, in PSO2 terms those functions aren't crafting. Messing with your item's list of powerups at the Item Lab is "Affixing" (JP) or "Augmenting" (NA).

IceBurner on
    Fair play, I've convinced my self, mostly, to not throw a couple million meseta at a improving a 12★ Katana.

I think I ought to go hard into a 13★ upslotting it to 6-7 augments. Maybe a Ray Katana?

edited August 2020
    Before investing too much into current gear, bear in mind PSO2 NA gets all the rest of the game within the next few months, not years.
    All current gear and augments will be massively outclassed very soon.

Gear still usable by the end of the game first comes into play during mid to late Ep 5. Until then, you're going to need regular gear replacements and shouldn't invest too much into weapons especially. Keep any 13+ star weapon you grind to +35, they'll be usable later as a special kind of fodder, or for reskinning other weapons.

Units were much less frequently replaced in JP. That said, with NA's rollout condensed from 8 years to 6 months, they won't see much longevity 'til the end, too.

IceBurner on
    *nods* I got that impression that's why I am thinking Ray would be the best Katana for the circumstances considering that at Max Grind it gets to transfer Astral Soul.

I did a collection folder and now I have a +30 Saika Katana, which seems pretty sweet. I’m not missing anything, right? It’s good enough for most things? I’m tempted to mostly call it good enough for now.

Also, at level 70, starting to think about good Units. What are good endgame units? Where can I get them?

Lucedes wrote: »
    I did a collection folder and now I have a +30 Saika Katana, which seems pretty sweet. I’m not missing anything, right? It’s good enough for most things? I’m tempted to mostly call it good enough for now.

Also, at level 70, starting to think about good Units. What are good endgame units? Where can I get them?

Right now, the Ray unit series is a good starting point still, from the rising weapon badge 2s. The last event was amazing for farming them up, though they're slower to get now... I think Saiki/Brissa sets are still reasonable as a starting point and aren't too pricey to buy? I'd have to double check.

Polaritie wrote: »

Right now, the Ray unit series is a good starting point still, from the rising weapon badge 2s. The last event was amazing for farming them up, though they're slower to get now... I think Saiki/Brissa sets are still reasonable as a starting point and aren't too pricey to buy? I'd have to double check.

My understanding is that it's a good idea to really skip over the lower than 12★ Units, since with 12★ and up it will be possible to add (L) Skill Rings to them which, depending on your class, can implicate a lot of nice to haves.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Is there a place PA people play on in the NA version? I'm gonna give this a go on steam. I saw the "ship 2 Ur" in the OP but that sounded like it was for the japanese version and I don't know if they're separate or not

initiatefailure on
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    I'm on Ship 2, I think a few others here are as well.

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
    If you're on Ship 2 use the Visiphone to send an invite to "Woe Bundy" and one of us officers should approve you soon.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Polaritie wrote: »

Also to follow-up this you can now farm up Rising Weapon Badges right quick doin the Arks Boost Rally missions. Should be quite easy to get yourself a full Circuray set with just a few nights play in this week.

Bleh. Just when I finally think I'm getting the hang of things, the new Solo PD Urgent kicks me back to the plebeian curb.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited September 2020
    The ice themed weapons have an alternate potential that increases damage output and reduces damage taken specifically in the solo PD quest, titled (輝光を屠る輪廻の徒花) in JP and Barren Blossom, Butcher of Light in NA. At +30 w/ Potential Lv3, it will be +20% damage and -40% damage taken, which is huge, actually very close to end-game 15-star weapon potentials (just much lower base power and only good in one quest).

They're salable weapons even in NA, so you can check the visiphone for them. They drop from "Virtual Planet Battle Training (XH)", an EQ that's currently out of rotation.

In JP they were drops from solo PD and the big EXP Corruption bossrush Featured Quest. They were also put into the badge shop to make them even more accessible.

Also, just lol at the official PSO2 quest name. It's not wholly inaccurate, but rough and sort of misses the point. It's a flower that is reborn without growing from or bearing seed (thus eternal or perennial; fruitless is not the main point, forever is), and it destroys the light. There's a lot of ways to interpret verb 屠る acting on an inanimate force. "Butcher" is braindead-level literal. It's so awkward in English that even Google Translate is able to interpret it as "destroy the light".

I'd personally go with Perennial Destroyer of Light. The fanslation went with "The Endless Darkness" for the solo quest and "Perennial Darkness" for the multi party emergency/urgent quest.

IceBurner on
    IceBurner wrote: »
    The ice themed weapons have an alternate potential that increases damage output and reduces damage taken specifically in the solo PD quest

Oh neat, I have the TMGs in that series.

...It has fire element.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited September 2020
    I've decided to throw in my efforts to become a time ability master crafter.

I've managed to finish the Naverius, Lillipa, Wopal achievements 100%, and I can now craft the planet wide timed abilities for those region. For what I'm lacking, I'm about halfway through Amduskia, but rather short of the necessary crystals -- but my next 100% is Harukotan, somehow I managed to get all of crystals I need to finish it rather cheaply. Earth is going to be a pipe dream, unfortunately; seems like none of the Daily's award Earth Crystals and there's not a lot of Urgent Quests on Earth that involve mass slaughter

I made a small alliance for my irl friends, but I'm thinking maybe if PA is still active, we can merge in? I think it would take a long time for my friends and I to achieve good photonic effects, though it was nice to be able to acquire capsules and extreme passes as our needs dictated.

I capped off Force/Techer on one character and I also finished Braver/Hunter on another. I never really got the hang of Br, (w/ melee Katana focus) I think I need to have a real sit down and figure it out -- I can't solo Profound Darkness the same way as I can on Force, and I think I don't really understand the rotations that lead to good damage output.

Happily on the same Braver toon, over the past week, I tried Bouncer and I had an epiphany and, honestly and truly I love the heck out of JetBoots, I'm trying to really nail the muscle memory for them before I try out Soaring Blades too.

Anyone still playing this?

user on
    I am still here! Not nearly enough resources to rush my way to Timed Ability crafting though.

Finally started an alt for daily grinds and also to play more dressup with. Finally getting the hang of Hunter and guarding and Sacrificial Bite-ing and stuff.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited September 2020
    Good news: I've finally reached Hunter Lv75 on my main!

...Bad news: I still can't beat the Solo PD urgent. It's particularly stew-worthy that you can't even practice it between UQs because it's so different from the Story version. On top of that, I still only have the Ice TMGs when I'm not that great at Gunner and the Ice rifles are rare and pricey.

EDIT: Shaking mad. Six tries and I couldn't even beat Gemini.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    In more uplifting news: Sakura Wars collab inbound!

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    In more uplifting news: Sakura Wars collab inbound!

Those mecha outfits are glorious and I want one. To then start slapping all these other robot accessories I have sitting around onto...

• AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    Just be aware that some suit outfits do not let you add accessories