As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Interesting Facts] are coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Coming across a large animal that you previously had no sense of scale for can be...intimidating.

Or maybe it was the fact that we got buzzed by a 16' Tiger shark the size of our Catamaran a 1/4 mile off shore in Florida that was intimidating. I'd snorkeled around reef sharks before, obviously been to aquariums. But to see something that large, up close, in person was a sense of dread I have not experienced since.

The very notion of swimming with an animal as large as the whale shark or blue whale terrifies me even though I know they only consume the tiniest of prey.

This is compounded by my deep and primal fear of the open ocean.

I went swimming with whale sharks a couple of years back! Couple of takeaways:
    • Holy shit they are so big, just absolutely massive
    • Because they are so big they don't GAF about anything in the ocean so they just completely ignored everyone snorkeling around them
    • They look like they are moving slowly but they actually move at a pretty decent clip. The captain would steer the boat about 20 meters in front of the shark, the divemaster would have us jump in and start swimming "as fast as you possibly can" and the shark would easily overtake you. Each encounter probably lasted about 1 minute.
    • I still haven't developed the film from my underwater camera because who gets film developed anymore? I should probably go do that.

Also on that trip I had the best ceviche and guacamole of my life, then floated around in the shallows of a lagoon and drank some cheap Mexican lager before checking out a coral reef. Pretty much one of the coolest days of my life.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

My gaelic name translates as 'nervous meatball'

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

Why would they think making a show about how fucking awesome and adrenaline inducing stealing a car and running from the cops would lower crime?

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    the russian state watched the running man and were confused why arnold won

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I feel like this partially explains why "Russian dash cams" are a thing.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Hobnail wrote: »

Charming

Admittedly 100 pounds of white phosphorous will produce a prodigious amount of smoke, it'll burn your children alive and make a lot of smoke

white phoshorus ignites on contact with air

so, if you fire white phosphorus rounds into a firing range which is mostly soggy marshland, and the shells or bits of them get submerged, then it'll stay unignited in that water for 40 years

until a conscript out on unexploded ordnance clearing picks it up, puts it in the backpack of the guy next to them, where it quietly dries until it is dry then it catches fire. Inside the backpack where you've got all the stuff you've picked up.

I learned this at the briefing before we went traipsing through the firing range picking up unexploded ordnance. A hand went up, does that happen a lot? Backpacks on fire, I mean?

eh, not that often, the explosives officer went. Around three or four each time. If we found bits of shells that looked like it might have been that greenish-white colour of that smoke round - 40 years ago - and had some gunk on it, but not like, regular marsh gunk but like, other gunk, don't pick that up. But yes, he added, they mostly just look like all the other scrap.

so if you notice smoke coming out of the backpack next to you, do let him know sooner rather than alter.

(the norwegian army has no firing ranges that aren't essentially just a hilly marsh. This is why we stopped using these rounds. Still find them and bits of them, though.)

His instructions for dealing with mortar rounds was to jiggle it a bit, to see if it wasn't just a loose tail of one you've found. If it wasn't, but looked like a whole round buried in the soft soil, our instructions were to immediately stop jiggling it and walk very swifly away.

Remarkably chill about explosive in general, that guy.

these things look cool when they're detonated, though

EDIT: the norwegian term for unexploded ordnance is blindgjenger, blind-walker. Apropos nothing.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    What kind of terrifies me, is that after billions of years of evolution, the Blue Whale is the biggest animal ever. I thought maybe there'd be an ancient underwater creature that surpassed it, back in the Jurrasic, when animals were often a whole lot bigger but nope. It's here, and living among us.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    There were terrifyingly large ichthyosaurs

What allowed blue whales to grow so large is that mammal anatomy is well-suited for the evolution of this kind of filter-feeding and rather recent patterns in the distribution of ocean nutrients

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

In 2000/2001 I was working for a Coke bottler. We got word that there was a pretty cool show similar to this in development, where some people would be on a nation (US)-wide game of hide and seek. The cast would go from city to city, hiding not just from hunters, but also the general public. They'd have to complete tasks (like getting a Coke, hence our involvement), and the longer they lasted, the bigger the reward to the public for finding them.

Then 9/11 happened and they thought that hyping up everyone's paranoia wouldn't be that enjoyable, so it got scuttled. Still thought it sounded like a fun game, and now I guess I know where they got the idea.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Some of the giant mosasaur species were thought to hit 60 feet, no thank you.

France and Germany had their versions of a weird show back in the 80s where contestants would tell a helicopter where to land so they could solve riddles

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular

Meanwhile the US version of this show was called Bait Car and the premise was a car would be left unlocked and with the keys in it in a low income neighborhood in a major city. The car was rigged with hidden cameras and microphones, and they'd wait for someone to steal the car, and then arrest them a few blocks away for grand theft, auto.

Few people seemed interested in exploring the ramifications of setting up people to commit a "crime" explicitly for the purpose of arresting them for a felony offense and broadcasting it on tv for all to see.

edited August 2020
    I almost posted what amounts to an ad for artisanal suicide belts on a Syrian craigslistesque site before deciding that this forum might not need that on it but know that these ads exist and boy that's fucked up

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

Hobnail, why were you on a segment of the internet where stuff like that even gets posted

are you ok

wY6K6Jb.gif
    Segment of the internet, its all a big fuckin segment soon youll have popup ads for craft produced suicide belts and incendiary drones gettin in the way of your fuckin last week tonight bootleg stream

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

In 2000/2001 I was working for a Coke bottler. We got word that there was a pretty cool show similar to this in development, where some people would be on a nation (US)-wide game of hide and seek. The cast would go from city to city, hiding not just from hunters, but also the general public. They'd have to complete tasks (like getting a Coke, hence our involvement), and the longer they lasted, the bigger the reward to the public for finding them.

Then 9/11 happened and they thought that hyping up everyone's paranoia wouldn't be that enjoyable, so it got scuttled. Still thought it sounded like a fun game, and now I guess I know where they got the idea.

That was Wanted, right? We had a version here in Sweden that ran in '97-'99.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Sure sounds like it!
    I think it would have been a really fun and engaging game, in another world, in another time.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I am afraid it is a belt of plastic explosives and shrapnel that one can use offensively or as a last resort to avoid capture, not uncommon

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ah, so terrorism, not strangling yourself in a closet.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Ah, so terrorism, not strangling yourself in a closet.

This was my thought too, and had me wondering "isn't that just a belt?"

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    If a belt were to commit suicide, would it hang itself?

I'm looking for the thread which was talking about witches

Which thread is the witch thread

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

This is actually what the story Running Man, from Stephen King is. The movie with Arnold bore exactly zero resemblance to the story. It is a really good story with a very sad ending.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

This is actually what the story Running Man, from Stephen King is. The movie with Arnold bore exactly zero resemblance to the story. It is a really good story with a very sad ending.

So what you're saying is that it is a Steven King story.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    That is for sure some type of MacGuffin

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    That's the kind of shit that grants wishes when you find it in STALKER.

Have to admit that is pretty cool but one thing is confusing me. According to that person's website the area he put it in will not be habitable for the next 3 to 30k years. I looked all over the internet but I could not find anything saying that even the plant itself would be radioactive that long. Am I missing something somewhere?

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Its literally a cosmic cube guys.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    How Tokyo’s Massive Lost & Found Works 3:48
    https://youtu.be/2xlUDUtftGw
    The bad news—you lost your wallet in Tokyo. The good news—chances are good you will get it back, along with all the cash tucked inside. In Japan, residents are diligent about making sure what’s lost is found and returned to its rightful owner. This is how the city’s stunningly efficient Lost & Found system works.

Peas on

I checked out Scots wikipedia and this seems to be true, it's almost all written by one guy

Wow

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Coming across a large animal that you previously had no sense of scale for can be...intimidating.

Or maybe it was the fact that we got buzzed by a 16' Tiger shark the size of our Catamaran a 1/4 mile off shore in Florida that was intimidating. I'd snorkeled around reef sharks before, obviously been to aquariums. But to see something that large, up close, in person was a sense of dread I have not experienced since.

The very notion of swimming with an animal as large as the whale shark or blue whale terrifies me even though I know they only consume the tiniest of prey.

This is compounded by my deep and primal fear of the open ocean.

Ok
    Out in the deep Pacific several times the water was clear enough to see the transition to where light fades out about 40m down
    There was a group of sharks once just going in and out of the dark part eating a school of fish. It was both a primal fear and a thing of awe

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Platy wrote: »

I checked out Scots wikipedia and this seems to be true, it's almost all written by one guy

Wow

Who the fuck is Scot?

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    If you smash it open you get an infinity stone.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Scotty clearly doesn't know.