As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lancer] Mud and Lasers

2»

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Somehow my mind has settled on how awesome it would be to do an Outlaw Star inspired Lancer campaign, and I can't stop day dreaming about it. It is v annoying.

Also, could I get a link to the Lancer Discord?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Just for fun I’m gonna workshop a new manufacturer if thats okay. I’m not really part of the LANCER community, Hell, I just got it in a bundle and haven’t played or run it yet.

Orbital Robotics Battalion (ORB)

Shining a light on our history, to build a brighter future in the darkest of corners.

Orbital Robotics Battalion — ORB for short — is an outlying frontier manufacturer that gets by in the shadow of the Big Four, and has yet to show up on the radar of GMS. Initially funded by Ras Shamra expats on the artificial moon Aesop 1 (built to salvage the habitability of war-torn Vel Caspri), it exchanged hands numerous times before being commandeered by the frontier miners of the nearby Babjyenaga system.

Adaptable, rough around the edges but tough with it, and priding itself on picking up the technological dead-ends of other manufacturers, ORB is an under the table organisation used primarily by frontier and spaceborn folk to get the edge when resources and legitimate connections are tight.

Djinni
    —Size 2
    The Djinni was designed to act in the stead of multiple weapon platforms and frames when the enemy outnumbers you ten to one; a common sight when the Union heads into contested frontier space or pirates corner a deep space habitat station.

Frame Traits:
    Velocity Intrusion Zone
    1/round, after you Boost, the Djinni marks the area it covers. Until the start of your next turn it costs 3 speed to cross any marked space.

Looped Sensory Array
    When the Djinni has the Lock On condition, its sensor range is doubled.

Adaptive Structure
    When you stabilise and choose any option other than restoring all HP, the Djinni regains HP equal to ¼ of its total current HP.

Available Weapon Mounts:
    Main Mount
    Main Mount
    Main Mount

Onboard Core System:
    Three Wishes Cannon
    “Now don’t go telling the guys over at Ushabti that we’ve got even halfway on understanding the math behind that thing, but what we’ve got on our hands is the destination of a shot, before you fire. We don’t know where the gun is, so you’ll have to fill that in as best you can.”

Active - Lamp Light Beacons
    Choose three spaces within sensor range. As a free action on your turn for the rest of the scene, you can make the barrage action on any of these points regardless of your weapon’s range, and the attack automatically hits.
    [Protocol]

Not exactly complete, but how’s it look for a first pass?

The general idea behind the Djinni is “don’t go there, thanks”.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Sloooowlly reading the PDF of this. I gotta be honest, i dont undestand much of it. Yet.

I still wana play it. Make a big ol mech that solves things via a simple solution: Punch. If that dont work? Punch more.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Sloooowlly reading the PDF of this. I gotta be honest, i dont undestand much of it. Yet.

I still wana play it. Make a big ol mech that solves things via a simple solution: Punch. If that dont work? Punch more.

Reading through it, it doesn't seem too complicated. I might run a game for it sometime. If for no other reason than my huge game book for it compels me to lol

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    It’s sort of on the edge of complex, where I can see high level play with 4 players versus 7 enemies being a bit of a nightmare to run.

I think I’d be inclined to only run this for 2 players starting from LL0 on my first go honestly.

So instead of doing the important but boring parts to complete the Djinni frame I’ve just started another.

Shahrazade
    —Size ½
    Considered something of a legacy chassis, the Shahrazade still sees active service amongst asteroid miners and those under fire in hostile environments. Its focus on mobility in the ever increasing scale of mech combat allows it to strike like a dagger to the eye of gods.

Frame Traits:
    High-Speed Mobile Calculation
    When the Shahrazade moves it does not activate mines, can traverse vertically and upside down, and ignores damage from natural hazards.

Energy Convertor
    When the Shahrazade takes energy damage its speed is increased by 1 until the end of your next turn; this stacks up to 3 times.

Impact Diffusion Spine
    The Shahrazade is immune to damage caused by involuntary movement, such as falling.

Available Weapon Mounts:
    Flex Mount

Onboard Core System:
    Khatif Qibla Fusion
    The autoscript encoding of the Shahrazade allows it to merge seamlessly with partner frames, plugging itself into its systems to enhance its reflexes and afford the Shahrazade greater defence when speed alone won’t do. With its mutually beneficial properties, some pilots have begun heading into the field exclusively fused.

Fuse — Active
    Not unlike the infamous Goblin, your mech attaches itself to another mech, becoming intrinsically linked to its systems. The host must be an allied and willing mech not already hosting another mech, larger than and adjacent to you.

While attached, you occupy their space, move with them, and benefit from hard cover, but can still be attacked and targeted separately. You also take any conditions and heat taken by your host.

Your host receives -1 difficulty on Agility checks and saves while you are attached.

Additionally, from the beginning of the next round, you no longer take your own turns; instead, you can take two quick actions or one full action at any point during your host’s turn. You can’t overcharge or move, but may still take reactions and free actions normally. Your host’s turn counts as your turn for the purpose of effects that refer to the start or end of a character’s turn.

This effect lasts either for the rest of the scene, until you detach as a quick action, or until you or your host becomes Stunned. When the effect ends, you don’t take a turn until the next round.
    [Quick Action]

This mech is named after the many variantly spelled narrator of One Thousand and One Arabian Nights, a young woman that must tell a new story to an evil monarch every night or die by his hand. The idea is both ‘gotta go fast!’ and ‘be a little helper on a big thing’.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

Reading through it, it doesn't seem too complicated. I might run a game for it sometime. If for no other reason than my huge game book for it compels me to lol

I am totally down for bringing Serq Breviden and their mecha that's going to punch it's way to revolution to your game.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Does anyone happen to know what the time table is like for the physical core book to be available to non backers?

It wasn’t really on my radar until recently when RPGs became I thing I could get friends into.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    Does anyone happen to know what the time table is like for the physical core book to be available to non backers?

It wasn’t really on my radar until recently when RPGs became I thing I could get friends into.

I have no idea but I hope for your sake it’s fairly soon

I just received my hardback copy and it is beautiful

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    So for no particular reason I’m gonna fully complete a manufacturer. So I think that needs 6 core bonuses you can slot in and 7 mechs with unique core systems. I’m calling it Orbital Robotics Battalion, and the mechs will be themed after particular fairy tale characters (as opposed to a general D&D monster type, so as to not be confused with HORUS).

Rapunzel
    —Size 1
    “It just sounds cool: Rapunzel. Dunno where that’s from, old war hero maybe? It’s only my second mech but it’s real high end work, top of the line, the best out there probably. I know I’m gonna win tomorrow. They ain’t seeing my strat’ until after I’ve taken ‘em down. What does it do? ...It’s got like, grappling lashes. Lots of grappling lashes.”

///Based on that long haired princess. A pure grappler with limited flight, meant to pull, push, lift and throw things. I’m thinking Doc Oct from Spider-Man and that one Chinese villainess archetype.

B.B.Wolf
    —Size 1
    Looking to secure a legitimate contract with a frontier fleet, ORB savants were herded under the brief management of the great auteur Killigan Byam. Initially advertised as a hardy frontline fighter, the minds behind it hid a series of failsafes and metamorph programs from prying eyes, effectively hiding a secondary pattern within the frame. The line was a major PR disaster, but the mech was overall considered a success.

///Based on the Big Bad Wolf. This is a real balanced Iron Giant looking guy, but like a werewolf it can be transformed into a close quarters beast that drops some defences for speed and damage.

Hansel/Gretel Duotype
    —Size 1
    “Advances in synthetic intelligence shackling have allowed for an increased complexity of commands here at ORB. With our exclusive Duotype technology you can split your assault between two frames for extended periods; perfect for recon and guerilla warfare. Who’ll watch your back at the furthest reaches of space? The answer is you.”

///Based on its well-known namesake. Control a mech that can split into two smaller mechs, and use them both on the same turn. They share gained heat, making them easy to meltdown, but devastating in bursts.

Dhullaghan
    —Size 2
    The Dhullaghan is not strictly a mech as we have come to understand them, but rather a highly modified archaic global coverage dreadnaught tank. It lacks a number of components considered vital by contemporary pilots, but this affords it shielding from many forms of electronic warfare—there is simply less to hit.

///Based on the Headless Horseman. Zero tech skills, maximum defence to hacking. Can survive having parts blown off. Real big tank / warship looking thing.

Momotarō
    —Size 2
    “We’ll work out the math later, it’s 37 hours until the next strike; we need this. Right, look… We didn’t actually design this, I get that. Or maybe we haven’t yet? There was this causality project ongoing when the Mussinpik was hit. Anyway, listen, the important bit is this pattern turned up in our databank, and this baby, it’s downright divine.”

///Based on a Japanese legend of a heavenly boy born from a giant peach. A budget HORUS weird sleek Evangelion kung fu mech that shouldn’t exist. Anime teleport dash powers.

What do you think of these concepts?

I think the general theme of ORB is trying to cover the most ground and fight larger numbers than you should, but they have nowhere near the raw power of Harrison, adaptability of SCC, nor the crazy impossible tech of HORUS. They’re the outlaw’s budget mech with a heart of gold.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Just for fun I’m gonna workshop a new manufacturer if thats okay. I’m not really part of the LANCER community, Hell, I just got it in a bundle and haven’t played or run it yet.

Orbital Robotics Battalion (ORB)

Shining a light on our history, to build a brighter future in the darkest of corners.

Orbital Robotics Battalion — ORB for short — is an outlying frontier manufacturer that gets by in the shadow of the Big Four, and has yet to show up on the radar of GMS. Initially funded by Ras Shamra expats on the artificial moon Aesop 1 (built to salvage the habitability of war-torn Vel Caspri), it exchanged hands numerous times before being commandeered by the frontier miners of the nearby Babjyenaga system.

Adaptable, rough around the edges but tough with it, and priding itself on picking up the technological dead-ends of other manufacturers, ORB is an under the table organisation used primarily by frontier and spaceborn folk to get the edge when resources and legitimate connections are tight.

Djinni
    —Size 2
    The Djinni was designed to act in the stead of multiple weapon platforms and frames when the enemy outnumbers you ten to one; a common sight when the Union heads into contested frontier space or pirates corner a deep space habitat station.

Frame Traits:
    Velocity Intrusion Zone
    1/round, after you Boost, the Djinni marks the area it covers. Until the start of your next turn it costs 3 speed to cross any marked space.

Looped Sensory Array
    When the Djinni has the Lock On condition, its sensor range is doubled.

Adaptive Structure
    When you stabilise and choose any option other than restoring all HP, the Djinni regains HP equal to ¼ of its total current HP.

Available Weapon Mounts:
    Main Mount
    Main Mount
    Main Mount

Onboard Core System:
    Three Wishes Cannon
    “Now don’t go telling the guys over at Ushabti that we’ve got even halfway on understanding the math behind that thing, but what we’ve got on our hands is the destination of a shot, before you fire. We don’t know where the gun is, so you’ll have to fill that in as best you can.”

Active - Lamp Light Beacons
    Choose three spaces within sensor range. As a free action on your turn for the rest of the scene, you can make the barrage action on any of these points regardless of your weapon’s range, and the attack automatically hits.
    [Protocol]

Not exactly complete, but how’s it look for a first pass?

The general idea behind the Djinni is “don’t go there, thanks”.

Without the Stats for the frame its hard to say but a) doubling sensor range is very powerful (there are no abilities in the core or expansion books that alter sensor range as its so crucial to a frame's balance) and b) doesn't actually do much as why would the GM ever have a NPC perform a lock on on you whilst you still had your move left in a turn?

Barrage as a free action even for 1 round is a incredible core power :biggrin: - using it turn 1 before the enemy has a chance to move is effectively a time walk, and combined with any weapon that immobilises (as it automatically hits) is game over for a lot of NPCs (not to mention how many control tools there are that the Djinn or its teammates could use to bully NPCs into these spaces).
    Its probably not intuitive how good this is without playing Lancer I'd admit - for comparison: combined with two Decksweeper shotguns its 4d6 automatic damage without action cost on the turn you use it i.e. the same damage as the Barbarossa or Sherman core systems that take up to 4 turns to charge and an action to use and have a chance to miss. And you can double tap it by take your turn at the end of one round and then the start of the next to ensure the NPCs don't have a chance to move out of the spaces. 8d6 damage at 0-action cost is a level of damage other mechs have to literally kill themselves and their pilot to achieve :lol:

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Kelor wrote: »

According to the authors on Discord at 'some point before the end of the year' the surplus of books from the first printing will go on sale (I am keenly watching this as well). Comment dated end of July.

The next printing will not be for 'a long time'.

Dis' on
  • Options
    So for no particular reason I’m gonna fully complete a manufacturer. So I think that needs 6 core bonuses you can slot in and 7 mechs with unique core systems. I’m calling it Orbital Robotics Battalion, and the mechs will be themed after particular fairy tale characters (as opposed to a general D&D monster type, so as to not be confused with HORUS).

What do you think of these concepts?

I think the general theme of ORB is trying to cover the most ground and fight larger numbers than you should, but they have nowhere near the raw power of Harrison, adaptability of SCC, nor the crazy impossible tech of HORUS. They’re the outlaw’s budget mech with a heart of gold.

These are cool! Intrigued how Momotarō is differentiated from the Mourning Cloak for anime dashing.

You don't really need to bother with 6 core bonuses as the several of the ones in the book are 'stat related', i.e. IPS-N has one that gives accuracy on Hull etc, and one that gives HP. These don't really need retreading so most homebrew manufacturers ease their workload with just 3 or 4 core bonuses.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    @Dis'

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I see that now. It might work as a quick action, skirmish thing... or even full action, barrage, to really force you into it.

For Momotarō I’m thinking it can teleport to any space it crossed on its last turn, which is way more limited, but cool after a boost. Maybe the core system will be a proper teleport with a wide range. Whatever I go for it’ll be weaker but have more utility. Perhaps just +2 range to melee attacks would convey that kind of blink forward, blink back attack.

Rather than clog up the thread here’s a link to my ongoing frames. I’ve only completed the Dhullaghan.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Er7v00Jqa0qf6AEkn-pY9E4_Xc2sRDchU5GW4a5ibcM/edit

Endless_Serpents on