As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Football/Soccer] Thread about kickin' balls

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's always a bit weird that RB Leipzig is so hated for being a company club when several of the well established Bundesliga clubs are completely or partially company owned, like Wolfsburg with VW and Leverkusen with Bayer.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    It's always a bit weird that RB Leipzig is so hated for being a company club when several of the well established Bundesliga clubs are completely or partially company owned, like Wolfsburg with VW and Leverkusen with Bayer.

It is to do with the 51% rule. German football clubs are required to have at least 51% of the club owned by fans/public. Red Bull Leipzig have gotten around this by having their membership be extremely expensive and not giving voting rights to the vast majority of members. So technically they are within the rules but not really.

The two clubs you mention are owned by companies and have an exemption from those rules (along with Hoffenheim).

• Options
    honovere wrote: »

Germans don't like them either but they're not skirting the 50+1 rule.

The reason they're tolerated is because Wolfsburg and Bayer were part of the community and formed specifically by and for the workers there. Leverkusen was founded by 170 workers in the plants.

Red Bull is just a drinks conglomerate who don't give two shits about Leipzig and would have set up literally anywhere else that would have made them more money, which goes against the community ethos of German football.

• Options
    in terms of hatred it goes RB -> Hoffenheim -> Wolfsburg -> Leverkusen

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    To be fair, in terms of hatred (sports team edition) it goes Red Bull > whatever.

Probably.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Everyone hates red bull in every sport

Even climbers who take Red Bull sponsorship are considered like, sliiiiightly sell out-y even though that basically means you get 50p and a can of vimto for your trouble

• Options
    there’s West Brom reject Serge Gnabry

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Ugh, we sold him for just £5 million to Werder Bremen.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Premier League fixture list is out. We've got Spurs on Boxing Day and Man U on the last day of the season. December looks a bit tricky but the tough matches are generally spread out for us, which is nice (barring a one two punch of City and Liverpool right after each other).

• Options
    Wright is a hero

• Options
    Spurs, Chelsea, Everton and Arsenal all in October for United

I'm not liking the look of that

• Options
    ak7uxbw6n7ab.png

big joy division vibe off this

• Options
    Chevrolet image ruins it though

They should get like, Kalashnikov to sponsor them or something

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Chevrolet image ruins it though

They should get like, Kalashnikov to sponsor them or something

its the last year of the Chevvy deal

apparently the deal was so bad for Chevvy, they fired the person responsible

• Options
    However, less than eighteen months after the official announcement of the deal, and even before the Chevrolet bowtie logo was supposed to appear on the official Manchester United shirts, General Motors announced it would withdraw Chevrolet from the European market.

Ooops.

• Options

here's my local team missing a penalty and scoring a rebound last season from the pov of our biggest rivals

the comedic timing is just *chef's kiss*

• Options
  • Options
    He's a footballer from Sheffield it was only a matter of time before he got arrested for something

• Options
    this is a pretty boneheaded move and it comes in second in my list of "dumb shit English players did when on the piss"

number one is eternally John Terry getting wrecked in Heathrow and insulting some grieving American tourists on September 12th 2001

• Options
    Gerrard lamping a DJ because they didn't want to play Phil Collins is another top five entry.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    this is a pretty boneheaded move and it comes in second in my list of "dumb shit English players did when on the piss"

number one is eternally John Terry getting wrecked in Heathrow and insulting some grieving American tourists on September 12th 2001

Wasn't Frank Lampard also involved as well?

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
  • Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

Wasn't Frank Lampard also involved as well?

yeah it was Terry, Lampard, Jody Morris and Eidur Gudjohnsen

• Options
    sevilla are just SO unlikeable my god

• Options
  • Options
  • Options

very intentional goal here

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    The best* goal I ever scored - an absolute rocket from 50 yards out that hovered about ten feet off the ground before curving straight into the top corner - was completely by accident. As a centre-back I was just sprinting towards a cleared ball because if their striker got it first I was done. And he almost did, so I just went in with every intent to hammer it, he ducked out of contact, and I caught it on the hop about a foot off the ground. Among the best hit balls I've ever seen, and a constant shock that I did it.

*I only scored three times in all my amateur play. The other two were taps ins from left-back.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Barcelona have to pay Liverpool €5m (£4.5m) if Philippe Coutinho wins the Champions League with Bayern Munich this season.

insult, meet injury

Well, let's hope Barca had the forsight to put that money aside.

sig.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    PSG lost, which was nice.

Add Neymar crying and refusing to collect his runners up medal spat for extra sweetness.

• Options
    it's very funny that i continue to have the same number of England caps as Jack Grealish

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53903703

I have no idea how this will pan out in the end, but crikey.

• Options
    Slabhead Harry went to Greece
    Drank so much that he punched police
    80 million down the drain
    Slabhead Harry strikes again

• Options
  • Options
    when was the last time a player at a major club actually went to prison for something like this (aka, something you'd expect them to have a career after and not like Adam Johnson)

i know big Dunc and i think Dennis Wise did some time for assault, but both of those things happened in the country they were actually playing in and their sentences were massively reduced

i've actually no idea what might happen now

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    England vs Greece in the Nations League, anyone?

I'm sure that won't bring the knobheads out of the woodwork. Well, further out of the woodwork than a typical England fixture, anyway.

• Options
    Victor Lindelof: Man Utd defender thanked by Swedish police for catching thief

united's defence, perfectly balanced as all things should be

This discussion has been closed.