As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Welcome to the Exclusive PA [Wrestling] Thread

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Angle's dumb wig and wrestling headgear combo was a lot of fun when he lost his vs. Edge.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    I like how Lady Maravilla did it after losing her hair match where she'd wear a stocking cap into wvery match and the face could pull it off to reveal her buzz cut to a pop and to embarass her.

Granted it means more in Mexico to lose a hair match.

Kurt Angle's amateur-headgear-strapped rug was a similar work of brilliance.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    HHH booked Dream in the midcard title match

The night more accusations (with DM evidence) came to light

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Geddoe wrote: »
    Despite going on a long time, the Mandy/Sonya feud is interesting. But how can they ever be friends on screen again? They seem like great friends in real life. Mandy was in Sonya's guest room when the stalker showed up. But the feud is presented as so intense and personal, that their characters ever being friends again seems a bit... unbelievable.

Mandy/Sonya is almost at Bossman/Al Snow or Bossman/Big Show levels of heat between them.

On a related note, Sonya's almost certainly losing the hair v hair match, right? Gonna make "put your hair up and square up" an interesting phrase to use...

It makes the most sense for Sonya. She can probably pull it off better, and it suits her MMA training more, especially since she's expressed interest in working Raw Underground. It's perfect for her.

So of course it'll be Mandy who loses.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Despite going on a long time, the Mandy/Sonya feud is interesting. But how can they ever be friends on screen again? They seem like great friends in real life. Mandy was in Sonya's guest room when the stalker showed up. But the feud is presented as so intense and personal, that their characters ever being friends again seems a bit... unbelievable.

Mandy/Sonya is almost at Bossman/Al Snow or Bossman/Big Show levels of heat between them.

On a related note, Sonya's almost certainly losing the hair v hair match, right? Gonna make "put your hair up and square up" an interesting phrase to use...

It makes the most sense for Sonya. She can probably pull it off better, and it suits her MMA training more, especially since she's expressed interest in working Raw Underground. It's perfect for her.

Mandy just had a haircut forced upon her, though. Seems redundant? If that was the endgame why go through with the initial attack at all?

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Why are we linking to Fake Deadspin

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Spindead

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

AEW is bringing fans back for their 8/27 show.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    gross

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Beginning to think that AEW was always this cartoonishly evil and the only difference they had from the wwe was one of scale

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    It's also a lot easier to hate WWE because it's very easy to know where the blame belongs.

With AEW, I suppose the simplest answer is that Tony Khan is being a greedy shit but I dunno where these dumbfuck decisions' starting point really is.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    It's also a lot easier to hate WWE because it's very easy to know where the blame belongs.

With AEW, I suppose the simplest answer is that Tony Khan is being a greedy shit but I dunno where these dumbfuck decisions' starting point really is.

AEW made a lot of noise when they were getting started that people just forgot that the executives were all carnies. And a carny is going to keep carny-ing because that is what a carny does.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    They're definitely doing it because of all the indy shows doing it, and they're jealous of getting crowd reactions again. Most of the indies haven't done a great job at enforcing the rules and I don't trust AEW or the fans to follow and enforce the rules.

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I don't even think it's money necessarily, because 10-15% capacity is going to be a pretty negligible gate. I think they just really want to have actual fans to perform to. And I get that, but this really seems like a terrible idea.

Yeah I think the dreaded answer is that literally everyone in the company wants this.

Which is unsurprising but frustrating.

And that doesn't even factor in the terrible job Florida is doing compared to most other states.

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    I will say it's been nice to see New Japan's protocol of "we will be at 10% capacity. Nobody is allowed to speak only clap. After every other match we will bleach this entire ring." It makes matches weird because when a heel goes on offense things just sort of go dead silent and you have to figure out that the rhythm of the clapping would match "O-ka-da."

Even with all those measures though I think it would be inadvisable for AEW since America is basically the kid in the back of class who can't keep their fingers out of their mouth.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    I never bought into the idea that AEW was the progressive wrestling promotion that many people just assumed that they were. I would have bet money that WWE would have brought fans back first and I guess it’s just a matter of time before they follow suit. Sports and “sports entertainment” are the privilege of a functioning society and the US is not functioning and may not for some time.

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    jonny439 wrote: »
    I never bought into the idea that AEW was the progressive wrestling promotion that many people just assumed that they were. I would have bet money that WWE would have brought fans back first and I guess it’s just a matter of time before they follow suit. Sports and “sports entertainment” are the privilege of a functioning society and the US is not functioning and may not for some time.

There was a brief period where AEW was talking about healthcare and unionization but so far they've mostly been the reason we don't get those great Kenny Omega matches anymore.

Mwx884o.jpg
    also the early pushing of autism friendly arenas and shows. They for sure, if not marketed themselves as progressive, put forward a foot of doing some right things.

2ohWien.png
    edited August 2020

WWE already announced they were bringing fans back a few days ago.

Confusingly they did this while simultaneously announcing their building of that crazy digital arena.

Nvm I misread a presser.

Thawmus on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Ill give them credit for at least trying something

thunderdome-pics.jpg

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular

Confusingly they did this while simultaneously announcing their building of that crazy digital arena.

To be fair, there is a difference between the digital hellscape WWE has constructed and the real-world hellscape AEW is creating.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
    Nirya wrote: »

To be fair, there is a difference between the digital hellscape WWE has constructed and the real-world hellscape AEW is creating.

Yeah, there's nothing inherently wrong with the Thunderdome, I don't think. It just gives off a Running Man vibe and I get the heebies.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    wait holy shit how is this the first time ive seen this

https://youtu.be/7iy2F_OD24o

icGJy2C.png
    I think the fact that a bunch of wrestlers got corona stopped WWE from getting fans first. You only get one fuck up per pandemic.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    AEW did give a trans woman their women's title, which is something I doubt WWE will do within the next...fucking who knows if anyone will ever see it happen. It'd mean more if AEW bothered to actually let their women's division do anything.

Penelope Ford had a great match against Shida then disappeared from tv and that makes no sense. I understand not wanting to go back to Nyla vs Shida already, but Nyla should be trying to get a rematch.

Mick Foley is the best promo

2ohWien.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

Mick Foley is the best promo

I still have Jake the Snake as my GOAT on the mic, but Mick would be somewhere on my promo Rushmore.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Mandy just had a haircut forced upon her, though. Seems redundant? If that was the endgame why go through with the initial attack at all?

Because Vince, that's why.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Taking bets on how long before the virtual fan screens at thunderdome turn into chatroulette dick shots.

BLM - ACAB
    The Geek wrote: »
    Taking bets on how long before the virtual fan screens at thunderdome turn into chatroulette dick shots.

I'll get in on that action but mostly because I'm trying to bribe fate into making it happen.

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Even without Renee Young, Talking Smack is still coming back. The new version will be hosted by Kayla Braxton and Xavier Woods, which actually sounds like a pretty good combo.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    So apparently the AEW audience is 10% of the outdoor venue sold in pods with social
    Distance between and masks required. The only problem? People bought and scalped tickets combing pods.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    so if Talking Smack is returning with Xavier

I hope this is his door into doing commentary

Xehalus on
This discussion has been closed.