As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WOOF WOOF: It's a Dog Thread

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Stationary wrote: »
    cewbhmaapilv.jpg

This is Buddy, The shelter thought he was somewhere around 6 or 7 and just one giant ball of fluff. I rescued him about 8 months ago now and hes just the best calmest sweetest dog. Was a bit concerned about adopting a husky in Florida but dude doesn't seem to be bothered by the heat one bit. I think i'm going to take him camping with me in November or so for the first time when it starts to get a bit cooler during the day, he might not mind the heat but I sure cant handle it. Ive never been camping with a dog and im a bit nervous but also pretty excited to just spend a weekend hanging out outside with him.

camping with a dog is one of the few ways to elevate camping

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    He looks so mad.

"You think this is a fucking game, Sharon?"

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    @SporkAndrew Stanley is such a handsome lil man! What breed is he? I wanna get a dog like that

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tef wrote: »
    @SporkAndrew Stanley is such a handsome lil man! What breed is he? I wanna get a dog like that

He's a Border Terrier. They don't usually look so majestic and fluffy because people either shave them or strip them to remove the extra coat, but we just brush him out every few days to remove any stragglers.

We refer to him as Muppet dog, or a Fraggle, or Dougal from the Magic Roundabout because he's essentially a cartoon character come to life

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    You fool! dogs are solar powered

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    So - recommendations for dog puzzle toys?

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    So - recommendations for dog puzzle toys?

a cat

• Options
    Zig is happy the cafes are open again

872msuvxzjus.jpeg

• Options
    Heads up: I met a Very Good Great Dane today, thought you should all know

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

We had one in our group classes last year

One trick to keeping a dog walking well on a heel is to walk their pace, because if you go too slowly they'll dawdle or eat garbage or try to get the attention of the other dogs or whatnot

This night was also the first night of this session of classes, and we were slightly less organized than usual, so at one point my Dad did an extended period of heeling off and on for like ten minutes because he needed to get some dogs fitted with collars (we sold them at the time, now we have people get their own with the excuse of covid and also not having to blow an extra $20 of cost per dog)

Anyway this meant I had to fucking jog with this young Great Dane and I hadn't done cardio for a hot minute and getting this beast of a dog to avoid crushing chihuahuas in the process was a time

Eventually a friend of mine who was attending saw I was dying and tagged in to take him instead and I was so grateful

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    "can't walk my pace if I won't move my legs"

a947sl4nymzl.png

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That's weird who has a rug outdoors, Australia really is an upside down place

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    yeah sometimes rugs here will randomly eat a bunch of roo poo or a small bicycle

it's a bit weird but we don't think too much on it

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    My family had golden retrievers growing up, three successive generations' worth (one from each generation). I love dogs. I've never had a living situation where I could have one of my own though, and that bums me out. I think it would be very good for me with my depression and loneliness to have a companion.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    yeah sometimes rugs here will randomly eat a bunch of roo poo

If this is happening at all in other countries I have further questions.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    EvilCakeEvilCake Richmond VARegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

no pics though T_T

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I want everyone to know she now rams me with this thing. Took 20 minutes for her to weaponize a medical tool

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    You know what are some good ass dogs?

• Options
    All of them

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Anyone have any experience with these humane barking cessation collars? New dog is now very prone to going out early in the morning and barking at birds and neighbors and other dogs. And at all times of the day. I want her to have the freedom of going in and out when she wants via the dog door, but I do not want to get sidled with a noise complaint, and she doesn't bark when I'm present, so I can't correct her that way.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    My girlfriends daughter got her first you suck at hunting mouse from her cat. She wasnt amused. She put it outside then their schnauser ran out and finished it off.
    A hawk did not fly down and catch the mouse in mid air but it could have been a schedule conflict

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Anyone have any experience with these humane barking cessation collars? New dog is now very prone to going out early in the morning and barking at birds and neighbors and other dogs. And at all times of the day. I want her to have the freedom of going in and out when she wants via the dog door, but I do not want to get sidled with a noise complaint, and she doesn't bark when I'm present, so I can't correct her that way.

As an engineer and tech nerd who loves all things electronic I uh, don't generally recommend anything beyond collars with lights on 'em when it comes to dogs, and maybe the GPS tags if you want to get fancy

The only ones I *think* might be okay are the purely vibration types, at an extremely low setting, but any of those anti-barking aids are generally made to startle your dog and it can have a drastic effect on especially nervous dogs. You'll want to test it on the lightest possible setting to make sure it isn't going to lose its mind if you do end up wanting to give it a shot

We're working with one client right now who tried the type that make a noise when the dog barks at a dog-only pitch in an attempt to stop them barking at the door, but now the dog is absolutely terrified of the doorway and won't go near it. I wouldn't use 'em on my dogs, personally.

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    I just barked at my dogs to stop them from barking
    aggressive barking and growling

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

As an engineer and tech nerd who loves all things electronic I uh, don't generally recommend anything beyond collars with lights on 'em when it comes to dogs, and maybe the GPS tags if you want to get fancy

The only ones I *think* might be okay are the purely vibration types, at an extremely low setting, but any of those anti-barking aids are generally made to startle your dog and it can have a drastic effect on especially nervous dogs. You'll want to test it on the lightest possible setting to make sure it isn't going to lose its mind if you do end up wanting to give it a shot

We're working with one client right now who tried the type that make a noise when the dog barks at a dog-only pitch in an attempt to stop them barking at the door, but now the dog is absolutely terrified of the doorway and won't go near it. I wouldn't use 'em on my dogs, personally.

I was kind of afraid they would wind up doing something like that. Guess I'll talk to my vet, see what he recommends.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    There used to be an anti-bark collar line that would spray out a puff of citronella when your dog barked past a certain amount (apparently dogs hate citronella). That seems reasonably not bad?

Tough spot though, that's a hard behavior to train.

In other news, we encountered the second ever person who Kubo has barked at and run away from today (a guy doing some renovations on our house). Both times he's done this it was a middle aged white guy with very short hair and no facial hair, which made me realize literally everyone other man he's met has had facial hair. Socializing puppies during a pandemic sucks y'all.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    There used to be an anti-bark collar line that would spray out a puff of citronella when your dog barked past a certain amount (apparently dogs hate citronella). That seems reasonably not bad?

In other news, we encountered the second ever person who Kubo has barked at and run away from today (a guy doing some renovations on our house). Both times he's done this it was a middle aged white guy with very short hair and no facial hair, which made me realize literally everyone other man he's met has had facial hair. Socializing puppies during a pandemic sucks y'all.

We've definitely been anticipating a pile of anxiety-based socialization cases in the fall/winter, yeah

I wish the outdoor farmers' markets were allowing dogs right now, they're such excellent socialization spots!

Steam
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    The running
    igkt70xgyyjx.jpg
    leads to the napping
    g45qf114g46i.jpg
    at least until something more exciting is going on
    5dvzjpiqmr5w.jpg
    pmt60xjzxzfw.jpg
    The hounds know who gives the good skritches.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    yeah there's an association issue with bark collars because among things, they might not necessarily realise it's the bark that's triggering the bad experience. It sounds like he's barking as a warning or out of exuberance rather than as an attention seeking device, so things might level off as he realises that you don't need to be warned about every single bird or neighbour.

(I don't have a lot of good advice on this one, we discourage attention and excitement barking when we puppy train, and our dogs tend not to be very territorial.
    Though while Uschi will never initiate a bark battle, he absolutely believes he needs to be the one to finish it, by barking louder and deeper than his competitor until they give up. He once barked himself hoarse during an overly long engagement with a german shepherd.)

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I just barked at my dogs to stop them from barking
    aggressive barking and growling

Dunno if you were kidding or not, but the problem with reacting loudly to barking is that it can accidentally give the incorrect feedback that the dog was correct to get excited because their owners got excited too.

No, I'm not aware of how to give the correct feedback, my dogs barked inappropriately for their entire lives. Thankfully, they had a house and yard of their own, so we didn't get trouble for it (I'm sure the neighbors were very annoyed at times though). Now that I'm in a different living situation, one of the main reasons I haven't tried for a new dog is being unsure how I would fix that issue if it occurred with a new dog, here.

• Options
    I don't know how to describe I know what barks are for what
    The Stay way to the happy to I am here fear me

I bark at the dogs that bark at me when I walk home most are yay

• Options

We've definitely been anticipating a pile of anxiety-based socialization cases in the fall/winter, yeah

I wish the outdoor farmers' markets were allowing dogs right now, they're such excellent socialization spots!

In the short term do you have any offhand advice for things to try and get him less concerned about new variants of person? He was calm when I held him and had Chris (the guy in question) pet him, he didn't squirm or whine or anything, but as soon as I put him down he put about 10 feet between himself and Chris and then lay down.

I was thinking having Chris hold some treats and then feed him while I tried to coax him over with the fetch ball (his absolute favorite thing in the universe), is that like...a reasonable thing to try? To at least get him to realize "hey someone who likes like this probably doesn't mean me harm?"

(for context, Chris is a contractor but also an old family friend [because we've hired him for stuff forever] and he loves dogs so I'm not just trying to get some rando to help with this, heh).

Also while I'm firing questions at you and please feel free to not answer any of these, but yesterday we went to have socially distanced BBQ at my sister's place and her dog (~45 lb mutt of various things) attacked Kubo pretty savagely twice (the second time he got out of dog jail by following someone exiting the house without us noticing, we had separated them after the first time). They'd been like, best buds at my parents' place at a similar event several weeks previous so it must have just been a "his home" thing. Kubo isn't hurt at all but he was shaken, especially after the second time, are there any behaviors we should be paying attention to long term to make sure this doesn't cause ongoing fear towards either other dogs or anxiety in general? Up until now he's been pretty unflappable, a pre-existing fear of trucks and his thing about specific types of guy have been it, so I'm keen to try and keep him in that relatively calm headspace.

• Options
    edited September 2020

In the short term do you have any offhand advice for things to try and get him less concerned about new variants of person? He was calm when I held him and had Chris (the guy in question) pet him, he didn't squirm or whine or anything, but as soon as I put him down he put about 10 feet between himself and Chris and then lay down.

I was thinking having Chris hold some treats and then feed him while I tried to coax him over with the fetch ball (his absolute favorite thing in the universe), is that like...a reasonable thing to try? To at least get him to realize "hey someone who likes like this probably doesn't mean me harm?"

(for context, Chris is a contractor but also an old family friend [because we've hired him for stuff forever] and he loves dogs so I'm not just trying to get some rando to help with this, heh).

Also while I'm firing questions at you and please feel free to not answer any of these, but yesterday we went to have socially distanced BBQ at my sister's place and her dog (~45 lb mutt of various things) attacked Kubo pretty savagely twice (the second time he got out of dog jail by following someone exiting the house without us noticing, we had separated them after the first time). They'd been like, best buds at my parents' place at a similar event several weeks previous so it must have just been a "his home" thing. Kubo isn't hurt at all but he was shaken, especially after the second time, are there any behaviors we should be paying attention to long term to make sure this doesn't cause ongoing fear towards either other dogs or anxiety in general? Up until now he's been pretty unflappable, a pre-existing fear of trucks and his thing about specific types of guy have been it, so I'm keen to try and keep him in that relatively calm headspace.

No problem! I'm always happy to talk about dog stuff, and if there's something I don't know I'm also happy to ask my Dad when he's awake and not snoring loudly down the hall like right now, ahaha.

So to the first: that's an excellent idea! The basic procedure for essentially *any* dog behavioural issue is to set up the problem event, and then try to correct for it from there. In this case, you know you want to teach the dog to not be anxious around different types of people, so having this friend give him a treat is basically, at its core, how we handle waaay more anxious or dominant dogs. If your dog is nervous, have Chris throw the treats (preferably small ones they don't have to chew) and then drop them closer and closer. Make sure he doesn't look the dog in the eyes unless they're feeling brave, as dogs consider eye contact to be a challenge or an invitation. Ideally, you'll want your dog taking treats out of his hand, and at that point it's probably safe to play - don't worry if it takes another session or two before he feels comfortable enough to do so, though, it may take some repetition!

One thing we'll do is post up near a busy store like a Walmart, where there's a lot of action, cars, etc. Put your dog in a sit, and when he sees a person, give him a treat. If you're comfortable you can also have strangers do that too, or even throw them to him as they pass (though in a pandemic, you know, fair to have caution on this). Basically you want to encourage a bit of an endorphin rush to make the experience a good thing, rather than a bad one! (Later you can sub in praise for the treats.)

To the second that was definitely a sign of the other dog being territorial, and I'm sorry that happened! They might have needed to meet on neutral territory a few more times before trying to broach that boundary, but there's more duty to work on that on your friend's side of things. The best thing you could do is continue to try to socialize your dog with other dogs however you can with covid restrictions - if you're really cautious, you can go to a path you know a lot of dogs tend to walk near you and do a similar exercise to the socialization one (when your dog sees a dog, give them a treat). If you know anyone with dogs that are more reliable, you can try introducing them on neutral ground e.g. a park, a walk, etc. The best case would be similar to how we're handling group classes, if you can find one near you that's doing masked classes outdoors, but I'm not sure how many other folks are doing the same thing. Mostly you just, as before, want to set up the problem and then try to reinforce it with rewards and nice things, so your dog associates it with better memories, if that makes sense!

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    My in laws watched my labby while I was in California (5 weeks)

He gained like 20 lbs

My mother in law thinks we don’t feed him enough cause he’s “always hungry” (again, lab) so wanted to make a point while she was watching him to feed him every time he seemed hungry (yo, still a lab)

Gonna have to train him to use a treadmill now I guess

(That’s him as a pup in my av!)

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

He gained like 20 lbs

My mother in law thinks we don’t feed him enough cause he’s “always hungry” (again, lab) so wanted to make a point while she was watching him to feed him every time he seemed hungry (yo, still a lab)

but in the meantime hay extra pillow

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

He gained like 20 lbs

I take it your mother in law has never met a labrador before

• Options
    My aunt exclusively gets black labs and then does a combo of drastically overwalking AND overfeeding them

They end up as basically little round happy pigs

Steam
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

He gained like 20 lbs

...She's... shes met dogs before right?

I have never known a dog to turn meals away. No matter the need.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    My dog growing up would just eat when she was hungry, going back to the bowl every couple hours but never typically finishing a meal in one go

• Options
    Reo self regulates his kibble oddly well, he eats like just enough and then wanders away.

Human food though forget about it.