As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Club Hats

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Club Hats

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    beeftruckbeeftruck Registered User regular
    plump quiver

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Did they forget that they used to play golf fairly often? Granted, Gabe seemed more interested in enslaving his own caddy...

215504410_6the5-L-2.jpg
    215504531_Nkd9p-L-2.jpg
    215504773_FKjHw-L-2.jpg
    215527210_9AxdH-L-2.jpg

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Somebody tell Tycho about cricket

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Cricket? You gotta know what a crumpet is before you understand cricket.

• Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    Three good Tycho faces in this one.
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Cricket? You gotta know what a crumpet is before you understand cricket.

And don't get him started on the José Canseco bat.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    T-Danger wrote: »
    Did they forget that they used to play golf fairly often? Granted, Gabe seemed more interested in enslaving his own caddy...

If you're going to be all continuity, that Tycho and Gabe have probably died, as have their successors.

At least, I think... They really don't die nearly as often as in the old days.

dennis on
  • Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    I'm still eagerly waiting for part three of Bogey Golf.

• Options
    The Ninth GuardianThe Ninth Guardian Registered User regular
    As a fellow lexiconnoisseur, I too mostly like to learn things for the vocabulary.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I hate it when you're scratching a hard-to-reach itch and a club starts poking out of your sheath

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    T-Danger wrote: »

If you're going to be all continuity, that Tycho and Gabe have probably died, as have their successors.

At least, I think... They really don't die nearly as often as in the old days.

Tycho was pretty drunk, he probably blacked out and forgot.

Or time has no meaning and this strip could be set before Gabe even got changed in that series.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    KitsunekunKitsunekun Registered User new member
    I though the exocic names in golf came from the scoring. You know like Eagles, and Birdies, and Bogies, and taking a mulligan.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Don't get me started on words for scoring. Tennis gets me all riled up. I've ranted at my friend who is a tennis coach about it before, and he could offer no real defense.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kitsunekun wrote: »
    I though the exocic names in golf came from the scoring. You know like Eagles, and Birdies, and Bogies, and taking a mulligan.

As Jerry notes in his post.

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    Don't get me started on words for scoring. Tennis gets me all riled up. I've ranted at my friend who is a tennis coach about it before, and he could offer no real defense.

What's wrong with the words for scoring in tennis? The word love?
    The Oxford English Dictionary suggests that the term might be rooted in the colloquial phrase “for love,” meaning “without stakes being wagered.” This theory reflects the sport’s long history of etiquette and sportsmanship. Others theorize that love arose from the French word for “egg,” l’oeuf, because a zero on a scoreboard resembles an egg. This is a clever claim, but it remains unsubstantiated.

• Options
    Showsni wrote: »

The Oxford English Dictionary suggests that the term might be rooted in the colloquial phrase “for love,” meaning “without stakes being wagered.” This theory reflects the sport’s long history of etiquette and sportsmanship. Others theorize that love arose from the French word for “egg,” l’oeuf, because a zero on a scoreboard resembles an egg. This is a clever claim, but it remains unsubstantiated.

Love, deuce, advantage/ad (though at least that one makes intuitive sense). I even got curious and checked wikipedia as to why those terms, and there's a lot of "the origins are believed to be" and "another theory is" and "the most likely explanation is" and "is also disputed." They don't even know why they use those crazy terms.

Though some of that is also talking about the actual scoring system (love, 15, 30, 40), which is also banana bread.

• Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    Anything not in an arithmetic sequence drives me mad (i.e. Tennis should be 15, 30, 45; or even just 1, 2, 3). Even worse is the parable of the sower (see Matt 13:8) which goes 100, 60, 30, so it’s also in descending order for some reason

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    smashing balls over a net with some kind of utensil is very old, it's been a sport played by the elites for ages before we've come to know it as tennis. A lot of the weird terms can be explained away by the fact that some British bloke learned it from a French guy and subsequently forgot how to pronounce half the terms used. Kinda like me and learning French in high school. I'm sure I forgot more words than I memorized over the course of 4 years of French.

Anyway, the scoring as 4 quarters of 60 used to be the French scoring (and was used in other sports as well), but apparently the English elites shortened it to more easily pronounced fifteen, thirty, forty, game. It is kind of a testament to the popularity of the game: they just wanted to holler the score across the court and get back to slamming that ball back and forth.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Showsni wrote: »

Love, deuce, advantage/ad (though at least that one makes intuitive sense). I even got curious and checked wikipedia as to why those terms, and there's a lot of "the origins are believed to be" and "another theory is" and "the most likely explanation is" and "is also disputed." They don't even know why they use those crazy terms.

Though some of that is also talking about the actual scoring system (love, 15, 30, 40), which is also banana bread.

Yeah, it's actually the numbers that bother me since they're always in sequence and always the same numbers. It's not possible to combine different score types like in football or basketball. It should just be 1,2,3

steam_sig.png