As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[New World] Where we ask the REAL questions! Like, "What is Launch?"

AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur.Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
edited November 2021 in MMO Extravaganza
riczlqw.jpg

You like it or you don't.

Maybe check back in half a year?

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
Axen on

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    It's been a while since a new MMO's been around the corner. I'll probably check this out!

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I was in the closed beta very early for this. I hated it and uninstalled it. But that was a long time ago and I'll be curious to see how it developed.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Yeah from what I've heard the Devs took that first early beta seriously. They've redesigned numerous things since then. In fact they had more or less stopped what they were doing and took a trip to visit several other game studios who had made MMOs to pick their brains.

Exploration is an important part of the game. There are a bunch of 'Points of Interest' around the island. Ranging from ancient ruins to old forts to magical anomalies. There are numerous mysteries surrounding Aeternum and it is at these points that players can piece together the history. Though the Devs are quick to say that they won't provide clear-cut answers, they'll provide just enough so players can make their own theories. They want players discussing and debating the Lore. If material rewards are more your thing, well you'll get that too.

You can play solo and the game will provide you with matchmaking and raid finders for when you decide you need a group to clear a dungeon or a boss fight or what-have-you.

Players can post jobs/quests for other players to complete.

While PvP is opt-in, if you attack and kill another flagged player unprovoked you can get a bounty placed on your head. This bounty can be collected by players. The Bounty Hunter skill chain will help them track you down.

The Treasure Hunter skill chain allows you to. . . well, hunt treasure. Treasure chests are randomly generated and hidden throughout the world so you'll never run out of things to find. A high skill allows you to track down fancier treasure chest in more dangerous areas. These chests will generally (but perhaps not always) be worth the trouble.

As to the trade skills themselves; here is a list.
    Crafting:

Blacksmithing
    Engineering
    Outfitting
    Provisioning
    Alchemy

Gathering & Refining:

Logging & Carpentry
    Mining, Masonry & Smelting
    Harvesting & Weaving
    Tracking, Skinning & Tanning

Personal Skills:

Building
    Fishing
    Wilderness Survival
    Bounty Hunting
    Treasure Hunting
    Repairing

As to weapon types I'm not sure on all of them yet, but those I know of are:
    1h swords
    1h maces/hammers
    1h axes
    2h swords
    2h maces/hammers
    2h axes
    Muskets
    Pistols
    Bows
    Spears
    Shields
    Magic

Each weapon type has its own skill tree and in some cases they may have more than one skill tree for you to pick from. You also have a couple weapon quickslots so you can quickly switch between a few different weapons depending on the situation.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I don't know anything at all about the gameplay for this game, and in fact the first I had heard of it was at the trailer during the Game Awards the other night. So I guess their trailer served its purpose of raising public awareness, cause there's at least 1 more person who previously had not heard of it and now they do.

And anyway, the art style is super neat and that really evil bear stole my heart and I want to be in that world. From an art perspective they've got my attention.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I heard negatives from a beta of some sort, too, but I'm 100% excited to see a new attempt at an MMO launch. After years of mediocre cash grabs and low to mid-end asian imports, maybe we'll take a big swing at an AAA MMO this year. May 2020 is way earlier than I expected to see this, though. Not sure if that's good or bad.

It was supposed to release earlier than 2020, but they took alpha testers complaints to heart and decided to redesign and change things.

For example;

A lot of people weren't big fans of how much animation locking there was in combat. So they've gotten rid of that and made things smoother.

While people thought the graphics were rather nice they also thought the art style was rather drab. So they've splashed color around and just had fun with armor/weapon/enemy/world designs.

Originally the game was going to be a more hardcore open-world PvP sandbox. However they realized that that is a rather niche market (one I am personally a fan of though). So now, while there is still PvP and sieges are a big part of the game, they also have quests, dungeons, story and other structured PvE content for people who enjoy those sorts of things.

The game had founder packs available back in 2018 when the game was originally going to be F2P. Amazon has said that they will honor these Founder packs. Which I mean, that's cool of them but also the thing that they should be doing anyway.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    So. This thing is actually coming out, right? We've had so many MMOs just... not release. Crowfall, Camelot Unchained etc.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Arthil wrote: »
    So. This thing is actually coming out, right? We've had so many MMOs just... not release. Crowfall, Camelot Unchained etc.

With the amount of rework they are doing... probably not.

This was supposed to be a full-loot gankbox. Its a total 180 if they are doing real PvE content now and that will either be time consuming to create a sufficient amount, or else quickly consumed. (or both)

rahkeesh2000 on
  • asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    i'm going to tentatively hope that this is the kind of game Atlas could have been

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Has Amazon’s dev team ever like, released a game? It feels like every 3-4 years they make some noise about entering game development, release a trailer, and then...nothing.

Like, maybe they’ve out out some smaller mobile products, but I’m talking “AAA” products they clearly were aspiring towards.

YL9WnCY.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Has Amazon’s dev team ever like, released a game? It feels like every 3-4 years they make some noise about entering game development, release a trailer, and then...nothing.

Like, maybe they’ve out out some smaller mobile products, but I’m talking “AAA” products they clearly were aspiring towards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grand_Tour_Game

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm glad they dumped the earlier concept of being vaguely Spanish colonists conquering zombie-native indigenously occupied America. For the wisdom of that choice alone I'll take a crack at this.

What is this I don't even.
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    The game had founder packs available back in 2018 when the game was originally going to be F2P. Amazon has said that they will honor these Founder packs. Which I mean, that's cool of them but also the thing that they should be doing anyway.

I don't know if they had Founder's Packs, but it was "for sale" on Amazon for $0.00 when it was announced. For some reason, I decided to actually buy it for free. Maybe just as a weird "Remind me in 14 years when this is a thing"?

Anyway, I got this email in December:

x2cyM11.png

So I guess it would be a real waste of my pre-order dollars to not give this a try whenever it's actually a thing.

And the beta invite appeared in my email a few hours ago. I'll let you know how it goes.

So. I give this 3 out of 10 "meh's". I really want to like it though, because the world is actually really beautiful. And it's hard to express this in words, but the scale of the world feels amazing. Often times in these games, the proportions of the world feel really off. Forests don't feel like forests. Houses can feel like they were build for people 12 feet tall. Stuff doesn't feel naturally spaced. But the world in New World feels amazing. The tall grasses, bushes, and trees makes it feel like you're really stomping through a forest. The lighting feels great as you come in and out of dense foliage. The scale on the buildings, roads, etc all seem like they were actually built for the people in the game.

The harvesting is neat, and the nodes seem to blend in really well with the environment (but there's HUD call outs when you get close).

But that's all the good things I can say.

Combat is bad. Not only is it pretty boring, but the skills don't really seem to add much, and it's just not smooth at all. Hits don't always connect, blocking can be a little finicky, and the movement can be really herky-jerky. Nothing really flows, which is pretty disappointing. We'll see how much changes in 3 months, there's always chatter that we're playing an older build on the test.

Crafting is ok. Nothing special.

Character building doesn't seem like anything special either. You level up by getting experience like any MMO, and when you level up you get to put a point in 1 of 4 stats. Your weapon skills level up by using them, and then you put a point into different skill trees. But right now, combat is so disappointing, none of these skills or weapons get me excited.

And I guess the end game is supposed to revolve around more PvP stuff, as based on the chatter on the global channels, there's nothing to do at max level, PvE or PvP-wise. So we'll just have to wait and see what they add.

I want to like this, as the environments and feel of the world is really cool. But even for free, I can't see myself getting engrossed in this game.

Right now it strikes me as a game that probably needs to be "live" for 6 months to a year for Amazon to figure out. Unless there's some dramatic changes in the next three months with combat and PvE content, I'll probably come back to this in 2021 to see where it landed, versus playing at launch, getting burned, and then not having the will to comeback to it when patches and updates have "made it good". I've done that with a few games, and I'm tired of sitting through the worst of what's essentially a year of "early access" only to loathe a game that actually ends up being pretty fun after another year or two of incubating.

Combat's bad, huh? That's disappointing, given that it's kind of an important part of PvP.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I'm glad they dumped the earlier concept of being vaguely Spanish colonists conquering zombie-native indigenously occupied America. For the wisdom of that choice alone I'll take a crack at this.

Yeah, that kind of implication is still there, unfortunately. They introduced 4 different enemy types: the Corrupted, colonizers turned bad; the Lost, soulless immortal ghoul-kinds of people; the Angry Earth, which is nature fighting back; and the Ancients, the original people who left ruins around and are skeletons. So, other than the Corrupted who are more recent transplants, you have 3 kinds of hostile, mindless groups who were there before you and only serve as an obstacle to your need for things.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Right now it strikes me as a game that probably needs to be "live" for 6 months to a year for Amazon to figure out. Unless there's some dramatic changes in the next three months with combat and PvE content, I'll probably come back to this in 2021 to see where it landed, versus playing at launch, getting burned, and then not having the will to comeback to it when patches and updates have "made it good". I've done that with a few games, and I'm tired of sitting through the worst of what's essentially a year of "early access" only to loathe a game that actually ends up being pretty fun after another year or two of incubating.
    Maybe confirmation bias, but this is about what I'm expecting.

The problem is that Amazon already has another Big Name MMO title under development so if this one isn't an instant smash hit, they could just put it on life support and move development to that other team. It may not get that 6 months to a year to grow up.

26904.png
    Closed beta starts in July, release date has been moved back to August 25th, 2020. Link here.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Ooof, just got an email from Amazon that this release is now bumped to "Spring 2021."

*sigh*

I don't think we'll ever see a AAA MMORPG again.

edited July 2020
    It needed to be bumped. It just wasn't ready, and I think they realized their vision for some magnificent open-world PvP fest was inherently flawed. In a sense, it sounds like they need to go back to the drawing board on a lot of stuff because shockingly PvP isn't enough to carry a major MMORPG.

ironzerg on
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Ooof, just got an email from Amazon that this release is now bumped to "Spring 2021."

*sigh*

Hey there's still that new LotR MMO coming up. Maybe fourth time is the charm for Amazon!

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    New World was never an MMORPG anyway. It's being shown off as Ark++. I'm honestly looking forward to playing but smacking trees with a rock and managing stacks of 9 materials so I can craft a boiled egg can go the fuck away anytime now.

*sigh*

Hey there's still that new LotR MMO coming up. Maybe fourth time is the charm for Amazon!

Eh? I still have the urge to play LOTRO now and then. What new LotR MMO?

https://www.amazongames.com/en-au/news/articles/amazon-games-to-co-develop-game-lotr

From about a decade ago (last July). No recent news has been released other than speculation based on absolutely nothing.

26904.png
    Ah, ten year old news with no updates is nothing.

edited August 2020
    Are you sure you're reading that date right? July 10th 2019? Or did I have some serious fuck up with a pizza delivery, a secret government experiment, and cryogenic freezing?

EDIT: Oh...hahaha...yeah. Last decade! That's the JOKE!

ironzerg on
    I do not understand jokes, nor do I click links.

• El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    I received a key in my email for the preview event starting August 25th. Is anyone else going to be trying it out?

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
    I was invited to the "density test" a few weeks ago, but was on a long weekend holiday in the "mountains". I think the amazon algorithm decided I'm no longer worthy since I have yet to be invited to this upcoming preview.

26904.png
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Nah, if you were a beta sign up that got into the density test you should get an invite to the current one. But those are going out in waves with the last one getting in on the 29th.

Pre-orders have guaranteed access starting today, it's just the beta signups they're spacing out.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Jesus, those servers don't seem like they're breaking much of a sweat. I mean I don't think there are too many people on, but I didn't see any stuttering or lag whatsoever. FPS is a bit donkey with so many people in one spot at once but that's too be expected.

I will say - this thing needs controller support. If it's not already in and I'm missing it.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • triathtriath Registered User regular
    I really don't know too much about this game but saw the preview event email and decided to give it a shot. It's not as bad as I thought it would be and I kinda dig the combat. At the very least it will amuse me for a few more days and cause me to research more about what the game is supposed to end up being.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I'm going to call this "kinda-sorta decent at best", if you have a tolerance for what it tries to do.

However, the game seems to front-load PVE gameplay and then gradually sneak more and more PVP into it while scaling down the PVE.

At a point you need to choose one of three "factions" that feel really artificially shoehorned in there purely for the sake of faction PVP, and then guilds are locked to one faction. No second thoughts, no switching faction other than rerolling a new character, so better hope you and your buddies have that coordinated.

That whole thing sours me something fierce. In addition to feeling like MMO design that's a decade out of date.

• triathtriath Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I have a little bit of hope since it still has quite some time until launch. I like what's there it just needs to be tinkered with and made into a more cohesive package. I definitely agree with the factions kind of just being there for the sake of being there. But from not knowing anything about this and going in blind I'm intrigued to see what they add and change.

I don't really know what modern MMO design is supposed to feel like since everything I've tried in the last ten years all felt the same but I'm going to keep an eye on this.

triath on
    Echo wrote: »
    That whole thing sours me something fierce. In addition to feeling like MMO design that's a decade out of date.

That was my feedback officially during the first test. If your game doesn't naturally generate the desire to PvP without bolting on all kinds of crazy restrictions, then is it really going to flourish if PvP is the main thing?

To me, if the end game is PvP, it's DoA.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I am very interested in this game, so I'm glad to see this bumped. The recent posts remind me of arguments / stuff I've learned about MMOs and their players since Ultima Online, though.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I think the game puts up a good face at the very beginning but quickly shows how thin it is. The combat system is "fun enough" but needs to be drastically rebalanced. Magic staves somehow feel like complete garbage to use. There's some interesting skills in there but they're almost entirely geared towards large scale PVP so trying to use them in PVE (which, on its face, feels like a significant chunk of the game) just feels bad. Small scale PVP is also really rough with builds that can just stunlock another player. It's not fun. The weapon skill system is pretty shallow and despite the clear emphasis on having a good loadout of 3 weapons it's super clunky. If you use a skill on one weapon the cooldown remains on that slot when you swap and they're lengthy so you're just locked out, so why bother switching?

I'm glad they delayed the game to add more content but I really hope they use this time to change everything else a bit. I don't think the game overall is terrible but it's still a far cry from "good". It's like they wanted large scale PVP and then at the last moment were like "oh wait, what will people when they're NOT doing this? Lets slap some other stuff in here." The quest design is the worst I've seen in years.The skill system is at odds with itself. Crafting is actually pretty good! I like the reputation system letting you build up in zones.

Mostly the game is just super all over the place and for every time I say "hey that's neat" there's a "wow, who thought that was a good idea?"

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I feel that Elder Scrolls Online does the gameplay they seem to be aiming for way better.

They hit a real problem earlier in the year, and with their last tests. It went from the latest and greatest MMO to a fully-PvP MMO. Then they found out that PvP generally sucks in an MMO, and no one wants to do it.

So they started trying to sort of "build the plane as it was flying". Then probably realized things needed a big overhaul, and now this "relaunch" of the beta test...which sounds like things still aren't very good. I've downloaded it, but haven't logged in.

I'm shocked that someone with as deep of pockets as Amazon continues to be such an amateur when it comes to developing video games. Maybe there really is a point where piles of money can't actually supplant talent and good ideas? Shocking, eh?

edited August 2020
    ED! wrote: »
    Jesus, those servers don't seem like they're breaking much of a sweat. I mean I don't think there are too many people on, but I didn't see any stuttering or lag whatsoever. FPS is a bit donkey with so many people in one spot at once but that's too be expected.

I will say - this thing needs controller support. If it's not already in and I'm missing it.

If nothing else, the one thing that should be amazingly solid about this game is the servers. Half the reason this game exists is to sell companies on Amazon's fancy-pants servers (and they are fancy).

Otherwise I am getting the impression that no one on the Dev team is particularly confident in what they are doing. They seem in need of a strong director. Right now they have $Infinite budget and very little oversight, but without someone with a vision at the helm it is a waste.

Axen on