As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I've never really sat down and looked at any of the control details of the game and yesterday I found out that there is a fucking melee button.

Why the fuck is there even a "holster weapon" option as a primary weapon selection option? Why would I ever WANT to holster weapons to start punching people when there is just a straight "punch people" option?

At least now I know why I always lose punch fights from fumbling with the fucking "holster weapons" stupidity.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I've never really sat down and looked at any of the control details of the game and yesterday I found out that there is a fucking melee button.

Why the fuck is there even a "holster weapon" option as a primary weapon selection option? Why would I ever WANT to holster weapons to start punching people when there is just a straight "punch people" option?

At least now I know why I always lose punch fights from fumbling with the fucking "holster weapons" stupidity.

Because if you holster your weapon you move slightly faster. You don't to be running around the whole match with your weapon out.

DarkPrimus on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Also, punches sends people flying so you can punch them off ledges, into lava, off the train (rip) and off buildings

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Because if you holster your weapon you move slightly faster. You don't to be running around the whole match with your weapon out.

for scenarios where holstering weapon is useful: when it's not a hot drop so you can loot faster, when the ring is on your tail so you don't take as much damage, when you are trying to escape a fight while people are shooting at you but not in close range etc.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm mostly just bitter that this whole time that there is a straight-up melee button that would've saved me a zillion times if I'd bothered to look at the controls.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    The “slightly faster run speed” also happens to be the difference between staying just ahead of the ring on a perfectly perpendicular path, and getting caught in the ring.

As long as you don’t have to go left, right, or climb, holstered running directly towards the center should always keep you out of the ring.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    A pair of short clips from the past couple days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmO7Vi1VPKQ

The above amused me for two reasons: first, my right stick has terrible drift issues and my god does that become apparent when attempting to throw an Arc Star; however, fucking up my Arc Star is what enabled the "slide into Tiger Uppercut", and having that be the team-eliminating knockdown caused me to cackle with glee.

And the following was a very satisfying conclusion to a weird match. While no comms are present, understand that my teammates were excitedly speaking in different languages the entire match, and early on one of them disconnected in a fit after I was boxed during an early engagement in Fragment West. But the other player kindly pushed that person into safe space, respawned me, and eventually Tanjiro returned and apologized. From there we pushed on through a couple more teams in Fragment East, with the Rampart doing great work of with Amp Wall placement, and eventually came to this final encounter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T87aIxgRs3k

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    there's a melee button because Apex Legends lets you flying jump kick.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Sometimes you've just got to wait it out. The night started bad, stayed bad for a while, then I had a sightly better game, then I got an early Mastiff and went off to the tune of 11 kills (which is a career high) but a teammate couldn't keep up and we got sandwiched and wiped. Then finally, finally, we got a decent teammate and scratched out a quality win and that felt great.

Apex is good.

edited August 2020
    I know its pretty early on, but so far I'm not really liking the change to overall shield health, especially when combo'd with the Volt and Devotion as the currently are.

Its just like 18 months of muscle memory of how squishy I am, and its hard to not feel like I'm getting cheated out of fights I should have been able to live through.

At the very least with this new shield setup, go back to 6/3 stacks for health and shield pickups.

Edit: Apparently the Devo ate a small damage nerf today and will more rare on the map. Good.

ronzo on
    I just don't get how we're on Season 6 and people still treat the game like finding loot and suicidal rushes win everything.

If there are two squad so far off they can't see us and our squad is spread across two buildings and multiple floors, DON'T FUCKING TAKE POTSHOTS TELLING THE WHOLE FUCKING MAP WHERE WE ARE. Having a third squad crawl up our ass and kill us all because you just HAD to pop off some Wingman shots and hit fucking nothing is a really stupid way to lose. Further, don't fucking run two hundred meters away from the squad to rush to loot the next area, and DEFINITELY don't get up there to loot and IMMEDIATELY start shooting at anybody that is there. You are alone and a fucking idiot who is now getting your squad killed trying to scramble to save your ass.

Seriously, I must've had a good 6-8 straight games tonight where there was ALWAYS a lead jackass who would run waaaaay out in front to loot, see one enemy, immediately open fire, and die just in time for the two not-moron teammates to get there to help (but actually die). Loot is fucking useless if you're DEAD.

The only win of the night was after an asshole solo dropped, died in the first thirty seconds, disconnected, and then my Mirage and a Wraith pulled out a win just by not being fucking stupid. It's not that hard to not play extremely stupid.

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    Two wins last night playing with Satsumoto and I think Angry Walrus for the early one. Apex is good, get on discord.

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2020
    playing casual duos with a bud and doing pretty well one game where we're doing well with loot and cleaning up teams we're running into, but disaster strikes at Sorting Factory when a team manages to get an angle on us after we've jumped down to the river area beneath. I go down and bleed out while my friend cleans them up

He has to run all the way over to Lava Dome inside the ring to print off a mobile respawn beacon with the team count dropping to 3 while he's doing this. After he hears rumbling explosions in the distance at launch site he drops the beacon and respawns me, and i drop in, only getting to grab white armor, a mozambique, and the alternator he's dropped me off the scant few chests nearby. We run towards the explosions and see the other 2 teams duking it out at launch site, and 1 team eventually goes down while he's harassing the fight and i'm just kind of waiting because i have an alternator with a 1x hcog. The final team runs out - it's a Bangalore, as evidenced by the walls of smoke, and a Caustic. we're on the edge of ring at the small lava dome off to the side of main Lava Dome and harassing them as they try to come in towards us. For whatever reason the Caustic splits really wide to try and crossfire us while we're harassing the Bangalore, my friend dukes it out with him and they get each other low. I figure fuck it, i'm not getting any real damage on the Bangalore with my loadout and rocket over with the grapple just in time to slide onto the Caustic's side of the lava dome and take him out with the alternator as he's trying to heal off the fight. I rush to thirst him and loot all his armor just as ring finishes closing in and then grab his mastiff and go. After we trade a few more bullets with the Bangalore, we heal up just in time to see that she's shifted off to a lone rock outside the lava dome to throw her ult at us. My friend splits left and trades bullets with her as I literally just charge in straight past her thrown ult and come around the rock to the Bangalore taking cover after the trade and Mastiff her in the face for 105 to take the win.

Apex: good

Orphane on
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Now that the constant crashing I was getting has been patched out, I have managed to participate in Season 6.

4 games, 2 top 5s, and a KD of 2. And that's with the first game being one where we were instantly knocked out.

Also I love being Lifeline, rezzing someone, dropping a heal drone, and then just vomiting up an assortment of shield cells and medkits.

Bloodhound feels pretty great this season, I'm way into the beacon change.

Peen wrote: »

Yeah, he's been my main to start the season. It gets frustrating how often his Tactical simply won't reveal people directly in front me (which I assume is a matter of current server woes), but I now feel very uncomfortable with so much reduced knowledge when playing anyone else (well, Crypto too).

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

Yeah, he's been my main to start the season. It gets frustrating how often his Tactical simply won't reveal people directly in front me (which I assume is a matter of current server woes), but I now feel very uncomfortable with so much reduced knowledge when playing anyone else (well, Crypto too).

When we played the other night, it was a tough shift from running Crypto to swapping to Octane and feeling a little directionless.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Hey rando squad members, STAY THE FUCK WITH THE SQUAD. Jesus.

BlazeFire wrote: »
    Hey rando squad members, STAY THE FUCK WITH THE SQUAD. Jesus.

Got it, solo hotdrop as wraith, run 200m+ ahead of the team, ping nothing, dashboard the moment I can't shoot my gun anymore.

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Got maybe a dozen hours into S6 so far, the lower time to kill is a problem that extends far beyond the -25 shields.

Damage to level evo shields has increased, making it harder to get stronger shields.
    Lower shield values mean less damage dealt per fight, compounding the difficulty of evolving your shields.
    Can't confirm this but it definitely feels like blue/purple shield spawns have been reduced, as well as shield cells and batteries.
    Shield swapping is no longer a viable tactic, since you're now spreading damage dealt across a bunch of white evos instead of getting one to purple.

End result is that I'm commonly getting to endgame with blue or even white shields, when previously I would have purple/red. That's 50 or even 75 HP down from previous seasons. If you have white/blue the game gets reduced to "who sees who first," especially with weapons like the buffed triple take.

People reaching the endgame with the shields they have because they've been winning fights is waaaay more satisfying to me than people getting there because they had the luckiest scrounging. It also means smarter plays are more rewarding because you reliably will have an edge on somebody you've outmaneuvered instead of them being able to lean on a pile of lucky gold/purple gear to tank the hits and turn things around. I can drop a grenade on a squad now and it is reliably going to fucking hurt. Plus, popping somebody at range is more than just a slight annoyance to them; it gets you damage to boost your shield, making you ultimately stronger if and when you do close in and fight them up close.

I'm finding in general that I'm winning a lot more fights now because I'm facing off against the players more than their gear. I can reliably gauge what a squad will have depending on the match time, instead of just getting screwed because I shot at somebody five minutes in that has all top gear. And when something rare pops up, it's actually rare instead of a whole squad having it.

mRahmani wrote: »
    Got maybe a dozen hours into S6 so far, the lower time to kill is a problem that extends far beyond the -25 shields.

Damage to level evo shields has increased, making it harder to get stronger shields.
    Lower shield values mean less damage dealt per fight, compounding the difficulty of evolving your shields.
    Can't confirm this but it definitely feels like blue/purple shield spawns have been reduced, as well as shield cells and batteries.
    Shield swapping is no longer a viable tactic, since you're now spreading damage dealt across a bunch of white evos instead of getting one to purple.

End result is that I'm commonly getting to endgame with blue or even white shields, when previously I would have purple/red. That's 50 or even 75 HP down from previous seasons. If you have white/blue the game gets reduced to "who sees who first," especially with weapons like the buffed triple take.

are you collecting crafting mats and getting to replicators? what i see in games is typically if my team isn't finding enemy teams then we kind of shift gears and try to loot as much as possible so we can try to print upgrade armor to at least purple, but if we are getting in fights typically i'm not having an issue grabbing a higher tier armor someone was kind enough to evolve for me post fight or printing in between fights to get that much closer to the next evo

ofc sometimes you just get bad luck but really the only negative experience i've had with the universal evo armor is the evolve armor daily which is a fucking chore and doesn't count printed armors because they're technically spawning as new ones

As someone who loves doing finishers, I'm loving the new armor meta

Also devotion being back is soooo good. Haven't had much time to play lately but wanna so bad.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Yeah I'm also enjoying the new armor changes and even the slightly lower TTK.

It could be that I've really enjoyed the previous events with all EVO armors which required a slightly different playstyle so I adapted, but I have never gotten to mid game with anything less than purple armor, I haven't had any issues finding them as loot on the ground.

Satsumomo on
  • mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I've been using the replicators, it's just irritating and also a beacon to the world where you are. Been killed multiple times already trying to get that last 50 hp to purple.

I'm not an amazing player by any stretch, but I have over 1,000 hours into the game, I have a decent handle on the mechanics. My brothers and I typically run Octane/Wraith/Lifeline (me) and generally just chase fights in pubs. Our favorite drop used to be Mirage, where we could gear up and usually outplay the other 1-2 teams that landed there. But the fun run-and-gun meta has definitely shifted hard toward snipers, with the triple take, hemlock, and G7 being particularly oppressive.

I like the evo shields as a concept, and ran them often in previous seasons, but I'm not a fan of the changes they received this season.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Might just be my luck, but it's rare I'm wearing anything other than blue in prior seasons.

I'm liking the armor changes solely because I have an avenue to work myself through armor levels rather than hoping I pick something from a corpse.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Three wins in a row baybee!

And I was mostly using the Alternator for one of the weekly challenges, maybe I am getting a little better at this after all.
    I like the change to evo shields in theory, but in practice I very rarely actually end up leveling a shield up by damage, though granted I've been playing Loba a lot so it's easier to steal a purple shield from a vault or something.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I've had like 4 mutual kills this season which I never noticed before, I don't know if it's from the health change or just a pattern I'm picking out of normal data but it feels weird. We just keep killing each other at the same time.

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    I've had like 4 mutual kills this season which I never noticed before, I don't know if it's from the health change or just a pattern I'm picking out of normal data but it feels weird. We just keep killing each other at the same time.

Same. Never noticed it, but it's happened multiple times this season.

I've had that happened a bunch too, and I assume it just has to do with either connection problems on my end, Apex's historically janky networking, or some change in the netcode that facilitates such interactions. In the clip I posted above, you can see I unload a spitfire into an opponent and then get knocked via punch, moments later my damage registers and knocks the person that punched me.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Apparently King's Canyon is back on rotation, with new gold weapons:

Edit: Screens of weapons are old, so no, the Flatline does not have the anvil receiver.

37t9j3dch6j51.png

Satsumomo on
    best map best map best map

Ghandi and I played with the biggest douche in the world last night. This guy was the total package, playing Wraith, running headlong into fights, dying immediately, pinging his banner and the respawn literally non-stop until we brought him back, and punching the Loba shop to break it WHILE I WAS USING IT which I didn't even realize was a thing you could do. I'm not going to put his username in here because that isn't cool but if he's reading this, go fuck yourself forever guy, you are the actual worst player in Apex.

Ghandi and I played with the biggest douche in the world last night. This guy was the total package, playing Wraith, running headlong into fights, dying immediately, pinging his banner and the respawn literally non-stop until we brought him back, and punching the Loba shop to break it WHILE I WAS USING IT which I didn't even realize was a thing you could do. I'm not going to put his username in here because that isn't cool but if he's reading this, go fuck yourself forever guy, you are the actual worst player in Apex.

Probably should have just let him time out tbh

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    He also helped botch the last fight which contributed to our loss.

I also contributed by thirsting too much, but I blame Dick Wraith.

Orphane wrote: »

Using him to chum the water and sniff out fights was working ok for us, Ghandi and I won them all after he died every time but the last time, but it was so very barely worth it.

Using him to chum the water and sniff out fights was working ok for us, Ghandi and I won them all after he died every time but the last time, but it was so very barely worth it.

It's about the principle of the matter really. If some rando is going to be a literal child about revives/respawns when they're the ones who go down first i have no problem letting them bleed out and die as a lesson. Were my chances of winning higher with them alive? Maybe, but nobody has to deal with that shit

It's weird really because you would think as a textbook toxic wraith that person would have left before they even bled out

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Speaking of textbook toxic Wraiths....

The other night I had a match with a sweaty Wraith who started screaming at me for taking "his" sight. He hadn't pinged it and it was just sitting in the bin, but apparently he was assuming I was psychic enough to know that he wanted it and naturally he's more valuable on our team than me, despite me having 3 kills over his 1 at the time.

I let him have the sight because obviously it wasn't worth fighting over, but he still spent the next five minutes screaming at me about how I was trash and he can't ever get any loot because people like me keep stealing it out from under him. The third person tried to calm him down, but it didn't help. I mean, he was pissed. It sounded like he was going to pop a blood vessel in his brain, but maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part. All because I picked up a blue sight. I ended up leaving the game after and taking a break because it stressed me out.

I don't play a lot of competitive games, so I don't know how common this sort of thing really is. Obviously you remember the one horrible experience much more vividly than the thousand normal ones.

Yeah no that's the kind of person you put on mute and pretend they don't exist

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

It's about the principle of the matter really. If some rando is going to be a literal child about revives/respawns when they're the ones who go down first i have no problem letting them bleed out and die as a lesson. Were my chances of winning higher with them alive? Maybe, but nobody has to deal with that shit

It's weird really because you would think as a textbook toxic wraith that person would have left before they even bled out

No, no, no, that's far too adult of you.

What you do is pick up their banner, then mute them across pings/voice/texts. This way they can't quit unless they want a leavers timeout penalty. Which you can assume would be pretty big at this point, seeing as they're quite clearly a rage-baby.

Campy on