As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Adventures in Lordran - or tales of brave Sir Onion

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I mean if we're just gonna post Bloodborne fanart I'll put this forward:
    tumblr_np8oo0tNAQ1r9wm14o1_1280.png
    tumblr_np8oo0tNAQ1r9wm14o2_1280.png
    tumblr_np8oo0tNAQ1r9wm14o3_1280.png
    tumblr_np8oo0tNAQ1r9wm14o4_r1_1280.png
    tumblr_np8oo0tNAQ1r9wm14o5_r1_1280.png
    tumblr_np8oo0tNAQ1r9wm14o6_r2_1280.png
    tumblr_np8oo0tNAQ1r9wm14o7_r2_1280.png

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Dark souls remastered is £13 on the PlayStation store.

This thread has made me very tempted to get it. I think I'll go for a plain warrior as they seem the most study and forgiving for new players.

Is magic as much as faff as it seems?

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Going to try and dark soul a bit this evening. Just need to carve a path through all the boxes and random shit piled on my floor so I can get my PC set up. This threads given me bad fomo

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

This thread has made me very tempted to get it. I think I'll go for a plain warrior as they seem the most study and forgiving for new players.

I bought it yesterday because it was on sale and just now noticed the thread.

Someone preempted my question on what is a good starting build, I started wit warrior in case anyone has other suggestions.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    cB557 wrote: »
    Platy wrote: »
    I forgot that you actually need the Master Key to get to Havel, considering how frequently new players used to talk about getting smashed by him

You do not, one of the directions you can approach him from is unlocked. Can't remember which one but I assume the darkroot side.
    You still need a key for the Darkroot side. I can never remember where you get it.

You can get it pretty quickly and effortlessly if you make a beeline for it but the master key is just such an easy pick I suppose lol

Peas on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    My Neighbor Totoro Amygdala

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular

Warriors are forgiving if you carry the best shield you can find and block everything (alternatively carry the Zweihander and pancake enemies with the strong attack)

There are two kinds of magic, sorcerey is slow and weird at first but it allows you to eventually brute-force your way through most of the encounters in the game, the later spells do a lot of damage

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am really bad at this game

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    if you just want to focus on being a sword guy and never raising faith or intelligence, you can still mess around with pyromancy a bit for fun, since it's just tied to buying items and upgrades primarily

even just getting the defensive pyromancies and a grenade or two can add some nice flexibility to how you approach situations, imo

Some notes on shields

They have differing resistances to the various damage types

For example a shield with 96% physical resistance and 35% fire resistance will block 96% of physical damage but only 35% of the damage you'd receive from a fireball landing on your shield

Shields also have something called stability, a shield with a higher stability will cause you to lose less stamina upon blocking an attack

I just spent a bunch of souls on a spear to learn I can't actually use it properly

Should I even be buying gear at all or just finding it?

I am really bad at this game

We all were

If you two-hand the hand-axe and attack with the strong attack, it should kill most hollows up to the Taurus Demon in one hit

I would pump all souls into vitality and endurance for now

You can eventually buy all gear later

Hitting things isn't so bad it's not getting hit back. Even though I know I should dodge I just don't. And when I do remember to a lot of the time the enemy attacks seem to track me and hit me anyway.

Also I keep trying to attack from too far away because I guess I forget this isn't Witcher 3.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »

Warriors are forgiving if you carry the best shield you can find and block everything (alternatively carry the Zweihander and pancake enemies with the strong attack)

There are two kinds of magic, sorcerey is slow and weird at first but it allows you to eventually brute-force your way through most of the encounters in the game, the later spells do a lot of damage

Magic buids are powerful but they take a while to gel. If you want a good starting class that can do ranged magic, pyromancer is a solid choice.

Overall, I'd say the Knight, Warrior, and Pyromancer are the best options for new players.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular

I bought it yesterday because it was on sale and just now noticed the thread.

Someone preempted my question on what is a good starting build, I started wit warrior in case anyone has other suggestions.

I recommend beginner player do knight class first for survivability and learning purposes since they start with a good shield and high hp, if you want to pick up magic though the Pyromancer comes with a shield along a fireball spell which is pretty handy early game. It's not a hard recommendation though since everyone have their own playstyle and preference. Overall I will only not recommend the deprived and hunter class as your first character due to the lack of experience and certain information

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    I just spent a bunch of souls on a spear to learn I can't actually use it properly

Should I even be buying gear at all or just finding it?
    i generally would recommend just using what you find, there are a lot of good weapons and armor that can be found in levels (without randomly dropping from enemies) and it's hard to know if you'll actually like a weapon until you've swung it around a bit

when you're in an item menu you can use the X button (on a 360 controller, i guess it's probably square on the playstation?) to flip through and see the required stats on gear, it's kind of an easy detail to miss with how busy those pages are

Hitting things isn't so bad it's not getting hit back. Even though I know I should dodge I just don't. And when I do remember to a lot of the time the enemy attacks seem to track me and hit me anyway.

Also I keep trying to attack from too far away because I guess I forget this isn't Witcher 3.
    Grabbing a decent shield and getting the stats to use that spear is an option. Spears can attack while your shield is raised. It costs more stamina, but if you keep having trouble with dodging it's a pretty effective alternative. If you keep working at dodging it'll probably click with you in time, though.
    Don't forget, the main power of the dodge isn't in getting you away from an attack, it's using its invincibility frames to just kinda phase through it.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Grabbing a decent shield and getting the stats to use that spear is an option. Spears can attack while your shield is raised. It costs more stamina, but if you keep having trouble with dodging it's a pretty effective alternative. If you keep working at dodging it'll probably click with you in time, though.
    Don't forget, the main power of the dodge isn't in getting you away from an attack, it's using its invincibility frames to just kinda phase through it.

The estoc is also good for long distance poking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHA3vWI9l-U

I would still advise against rolling forward into the enemy and rolling backwards gains distance which is important against multiple enemies

A bad habit many people pick up is rolling into the same direction your enemy is swinging, this is how you eventually get shreked by Fume Knight

I don't get the invincibility frames thing because sometimes I get hit even though I dodge

You're invincible only during part of the animation

How much invincibility you get depends on your current speed (fast, medium, slow) which is determined by how encumbered you are

With the fast roll you used to get roughly 0,44 seconds of invincibility in the middle of the animation

I usually intuit the i-frames of the dodge as the part where you're not touching the ground. I'm not sure how accurate that is to the actual frame data, but it's worked for me so far.

I don't like how the attacks can track you. Like I start rolling as they start swinging and they turn and hit me where I end up. I'm sure I'll get used to it but it's annoying right now.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    A corpse should be left well enough alone.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    That last piece is sweeeet

(last page)

Solar on
    I started playing Bloodbourne again and man

Bloodbourne is just so good. SO GOOD. Best Fromsoft game by far for me.

edited August 2020
    lol at you adding a U to Bloodborne. Your English is showing.

Brovid Hasselsmof on

I do it a lot too and my englishness is two generations out!

Hahaha I didn't even notice... you gotta get those u's in!

edited August 2020
    A bourne is a stream. So Bloodborne means "carried by blood" while Bloodbourne means "a stream of blood".

I don't have a point here I just thought it was interesting.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    Both highly appropriate, really...

Now I'm gonna go play some more Dark Soughls

edited August 2020
    my favorite bit of real bad localization relating to bloodborne and its title is there there is a boss in the chalice dungeons named Bloodletting Beast, which is an apropos name

except that in japanese the name translates to The Origin of the Beast Blood which changes the fucking meaning a whole lot

PiptheFair on
    Now I'm gonna go play some more Dark Soughls

I personally enjoy a bit of Sekirou: Shadouws Die Twice

I don't like how the attacks can track you. Like I start rolling as they start swinging and they turn and hit me where I end up. I'm sure I'll get used to it but it's annoying right now.
    There's generally a point in the attack where the tracking ends. During the startup they can usually still track you, but once they actually swing they're locked in. I think. I've never really thought about when exactly it happens before.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    A thing I appreciated when playing Bloodborne was the ease at which the PS4 could save video clips and upload them to youtube, so I could record myself fighting bosses and then never watch them again and no one else will either but they are there and every couple months I can remember they exist and look at my uploads list then nod appreciatively before moving on with my life.

The only clip worth showing other people is this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOka7--GKMA

There's generally a point in the attack where the tracking ends. During the startup they can usually still track you, but once they actually swing they're locked in. I think. I've never really thought about when exactly it happens before.

except in dark souls 2 where shit will just do a 180 to hit you all the time

In DS1 it's generally very easy to walk around enemies as they're doing their attack animation and stab them in the back

I will get better at it.

Just as soon as I stop throwing myself off of scenery like the guy in that clip