As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Against Everyone’s Better Judgement The [Movie] Thread is Open

Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri LibrarianRegistered User regular
Please don’t go to the movie theatre I beg of you.

2ohWien.png
Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    In 1997, a post-apocalyptic sci-fi Blockbuster was released by WB. It centered on a world where society had crumbled after racial militias destabilised the United States with violence followed by a plague leading to collapse around 15-20 years after the millenium. And then the fascists spend the entire film trying to eradicate the postal service.

All I'm saying is perhaps we were a bit hasty in dismissing Kevin Costner's The Postman back when it came out.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    to which I say, this fucking timeline.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    In 1997, a post-apocalyptic sci-fi Blockbuster was released by WB. It centered on a world where society had crumbled after racial militias destabilised the United States with violence followed by a plague leading to collapse around 15-20 years after the millenium. And then the fascists spend the entire film trying to eradicate the postal service.

All I'm saying is perhaps we were a bit hasty in dismissing Kevin Costner's The Postman back when it came out.

Bring on the waterworld future, I say.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Please don’t go to the movie theatre I beg of you.

I hear some folks went to the theater last week and almost got killed by a train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RYNThid23g

Just don't go, it's very dangerous.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    The theater has many dangers.

https://youtu.be/IXmWL4J2wwI

• ChallChall Registered User regular
    Anything bad can happen in a theater, it's true. For example, I saw Cats! in a theater and that was awful.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    last night I watched Citizenfour and if you'll excuse me, I'm about to go live in a cave for the rest of my life

6F32U1X.png
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Many good things can happen in a theater, it's true. For example, I saw Cats in a theater and that was perfect

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Chall wrote: »
    Anything bad can happen in a theater, it's true. For example, I saw Cats! in a theater and that was awful.
    Many good things can happen in a theater, it's true. For example, I saw Cats in a theater and that was perfect

Now kiss.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I liked Portrait of a Lady on Fire and will happily see what appears to be an English remake

6F32U1X.png
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I'm generally a fan of Christopher Nolan's movies. But the bullshit regarding Tenet has reached the point where I hope it flops horribly.

Seriously, the middle of a pandemic is not the time to bitch about "the value of the cinema experience." And this latest move of not allowing drive-ins to show the damn thing unless attached to a 'real theater' is really my last straw.

Fuck Tenet, fuck Nolan, and fuck WB.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    it would be good if chris nolan were humbled

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My fear is that if/when Tenet flops because no one's going to the theater, he'll blame literally everyone but himself. Depends on how far gone his ego is I guess.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d0Zf9sXlHk&

This looks cute but Cavill my god man stop being so handsome already

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • ChallChall Registered User regular
    It's a testament to the limitless power of Zack Snyder's Black Hole of Fun TM that he was able to make Henry Cavill seem boring and un-charismatic.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    It's a testament to the limitless power of Zack Snyder's Black Hole of Fun TM that he was able to make Henry Cavill seem boring and un-charismatic.

we got lots of shirtless superman, though

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

I have a theory that Sean Connery died some years ago.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Watched Troy the other day, think I haven't seen it since it came out in cinemas 16 years ago.

It's actually much better than I remembered.

I found it quite funny that Brendan Gleeson just used his normal Irish accent as the king of Sparta.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Watched Troy the other day, think I haven't seen it since it came out in cinemas 16 years ago.

It's actually much better than I remembered.

I found it quite funny that Brendan Gleeson just used his normal Irish accent as the king of Sparta.

People in Roman times have British accents, so why wouldn't people in Greek times have Irish ones? That's just good sense.

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Unhinged almost seems to be marketed just to make Tenet seem more restrained.

fpwem42hhhaq.jpeg

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d0Zf9sXlHk&

This looks cute but Cavill my god man stop being so handsome already

This looks fun.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    1. I love Henry Cavill (in all possible ways)
    2. No one should die or inadvertently kill someone because they want to watch a movie all proper-like

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ah I had forgotten about that part of science.

If we just want to go to the movies hard enough the virus disappears. /facepalm

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular

The sad thing is that Cavill could have played a really great Superman/Clark Kent if the script was right.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

The sad thing is that Cavill could have played a really great Superman/Clark Kent if the script was right.

You can see bits and pieces of it

His "race" against Flash in Justice League is some primo Superman shit--just the right level of cattiness towards someone who is as fast (?) as him, and ultimately dunking on him by saving as many people as possible

I think those movies are pretty dire, especially BvS, but the greatest crime they committed was misusing someone who could be one of the best Supermans of all time. The man is a charisma engine and those movies just make him glower and sulk and snarl until almost the very end.

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

Actually, now that you mention it, this is basically the perfect time for the original Brin novel, The Postman, to be made into a TV show.

We need to learn some hard lessons about how patriotism is useless if there is no compassion or sacrifice behind it, and about how symbols and leaders are only as important as we make them.

fortunately it seems like filmmakers have figured out how to use Henry Cavill since then

him reloading his arms is the most memorable moment in a franchise designed around memorable setpieces, and as far as I'm concerned he is the definitive Geralt of Rivia; heartfelt apologies to Doug Cockle

I think casting him as Sherlock Holmes is fucking brilliant

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Let's not forget his best work this year.
    https://youtu.be/zsRts4mZlo4
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/CCs-N1Eh2Z5/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
    I showed this to my wife without telling her who it was, and I felt her tense when the bicep moved into frame.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I have that same tower and it looks so small when Cavill picks it up. It is not small!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    yeah, I wanna see more of that guy.
    Love his little sigh right as he's about to start fixing the heat sink issue. And... screwdriver!

Commander Zoom on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    This is your regular reminder to watch The Man from UNCLE, in which Henry Cavill is very handsome and very charming

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I’m very sad Henry Cavill didn’t get to be Superman in a better movie, and that we’ll likely never get one with a humanist heart to it.

04xkcuvaav19.png
    henry cavill pushing the locking mechanism down on a CPU is actually now the most tense scene he's ever been filmed performing in

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    I’m very sad Henry Cavill didn’t get to be Superman in a better movie, and that we’ll likely never get one with a humanist heart to it.

So much this. He’s so well cast. I’ve always wanted the movie the first Man of Steel trailer promises and I’m always sad that isn’t the movie we got.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I really wish we had received an optimistic Superman film with Henry Cavill.

But we also got a movie where Batman hits Superman in the head with a bathroom sink.

So, ya know, I'm conflicted.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    This is your regular reminder to watch The Man from UNCLE, in which Henry Cavill is very handsome and very charming

he plays a sexy superspy who isn't a huge fuckin' creep

like as soon as he gets a read on Gaby and sees that she's not into him he never flirts with her, even a little bit

it's dumb that this is refreshing, but it is!

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    the man from UNCLE would have been a lot better if Cavill and Hammer's characters had been allowed to act on their mutual manlust

My dream would be getting Cavill on an episode of Legends of Tomorrow playing someone who thinks they are Superman and it letting him just really ham it up and have fun while wearing really brightly colored tights.

This discussion has been closed.