As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Kingdom Rush Vengeance, Aquanox & Crown Trick out today!

BroloBrolo BroseidonLord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
edited October 2020 in Social Entropy++

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Brolo wrote: »
    NiGHTS, Mario64 and Quake all came out in the same year, which really did represent a sorta anything-is-possible kind of wonder for twelve year old me.

Ts04xg4.jpg
    PtM8976.jpg
    Kdpd996.jpg

Like if games could like this good, with Doom only having come out three years prior, then surely by 1999 game graphics would be indistinguishable from reality, and that would somehow make games... better? more fun? I don't really know if my thought process extended that far.

I think I remember that these came out close enough together that they were reviewed at the same time in some magazines.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    also I got a little something in the mail!

HtoVVsTl.jpg
    take it to the MAX

Jx8mpiDl.jpg
    oh he thicc

Oteq4hKl.jpg
    default settings

dGPPGeil.jpg
    the lovely @Peas was kind enough to gift me Fae Tactics! finally going to get a chance to put some serious time into it on my commute! thanks peas!

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I'm still very much in the opening bits but Spiritfarer is adorable so far. You can pet your cat! And each npc has a hug option in their dialog!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Rolo bless you for buying those gaming tablet things, they are very cool even if I'll never get one

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    That Winmax looks sweet, what are the specs like?

EDIT: I ended up looking it up, that's pretty decent for the form factor

Interested to hear how the Iris 940 holds up.

Dixon on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I really wish my husband and I could like... Combine our steam accounts somehow. Family share is ok but due to my own carelessness I was accidentally logged in as him when I bought Total Warhammer 1 when it came out, and thinking it wasn't a big deal I just went on and bought the second one on my account but that means I don't get to use any of the dlc content from the first game in the second one basically! No regiments of renown for empires from the first game! No wood elves! None of it!

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Mario 64 and Quake, two games that defined 3d gaming and would influence game design for years to come. Oh and also NiGHTS.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Mario 64 and Quake, two games that defined 3d gaming and would influence game design for years to come. Oh and also NiGHTS.

psh, ill never forget where I was the day NiGHTS in the shelves at Electronics Boutique

• Options
    Spiritfarer might be too peaceful and calm of a game, just passed out on desk playing it , and not like a up late thing either lol

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

psh, ill never forget where I was the day NiGHTS in the shelves at Electronics Boutique

I remember playing the Jaguar at Babages with my brother, but that's all I remember of it.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Every time I see screenshots of Quake I am freshly surprised just how brown a videogame can be

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i miss unnecessarily huge PC game boxes on retail shelves

remember when PC games came in boxes that are roughly the size of college textbooks? good times

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Fae Tactics gets pretty hard later on I must say, now that I've gotten quite a bunch of hours into it. I actually have one more key lying around but missed the timing to send it to someone, I was looking for people who dig this kind of stuff. So if anyone is up for some nostalgic tactics gaming goodness just sound out!

WIN Max looks really good btw, I want to play 2D games on it

• Options
    Peas wrote: »
    Fae Tactics gets pretty hard later on I must say, now that I've gotten quite a bunch of hours into it. I actually have one more key lying around but missed the timing to send it to someone, I was looking for people who dig this kind of stuff. So if anyone is up for some nostalgic tactics gaming goodness just sound out!

WIN Max looks really good btw, I want to play 2D games on it

Does it scratch the FF tactics itch?

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    It actually does capture the feel but it's not using the jobs system which limits your customization to the characters they've provided, you get scrolls and new weapons which you can use to change their play style along the way
    Other than that you have "summons" which are like pets you can collect after defeating them but they are pretty flimsy and usually deployed as distractions, supports or in specific scenarios like the enemies are weak to fire or something. There are secret characters too which are missable so I recommend reading up on them because it's a pretty long game.

Story wise I thought it was decent but I can tell that it's not trying to be ambitious about it
    Gives me a bit of a Phantom Brave vibe

The music is so good and gives you mad nostalgia for other games back in the day, not to say it doesn't hold on it's own

Fae Tactics Original Soundtrack - Gremlin Caves Battle 4:13
    https://youtu.be/pFyZfk0L_gU
    Music by Sam English for the game Fae Tactics, developed by Endlessfluff Games.

Sam English actually have the entire playlist on youtube
    edit:
    Btw damn son the Witcher III is like 70% off, that's an insanely good price for a game like that

Peas on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I had a dream that someone was making a harvest moon-style game with murder mystery elements

You're a world famous detective who, stardew style, decides that life is too depressing and hectic, and takes an early retirement to move out to the country

So like you'd have your farm, and you'd develop it while also hanging out in town and getting to know everyone, and then one morning one of the townsfolk is found dead. You have no choice but to come out of retirement to gather clues and interview the townsfolk in order to solve the crime before the killer strikes again

And I'm mainly posting about this because I'm gonna need all of you to abandon your life ambitions in order to make this game because FUCK I wanna play it

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Star Renegades is the one that supposedly has a Nemesis-style system for bosses, right? That game looks good as hell.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I believe you are thinking of Star Citizen

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Star Citizen has a roadmap of a roadmap to a Nemesis system. Buy $100m more of 3D spaceship models and it may be finished sooner.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    More like Shart Shitizen

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I had a dream that someone was making a harvest moon-style game with murder mystery elements

You're a world famous detective who, stardew style, decides that life is too depressing and hectic, and takes an early retirement to move out to the country

So like you'd have your farm, and you'd develop it while also hanging out in town and getting to know everyone, and then one morning one of the townsfolk is found dead. You have no choice but to come out of retirement to gather clues and interview the townsfolk in order to solve the crime before the killer strikes again

And I'm mainly posting about this because I'm gonna need all of you to abandon your life ambitions in order to make this game because FUCK I wanna play it

Stardew Murder She Wrote sounds absolutely delightful

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Star Renegades is the one that supposedly has a Nemesis-style system for bosses, right? That game looks good as hell.

I was interested in it but the loading times are real bad and oh my god that dialogue. They do that thing constantly where one character interrupts the other character to show that "nah dude i know that too because i'm a badass!" I was just cringing the whole time i was watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SoCZJt6TJc&t=1854s

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    [gamescom 2020] Farming Simulator 19 Alpine Farming Expansion - Gameplay Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hl77JliqJU

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

I'll get right on that. Gonna make the murderer and victim randomized every time, with all the townsfolk harboring secret pasts that make them all look suspicious.

I'll call it Seeds of Doubt.

• Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

I can't question the witness Sheriff, my Marrows are ripe and need harvesting!

Puns:
    Evidence? Im sure some will Turnip.
    someone tried to Eggplant the evidence.
    Looks like the victim Artichoke'd!
    The criminal has been Collard
    I'm gonna put all my cards on the Vegetable.
    Make em squeal like a Baby Potato
    The sliced his Carrot-id artery!
    They're gonna fry you i the chair so hard you'll be Chard
    There's been a Leek to the press
    Get a Pear of cuffs on him!
    That's a pile of Shiitaki and you know it!
    Despite her Radish-ing beauty, she had the eyes of a killer.

My name? Quince-y

I regret most of them.

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular
    i miss unnecessarily huge PC game boxes on retail shelves

remember when PC games came in boxes that are roughly the size of college textbooks? good times

Those were great cause they crammed a lot of stuff inside like a thick-ass manual with lore stuff and sometimes a map. The current cases may be smaller but they're also emptier, if that makes sense. Just an incomplete manual and ads.

steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

EXACTLY.
    Mvrck wrote: »

I'll get right on that. Gonna make the murderer and victim randomized every time, with all the townsfolk harboring secret pasts that make them all look suspicious.

I'll call it Seeds of Doubt.

Oh my god YES.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    you need to find a way to link the farming to advancing the case

maybe you have to use your crops to integrate yourself further into the community and gain people’s trust

“I couldn’t help but overhear you’re out of eggs! did YOU overhear the argument Mrs O’Flannery had with her wife last week?”

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    That is way better than anything I've ever dreamed up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I was interested in it but the loading times are real bad and oh my god that dialogue. They do that thing constantly where one character interrupts the other character to show that "nah dude i know that too because i'm a badass!" I was just cringing the whole time i was watching.

Hmm, maybe I just have a much higher tolerance for this sort of thing, but the dialogue and load times in this seem fine?

• Options

Hmm, maybe I just have a much higher tolerance for this sort of thing, but the dialogue and load times in this seem fine?

Really? The load times going into fights seems almost PS1 era slow.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

maybe you have to use your crops to integrate yourself further into the community and gain people’s trust

“I couldn’t help but overhear you’re out of eggs! did YOU overhear the argument Mrs O’Flannery had with her wife last week?”

I mean, as everyone knows, the real point of Stardew Valley is getting those ten hearts with every town person, and obviously the best way to accomplish that is to give them gifts that they love. So you just gotta grow those gifts, y'know?

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »

I mean, as everyone knows, the real point of Stardew Valley is getting those ten hearts with every town person, and obviously the best way to accomplish that is to give them gifts that they love. So you just gotta grow those gifts, y'know?

no way i told every person in town to F out i'm maxin' out my radishes all of you go to hell

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    having to investigate suspects is also just a good way to justify an early introduction to every character in town

like of course you're gonna be the town busybody, the game is afoot!

dang i like this idea a lot

• Options
    I'm actually just interested now in the idea of a Stardew Valley where the townspeople aren't super welcoming and forthcoming about things

Like, obviously in this Stardew Valley but there's a murder idea, people are going to have to be somewhat secretive (or suspiciously forthcoming, I suppose), and getting permission to like, root through their rooms or whatever should be a more difficult thing

• Options

Ok yeah I missed the first one, that one was bad

• Options

Ok yeah I missed the first one, that one was bad

I thought they were all pretty bad. Still getting the game but yeesh

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    "And it turns out that the real killer was...Hat Mouse?"

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

@Speed Racer, that's VERY close to the plot of Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

"Hercule Poirot retires to a village near the home of a friend, Roger Ackroyd, to pursue a project to perfect vegetable marrows. Soon after, Ackroyd is murdered and Poirot must come out of retirement to solve the case."

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
This discussion has been closed.