As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo 3DS] Looks like everyone's favorite handheld finally gets to retire.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Super Princess Peach is an okay platformer that's done in the sprite style.

Izuna and Izuna 2 are more roguelike RPGs than Zelda-style, but you may like them.

Knights in the Nightmare is gorgeous and is probably one of the only games I've come across with an actually creative use for the touch screen. The story is ludicrously depressing, though.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I really wish I liked Azure Striker Gunvolt more than I did. I ultimately had the same problem with it that I later had with Matterfall. They're really easy games with relatively harsh scoring systems. The scoring is designed in a way that encourages literally perfect play, as every single bit of damage you take tanks your scoring potential, leading to a frustrating experience, and torturous replaying. But then if you decide to not give a fuck about your score and just play the game, you find that the scoring system was the only challenging thing about it. The enemies never pose much of a physical threat, as they only threaten your combo.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I forget whether Sonic Rush/Sonic Rush Adventure/Sonic Colirs use 2D sprites, or just the 3D stuff.

The Mario & Luigi games all use 2D sprites, as I recall.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Rush games have 3D Sonic/Blaze and basically everything else 2D, except for boss battles.

Mostly the same deal with NSMB1.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I really wish I liked Azure Striker Gunvolt more than I did. I ultimately had the same problem with it that I later had with Matterfall. They're really easy games with relatively harsh scoring systems. The scoring is designed in a way that encourages literally perfect play, as every single bit of damage you take tanks your scoring potential, leading to a frustrating experience, and torturous replaying. But then if you decide to not give a fuck about your score and just play the game, you find that the scoring system was the only challenging thing about it. The enemies never pose much of a physical threat, as they only threaten your combo.

I gave up when it made me go on a fetch quest to find the real final boss.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Super Princess Peach is an okay platformer that's done in the sprite style.

Izuna and Izuna 2 are more roguelike RPGs than Zelda-style, but you may like them.

Knights in the Nightmare is gorgeous and is probably one of the only games I've come across with an actually creative use for the touch screen. The story is ludicrously depressing, though.

Knights in the Nightmare was a very interesting game that drove me too fucking insane to continue. The idea that you needed to use up your units to attack completely neutralized the same part of my brain that makes me entirely unable to ever spend a non-replaceable consumable in every RPG.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Koromaru plush is a low blow.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Hopefully they don't allow Gamestop to be the only store with preorders...

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Has anyone else been updable to perform a system update today? Out of the blue, my N3DS has been unable to update itself all afternoon and all night. I'm online with my NNID; friends and notifications work. I can get to the eshop but it tells me to update.

I've tried two sets of manual DNS servers, matching the MTU to my router, deleting and re-entering the network info, power cycling my modem and router for ~20 minutes ... nothing has helped.

This is disastrous timing, I need to renew Pokémon Bank, and of course there's no other way of doing so (at least not until it comes to Switch with Sword and Shield, but that's far too late to help.)

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    What's your current firmware version? 11.9 has been out for months now, I don't see anything about a new update today.

11.8.0-41U. I haven't needed to access the eshop or other online services for quite a while.

OK well just saying. Probably not too many people on old firmware that just decided randomly to check if they could update today.

I did try a manual system update on 11.9 now, it did successfully check and tell me I was already updated.

edited March 2019
    Thank you for checking!

Bizarrely, after all that I'd tried, it updated without incident after swapping in another SDcard. The card I removed had over 31k blocks free, roughly 3.7+ GB, so I don't think it was a space issue.

Well, that 3.5 hours of troubleshooting was horrible for my stress level, but now it's over.

IceBurner on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Nintendo of Europe is removing the ability to use credit cards on the 3DS shop. I guess that's one more nail in the coffin. I think NOA is the last holdout. I'm still surprised when I see 2DS units for sale in stores. They don't seem to be moving at all.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/08/nintendo_removing_credit_card_support_from_3ds_and_wii_u_eshop_in_europe

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Nintendo of Europe is removing the ability to use credit cards on the 3DS shop. I guess that's one more nail in the coffin. I think NOA is the last holdout. I'm still surprised when I see 2DS units for sale in stores. They don't seem to be moving at all.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/08/nintendo_removing_credit_card_support_from_3ds_and_wii_u_eshop_in_europe

That's very weird. Has there been other paid video game services that removed the ability to credit card before, y'know, shutting down the service?

Seems a bit early to me, and I'm the "3DS is totally sunsetting" guy.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited August 2019
    So much for the "Wii service was only cancelled because it was run by gamespy" theory.

Since the Wii U / 3DS digital stuff run on the same system, maybe they've been chomping at the bit to dump it since the Wii U was discontinued.

Edit: apparently this may have more to do with EU laws, Payment Services Directive 2, which would come into effect mid September. So they might rather shut down service than bother updating for compliance.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    That makes much more sense. Guess purchases aren't enough nowadays to make it worth switching over.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    I take it that purchases via points cards will remain a valid option for EU players.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I hate drudging up a thread that has been dormant for a year now, but I had a battery question. I have a New 3DS XL (Majora's Mask version) and the system starts flashing red when away from a charging cable after about 24 hours of non-use. That tells me the battery isn't holding much of a charge anymore and needs to be replaced.

I found a replacement on Nintendo's webpage and wondered if anyone here has bought one from them. Any tips or is it an easy replacement? Should I look to a 3rd party seller for a longer battery life or just play it safe with a 1st party one?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I hate drudging up a thread that has been dormant for a year now, but I had a battery question. I have a New 3DS XL (Majora's Mask version) and the system starts flashing red when away from a charging cable after about 24 hours of non-use. That tells me the battery isn't holding much of a charge anymore and needs to be replaced.

I found a replacement on Nintendo's webpage and wondered if anyone here has bought one from them. Any tips or is it an easy replacement? Should I look to a 3rd party seller for a longer battery life or just play it safe with a 1st party one?

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+3DS+XL+2015+Teardown/36346

Like the 3DS and DS before it, the battery is trivial to replace with just a tiny screwdriver. No advice I can give on sourcing, I ordered 1st party when replacing my DS battery a while back.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Just be careful. I had a similar issue but it turned out to be the charging port broke. Make sure it works when plugged in if you haven’t already. The solution to my issue was to get one of the charging docks instead. It uses contacts on the outside instead of a plug in and those werent broken. I was gonna buy a whole new system

Kai_San wrote: »
    Just be careful. I had a similar issue but it turned out to be the charging port broke. Make sure it works when plugged in if you haven’t already. The solution to my issue was to get one of the charging docks instead. It uses contacts on the outside instead of a plug in and those werent broken. I was gonna buy a whole new system

Yeah, it works when plugged in and holds a shortish charge.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I replaced the battery in my original 2DS about a year ago. Ordered the replacement from the Nintendo store. I think this is the one you want.

It's an easy operation but IIRC I did need a size 0 philips screwdriver. Ended up just buying the iFixit driver kit to get the bit, since I was looking at their guide already anyway.

Edit: It's kind of a bummer that these devices don't use more standard rechargeable batteries. You can still slap any old AA batteries in a launch Game Boy Advance, but finding replacement 3DS batteries in twenty years might be a bit more of an adventure.

Frem on
    Hate to bump a thread after a year and a half, but it looks like the 3DS is actually getting a new game. Fragrant Story, a strategy RPG inspired by games from the '90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzcORAxqcuY

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I thought for sure this was an April Fool's thing, but without actually buying it... it seems to be on the up and up?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Yo they actually got Gideon Emery to voice that trailer?

edited April 2022
    A friend of mine reminded me that while the 3DS shop is closing next year, we'll no longer be able to add funds to our accounts as of May 23rd of this year. So we've got just over a month to buy any titles with a credit card. He recommended I pick up Radiant Historia since it's on sale for $10 (normally $40).

It got me thinking, we should make a "greatest of" list of titles people with a 3DS should consider picking up. While I made a big list in the OP, I'd like to get it updated for some gems that might have been missed or never got added. Here's the current list of games and eShop exclusive titles:

Carts/eShop:
    7th Dragon III Code: VFO
    3D Sonic the Hedgehog
    3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Alliance Alive
    Attack of the Friday Monsters
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf
    Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
    Bravely Second: 2nd Layer
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror Fate
    Cave Story 3D
    Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
    Dead or Alive: Dimensions
    Detective Pikachu
    Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
    Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
    Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
    Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
    Etrian Odyssey 4
    Etrian Odyssey V
    Etrian Odyssey Nexus
    Etrian Odyssey Untold
    Etrian Odyssey Untold 2
    Etrian Mystery Dungeon
    Ever Oasis
    Fantasy Life (DLC only)
    Fire Emblem: Awakening
    Fire Emblem: Echoes
    Fire Emblem: Fates
    Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
    Harvest Moon: A New Beginning
    Kirby: Planet Robobot
    Kirby: Triple Deluxe
    Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn
    Kingdom Hearts: Drop Dream Distance
    Kid Icarus Uprising
    The Legend of Legacy
    Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven
    Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
    Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
    Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Sotry +
    Metroid: Samus Returns
    Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate
    Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
    Monster Hunter Generations
    Monster Hunter Stories
    Mario Kart 7
    Mario Tennis Open
    Mario Golf: World Tour
    Mario Party
    Nano Assault
    New Super Mario Bros. 2
    NES Remix
    Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
    Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
    Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
    Persona Q: Shadow of Labyrinth
    Persona Q 2
    Project X Zone
    Project X Zone 2 (cart only)
    Paper Mario: Sticker Star
    Pokemon X/Y
    Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
    Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon
    Rune Factory 4
    Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
    Resident Evil: Revelations
    Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
    Rhythm Thief
    Sonic Generations
    Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker
    Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers
    Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux
    Senran Kagura 2
    Stella Glow
    Star Fox 64 3D
    Shinobi
    Super Mario 3D Land
    Super Street Fighter 4 3D
    Shin Megami Tensei 4
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
    Super Smash Bros
    Tekken
    Tales of the Abyss
    Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
    Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
    Tomodachi Life
    WarioWare: Gold
    Xenoblade (New 3DS only!)
    Yoshi's New Island
    Zero Escape: Virtues Last Reward

eShop only:
    Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies
    Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice
    Azure Strike Gunvolt
    BoxBoy!
    BoxBoxBoy!
    Bye-Bye Box Boy!
    Bomb Monkey
    Cave Story
    Crashmo
    Crimson Shroud
    Dillion's Rolling Western
    Dillion's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger
    Excitebike 3D
    Gunman Clive
    Gunman Clive 2
    Gunstar Heroes
    HarmoKnight
    Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX
    Kid Icarus 3D
    Kirby's Adventure
    Kirby Fighters Deluxe
    Liberation Maiden
    Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move (eShop)
    Mutant Mudds
    Mutant Mudds 2
    Mighty Switch Force
    Mighty Switch Force 2
    Mighty Gunvolt
    NightSky
    Pushmo
    Picdun 2
    Picross 3D: Round 2
    Picross E1-8
    Pocket Card Jockey
    Retro City Rampage DX
    Sakura Samurai
    Senran Kagura Burst
    Squids Odyssey
    Steel Diver: Sub Wars
    Streets of Rage 2
    Steamworld: Dig
    Steamworld: Dig 2
    Steamworld: Heist
    Shovel Knight
    Scram Kitty on his Buddies on Rails
    Stretchmo
    Twin Bee
    Unchained Blades
    VVVVVV
    Weapon Shop De Omasse
    Zen Pinball

I'll update the list based on suggestions and update this post and the OP. Anyone still around that cares to help me out with this project?

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    3D Picross Round 2 definitely deserves to be there!

While I agree that FE: Awakening is superior, I would consider adding FE: Fates as well. The story and VA are ass but the fact that you can get two whole campaigns more for $20 apiece makes it a huge value proposition for a handheld.

3D Picross Round 2 definitely deserves to be there!

While I agree that FE: Awakening is superior, I would consider adding FE: Fates as well. The story and VA are ass but the fact that you can get two whole campaigns more for $20 apiece makes it a huge value proposition for a handheld.

Awesome! Added. Thanks!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Some things you don't have on the above list:

7th Dragon III Code: VFO
    Alliance Alive (enhanced port exists on other systems)
    Etrian Odyssey V
    Etrian Odyssey Nexus
    Etrian Odyssey Untold
    Etrian Odyssey Untold 2
    Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
    Fire Emblem Fates (make sure to buy Revelations/the DLC while you can)
    The Legend of Legacy
    Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven
    Persona Q
    Persona Q 2
    Project X Zone
    Project X Zone 2
    Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
    Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker
    Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers
    Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux
    Senran Kagura 2
    Stella Glow

eShop:
    Crashmo
    Crimson Shroud
    Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX
    Mighty Switch Force 2
    Senran Kagura Burst
    Stretchmo (note that you have to beat the tutorial to actually buy the game as 'DLC'.)

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited April 2022
    *snip*

Thanks a ton! Updated the list!

Damn there's a lot of titles I still need to pick up! :o

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I'd skip on Pokemon X/Y.
    It was too linear and handhold-y for me to have fun.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    *snip*

Thanks a ton! Updated the list!

Damn there's a lot of titles I still need to pick up! :o

You somehow replaced EO4 with EO5 on your list. 3DS has both.

Also Nexus is probably the best entry of the series on the system.

And I'm eternally sad the Persona Q games are why EO3 never got a remake.

vagrant_winds on
    Oh also, we should probably note the Ultra versions of Sun/Moon versus the normal ones?

• BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    Just a couple notes. Project X Zone 2 has been delisted from all eshops.

If you are going to get a lot of items space out your purchases. Too many purchases at one time can result in Nintendo blacklisting your card as a form of fraud protection and you will have to contact customer service to get the ban cleared.

I found out both of these last month when I was completing my 3DS collection.

BigJoeM wrote: »
    Just a couple notes. Project X Zone 2 has been delisted from all eshops.

Well that sucks. And the cart is out of print and expensive. It's a good game too.

Also to note for the eShop. A whole lot of Atlus & Sega games are on big sale right now for all of us last time purchases before the store closes.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    You left out Kirby: Planet Robobot. I'll do some digging later on my collection to see if there's anything else that's worthwhile.