As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Adventures in Lordran - or tales of brave Sir Onion

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    I don't like how the attacks can track you. Like I start rolling as they start swinging and they turn and hit me where I end up. I'm sure I'll get used to it but it's annoying right now.
    There's generally a point in the attack where the tracking ends. During the startup they can usually still track you, but once they actually swing they're locked in. I think. I've never really thought about when exactly it happens before.

except in dark souls 2 where shit will just do a 180 to hit you all the time

Dark Souls 2 is where I cut my teeth on perfect rolls, learning to only dodge as the attack was launched so I didn't get caught by it on the tail end of the roll

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    DS1 Update:
    Killed two of those large club men at the bottom of the ladder into Blighttown. Did the whole, keep rotating behind them and backstab thing. First one was tough due to the narrow walkway. Third one I had down to one hit and got caught on geometry and killed.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    DS1 UPDATE!
    I DID IT! For some reason I thought those club guys were not blockable. They went down super easy and I found a Bonfire!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    finished bloodborne! turns out the main trick to kos phase two is to dodge into his attacks instead of away from them

Final DS1 update for today.

Me during all of this.

https://youtu.be/oUSNiqt-zH4
    Ventured into the walkways. Found armor and a sword and a bunch of souls. Lots of people died here judging from the blood spots. Also things were attacking me and just falling to their death a bunch. They don't seem hard, just awkward to fight. Also there was a giant squid spider thing hanging on a sewer outlet and I shot it with a ton of arrows since I had them. Killed it very easily. Got a book from the spot. Ran out of flasks though, only had 5, so I went back to the bonfire. Tomorrow I'll head in again.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I am really bad at this game

watching you learn it is reminding me of the first one of these I played

BahamutZERO.gif
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Running through DeS, DS1, and DS3 with the estoc is something I keep deciding to do, even though I know it is an absolutely miserable PvE weapon in those games (in DS2 thrusting swords are busted good in PvE because of the way the counter damage works).

But, and I can't stress this enough, it's so cool though.

Kamar wrote: »
    Running through DeS, DS1, and DS3 with the estoc is something I keep deciding to do, even though I know it is an absolutely miserable PvE weapon in those games (in DS2 thrusting swords are busted good in PvE because of the way the counter damage works).

I used it for a bit before switching back to the long sword. It seemed good but I just really like having both the swing and the stab that can do a follow up upswing. It feels far more versatile.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I tried a bunch of swords before I got the claymore and now everything else feels dumb and bad

edited August 2020

I used it for a bit before switching back to the long sword. It seemed good but I just really like having both the swing and the stab that can do a follow up upswing. It feels far more versatile.

In DS1, if you want to poke PvE enemies with a sword all game you do it with a straight sword: The Baldur Side Sword that the Baldur Knights (guys in the gargoyle church with the sword versions and rapier versions) drop (at a low rate). Bit of a meme weapon.

It has the normal straight sword R1 attacks (but is significantly longer than a longsword) and can thrust over and over and over for its R2 whether you have it one-handed or two-handed, with an extra damage multiplier even over just being an R2 attack. You pretty much just use the R2 unless you need to do crowd control.

edit: Here's someone showcasing it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx6bWJI1eB0

None of which stopped me from clearing the game with the estoc once because the estoc looks cool. But lets just say my BSS run and my estoc run were, uh, not the same in terms of difficulty.

Kamar on
    Huh. Neat.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    What the hell is with Irithyll of the Boreal Valley and invasions

I swear I’ve been invaded like 10 times more since I got here than any other area so far

Also, eff these tall guardians and their weirdly long reach and their ghost vomit

edited August 2020
    Shorty wrote: »
    I tried a bunch of swords before I got the claymore and now everything else feels dumb and bad

I really love the claymore, and default to greatswords pretty often when I don't have a weapon in mind...but I think greatswords end up making some people's first journey through the game end up harder than it needs to be. They're slow enough to give you slow weapon problems on certain fights, but lack the extra range and stagger than allow really big weapons to compensate.

Of course, there are exceptions, and the problem only shows up on certain fights.

And in DS3 you can keep a set of greatswords that do bonus damage to different enemy types, (demon, abyssal, hollow) and carve through everything very efficiently that way.

Kamar on
    I don’t like slow weapons. I am bad with them. I much prefer a middle ground and play it safe.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

In DS1, if you want to poke PvE enemies with a sword all game you do it with a straight sword: The Baldur Side Sword that the Baldur Knights (guys in the gargoyle church with the sword versions and rapier versions) drop (at a low rate). Bit of a meme weapon.

It has the normal straight sword R1 attacks (but is significantly longer than a longsword) and can thrust over and over and over for its R2 whether you have it one-handed or two-handed, with an extra damage multiplier even over just being an R2 attack. You pretty much just use the R2 unless you need to do crowd control.

edit: Here's someone showcasing it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx6bWJI1eB0

None of which stopped me from clearing the game with the estoc once because the estoc looks cool. But lets just say my BSS run and my estoc run were, uh, not the same in terms of difficulty.

estoc type weapons shred bosses in all 3 games

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The Balder Side Sword has to be in the top 5 in DS1

Part of me wants to keep using the long sword because I started with it and by god I’ll end with it.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Part of me wants to keep using the long sword because I started with it and by god I’ll end with it.

You can absolutely do this. Take it to +15, enchant it with Lightning or Fire or whatever, that's one of the great things about Dark Souls is you can pick up a weapon at SL 2 and still be using it at SL 200.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    People looking to revisit dark souls 3 should give the Cinders mod a try

It completely rebalances the game and adds in a shit load of summons

Since I last checked they have added:
    Pet summons
    Dating elements
    More bloodborne weapons
    New boss fight
    A wave based survival mode

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I go with the great club personally

I will beat god to death with a stick

edited August 2020
    PiptheFair wrote: »

estoc type weapons shred bosses in all 3 games

This has...not been my experience. I've done clears of DS1 with every weapon class but hammers, katanas, and the great scythe (which is technically a halberd but I count scythes separate on my spreadsheet), and the only thing harder than piercing swords was dagger.

My estoc run wasn't much easier than my SL1 run. (my dagger run was an unending nightmare, even with bleed and buffing)

edit: By contrast the easiest weapons to clear with are curved swords, halberds (pokers especially, but also glaive types), and any ultra with decent range

Kamar on
    I find the estoc in DS3 to have an extremely awkward thrusting animation/angle that makes it hard to judge distance between me and the enemy, so I often end up getting closer than I need to.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Dagger-backstabbing the boar still looks pretty awful

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Dagger-backstabbing the boar still looks pretty awful

in bloodborne you literally ram your forearm up the giant pigs asshole

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Look if you wanna be the best dark soul you can be then you gotta suck it up and get that rosebud.

edited August 2020
    My friend's journey through DS3 took us into the early DLC for a few goodies. We got through not-Garl and then we did the journey down the bridge ladder.

After like 15 attempts I had him wait at the top while I exterminated every single threat so he could take his time descending, because that's an area that very much expects you to have internalized Souls awful platforming AND be able to cope with being shot at nonstop.

edit: And lest I seem more competent than I am, I died three times clearing it out for him (all three times on that one dicey drop while in range of both archers to go up to the upper archer, what a nightmare). Fortunately he could just keep resummoning me and sending me ahead.

It's the Anor Londo archers and rafter walk combined into one ridiculous event. Except worse, because I played a fan mod of DS1 that had the archers in the rafters in Anor Londo and it wasn't nearly as difficult as that vine descent.

Kamar on
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Speaking of DLC, anyone playing DS1 for the first time should absolutely look up how to access it, because it’s very obtuse

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Dark souls 1 starter class review:

If you don't care about survivability but want to look fabulous and attack in the most stylish of ways, then the Wanderer class is for you

edited August 2020
    Wanderer's also a good starting point for various builds, like quality with just enough Int to use the Oolacile wand to get some utility/buffs or a 14/40/32 strength/dex/int so you can, say, buff a dex weapon with Crystal Magic Weapon using the Tin Crystalization Catalyst.

When I'm playing a planned out build and min-maxing I find I start as wanderer, pyromancer, or warrior 99% of the time.

edit: If anyone's confused about why it matters since you can keep leveling, it's for the community's preferred 120-125 level cap, and also assume the standard 50 in health and 40 in stamina.

Kamar on
    edited August 2020
    Aw jeez I very nearly died against Deacons on this new attempt at a DS3 estoc run.

At least it wasn't a repeat of the shameful time I tried to get through Deacons with a spear with the thrust-only moveset and died about 8 times before I got annoyed and mowed them down with a random unupgraded straight sword.

Though it's actually been going pretty well, I'm a bit worried about the late game defenses outscaling the estoc; the flat subtraction part of defenses can hit faster-hitting weapons with low ARs pretty hard.

This is because AR vs Defense in DS3 (and the others iirc) is super weird, in that you get dinged less by defense the higher your AR goes, not just in the obvious 'you have higher AR going in so your end damage is higher after being reduced by defense' sense but in that if your AR value is a certain percentage more than the Defense value then less of the Defense applies to it, meaning heavier hits hit even harder relative to lighter hits than their AR difference (or motion values, if you're getting that deep into the data) would suggest.

edit: Of course, smaller weapons that hit often do get more dps from weapon buffs, because those generally are just a flat number extra on each hit and don't care about your weapon's ar. Though you need to be a magic focused build for buffs to actually have enough damage on them to overcome the flat subtraction part of enemy defenses dinging the new element you're adding.

Kamar on
    Ok, I've been stuck on Pontiff Sulyvahn all evening.

Getting him down to phase 2 is no problem as I can just block and dodge reasonably efficiently, but once he pulls out his shadow clone jutsu bullshit things just go south extremely fast.

Trying to take out the clone up close just opens me up to his attacks and I can't seem to separate them far enough to take on one at a time.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Ok, I've been stuck on Pontiff Sulyvahn all evening.

Getting him down to phase 2 is no problem as I can just block and dodge reasonably efficiently, but once he pulls out his shadow clone jutsu bullshit things just go south extremely fast.

Trying to take out the clone up close just opens me up to his attacks and I can't seem to separate them far enough to take on one at a time.

I had to call in some phantoms for him. The two-on-one phase was just too aggressive to handle alone.

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Wanderer's also a good starting point for various builds, like quality with just enough Int to use the Oolacile wand to get some utility/buffs or a 14/40/32 strength/dex/int so you can, say, buff a dex weapon with Crystal Magic Weapon using the Tin Crystalization Catalyst.

When I'm playing a planned out build and min-maxing I find I start as wanderer, pyromancer, or warrior 99% of the time.

edit: If anyone's confused about why it matters since you can keep leveling, it's for the community's preferred 120-125 level cap, and also assume the standard 50 in health and 40 in stamina.
    counterpoint: wanderer is a bad starter class if, like me, it takes you a solid thirty minutes to realize you cannot kick with curved swords and you just keep trying against the earliest shield enemies and all that comes out is cartwheels and getting stabbed

(wanderer is pretty good overall though, having a poison-resistant armor set right out of the gate is nice)

Daypigeon on
  • MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    You can parry Sulyvahn fairly easy, especially his overhead swing, and a sorcery build will wreck him pretty fast. The main thing is you want to stay locked on to him the whole time and circle strafe toward his right side, the one holding the flame sword, which is both easier to dodge and easier to mitigate with red bug pills/other fire res gear. A greatshield or the Iron Flesh spell will also let you just poise through a lot of his attacks.

He was the final boss in early builds of the game, so he's especially aggressive. I usually ignore the clone, but getting it down will force him to summon more and let you get a bunch of free hits in.

Midnite on
    edited August 2020
    I've had a lot less trouble with Sullyvahn since I started treating the shadow clone as a part of his attacks rather than an add on the fight.

By which I mean, just keep fighting him but realize his attacks have follow up hits you will need to roll again for.

I like him a lot better than your more random actual add bosses.

Of course,if you're using a weapon class with good dps or a strong charge-up R2, you can just demolish the clone as he spawns it and never have to deal with it.

Kamar on
    I thought my sharp +5 sellsword twinblades had good dps with their L1 attack combo, but apparently not good enough to dispose of the clone before it gets moving

It's me the guy who will use all the summons if you let me
    You can summon up to 3 npcs for that fight

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    It's me the guy who will use all the summons if you let me
    You can summon up to 3 npcs for that fight

Anri’s got a legitimate beef with the guy, so you should let her in on the kill.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I still can't get the hang of this. My guy feels so slow and unresponsive. And I can't kick or jump attack when I want to but he does it sometimes randomly.

Every time I kill a random mook without taking damage I feel like the best person in the world at videogames and then the next guy kills me instantly and I feel like someone's grandmother who doesn't understand what the Nintendos are.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    edited August 2020
    Tap forward and light atk or heavy atk button at the same time for kick/jump atk respectively, it feels kinda weird but once you found the momentum you will be able to do it more reliably. What kind of gear are you donning now? Maybe a change of weapon might suit your playstyle.

Peas on