As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Adventures in Lordran - or tales of brave Sir Onion

• MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    It's me the guy who will use all the summons if you let me
    You can summon up to 3 npcs for that fight

Anri’s got a legitimate beef with the guy, so you should let her in on the kill.

Anri's always a dude in my playthroughs and I legit forgot it can be any other way, but...

(DS3 ending talk)
    I've only done the Lord of Hollows ending once
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I thought my sharp +5 sellsword twinblades had good dps with their L1 attack combo, but apparently not good enough to dispose of the clone before it gets moving

You can still buff Sharp infused weapons, so try using Human Pine Resin if you have any, the extra dark dmg might be enough. Are you at the dex softcap of 40?

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I thought my sharp +5 sellsword twinblades had good dps with their L1 attack combo, but apparently not good enough to dispose of the clone before it gets moving

You can still buff Sharp infused weapons, so try using Human Pine Resin if you have any, the extra dark dmg might be enough. Are you at the dex softcap of 40?

I'm level 41 atm, so my dex is sitting at around 26ish as I wanted to up my vitality and endurance a bit.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Tap forward and light atk or heavy atk button at the same time for kick/jump atk respectively, it feels kinda weird but once you found the momentum you will be able to do it more reliably. What kind of gear are you donning now? Maybe a change of weapon might suit your playstyle.

Still the hand axe. I bought a spear but I fucked up and didn't see that I don't actually have the stats for it.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Doing the LP is actually helpful though because I finish every play session unhappy and feeling like I suck but when I watch the footage I get to see that I did better after each death so I guess good job me have a participation medal.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I rolled a Knight on this play through and didn’t realize how heavy their armor is so I have been running around with just pants and gauntlets so I still have the medium roll

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    dangit now I'm gonna play DS1 again

should I do a Deprived run, or my standard Pyro & Zweihander?

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Tap forward and light atk or heavy atk button at the same time for kick/jump atk respectively, it feels kinda weird but once you found the momentum you will be able to do it more reliably. What kind of gear are you donning now? Maybe a change of weapon might suit your playstyle.

Still the hand axe. I bought a spear but I fucked up and didn't see that I don't actually have the stats for it.

For kicking I definitely just practiced kicking for a while.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    here's where I'm at
    since finishing anor londo I've mostly just been doing some housekeeping--cleaning up my inventory, improving some weapons and armor, that sort of thing

- I made my halberd Divine in preparation for New Londo

- Cleared out darkwood basin and garden

- I beat Sif on my first try, even though he's a very good boy

- Took his soul and made him into a sword for killing ghosts because I am not fuckin' around with curses

oh I also discovered that keeping liquid humanity on hand just...wildly improves your defenses and item drop rates? apparently I've been playing the game on Kinda Hard mode for most of it.

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    For DS1, i found this video WAY helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSbr8kEVkao&t=88s

Im actually gonna reroll my character since i haven't even fought the first Real Boss.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Would it be helpful if I made a tutorial on the basics of CQC

Platy on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    here's where I'm at
    since finishing anor londo I've mostly just been doing some housekeeping--cleaning up my inventory, improving some weapons and armor, that sort of thing

- Took his soul and made him into a sword for killing ghosts because I am not fuckin' around with curses

oh I also discovered that keeping liquid humanity on hand just...wildly improves your defenses and item drop rates? apparently I've been playing the game on Kinda Hard mode for most of it.

sif is a lady!

also, divine weapons also perma kill skelemans, which is useful later for you too

that being said, divine kinda sucks otherwise

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    here's where I'm at

sif is a lady!

also, divine weapons also perma kill skelemans, which is useful later for you too

that being said, divine kinda sucks otherwise

yeah I got it for that purpose, my primary is a lightning claymore

I started playing Remastered for the first time and wow the constant bellringing indeed

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    cp5mqr3locp1.jpg

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Kicking and jump attacks are just real finnicky in ds1, even after hundreds of hours of playing I don't get kicks to come out 100% of the time I want them.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    cp5mqr3locp1.jpg

airhorns.wav

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Sif’s namesake is a lady, the dog himself is not.

04xkcuvaav19.png
    I haven't heard any bell ringing.

I don't really know where I'm going, or where I'm meant to be going. I'm assuming if I can get through enemies that's the way I should go.

Should I be kindling bonfires?
    Platy wrote: »
    Would it be helpful if I made a tutorial on the basics of CQC

Yes please.

Kindling bonfires which are the nearest to bosses or at certain crossroads is generally very helpful

You don't need to kindle the Firelink bonfire though since there is an associated quest

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it only significantly improves your defenses if you're got a shitton of it. It's good for item farming and curse resistance, but otherwise I'd try not to carry a lot of liquid humanity around.

edited August 2020
    If you kill monsters in an area where the boss is still alive, you'll gain humanity (up to your counter reaching 10)

This means you don't have to worry about using it up for kindling and co-op

A few enemies will drop humanity items you can farm at any time, for example the rats

Platy on
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    If you come across a bonfire which gives you only 5 flask, generally it would be a good idea to kindle the bonfire for more if you are not familiar with the area

The crestfallen knight and certain npcs will vaguely give you some directions, don't be afraid to ask for more hints or google if you are stuck though

Edit:

Note to self:
    If you have 50k freaking souls use it first before you decide to be cocky and check out a place filled with lava

Peas on
    Ok something clicked and I finally feel like I know how the fighting works. Now I'm just regular bad instead of laughingly bad.

I met a giant minotaur who turned me into paste.

Man that black knight greatsword does some fuckin damage, huh?
    It's nice having enough poise damage to stunlock the snakemen in Sens to death, for once. Though stunlock might not be the right word. I feel like it implies a longer combo instead of just a 1-2.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    my first DS1 playthrough ever I got the black knight GS on the first black knight encounter and I think is sort of ruined the game for me lol

its wayyyyyyy too strong for something you can just luck into before the first boss

new londo ruins
    every person involved in the decision to fill this game with bossfights you're expected to attempt 5-10 times which also require 3-5 minutes of running to get back to can eat me

anyway the four kings are dead, that took like 8 tries

Is the black knight the guy downstairs in a corridor in the burg? Whoever that is I Do Not Like Them.

Is the black knight the guy downstairs in a corridor in the burg? Whoever that is I Do Not Like Them.

yup that's one of them

don't worry you're not meant to be able to beat him yet, you can ignore him for now

I ran past him and got the shiny thing and ran back so he killed me outside the corridor so I could retrieve my souls next time. Don't play hard play smart :cool:

Am I supposed to be able to defeat the minotaur thing now? It's hard to tell if I should try going a different way or if I just need to farm some souls and level up a bit

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Am I supposed to be able to defeat the minotaur thing now? It's hard to tell if I should try going a different way or if I just need to farm some souls and level up a bit
    Is that the first real boss, on like a castle wall?

I climbed up the tower the you first exit out of and just fall attack en over and over again.

I haven’t got that far this time so let me see if that still works.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

Yes

It's not a great first boss at all

If you still have some firebombs or gold pine resin, you can use them on him

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Taurus Demon is on the normal progression route, yes. There's some cheese you can do by paying attention to the environment. Also, it's totally possible for it to just kill itself of the edge if you're super lucky.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I have very few firebombs and I don't know what gold pine resin is. I will try the drop attack thing.

Also, I noticed my axe's durability is like 150/250. Does that mean it's doing less damage or is it just a countdown to it breaking? And how do I fix it? Also can I sell stuff or should I just dump all these extra cracked shields.

The merchant sells a key to one of the houses and there's a chest with three pieces of resin inside it

Some people use it to kill the Black Knight early

It adds additional elemental damage to your weapon but it wears off after a while

Just a countdown to it breaking! You can fix stuff either at a smith or at a bonfire if you buy the tools

You can sell off extra equipment for souls, yes

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    There’s a smith coming up soon for repairs in the next zone. I don’t think durability impacts damage until the weapon breaks completely?

Selling extra equipment is possible but it’ll be a while before you can.

rhylith on
    Ooooh I forgot it's less selling and more feeding in DS1

In that case you can just dump 'em or put them in the inventory box the merchant sells

Big thing for me when fighting Taurus Demon the first time was just realizing I could block his attacks. I just assumed I couldn't block a giant axe with a head larger than I am, but it turns out you can.
    Platy wrote: »
    Just a countdown to it breaking! You can fix stuff either at a smith or at a bonfire if you buy the tools

You can sell off extra equipment for souls, yes
    The tools can be bought from that merchant in the undead burg, by the way. It's called the repairbox. I think he also sells repair powder, which is a consumable and only repairs your weapon, but if you don't have the souls for the repairbox yet and desperately need your weapon repaired, they're a cheaper, one-use option.
    new londo ruins
    every person involved in the decision to fill this game with bossfights you're expected to attempt 5-10 times which also require 3-5 minutes of running to get back to can eat me

anyway the four kings are dead, that took like 8 tries
    When you've been doing boss runs, have you been fighting every enemy along the way, or just dashing past them?