As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Adventures in Lordran - or tales of brave Sir Onion

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The Taurus Demon is a pretty rough early hard skill check. They don't want you getting any further in the game unless you're really comfortable with the combat. Once you are, the fight is pretty easy, but there's no shame in getting hung up there on your first go. Tons of people do.

Grinding is always an option, though since the early weapons you have access to have weak scaling, you're gonna wanna focus on vitality and endurance; it's gonna be more about surviving longer in the fight than pumping up your damage.

In addition to the trick of dropping down on him, if you lure him up the big column he can sometimes fuck up and fall off. Tricks aside though, the taurus demon is especially vulnerable to a strategy that works pretty reliably against every big honkin monster in all of these games: get in underneath him and go nuts. He's so big that most of his attacks can't hit you if you cling to his legs, other than some stomping moves that he'll use to force you to back off. As soon as it's safe, get right back in there.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I did try hugging his butt the first time we met but it didn't end well. I haven't been back there yet because I thought maybe I was supposed to go down past that knight guy. Haha, no.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    The Taurus Demon is a pretty rough early hard skill check. They don't want you getting any further in the game unless you're really comfortable with the combat. Once you are, the fight is pretty easy, but there's no shame in getting hung up there on your first go. Tons of people do.

Grinding is always an option, though since the early weapons you have access to have weak scaling, you're gonna wanna focus on vitality and endurance; it's gonna be more about surviving longer in the fight than pumping up your damage.

In addition to the trick of dropping down on him, if you lure him up the big column he can sometimes fuck up and fall off. Tricks aside though, the taurus demon is especially vulnerable to a strategy that works pretty reliably against every big honkin monster in all of these games: get in underneath him and go nuts. He's so big that most of his attacks can't hit you if you cling to his legs, other than some stomping moves that he'll use to force you to back off. As soon as it's safe, get right back in there.

also, if in doubt strafe left

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I did try hugging his butt the first time we met but it didn't end well. I haven't been back there yet because I thought maybe I was supposed to go down past that knight guy. Haha, no.

Yeah it's not a silver bullet exactly, it still takes some time to get the hang of the combat rhythm that makes it a reliable strategy

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Hug the butt
    Wait for it
    Roll and attack the nuts

Peas on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    When fighting demons
    You prune faced skeleton man
    Always hug the butt

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    As a pyromancer, you can throw a fireball, roll backwards as he attacks, then repeat

And then you can climb the tower and finish him off with the plunging attack

• Options
    Or alternatively you can just hug his dick and really stick to that groin and most of his attacks won't be able to hit you

You can still block while his axe comes down, blocking his huge axe with the tiny handaxe is kinda hilarious

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Taurus Demon is great imo because of the multiple ways you can deal with him depending on your skill level or playstyle

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Something I found out in a Dark Souls speedrun is that you can stack a few other damage multipliers on those scripted plunging attacks you can do against the asylum and taurus demon. Like, you two hand your weapon, and then do one of those LS+RT lunging attacks, and all of those multipliers compound and it'll deal like half the boss's health in damage.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Big thing for me when fighting Taurus Demon the first time was just realizing I could block his attacks. I just assumed I couldn't block a giant axe with a head larger than I am, but it turns out you can.
    Platy wrote: »
    Just a countdown to it breaking! You can fix stuff either at a smith or at a bonfire if you buy the tools

You can sell off extra equipment for souls, yes
    The tools can be bought from that merchant in the undead burg, by the way. It's called the repairbox. I think he also sells repair powder, which is a consumable and only repairs your weapon, but if you don't have the souls for the repairbox yet and desperately need your weapon repaired, they're a cheaper, one-use option.
    Shorty wrote: »
    new londo ruins
    every person involved in the decision to fill this game with bossfights you're expected to attempt 5-10 times which also require 3-5 minutes of running to get back to can eat me

anyway the four kings are dead, that took like 8 tries
    When you've been doing boss runs, have you been fighting every enemy along the way, or just dashing past them?

I only fight the enemies I must

in this case that's none of them

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am super lost in Blighttown. Not sure where I should be going. Up? Down?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Down to the swamps which lie underneath

• Options
    yeah you want to be going in a generally downward direction

• Options

Just keep looking for ways to go deeper down

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

Just keep looking for ways to go deeper down
    If you see a clam you've gone too far.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    If everything you've seen so far gets spatially recontextualized, you've gone too far

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    DS1 Update:
    I made it to the bottom of Blighttown and found the bonfire. This mud sucks though. Is there something I can do to help with that?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Lots of spoilers
    The Iron Rusted Ring removes the movement speed penalty but it's in the Undead Asylum, you might need to look up on how to return there. There is a shortcut to the Firelink Shrine nearby but it has a few more guys with the toxic darts.

You don't necessarily need the ring to get to the second bell, but it helps with exploring that place at a later time.

Platy on
  • Options
    Lots of spoilers
    The Iron Rusted Ring removes the movement speed penalty but it's in the Undead Asylum, you might need to look up on how to return there. There is a shortcut to the Firelink Shrine nearby but it has a few more guys with the toxic darts.

You don't necessarily need the ring to get to the second bell, but it helps with exploring that place at a later time.
    I found that key already and think I know how to get back to the asylum. I might try for the shortcut.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I have DS1 Prepare to Die Edition on Steam - is there any advantage to getting the remastered version other than it just being more prettier?

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Blighttown general strategy
    if you picked up the evil eye ring in the sewers i just kept that on and kept killing the flies to refill health, since there's a fixed amount you get back regardless of enemy type, and those guys seem to just keep spawning

if you're a consumable items weirdo like me who buys 100 knives and firebombs it basically turns the last stretch of that stage into a non-issue

• Options
    Lots of spoilers

I found that key already and think I know how to get back to the asylum. I might try for the shortcut.
    I'd probably just beat the boss now and leave, and get the ring and explore later in the game. Going all the way back up, getting the ring, and then heading all the way back down is probably more work than just killing the boss and being done with it. And then later in the game when you're stronger, returning to explore will be easier.

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I have DS1 Prepare to Die Edition on Steam - is there any advantage to getting the remastered version other than it just being more prettier?

I'm not actually sure it's prettier but it has quality of life improvements and runs at 60 fps

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    afaik it's not a huge difference outside of online stuff, some bosses got more coherent animation and a couple(?) checkpoints and items were moved i believe

i think the main thing is that remastered will probably have a more active online community, and some multiplayer features like password matchmaking that the original release wouldn't. If that doesn't interest you i wouldn't bother.

• Options
    DS1 Update
    Too late! I already got through to the Valley of the Drakes and back to the Firelink. The uh fire lady is dead now. I also was trying to kindle the fire at the bottom of Blighttown and accidentally used ten humanity instead of the one. I was then immediately attacked by some red lady named Milfred it something. She is dead now. Going to make friends with this raven!

• Options
    DS1 Update
    Too late! I already got through to the Valley of the Drakes and back to the Firelink. The uh fire lady is dead now. I also was trying to kindle the fire at the bottom of Blighttown and accidentally used ten humanity instead of the one. I was then immediately attacked by some red lady named Milfred it something. She is dead now. Going to make friends with this raven!
    Boy I hope you rested at the undead church bonfire or something before you headed back to the asylum.

• Options
    Left is the original, right is Remastered, it feels like the person upscaling the textures didn't do all that great of a job and the new shaders make things look flatter

But having 60 fps out of the box is definitely an improvement

MKIo63U.jpg

• Options
    DS1 Update
    Boy I hope you rested at the undead church bonfire or something before you headed back to the asylum.

No? Nothing bad happened though.
    Couple of zombies and that dying knight from the beginning attacked me but I got his shield now. Found that ring and left. Was something supposed to happen?

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    DS1 Update

Couple of zombies and that dying knight from the beginning attacked me but I got his shield now. Found that ring and left. Was something supposed to happen?

you may have missed some stuff.

• Options
    DS1 Update

Kinda a spoiler, not a huge deal,
    If you just walk straight through the entry hall, the floor collapses beneath you and there's a beefier asylum demon with some new attacks. A lot of people, myself included, fall into this trap before they get to a bonfire in the asylum, respawn at a bonfire outside of it, and end up having to climb up to the crow all over again. If it had gotten you, I think you would've gone all the way back to the bottom of blighttown, yeah?

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Speaking of the Taurus Demon

DS3
    What was with the random one on the wall above the Farron Keep Swamp?

It definitely felt like a callback to the fight from DS1

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Veldrin wrote: »

DS3

He was originally a gatekeeper to the city of Lothric (remember the demon ride out of the city after Vordt, when you flash the right banner?) but like the other two you meet he's losing his flame and basically doing whatever the Demon equivalent of Hollowing is

mrpaku on
  • Options
    DS1 Update

If you just walk straight through the entry hall, the floor collapses beneath you and there's a beefier asylum demon with some new attacks. A lot of people, myself included, fall into this trap before they get to a bonfire in the asylum, respawn at a bonfire outside of it, and end up having to climb up to the crow all over again. If it had gotten you, I think you would've gone all the way back to the bottom of blighttown, yeah?

Oh.
    I ran around the outside of the courtyard because I was attacking a zombie. I actually used a homeward bone to go back to the bottom of Blighttown after thinking I got everything with that key. I am now working on that spider lady boss.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »

DS3

He was originally a gatekeeper to the city of Lothric (remember the demon ride out of the city after Vordt, when you flash the right banner?) but like the other two you meet he's losing his flame and basically doing whatever the Demon equivalent of Hollowing is

Well dang, now I feel bad for killing the guy :sad:

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    That's Dark Souls, baby

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    DS1 Update

Oh.
    I ran around the outside of the courtyard because I was attacking a zombie. I actually used a homeward bone to go back to the bottom of Blighttown after thinking I got everything with that key. I am now working on that spider lady boss.

Great use of a Homeward Bone. Did you check your old cell?

• Options
    DS1 Update

Oh.

Great use of a Homeward Bone. Did you check your old cell?

Doh. Guess I’ll go back eventually.

• Options
    UPDATE
    Did the painted realm. that's a weird area, but neat? it really seems like it should have been DLC or something, it's a little weird that it doesn't have anything to do with anything else in the game.

• Options
    AFAIK it's the prototype map/demo level