As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] Third Expansion Announced - End of Dragons! We're going to Cantha!

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I wish at this point I just had a notif for when any actual new content --- even if it was just a wee side story or whatever --- went up. There are many things I like about this game, but right now I'm deffo in a "so where's the plot at" mode.

Here's what they indicated is slated for release in Q3:

f6e6dEN_Q3Info.jpg
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-to-summer-days-and-nights/
    The next episode of The Icebrood Saga arrives at the end of July. If you’re feeling an unseasonable chill in the air, it may mean a trailer is on the way next week…

EDIT: Speculation on the mount ability is that skimmers will finally be able to dive underwater.

naengwen on
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Legendary light armor finished. Just need another 1k kralkatite for astral weapons, then the mastery insight victory lap for Vision. Hit silver wvw rank, one extra pip per tick! Going for warbringer next.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Found a tag that's been regularly running during my mornings (I think it's a euro crew running late). Been having fun following the herd - made it all the way up to Mithril this week before just running out of steam. I'm still abjectly terrible in combat, but I've been slowly figuring out how to contribute. I think I'll continue to make this part of my fun rotation when I get bored of PVE. The reward tracks aren't blowing my mind (I'm definitely more excited by pip chests), but I'll run through Triumphant again to see how it goes (I like getting that armor piece at the end, but the "on the way" rewards feel a little meh. My big blocker to "finishing" my exo suit for WvW is trailblazer weapons and jewelry. Maguuma lilies are horrifically expensive, so that's not gonna happen. Gonna have to keep an eye out for stat selectable stuff or grind out more LS3/4 mats to buy ascy stuff.

I'm very curious to see how they expand Drizzlewood. It seems so tightly looped - how do you choose between moving into the next phase of meta or going back to restarting Drizzle or do they only run 1:2:1:2? I'm not super impressed by this whole half map thing they did with Bjora, but content is content.

• LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular
    I'm expecting it'll be something akin to Silverwastes where they add an additional phase before the bonus loot phase; Vinewrath didn't used to be there!

edited July 2020
    Before I get distracted by the new patch.. one more update on my current insane "Go Big or Go home" project of Conflux, Howler, Meteorlogicus and some more raid armour

Mostly been doing WvW to accumulate skirmish tickets (though not great recently), and a lot of raids to get the large amount of missing LI. Updates highlighted in the cut

How's everyone else doing?
    Conflux Specific
    1357/1850 Skirmish tickets (outnumbered hunting ftw)
    1500/1500 Badges of Honour
    750/750 Testomonies of Heroics
    649/750 Memories of battle

Howler Specific
    Done!

Metor Specific
    Crafted Precursor
    0/1 World completion scroll.. 75%
    100/100 Charged Loadstones

Raid Armour Specific
    First Piece Done
    Second Precursor Done
    15/25 LI for Second needed

General
    151/261 Mystic clovers
    7/7 Gift of Battle
    some/lots of T3-6

[/quote]

Leandriell on
    Still haunting the wvw camps. (I run ghostly outfit and mad realm weapons =P) I think my next side project will be home instance cats. ^.^

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    I was looking at trying this out again, and wanted to fire off a new character to re-learn the game, but I have no free char slots. It looks like a new slot is $10 (based on gem prices), do those go on sale often where I should wait or just pull the trigger on that?

Additionally I now have a bunch of birthday reward dye packs, is there a good reasource on what packs I should be using that for (i.e. to get rarer/more valuable dyes)?

96058.png?1619393207
    The wiki has a cost breakdown for each birthday dye pack. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Birthday_Gift
    Character slots might go on sale for the anniversary next month.

• JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    I was looking at trying this out again, and wanted to fire off a new character to re-learn the game, but I have no free char slots. It looks like a new slot is $10 (based on gem prices), do those go on sale often where I should wait or just pull the trigger on that?

Additionally I now have a bunch of birthday reward dye packs, is there a good reasource on what packs I should be using that for (i.e. to get rarer/more valuable dyes)?

Going by the gem store history on the wiki page, it looks like character slot expansions commonly go on sale in August.

404 not found
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Thanks Guys. DLGamer (who is supposed to be Arenanet Authorized) has the POF expansion (which includes HOT) on sale low enough I might snag the deluxe upgrade which includes an extra char slot, then I can grab 1-2 more when they go on sale in the shop.

Some other questions:
    1. Planning on trying a Guardian (as I've never leveled one), Is there a recommended leveling build for them (or does it not matter really)?
    2. Are there any mods these days that I should be looking at? I added a dx9-dx12 patch I saw on the GW2 subreddit due to stuttering on my 5700xt (which this is designed to help apparently).
    3. I've seen people suggest that the 80 levelboost should be used even if you don't want to play that char right away just for the free mount? I could boost one of my older lowbie chars with it.
    4. Warriors are basically shit these days it sounds like, outside of being a banner bitch? My only 80 is my Charr Warrior :(

96058.png?1619393207
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    edited July 2020
    2 immediate thouhgts:

1) Holy majoley - the new combined meta is ridunkulous. It probably took 2-2.5 hours to complete fully from opening Drizzlewood to finishing [spoilers]. Utterly insane and completely not fun at all. I have to take a moment to breathe and think about what I just spent time doing. It was such a sloppy mess of laggy group fights where we pretty much just killed portals and people endlessly - no challenge or process at all. Just kill, open generic chest, repeat 67 times. Dragonfall had SO much more flavor (and I hate Dragonfall).

2) BL chests now drop bags that drop exotics, and people are just cleaning up on precursors from them.

All in all, a very weird patch day.

Straygatsby on
    Game crash RIGHT at the end of the combined meta :(

Oh good lord, that's awful. I'm so sorry. It is soooo long!

Oh good lord, that's awful. I'm so sorry. It is soooo long!

Yeah :( We're having some serious internet problems here at the house, and so suuuuper long shit like this just... really isn't a thing. I'm going to try a few more times but given that it's almost three freaking hours long, I don't think I'm ever gonna get the Claw.

Played it once more today just to see if it felt any better. Nope - still terrible. Might as well be procedurally generated (and to some extent, is). In addition, I don't know if it's code optimization, an influx of dyed skyscales dragging everything down, or all of that combined with the map itself (which is beautiful but...busy), the video lag is horrific. I can run a full on triple zerg in wvw or a full map HoT meta with little issue, but I'm chunking my ass around north Drizzlewood during the tribune segments. I think it's just too much stuff on the screen.

The one upside to it is that it seems almost impossible to fail, which is a nice change after seeing how Drakkar has aged. The loot collection phases are just awful as well (and SO boring!). I assume there's meta/map specific loot aside from commendationss, but I haven't seen anything but the standard UIDs (and the blood, which I haven't really researched at all yet).

I don't want to sound overly negative - the patch itself rocks, and the story lead up is getting spicy (if predictable). I'm super psyched to see where it goes, but I don't think many people will bother completing this meta after they get their cheevos unless they are specifically looking to fill out their mat banks. It is absolutely lovely for that, but wow, you gotta put in the work (or time).

Played it once more today just to see if it felt any better. Nope - still terrible. Might as well be procedurally generated (and to some extent, is). In addition, I don't know if it's code optimization, an influx of dyed skyscales dragging everything down, or all of that combined with the map itself (which is beautiful but...busy), the video lag is horrific. I can run a full on triple zerg in wvw or a full map HoT meta with little issue, but I'm chunking my ass around north Drizzlewood during the tribune segments. I think it's just too much stuff on the screen.

The one upside to it is that it seems almost impossible to fail, which is a nice change after seeing how Drakkar has aged. The loot collection phases are just awful as well (and SO boring!). I assume there's meta/map specific loot aside from commendationss, but I haven't seen anything but the standard UIDs (and the blood, which I haven't really researched at all yet).

I don't want to sound overly negative - the patch itself rocks, and the story lead up is getting spicy (if predictable). I'm super psyched to see where it goes, but I don't think many people will bother completing this meta after they get their cheevos unless they are specifically looking to fill out their mat banks. It is absolutely lovely for that, but wow, you gotta put in the work (or time).

I honestly think the entire thing could be improved by:

1) moving the ENTIRE loot collection phase to the end (seriously why did they change this? "loot at the end" is at the end FOR GOOD REASON! It gives people a breather AND THEY CAN LEAVE IF THEY DON'T CARE) [this would shave 15 minutes off the whole slog]
    2) halving the time it takes to take south shit
    3) also halving the time it takes to take north shit

As for the fucking clusterfuck of -- people can whine all they want about "GW2 only uses a single core" or whatever but I really think this section is showing the engine's age, the horrible reliance on that single core, and just.

My PC is not a slouch, okay? I can run Remedy Games' Control at maximum settings. This game causes massive chug and lag, ESPECIALLY in the North part of the meta. I don't know what fucking weird rigs they're testing on but I guarantee they've got chug at home. The game needs a full engine overhaul, and, unfortunately, Anet as a company doesn't have the capital for it.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Taking south is actually incredibly fast if people use their war supplies to build bases. You can go from base to base with <5 minutes between each.

North can be slightly optimised by splitting for the first four tribunes, and then people bringing more ballistae for the Ruinbringer.

Since pugs do neither of these things, the map takes 3 hours.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    Home instance cat update, missing all but 3 now. Simon, Bee dog, and Whiskington. (waiting on the friday/wednesday food vendor for the last)

(my home instance has a lot of cats. =P)

Festival of the Four Winds starts up tomorrow, and remember that thing I said about underwater skimmers?

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/dive-into-adventure-with-your-skimmer/

spoilers from last episode
    Bangar Ruinbringer is finally saying things. Go talk to him if you finished the episode.

Frig, I started a new guy on a more populated server because I wasn't finding any daytime/later day WvW (great morning Euro crew, but I won't be WFH forever), but I didn't realize there is a cooldown in place for worldhoppers. Makes sense, but I hope it clear before this week's event. It says one whole match, but I'm not sure if coming in midway means I have to wait until next, next week. Gotta get my pips, yo! My crappy dire gear and anemic confrontational abilities hunger.

I leaned my build towards reflect. My tiny asura charges at rangers, deadeyes and bomb engineers like a honey badger. <3

The festival has been glorious for making money - selling of lots of old mithril at double the usual price for a start :) other good sells to check are copper, green wood, hard wood and linen!

Don't open boxes folks, it's not worth it! Make money from the people doing it instead :D

Getting there on the funds for my crazy 5 legendary plan! Rest in the cut.
    How's everyone else doing?
    Conflux Specific
    1494/1850 Skirmish tickets
    1500/1500 Badges of Honour
    750/750 Testomonies of Heroics
    750/750 Memories of battle

Howler Specific
    Done!

Metor Specific
    Crafted Precursor
    0/1 World completion scroll.. 78%
    100/100 Charged Loadstones

Raid Armour Specific
    First Piece Done
    Second Precursor Done
    4 LI to go!

General
    162/261 Mystic clovers - finally <100 to go!
    7/7 Gift of Battle
    some/lots of T3-6

The festival is actually fun enough that I'm trying to finish out the larger meta achievements. And unlike many of the other recent achievement things, these feel doable. You don't HAVE to do 100% of them (I CANNOT get that Griffon Gold one lol) and most of the longer ones are actually fun in some way.

I also finished T1 of the Juggernaut for giggles. Doubt I'll move on to T2; I really don't feel like dealing with that grind. Part of me wants to do Juggernaut, Kudzu, Chuka and Champawat, and Minstrel at least up until their small bonus dealies (the gizmos & garden), but then I'm like wow I really do not care to do the material grind for that. I'm a hyper casual at GW2 now (My main game these days is honestly Warframe)

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So I've gotten back into this with my brother, picked up the expansion and made some new characters. Serendipitous I was already on Fort Aspenwood.

I will have to admit to spending more money than I should to buy extra character slots.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    Welcome back to the mad house! Do you or your brother need guild invites?

• AdventAdvent Registered User regular
    Skyscoot achieved. Next stop.. gryphon?

• Major TheefMajor Theef Registered User regular
    I just picked this up again after a 3-4 year break and would like an invite to NICE please.

Major Theef.3794

Thanks!

Invite sent!

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I don't know about my brother, he's playing more casually on and off.

I personally would love an invite.

I'm LordAsmodeus.1483

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    Expansion teaser to the third expansion, "End of Dragons:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBD807HxU2w
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/end-of-dragons/

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The Jade Sea does allow them a good way to have Bubbles around but not have the entire thing set underwater.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    I don't really play anymore, except to log in and claim the living story chapters. Logged on recently because I figured the birthday thing was coming up (and I was right).
    ZyaWZSK.png
    I know it's not the game's fault, but man... having not played for 2 years, logging in and ending up with this as my inventory... does not make me want to get back into playing because I'd need to take hours looking up what still matters, what doesn't, what is a "keep if you want to make ____" and what is a "just sell that."

Perrsun wrote: »
    I don't really play anymore, except to log in and claim the living story chapters. Logged on recently because I figured the birthday thing was coming up (and I was right).
    ZyaWZSK.png
    I know it's not the game's fault, but man... having not played for 2 years, logging in and ending up with this as my inventory... does not make me want to get back into playing because I'd need to take hours looking up what still matters, what doesn't, what is a "keep if you want to make ____" and what is a "just sell that."

You can get rid of all your food, ascended cooking devalued the rest like crazy and you can just rebuy what you need off the TP. Sell your utilities as well, after the balance changes the only ones that matter as much anymore are the sharpening stones and toxic focusing crystals. Trash any that aren't top tier, you'll get more on your alts if you level those up anyways.

Sell your halloween candy. Its stupid cheap and you can get more in the next year's labyrinth anyways. Same with your wintersday valuables and your new year materials. Just doing those first two is like half your inventory gone.

Condense your holiday invitations if you signed in for all of them over the past year (the ascended amulet thingy?) and bury the extras on an alt somewhere if you want.

Just use your dye packs, if you don't wanna bother just use them in order of most expensive dyes to least, the prices drop off dramatically after the most recent kits.

Elder wood is still handy, keep those and any other T5 or T6 crafting mats though those have been pretty heavily devalued thanks to Drizzlewood.

Set up a bank alt to move your ascended weapons and armor to. Do something similar for your unused skins, you probably won't use them. Any story trophies (like that dwarf thumb for example) you can move to the bank alt too.

Move your endless tonics to novelties then trash them, along with your instruments like the bells.

Hope that helps :)

• Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    The game does have a ridiculous number of currencies that are only used in a single map. For the longest time this just put me off playing because my inventory was full of them and I didn't know if I'd use them or could just trash them.

In the end I just trashed everything because I'm never going back to that one season 3 map to collect more doodads.

Cobalt60 wrote: »
    The game does have a ridiculous number of currencies that are only used in a single map. For the longest time this just put me off playing because my inventory was full of them and I didn't know if I'd use them or could just trash them.

In the end I just trashed everything because I'm never going back to that one season 3 map to collect more doodads.

Aye, thats a good point that I didn't bring up - there are approximately 2 occurrences over the past 3 years where one of those collectibles became relevant in the story later on. One was a current event LW3, and they just gave you another one if you didn't keep the original item. The other is the recent upgradeable weapon sets, and for those they let you rebuy the ones you trashed for some small amount of karma/map currency. The only reason I mentioned the bank alt thing is in the edge case where you're worried about having a collection you didn't finish from before you took a break, and aren't sure if it's still relevant after. Mostly they just let you reobtain the items for next to 0 cost, but if you're still worried that its the one case where it isn't then sure, stash it all on a dedicated character and don't think about it until you actually do find yourself doing that collection again.

I don't have much reference as I wasn't a GW1 player, but I'm really hoping this ends up being a "fun" expansion. That is, colorful, hopeful, positive. The teaser certainly sent a good vibe. With everything else going on and given the last few expacs and seasons, I think it's time for a super chill romp. As much as I enjoyed boiling our friends in blighting fluid and flame-y murder gods running rampant, I wouldn't mind a little more upbeat this time around, even if it's a climactic expac. It doesn't have to be saccharine - but maybe at least give me Braham's praise joko moment a few more times than the last few adventures.