As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Blood Bowl] Triple Skulls Every Time

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    So rumors are we get a bb3 trailer around 5pm eastern today ( from gamescom) . Predictions ? Thoughts ? Profanity filled rants ?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Probably similar to the leaked 2020 rules? As they said in 2018 or so, I think. Maybe a nice trailer?

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Probably similar to the leaked 2020 rules? As they said in 2018 or so, I think. Maybe a nice trailer?

The rules are a given but I was more referring to # of stadiums, teams initially available overall presentation etc. since those are things that matter in a video game but won’t matter in tabletop.

• Options
    Ah, yeah. Although the unless there's an extra book coming out with the next tabletop edition, the tt version is about to lose all its stadiums and sponsors. It matters a little bit :)

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Ah, yeah. Although the unless there's an extra book coming out with the next tabletop edition, the tt version is about to lose all its stadiums and sponsors. It matters a little bit :)

Oh there’s more coming out, that’s for sure. GW, remember? They’ve got Spike magazines and Deathblow and journals to fill.
    I do hope this means they get around to making a proper Dungeonbowl box at some point.
    Actually that’d be a fabulous extra mode for the vidyagame…

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    You could probably play a nice round of Dungeonbowl on that new warcry map they just previewed. But yeah I wouldn't bet against the theoretical next big box to be Dungeonbowl with some more completely new teams.

• Options
    Also, is there any reason you can’t use the existing stadiums and sponsors with the new edition? I don’t recall them doing anything that the changed rules actually breaks?

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Anyone want to bet that BB3 looks like a massive step backwards from 2, with reduced content, and few noticeable improvements?

Since that was what 2 looked like compared to 1.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Anyone want to bet that BB3 looks like a massive step backwards from 2, with reduced content, and few noticeable improvements?

They are going for the Madden football experience.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I hope not, but I am expecting it.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Looks like the special pitch rules are carrying over, going by that dark elf bit in the video.

Other than an update to the art style, the graphics look very similar to Blood Bowl II.

I'm curious to see, from afar, how much of a horrible jank-fest the game will be on launch.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    The new jump rule is going to change agility team way of playing something fierce, right? It seems like the standard defence line ups against high ag offence mostly leave the center behind the line of scrimmage pretty open with the expectation that even a downed player will gum up the road for the offence. That might no longer work. Going to be really interesting trying out all the changes

edit:
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Also, is there any reason you can’t use the existing stadiums and sponsors with the new edition? I don’t recall them doing anything that the changed rules actually breaks?

off the top of my head: Several of the stadium effects do something with fame and fans, which works differently in the new rules, fame doesn't exist anymore. Steelhelm sponsorship also doesn't work anymore because stat ups work differently (Steelhelm's is utterly broken anyway and was banned in our league after one season)

I put my last 3 seasons with elven union into an excel sheet to see how the redraft money changes and pretty much regardless of performance (upper third of league, lower half of league, champion + most TD) the new rules would have increased the redraft money by about 40-60k.
    Match winnings during the season are a bit harder to compare, but for the first season TDx10k + 20k (average of the d3) + 10k (minimum of fans) would have increased the winnings by 20k over the course of the season.
    On the other hand, even just after the first season the new agent fees would have increased tho cost of the roster considerably, like just keeping two blitzers, two catchers and a thrower would've cost an additional 100k. Keeping those 5 players after two seasons would cost 200k.
    So that might be a wash in the end

Oh, and you roll for healing niggling injuries and stat decreases of temporarily retired players after rehiring, so that is a pretty big gamble, even moreso because you also have to spend money to rehire the Apo for the +1 on the roll.

honovere on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Speaking of stadium effects, saw this Kickstarter that looks pretty fun. Stands and fans for Blood bowl.
    Not too bad at 15 euro for the stand and the fans as STL files, apparently they are in the process of arranging a professional 3D printing service to do minis for those without a printer.

fb52ba598cb14124bfb77e7c90fb4c9e_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=680&fit=max&v=1598896355&auto=format&frame=1&q=92&s=8724881592f1cd065d96ca85e5d4843d
    zu3sf18c88dh.png
    68ab2042050abbcb30c158c4de40e9cb_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=680&fit=max&v=1598896322&auto=format&frame=1&q=92&s=1db2582b6f1716b58987671d16add13c

[edit]Ah, thought that was more for your own kickstarters.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    That is very cool, but I think we're still forbidden from linking active kickstarter projects on the forums.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I only want one fan
    1o6regvg0hg4.jpg

• Options
    I am playing blood bowl with a bunch of friends who never played it before. They are SO TERRIBLE and SO ENTHUSIASTIC.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD.

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    its always fun playing with new players cause they haven't picked up any of the old habits or ball killing etc, so they just go for 1 dice blocks and go for its and dodges that they shouldn't even be thinking about. Watched Ashe play blitz bowl, seems like a fun quick game, with elements of bloodbowl. I know it says 12+ but i think my 10 year old would beable to handle it.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    At first I was a bit apprehensive at the way star layers are handled in the next edition whith them being much more widely available to different teams, like Roxanna playing for all the elves and Helmut playing for everyone, but I've come around and now I'm looking forward to the kitbashing and conversion possibilities for differnt versions of Helmut for example, big skink with chainsaw and such. We'll probably get a bunch more old and new star players some way or the other but who knows when.

• Options
    Me, personally, I’m all for that and I’ll use the official minis when I can because I like the idea that the Star Players are genuine freebooters that register with a particular league commission and can therefore be drafted by anyone in that league.

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Me, personally, I’m all for that and I’ll use the official minis when I can because I like the idea that the Star Players are genuine freebooters that register with a particular league commission and can therefore be drafted by anyone in that league.

Yeah, that works well, too. I just enjoy kitbashing, and it's a good excuse.

• Options
    Oof. Well, our first season went pretty well. A lot of folks learned a lot of things and most had a good time. A few folks took it really personally when they had their teams ground into dust, which stinks, but I planned a short season for folks to be able to withdraw if they found the game wasn't fun.

My halfling team finished solid middle of the pack with a 50% win rate, which I felt like was my real win. I was trying not to overdo it with being the veteran players so focused on doing silly shit, and we definitely had a high rate of spiking halflings into the ground all season. That we managed some wins was bonus.

• Options
    Everyone I know has fun playing with or against halflings.

There are a surprising amount of players I have run into where I think, that maybe, if the roll of a dice makes you that angry, maybe this isn't the right game for you.

• Options
    Everyone I know has fun playing with or against halflings.

There are a surprising amount of players I have run into where I think, that maybe, if the roll of a dice makes you that angry, maybe this isn't the right game for you.

Had someone once throw one of his own minis during a game. I felt so bad. It was late in the second and had eased off on pushing as hard; but he was stressed and trying to make a comeback so he was taking bigger and bigger risks. IT was just a really bad dice day and I think the breaking point was an injury on either a go for it or a failed dodge.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    So far I encountered mostly thrown dice and yelling. Really brings down the game for everyone involved.

I rather have a game where my dice are cursed (in addition to my own mistakes) but both players are good hearted about it than a game that is easy to win but where the opponent can't deal with a few bad rolls. Because that then mostly turns to the rest of the game with them starting to make more and more mistakes of their own, because they're so angry and frustrated that it just escalates. It always ends with just rah, rah, I'm the better player actually, it's just the dice, rah, rah - sure dude, I'll just pack my team and am off, enjoy yourself.

unrelated: I wish the Badlands were a bit more defined in the Background of WHF. Not a lot of place names there, especially if you take out the Dwarven ones. Maybe I'll just go with the West Badland Gargants (Birthplace of da Badlands Brawl) (West Orkshire might be a bit too on the nose and shire doesn't sound all that orky)

edit:
    First draft for the planned Black Orc team. Got to work on it a bit more, colours and such.
    jt3c8rutvkx5.png

honovere on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I've come across a guy like that. After every bad roll (or card flip rather, it was Malifaux) he'd leap up and walk away from the table ranting for a while, before returning and carrying on. He seemed fine after getting it out of his system and I guess just had no emotional impulse control. I certainly avoided ever playing him again though as it was deeply uncomfortable to witness.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    The player I oof most was a graceful sport and played well the entire game, but let me know after they wouldn't be returning as they found it too frustrating. Which ultimately is fair, though it made me feel bad that I couldn't guarantee everyone a fun time.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I have had only one experience that bad, in a playoff to get into the post-season. We'd already played each other 3 times that season too. But his dice collapsed on him at the end at the same time mine were getting hot. Lots of yelling and cursing.

It honestly freaked me out a little. I mean, I understood the frustration, but it was uncomfortable. He was fine after the game ended but definitely a yikes moment.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    managed to lose 0:3 with 3:4 casualties with Orcs against Ogres :redface:

In my defence, I had some pretty bad dice - 3 snakeyes and two double skulls within two turns for example - , an AG3 and an AG4! Ogre on the other side. Still, I screwed up at least 2 or three times, too rooted in the elf playstile of the last seasons.

Fun game though. thrown goblin faceplanted his gfi into the endzone, ogre to ogre pass for the third TD.

Edit: to expand on the goblin faceplanting. Due to playing on ice he then skid off the pitch and was beaten up by the crowd for a badly hurt. Also due to the ice the ball he lost when he faceplanted scattered an additional square into a gnoblar who of course managed to catch it. An amazing sequence to watch, I'm sure. Very looney tunes

honovere on
  • Options
    GW on Twitch just went through their official preview of the new edition. Nothing really surprising to those of us who lived through The Leak, but interesting to note Spike is going to continue with new releases, and the next issue, for Necromantic teams, will be the first to support the new ruleset. I missed them talking about the release date, but the preview page itself mentions November.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/10/17/the-warhammer-preview-online-sports-and-skirmish/

• Options
    No news about continuing support for the teams of legend though. I sure hope GW puts out a pdf for all the missing teams.

• Options
    No news about continuing support for the teams of legend though. I sure hope GW puts out a pdf for all the missing teams.

If nothing else, I'm confident that someone in the NAF will eventually step in with a stop-gap solution. Without having the rules handy, I wonder if it would be as simple as giving positions from the missing teams a Passing stat equivalent to what they'd get from their AG, and letting everything else be. It probably wouldn't work out to be a perfectly balanced solution, but then the Teams of Legend PDF didn't make all of those teams perfectly modern, either.

• Options
    I need that Dwarf Referee. Hopefully he is a stand alone purchase and not boxed in with the main set.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Ken O wrote: »
    I need that Dwarf Referee. Hopefully he is a stand alone purchase and not boxed in with the main set.

They were showing off the boxed set content and nothing else. They may become available separately later.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    The refs are either going to be the most expensive or cheapest model from the box hitting ebay.

I wonder what the box will cost with GW current price policy. The old box was 90€. Two teams, a pitch, an Almanach, a set of dice are currently around 160€.
    The new box also has two big guys, two star players, the refs. That puts the contents way above the 200€ mark if bought seperately. I would hope the box aims for something like 125€ but I expect it to be closer to 175€

honovere on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    WOOOP! WOOOP! WOOOP!
    Release date announcement:
    Pre-order on November 14th is the Second Season boxed set, Blood Bowl: The Official Rules (in hardback and ePub editions), the Wolfenurg Crypt Stealers, Treeman, gaming accessories and from Forge World...

124067940_1301204410245330_8179785524028173065_o.jpg

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    Yeah, zolcath is one of forgeworld's better star player I think. I think I'm gonna bus the boxset.

The necro team, pitch, and dice are all great looking.

No word about teams of legends though.
    The special play card set seems to include all the sets this time around?
    And repackaged teams makes me dread another price increase.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Got info from a very trustworthy source that the box is going to be around 100€, maybe a bit more, which seems like a pretty good deal compared to the contents:
    2 teams: ~70€
    pitch: ~37€
    troll and ogre: ~41€
    So that alone is already almost 150€ and you also get the rules, 2 star players, 2 refs, dice, etc.. Maybe 50% off off in the end, or in other words you pay for the pitch and the two team boxes, rest is free.

honovere on
  • Options
    105€ is what I heard, which is £80 or US$130 under the current scheme, translated using the Penumbral Stormvault price. Add in the 25% discount from my favoured retailer and it’s a day 1 purchase for me.

• Options
    I only get about 5€ off, but I want to support the local shop a bit, because it's a fantastic place for playing and basically organises our league. Gotta throw them a bone every once in a while.