As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Homeowner/House] Thread. How long is it going to take? Two weeks!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah they're not great, but still better than doing 18 loads over a whole day in one of those smaller units.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Washer started making a high pitched whining noise.

Washer started emitting smoke.

Washer smells like something electrical burned out.

*sigh*

I wager this one might be beyond the repairman.

Edit: Taking all recommendations now. Preferably stackable, ideally top loading dryer/washer unit.

If you would rather rebuild than replace, https://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp/How-To-Fix-A-Washing-Machine/39---/Washer-Is-Making-Loud-Noise may help... but while it helped me keep some appliances going far longer than if I needed to pay a repairman, the whole smelling like smoke thing may mean replacement is more likely...

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I looked at all in ones but they’re still not great in terms of reliability.

Being a bit smaller isn’t much of an issue since we don’t have kids.

If we end up with another stackable I’m leaning towards Electrolux.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah they're not great, but still better than doing 18 loads over a whole day in one of those smaller units.

We had an all-in-one in our condo, and it was terrible. Yeah, you could do small loads of laundry but good luck getting anything more than t-shirts and underwear to dry properly.

Winter clothes in the Chicago area? Never going to dry in one of those. We used ours for t-shirts, underwear and socks and everything else we did in the building's laundry room even though we had to pay $1.25 per load and always have quarters on hand.

I wouldn't use an all-in-one unless you have absolutely no other choice. And even then don't expect to be happy with it.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Looks like I have to replace a shitty DIY saddle valve in the basement if I want my damn fridge to get any water. My general rule is don't fuck with plumbing, but I'm curious to know if any of youse have done anything similar.

Going to apparently have to fight my home warranty company (American Home Shield - don't use 'em let me tell you what) to fix it, but if I lose I'm looking at $500 to get a pro to do it. Bah.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Bad news: Washer is busted.

Good news: After talking about it we agreed it'll have to be a stacked set, but otherwise my wife said she leaves getting a new set entirely up to me. I am so old I am excited at the prospect of reviewing different washers and dryers.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Looks like I have to replace a shitty DIY saddle valve in the basement if I want my damn fridge to get any water. My general rule is don't fuck with plumbing, but I'm curious to know if any of youse have done anything similar.

Going to apparently have to fight my home warranty company (American Home Shield - don't use 'em let me tell you what) to fix it, but if I lose I'm looking at $500 to get a pro to do it. Bah.

Saddle valves are crap. Get it replaced with a proper tee fitting with a service stop. I would hire a plumber to do it. I don't think it should cost you $500 but even if it did, worth it I think. Saddle valves are basically time bombs in your plumbing.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular

Saddle valves are crap. Get it replaced with a proper tee fitting with a service stop. I would hire a plumber to do it. I don't think it should cost you $500 but even if it did, worth it I think. Saddle valves are basically time bombs in your plumbing.

Yeah that's what I'm learning. Talked to another plumber who quoted me $175 to do it properly - t, ball valve, etc - so might go that way.

Looks like I could use a compression/push fit T? Also might just grab my blowtorch and learn to solder copper.

• Options
    https://www.costco.com/lg-4.5cuft-front-load-washer-and-7.4cuft-electric-dryer-with-wifi-capability-with-optional-pedestals.product.100430236.html

After pouring over reviews, I've gone with the above LG model minus the pedestals. Costco will deliver, install, and haul away the old ones. I love Costco.

The wifi feature is stupid but whatever.

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    If the soldering doesn't work out, SharkBite plumbing fittings are shockingly easy to use.

• Options
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    If the soldering doesn't work out, SharkBite plumbing fittings are shockingly easy to use.

So that's pretty much what I've discovered doing a bit of research. Pretty pissed that the guy here this morning didn't just suggest that. I feel like these guys are running some kind of scam with the warranty company quite honestly.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Bad news: Washer is busted.

Good news: After talking about it we agreed it'll have to be a stacked set, but otherwise my wife said she leaves getting a new set entirely up to me. I am so old I am excited at the prospect of reviewing different washers and dryers.

We recently had to replace our washer when we moved and got a super efficient LG that's kind of a spaceship compared to the whirlpool (I think) we had for many years before. The water usage difference, depending on how old your last one was, is absolutely stunning (and I'm not even talking about an expensive model).

• Options
    Yeah this place came with an LG dryer and Samsung washer, both which are leagues beyond the stuff I've been using as a renter.

They both sing to me when they're done with their cycles for christsake!

I've heard mixed stuff about Samsung appliances but I guess we'll see.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Yeah this place came with an LG dryer and Samsung washer, both which are leagues beyond the stuff I've been using as a renter.

Samsung is pretty bad as far as appliances go, sometimes for shoddy designs, but always because they discontinue replacement parts after like 3-4 years making long term repair impossible. Hell, when I was looking up appliance repair guys on Yelp recently, I'd say more than half had big disclaimers that they won't work on Samsung appliances at all. LG are more reliable from what I've heard, but if you do need repair, it can sometimes take 4-8 weeks to get the proper parts since LG has no robust distribution chain stateside for their parts.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »

Samsung is pretty bad as far as appliances go, sometimes for shoddy designs, but always because they discontinue replacement parts after like 3-4 years making long term repair impossible. Hell, when I was looking up appliance repair guys on Yelp recently, I'd say more than half had big disclaimers that they won't work on Samsung appliances at all. LG are more reliable from what I've heard, but if you do need repair, it can sometimes take 4-8 weeks to get the proper parts since LG has no robust distribution chain stateside for their parts.

Samsung also has their "approved service" bullshit, for a lot of appliance parts they'll only sell to certified repair companies. It's very Apple-like, and another reason I hate Samsung.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I've had a Samsung washer and gas dryer for 10 years, a Samsung stove for 6 years, and a Samsung fridge for 4 years. Besides the belt slipping off the drum in the dryer when it got super imbalanced by a comforter, which was fixed by removing a few screws and taking the shell off the dryer and yanking the belt back up, I haven't had a single problem with any of them.

Of course, stating this publicly means they've probably all simultaneously caught fire.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    I bought a GE top loader washing machine this spring, and so far I couldn't be happier with it. Thought about getting a dryer as well, but the old one still works pretty good so there wasn't much point for me yet.

• Options
    General reviews I've seen rank Samsung up there with LG and Whirlpool in terms of reliability.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    My LG washer and dryer have worked like champs for 5 or so years now, not a single problem. My LG fridge makes a horribly loud buzzing noise at irregular intervals but otherwise I've had no problems. My LG OLED TV has pretty bad image uniformity issues. So... it's kindof a crap shoot with LG stuff. Sometimes it's great, sometimes not so much.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Well, after fucking around with the saddle valve a little bit, I have flow to my water dispenser. Very, very little flow, but at least it's continuous. Went out and bought the sharkbite ice dispenser kit anyway after reading about how crap saddle valves are.Forgot to buy the deburr/depth gauge though. Doh.

Also got a pressure test valve to see if I can fuck around the the pressure reduction valve and get some higher water pressure up in here. No dice so far. Getting 60PSI from multiple taps, and fucking around with the control screw doesn't seem to be doing anything. Oh well.

Yay amateur plumbing!

firewaterword on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My LG washer and dryer have worked like champs for 5 or so years now, not a single problem. My LG fridge makes a horribly loud buzzing noise at irregular intervals but otherwise I've had no problems. My LG OLED TV has pretty bad image uniformity issues. So... it's kindof a crap shoot with LG stuff. Sometimes it's great, sometimes not so much.

For the fridge... does it have an in freezer icemaker? Is it hooked up to water? If its not then make sure the icemaker is off. We have a fridge where it took me over a month to figure out that the loud grumbly sound was an empty ice maker trying to cycle.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    My fiancee and I are trying to find a place but the market is just insane around here.

We've basically accepted that we'll need to save up and hope things slow down, if at all.

Price of living near Kansas City, I guess.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    In case anyone was wondering, southern california is still insane.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Manhattan-Beach/622-Rosecrans-Ave-90266/home/6708640

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

For the fridge... does it have an in freezer icemaker? Is it hooked up to water? If its not then make sure the icemaker is off. We have a fridge where it took me over a month to figure out that the loud grumbly sound was an empty ice maker trying to cycle.

It's not the ice maker, that is hooked up and running. I took the back panel off the fridge and found the noise was coming from inside the compressor.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Uhhh, on Rosecrans? I know that name from all the gangsta rap that talks about how much gang violence, street prostitution, drug dealing, and drive-by shootings there are in the area.

Are there TWO Rosecrans'es's in LA?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Uhhh, on Rosecrans? I know that name from all the gangsta rap that talks about how much gang violence, street prostitution, drug dealing, and drive-by shootings there are in the area.

Rosecrans is a very long street, it goes all the way from the beach to basically Disneyland.

MB is one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in LA but it's funny because that house is literally across the street from a Cheveron oil refinery and water waste treatment plant.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Soon Summer will end, and I will be left alone in the dark in a hopeless defense against 8 ancient oaks and their legion of leaves seeking to infest every livable space, every gutter nook, and every deck cranny. Only I and my trusty leaf blower/sucker choppy thingy, my holy crap how is this full already yard waste bin, and a lot of beer will endure this siege. Leaf Fall is coming, and I am not prepared.

I think whoever said something about life or land being incomplete without trees had someone else tending their orchards.

• Options
    Soon summer will end and these fucking ants will be fucking dead fuck all of you get out of my house I don’t care how much it’s raining you formicidae fucks

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Man you all must be southerners, summer has already ended for us northerners*. It's been in the 50's the past few nights, leaves are already changing over. It's fall! Not looking forward to raking, I have a massive 200+ year old oak in my yard.

*Northerners being anywhere north of New York*

StarZapper on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    StarZapper wrote: »
    Man you all must be southerners, summer has already ended for us northerners*. It's been in the 50's the past few nights, leaves are already changing over. It's fall! Not looking forward to raking, I have a massive 200+ year old oak in my yard.

I'm not falling for it. I know the second I take the fan out of my window, that's when the next heat wave hits and I have to shamefully shove it back in.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

It is 92 degrees in the Chicago area right now. Thankfully this weekend it's supposed to drop to a high below 80. This whole week was in the 90s and I am over it. Everybody's lawns are dying from the combination of heat and lack of rain, but thankfully only one of our neighbors has been trying to water theirs. Everybody else seems to just accept whatever the weather brings.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

I'm north of Toronto and it's 90+ here and gonna be 100+ this coming week.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

Rosecrans is a very long street, it goes all the way from the beach to basically Disneyland.

MB is one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in LA but it's funny because that house is literally across the street from a Cheveron oil refinery and water waste treatment plant.

Yeah no way you're getting into Tree Section for under a million.

So glad we pulled up stakes and got the F out of coastal LA. I don't regret the time I spent in Venice but jesus christmas it's good to be out. Colorado has its own challenges but the quality of life is wildly better. Paying a mortgage that's nearly a quarter of what it cost to rent a 2 bed 2 bath on Lincoln, that, once you stepped out of the gates, was Junkietown USA. Don't miss it.

ANYWAY! As far as the continued adventures of an amateur plumber: the day took a turn for the interesting when I ended up fixing the disposal in my girlfriend's apartment. Figured it out - removed the p trap and flushed the wastewater line to the disposal - without making that huge of a mess!

Protip: don't try to jam a pound of expired raw kale into a garbage disposal.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Man, Home Depot trips can get expensive very quick, even if you're just doing a minor purchase.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    PEGBOARDS! The way, the truth, the light!

2lbptlRl.jpg

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

2lbptlRl.jpg

Just doesn’t seem space efficient. Rather have shelving I think. I have the same problem with the drawers on the tool chest. Do I put down foam with cutouts for each tool? Looks so nice, but the density of tools you can store is so low.

I have to admit though, it does look good.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I really need to put some pegboard up in the basement.

Add it to the thirty or so line list of "things I need to do."

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I'm still futzing with the layout, and have a whole 'nother board right of that out to fill up. Right now it's just my circ saw suspended in a rather precarious fashion. Honestly one of the coolest parts of the whole thing is the storage discipline it instills.

Give me a month and there will be prison-workshop-esque sharpie lines around everything...

• Options
    I do need to get some sort of garage storage system in place. Probably get some shelves. Also wanna get some sort of small garden tool shed thing I can dump all my rakes and shovels and misc yard crap in.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular

2lbptlRl.jpg

Those Bluetooth earmuffs are the best thing ever aren’t they? I love mine, makes mowing the lawn far less tedious because I can just listen to audiobooks the whole time.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
This discussion has been closed.