As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Adventures in Lordran - or tales of brave Sir Onion

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Ok so how important is armour in DS3, outside of the weight affecting roll speed?

I’m finding a lot of the medium-light range of armour sets to be pretty dull, so I’d like to mix things up a bit if it’s not going to hamstring me much.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    DS1 Update:
    Spider lady boss down! That red Mildred person I fought earlier showed up as a summoning sign outside the boss and she did some major work. The bell has been rung and I guess I need to go back to the Onion guy now. There seems to be like two other main areas from here though. The big tree and down past the bell. Should I explore those, or go to where the cutscene showed me?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Ok so how important is armour in DS3, outside of the weight affecting roll speed?

I’m finding a lot of the medium-light range of armour sets to be pretty dull, so I’d like to mix things up a bit if it’s not going to hamstring me much.

Mm, you'll feel a big difference between the really light stuff and the mid-range stuff in terms of damage taken. And IIRC you get a -10% absorb penalty for any empty slot, so at bare minimum toss on some rags.

In terms of poise/hyperarmor so you can swing through attacks without staggering, it depends on your weapon. Certain weapons (and certain weapons Weapon Arts, and certain weapons only when held in two hands) have hyper-armor multipliers on your poise during their attack animations, so you need enough poise on your armor for your particular weapon to overcome the poise damage of whatever attack is coming your way. The bigger and slower your weapon, the beefier the multiplier.

The multiplier on certain weapons thing is actually the same as in the other games, though it worked different there (some weapons take half poise damage during their armored attack animations in DS1, DS2 has something very similar in practice but different in execution iirc). But in DS3 you can't really poise through (much?/) anything with weapons that don't have these multipliers, and you don't get the 'just stand there and not stagger as hits come in' effect you might in DS1 no matter how much poise you have on your status screen.

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/59raaf/a_long_list_of_poise_breakpoints_for_hyperarmor/

There it is characterized in PvP terms of weapon vs weapon, so you can kind of understand how it works.

Kamar on
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I'd personally go for fashion

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I rerolled pyromancer and farmed enough to wield the Big Z Sword.

As I finally made my way to the Tartarus Boss I was apparently invaded because this jerk face knocked me off the edge while I was collecting an item from a corpse.

I had to take a break.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    DS1 Update:
    Spider lady boss down! That red Mildred person I fought earlier showed up as a summoning sign outside the boss and she did some major work. The bell has been rung and I guess I need to go back to the Onion guy now. There seems to be like two other main areas from here though. The big tree and down past the bell. Should I explore those, or go to where the cutscene showed me?
    I'd follow the cutscene. There's a bit past the bell you could check out, but not much. So, if you go for it it's not a huge commitment, but if you don't you won't miss much. I'd definitely save the tree for later though, it's a long trek back from that route.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    DS1 Update:
    I'd follow the cutscene. There's a bit past the bell you could check out, but not much. So, if you go for it it's not a huge commitment, but if you don't you won't miss much. I'd definitely save the tree for later though, it's a long trek back from that route.

Agree

Timspork may want to skip this but not a huge deal
    hiking out of that tree without the lord vessel is such a huge pain. Much longer trip going up compared to down

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    Are there any risks to summoning a phantom?

edited August 2020
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Are there any risks to summoning a phantom?

Puts you higher on the list for invasions, makes bosses act a bit more randomly as they switch targets mid-movement, reduces damage/inflates boss HP (I forget which) a bit. It's a mixed bag, and really ends up depending on how good the phantom is for that particular boss, some are worthless and some will solo the boss.

edit: That all applies equally to NPCs and player phantoms afaik, except for exceptions where an NPC phantom won't make the boss stronger.

Kamar on
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    whelp, after a pretty smooth run all the way up to the Capra Demon, I had four BS deaths in a row to the Gaping Dragon and had my first rage quit of my new play through

yaaaay Dark Souls

on a related note, I’m assuming that trader next to the dragon doesn’t ever end up getting more Gold Pine Resin?

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Depending on your interactions with NPCs, you can summon
    Solaire and Lautrec
    for that bossfight, you can try to pop a humanity and look out for marks near the entrance of that boss

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Solaire and Lautrec
    for that bossfight, you can try to pop a humanity and look out for marks near the entrance of that boss

tried it, they were not helpful

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Sif’s namesake is a lady, the dog himself is not.

Pretty sure that's just fandom hearsay.

edited August 2020
    YaYa wrote: »
    Peas wrote: »
    Solaire and Lautrec

tried it, they were not helpful

That boss is probably the beefiest creature in your game so far, it's a good time to make your way back up there and upgrade
    Other than that a last ditch option is to grab them
    crystal weapons
    , I recommend the great sword. Two handed if possible.

Edit:
    Just created a bandit and made a beeline for the crystal greatsword, the damage should be good enough, summoned 1 npc and still have a pretty decent durabilty after the fight. Good for cutting the tail too.

If anyone needs help for the gaping dragon and is on remastered for PC just msg me I will hop in for a bit. Not 100% sure if you folks will see my sign though since I am from another region

Edit:
    Just got summoned, I realized that 2 summons might make the boss too beefy, 1 should be good enough

Peas on
    Gaping dragon deals a lot of damage per hit, but it's also super slow. If you just go in, get 1-3 hits in its side or tail or whatever, then back out before it can even start up its next attack, you should be pretty safe. Don't remember enough of its tells off the top of my head to be particularly specific.

Just stay behind it hitting its tail except when it drops down and makes its head available for a relatively easy kill. It's pretty easy to loop behind it and it's almost completely safe back there once you cut the tail off (if it's not coming off, hit further away from the base).

I remember my early experience with the gap dragon was that there would be a part where it pauses and it seems like I should wail on it but that was a terrible mistake. Always leave some stamina for rolling

edited August 2020
    Its most dangerous attacks iirc are after it drops its head to where you can hit it, it runs forward with hitboxes flying everywhere (but before that it the opportunity to get a lot of damage on the face) and its vomit that spews everywhere, which I think is provoked by you being too far away (but so is the drop+charge if you're trying to bait that).

The fly up and body slam can be dangerous if you don't run away, always better to play that safe than to assume you're out of the landing radius.

Kamar on
    I think when it lifts its upper body up, it gets a few attacks that can be pretty dangerous as well. Swiping at you with its forelimbs and whatnot, and a grab attack. Pretty solvable by just not being in front of it, but I think those attacks come out faster than most of its other moves, so they might take one off guard.

Aw yeah, beat Pontiff Sulyvahn at last

I ended up summoning Anri to assist, so I could have at least a little breathing room during phase 2

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I made it past the taurus demon.

I was really hoping there would be a bonfire on the other side of it. But there just seem to be lots more things that want to kill me.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I made it past the taurus demon.

I was really hoping there would be a bonfire on the other side of it. But there just seem to be lots more things that want to kill me.

There's a bonfire pretty close by, you might've taken a wrong turn?

• MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    There's a stairway half-way through the bridge that will have a shortcut to the Undead Burg bonfire. You'll need to kick a ladder down, but it's on the way you'll need to head to get past the drake anyway.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I love the souls games so much, and most of the fan community, despite being so, so terrible at the games

Seeing some of y'all react to the games gives me some joy and hope

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Midnite wrote: »
    There's a stairway half-way through the bridge that will have a shortcut to the Undead Burg bonfire. You'll need to kick a ladder down, but it's on the way you'll need to head to get past the drake anyway.

I made it to what I assume is
    the Iron Boar
    or whatever it's called. Have I gone too far?

Oh yes, if you go down the stairs on the bridge, there is a shortcut nearby

It's a rusty ladder you can kick down

Hmm ok. I did go down those stairs but I guess I didn't notice a ladder. I'll go back.

• MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Yup! this vid will show you where to go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M6vcf3XWuo

Missing that ladder is a rite of passage for new players.

Midnite on
    edited August 2020
    Can't record right now because of bad encoding lag, but if you take cover here

cJoEL9p.jpg

the drake's flame breath can't hit you

If you run after the fire goes out, you should be able to tank one hit in your pyromancer's clothes

And that should be good enough to make it to the bonfire which is just past the drake

Afterwards you can completely skip the rats

Platy on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    The Drake fire is an alternative to the shortcut for the other fire, not a huge difference between the two.

That Drake/wyvern felt so much more aggressive and brutal when the game launched. At some point I think they patched it and gave it way more chill

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    I'm not sure if they programmed it in but I noticed that the Drake tend to swoop down and walk around pretty quickly when I am in my inventory sorting stuff

Apropos of nothing, if any of you guys have found your way to Darkroot Basin and gotten the grass crest shield, that's a good fuckin shield.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Apropos of nothing, if any of you guys have found your way to Darkroot Basin and gotten the grass crest shield, that's a good fuckin shield.

Just don't try to use it as a shield, that 95 block rating is going to cause problems

Madican wrote: »

Just don't try to use it as a shield, that 95 block rating is going to cause problems
    I mean I'd prefer 100 block to 95, but the chip damage with 95 is really low, I think it's still workable as a shield.

Chip damage is rarely a problem as long as your stability is good. Even like a 70% shield is fine if your guard doesn't break, unless you're taking a serious beating and being way too passive. 95% is basically not taking damage.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »

Yeah, it's not stated anywhere in the game what gender Great Grey Wolf Sif may be.

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Moth 13 wrote: »

Yeah, it's not stated anywhere in the game what gender Great Grey Wolf Sif may be.

Noticing this was one of my big moments of realizing "hmm, maybe people's inherent biases contribute to what is most widely accepted as the canonical interpretations of souls lore"

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    It’s sometimes fun to think about how the widely accepted interpretation of the lore in Dark Souls is just that, one interpretation. Trying to go through the game and make up my own version of the s a fun exercise

04xkcuvaav19.png
    edited August 2020
    Oh hey, didn't someone say something about a lightning claymore a bit back? iirc, lighting provides a pretty big boost to base damage, but it kills your scaling. So, if you're got any investment in strength, you might want to switch it back to the regular upgrade path since the strength scaling will probably let you deal a lot more damage. If you're going with int or faith, their respective weapon augmentations might be a better choice than lightning as well.
    I think they said that the claymore was just their backup, and I don't know exactly when scaling will outpace the lightning damage, so maybe this wouldn't be worth the time and resources.

cB557 on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It’s sometimes fun to think about how the widely accepted interpretation of the lore in Dark Souls is just that, one interpretation. Trying to go through the game and make up my own version of the s a fun exercise

My headcanon interpretation for what I consider to be the real ending to Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin is a huge part of why it's my favorite Darks Soul.