As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hesher] Jazzmaster of Puppets

• EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    To Live to Kill to Live is the thematic sequel to To Kill to Live to Kill.

Those are some lazy album titles. I mean, come on, guys. You can write hour-plus long albums of power/prog metal but you can't come up with album titles that even verge on the poetic. Geez.
    I'll be back in a minute; I'm going to go cool off with some Bal-Sagoth.

All these folks trying to be the Hiroo Onoda of the Loudness War...
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    They should hire Bal-Sagoth to write their next set of album and song titles, but then again, that band is too lazy to even exist right now.

autothrall on
    edited August 2020
    Byron's so lazy that the rest of the band just went off and formed Kull. Which I just now remembered exists. I should go check out that album from last year. Totally forgot about it.

Edit: If Byron is reading this thread, I would like to say that Byron Roberts is not a lazy person but a super cool dude. I'm sure you're off curing cancer or something instead of assuming your role as Hyborian/Elder God priest. Please don't summon Azagthoth down on me.

EthelTheFrog on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    It's depressing that someone with bigoted views is considered an enemy?

Yep. You can think his views are bigoted, that's your opinion and that's fine, but the fact that that makes him your enemy is a little depressing. I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with your opinion. I haven't listened to him enough to form an opinion, but I have listened to other people that are "bigoted" and say "racist, dangerous things" and I would disagree with that assertion. I've also listened to people that you would probably consider allies and I think that they say racist, dangerous things, but they aren't my enemy, just someone I personally disagree with. If all they want to talk about are the things we disagree about, then yeah, we're not going to really get along, but there are so much more interesting things to talk about.

One of my best friends of the past decade was as far left as any of you. I'm definitely on the right. We didn't agree on anything politically, but we found common ground and pretty much never talked politics.

I mean

It's more than just "bigoted"

It's people who genuinely want "mixed" people to not exist, and think that "race mixing" is creating subhuman monsters.

They feel a large portion of my friends are less than human, and as such I am 100% glad to consider them my enemy.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Yep. You can think his views are bigoted, that's your opinion and that's fine, but the fact that that makes him your enemy is a little depressing. I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with your opinion. I haven't listened to him enough to form an opinion, but I have listened to other people that are "bigoted" and say "racist, dangerous things" and I would disagree with that assertion. I've also listened to people that you would probably consider allies and I think that they say racist, dangerous things, but they aren't my enemy, just someone I personally disagree with. If all they want to talk about are the things we disagree about, then yeah, we're not going to really get along, but there are so much more interesting things to talk about.

One of my best friends of the past decade was as far left as any of you. I'm definitely on the right. We didn't agree on anything politically, but we found common ground and pretty much never talked politics.

I mean

It's people who genuinely want "mixed" people to not exist, and think that "race mixing" is creating subhuman monsters.

They feel a large portion of my friends are less than human, and as such I am 100% glad to consider them my enemy.

This Greg dude has said that specifically? I'd be interested in links.

edited August 2020
    Wow...the new Ulver album is continuing the 80s moody synth-pop style and it's great...

Boughted.

autothrall on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

I mean

This Greg dude has said that specifically? I'd be interested in links.

I mean specifically Varg from Burzum, since I was talking about bands.

Gutfield is a QAnon stooge.

jungleroomx on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I'm as guilty of it as anyone but I wonder if we need a version of Godwin's Law that states that any time the subject of "metal + politics" is brought up (or maybe not even that specific), the chance of Varg being mentioned approaches 1.

Jazz wrote: »
    I'm as guilty of it as anyone but I wonder if we need a version of Godwin's Law that states that any time the subject of "metal + politics" is brought up (or maybe not even that specific), the chance of Varg being mentioned approaches 1.

Could also be Phil Anselmo

Phil wishes he was Varg.

Probably.

Phil wishes he was Varg.

Probably.

Phil might actually be worse.

Phil wishes he was Varg.

Probably.

Phil might actually be worse.

Hmm... murder aside, you might be right.

edited August 2020
    I wish the whole world could put a moratorium on talking about Varg for a couple of years (yes, I know I'm being hypocritical by talking about Varg right now). The optimistic part of me wants to think that if the guy got zero attention/views for a serious length of time he would realize his racist antics are ridiculous and stupid (and ridiculously stupid) and go back to recording great ambient black metal. The guy's obviously a whore for attention: I remember reading somewhere, when Varg was announcing the end of Burzum, that he had said that he never even liked black metal anyways but that his true passion was board games. Like, fair enough, Varg. Board games can be awesome. But my BS detector is telling me that you were totally into black metal at one point. Black metal legend dissing black metal die-hards = instant attention.

And then the pessimistic part of me is like: Dude, Ethel, Varg's just a totally messed up guy who made some great music. Enter, cognitive dissonance.

EthelTheFrog on
  • BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Good art often comes from a bad place mentally, doubly so for something like metal which deals with a lot of dark subject matter. Everyone has their personal tolerance for separating art from artist, but I've just come to accept that most of the people I'm listening to have probably done or said some vile things at some point. Frankly, it's refreshing when someone's as openly heinous as Varg so I don't have to be surprised when they're outed as a shitty person.

Blakout on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Wow...the new Ulver album is continuing the 80s moody synth-pop style and it's great...

Boughted.

In case anyone wants to see the video that fits the mood for this album:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8QwxdF_oMQ

Yes, it is quite ironic the music style they are playing now and the shirt the dancer is wearing. But, hey...videos. The whole album is pretty damn good though 80s pop with a moodier, experimental edge, almost always catchy.

I think I like it as a whole much more compared to their previous album, which had an excellent opening track, and then several songs that I remember as being perfectly fine but forgettable.

edited August 2020
    Yes, it's better than Assassination of Julius Caesar.

Whole TON of new releases and promos coming today, we must be about to hit that Fall deluge.

autothrall on
    SteevL wrote: »

Boughted.

In case anyone wants to see the video that fits the mood for this album:

That was fantastic. I don't mind admitting I liked the video too, especially the locations and angles, but the dancer fit perfectly too.

• MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Imagine being the kind of total fucking idiot who can say something like "politics is arbitrary". It must be nice to live in the world you live in.

Fortunately, all of us back here in reality see where this is going and will be laughing in our caskets and urns 30 years from now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAhThfUWmmI

Mgcw on
    edited August 2020
    Hey that's my favorite Skyclad tune!

This band is actually pretty cool, it's almost like a sludgier version of a post-punk group...maybe somewhere between Kylesa or SubRosa and White Lung or Brutus, if that makes any sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbWwnB3eXIE

autothrall on
    As far as instrumental shred albums go, I'd say Petrucci delivers with this one, but my only issue would be that there are plenty of parts here which would have gone great on a DT album with vocals. Alas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNCZIFs9ctg

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I was just happy to hear Portnoy in the battery laying the foundation for Petrucci's shred again on the new album.

Sadly, I doubt the rift between LaBrie and Portnoy is ever getting patched up to the point that they'd collaborate again.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Imagine being the kind of total fucking idiot who can say something like "politics is arbitrary". It must be nice to live in the world you live in.

Fortunately, all of us back here in reality see where this is going and will be laughing in our caskets and urns 30 years from now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAhThfUWmmI

I just want to say that I love this song and equally love that it was uploaded by Noise Records themselves and they managed to mistype the name of the song here. It's "Gammadion Seed", not "Speed".

(Skyclad wrote a song in reference to whoever was in charge of them from Noise Records on the next album called "Art Nazi". It was their last album with that label.)

Hahah, funny you should mention that. I'm reading the Damn the Machine book about NOISE records currently, and Mr. Walterbach is definitely a character. The book does go into both sides of the story though, some of his decisions are understandable, but sometimes I think the guy was definitely a dickhead. Like he says he didn't think Rage was a very good band, and he actually shortened their name himself from 'Furious Rage' without telling them when he put out Reign of Fear. But he put out their first...what...8-9 albums, and gave them their shot, which they acknowledge. He wasn't a 'Nazi' so much, actually a former political activist in his punk protest years, and he had a punk label prior to NOISE.

b37pd7t2nnro.jpg

Anyway, this is an excellent label history which goes really far into depth about by far one of the most exceptional band rosters in the 80s. So many incredible bands...

One of the best metal books I've read along with Swedish Death Metal.

76wxey0gk7qs.jpg

In fact I've been enjoying it so much I just bought Only Death is Real, more of a pictorial history but with plenty of text, put together by Mr. Tom G. Warrior himself.

0wmfypgqa0bl.jpg

Any chance I could get that Noise book when you're done with it? hahaha. Sick Away art on the cover.

If there are ever shows again I can probably loan it to ya, there's also a copy up right now on eBay for $15 + shipping, brand new.

It's a thorough, well-researched read, tons of old pics of bands like Tankard in there too, although obviously it can't go in depth with every band and a lot are glossed over.

• FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    Tbf, Rage is a better band name than Furious Rage. Simplicity always wins

Oh, I don't disagree, although Rage itself has always been a fairly generic name (for an awesome band).

But imagine you're on a label, you put out your first record, you head out to get a copy at the shop and then you notice your band name has been truncated by your label manager...

Another story from the brief Rage chapter is that the cover to Secrets in a Weird World was supposed to have art, but once again, without the band's knowledge, they noticed the album was released with the boring stock band photo!

edited August 2020
    Didn't that happen with King Diamond and Conspiracy too? Although, that image has become fairly iconic, so it's not exactly a boring stock photo.

Edit:
    I did a little digging at here's that Rage album art.
    uncpz7cqxedv.jpg
    It was released with the original art in the Refuge Years boxed set. Don't know why anyone would sub that out for that band photo.

EthelTheFrog on
    edited August 2020
    Right, King Diamond is never boring, even when he wakes up to brush his teeth. (Except for The Graveyard, that is dull beyond compare.) Even then, I prefer the artwork on his old album covers by far. Unless you're a heavily image-based group (KISS, etc), artwork always takes the prize in metal, thus the reason the catalogs of bands like Iron Maiden and Blind Guardian are so revered.

Ever notice that pop acts these days put out such skimpy CD packaging? I mean the latest albums from Grimes, Phantogram and Purity Ring come with barely more than a cardboard promo slip with an extra flap for lyrics...only the Phantogram has an insert at all. I'm surprised they don't snap in the mail.
    dlpjvyczarkq.jpg

Meanwhile these bands like Vampire, Serment, and Solicitor, who have only a fraction of the budget still include booklets and seem to have more care placed in them.
    bh8q5wetyn5n.jpg

I wonder if it's because when it comes to the music industry, the majors don't really care much about some physical product for this genre and rely heavily on digital sales. I noticed it's similar with a lot of my wife's new country CDs. Or maybe they really do a bang up job with the vinyls and they've abandoned CDs other than obligatory print runs. I think it does happen for popular rock and metal too, I remember some of the Ghost CDs I have being skimpy.

autothrall on
    uncpz7cqxedv.jpg
    It was released with the original art in the Refuge Years boxed set. Don't know why anyone would sub that out for that band photo.

And it's such a wonderful album, that artwork on the original release would have really helped give it a further push...

That's a great cover.

- - - - -

I've only picked up a couple of CDs this year, obvious ones knowing my taste, but neither skimps on packaging quality.

1dpoduv05l0r.jpg

Hardback 48-page digibook for Nightwish, digipak with full 16-page booklet with all lyrics for Delain.

Maybe the nature of the metal CD buyer means it's worth them making sure there is full packaging, I dunno. It's less disposable music, maybe?

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Hey that's my favorite Skyclad tune!

This band is actually pretty cool, it's almost like a sludgier version of a post-punk group...maybe somewhere between Kylesa or SubRosa and White Lung or Brutus, if that makes any sense.

I'm getting pretty strong emo vibes from this. But not in a bad way. It's almost like sludgy black metal alexisonfire (but without the screamo).

edited August 2020
    Didn't that happen with King Diamond and Conspiracy too? Although, that image has become fairly iconic, so it's not exactly a boring stock photo.

Edit:
    uncpz7cqxedv.jpg

I knew this story about the cover art but I had never actually seen it. I actually do really like the stock photo that's the album cover, the sunglasses array cracks me up and the hair is just A+ and so emblematic of the era.

However, the actual album mart is super sick too.

Secrets is my favorite Rage album and that's saying a lot because with the Manni years and even a few albums past that, they're pretty much my all time favorite band.

I was discussing it with someone else the other day, but I also miss album covers that were photographs of physical art pieces, like the album cover for Accept - Metal Heart.

Mgcw on
    edited August 2020
    Yeah, I've never really had an issue with the original cover. So many albums do it that, if I did have a problem with the practice... well, I'd really have a problem. But if I can find a high-quality jpeg of that art, I'm definitely swapping it in my iTunes library.

Edit:
    Found one. Ain't she a beaut.
    9m7bnpynho52.jpg

EthelTheFrog on
    I will do the same. I already own all their classic run of CDs, and my copy of Secrets is pretty sweet even with the stock photo, but I'll definitely use this instead in my iTunes.

edited August 2020

I'm getting pretty strong emo vibes from this. But not in a bad way. It's almost like sludgy black metal alexisonfire (but without the screamo).

Can totally hear that.

autothrall on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    Jeez, FINE guys, I'll listen to Rage all weekend. 8-)

My color is black to the blind
This discussion has been closed.