As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Adventures in Lordran - or tales of brave Sir Onion

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Oh hey, didn't someone say something about a lightning claymore a bit back? iirc, lighting provides a pretty big boost to base damage, but it kills your scaling. So, if you're got any investment in strength, you might want to switch it back to the regular upgrade path since the strength scaling will probably let you deal a lot more damage. If you're going with int or faith, their respective weapon augmentations might be a better choice than lightning as well.
    I think they said that the claymore was just their backup, and I don't know exactly when scaling will outpace the lightning damage, so maybe this wouldn't be worth the time and resources.

Lightning kills scaling but almost everything is weak to it so it still does big damage. Also that lovely crackle hitting something with it

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    UPDATE
    Did the painted realm. that's a weird area, but neat? it really seems like it should have been DLC or something, it's a little weird that it doesn't have anything to do with anything else in the game.

Painted Realm spoilers
    It doesn't gate anything, but there are some lore bits revolving around the boss.

It really, really pains me that the two best dex weapons in the game require killing the boss.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Oh hey, didn't someone say something about a lightning claymore a bit back? iirc, lighting provides a pretty big boost to base damage, but it kills your scaling. So, if you're got any investment in strength, you might want to switch it back to the regular upgrade path since the strength scaling will probably let you deal a lot more damage. If you're going with int or faith, their respective weapon augmentations might be a better choice than lightning as well.
    I think they said that the claymore was just their backup, and I don't know exactly when scaling will outpace the lightning damage, so maybe this wouldn't be worth the time and resources.

Lightning kills scaling but almost everything is weak to it so it still does big damage. Also that lovely crackle hitting something with it
    Didn't it get nerfed at some point though, such that scaling would still beat out lighting despite the weaknesses?

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The Painted World gets tied into the cosmology in DS3 in a major way

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    People have run the math on weapon damage and scaling in DS1, and lightning +5 weapons only start to lose out to normal +15 weapons (the best scaling weapons) in damage output when you have like 40-50 points in the relevant scaling stats for the normal weapon, ignoring elemental weaknesses. Chaos +5 weapons are a bit stronger than lightning +5 if you have at least 20 liquid humanity in your tank and also lack normal stat scaling, but do fire damage and are worse when you don't have any humanity for their special hidden humanity scaling thing. Chaos is the PvP invader min-max infusion of choice to pump as many points into HP as possible since invaders tend to have huge stockpiles of consumable humanity items anyway from the vendor in the DLC or by hacking, since it's the only easily obtained healing item that works for invaders in DS1, so that humanity scaling aspect isn't an issue for them.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

that was probably me

my strength is only like 16 and my dex is worse, a lightning weapon is the best option for melee dps right now

• MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    It's nice to see the old dueling spot is still going strong all this time later:

twv3CGh.jpg?1

Ah memories. So many people who didn't understand the Black Knight polearm not only had a very long window to trigger the second swing but had super armor during it

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I've just realised I haven't seen any bloodstains since leaving the asylum. Are they not a thing any more?

Oh they should be there if you're connected to the multiplayer server and not in offline mode

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I have met an awesome black smith and I’m near a church place.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Oh they should be there if you're connected to the multiplayer server and not in offline mode

Oh, that explains it. I just moved and we don't have internet set up yet.

Are they from where other players have died? That's neat if so. I thought they were a scripted thing.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I've managed to play Dark souls remastered for half an hour.

Died three times to the skeletons near firelink shrine.

Getting slightly better each time though!

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

you should not be engaging the skelemans yet, they're deceptively late game

go up the ramp toward the aquaduct

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Are they from where other players have died? That's neat if so. I thought they were a scripted thing.

All the messages, bloodstains, and spooky ghosts you see now and then are from players, yup! It was intended that players would leave messages to interact with other worlds, and the bloodstains are warnings of where other players messed up. So if you enter a room and see 50 bloodstains something is up.

if you click on them, they will show you a phantom of the player actually dying

rhylith wrote: »

All the messages, bloodstains, and spooky ghosts you see now and then are from players, yup! It was intended that players would leave messages to interact with other worlds, and the bloodstains are warnings of where other players messed up. So if you enter a room and see 50 bloodstains something is up.

Or a bunch around a chest

Madican wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »

Or a bunch around a chest

There is no reason there would ever be bloodstains around a chest what are you talking about!

PiptheFair wrote: »

Yeah I know that, I just thought it was something written into the game that would be the same every time. That's really cool if it's not.

How do you leave a message?

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

Yeah I know that, I just thought it was something written into the game that would be the same every time. That's really cool if it's not.

Use the... I think it's the white soapstone? Maybe the orange? One is for messages and one is for placing your summoning mark

The orange one is for messages

Use the... I think it's the white soapstone? Maybe the orange? One is for messages and one is for placing your summoning mark

orange soapstone which you buy from the undead merchant? I think

edited August 2020

There’s an item called an orange guidance soapstone that you can use to build messages from pre-selected templates. Which is where a whole lot of DS memes come from.

Oh yeah if someone likes a message of yours while you’re playing you get either a heal or an estus charge I’m pretty sure.

rhylith on
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    There a merchant in the undead burg that sells an orange soapstone, you use that to write and rate messages

04xkcuvaav19.png
    I just realised this means someone might see my stupid fumbling idiot deaths and now I'm all self conscious

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

you should not be engaging the skelemans yet, they're deceptively late game

go up the ramp toward the aquaduct
    Alternatively, run past all the skeletons and steal their items before they kill you, then do what pip said.

The items in that graveyard rule.

How linear is this game? Like I think I already passed that merchant in the burg, am I going to go through there again or should I backtrack there while I have the chance? I don't have much cash.

How linear is this game? Like I think I already passed that merchant in the burg, am I going to go through there again or should I backtrack there while I have the chance? I don't have much cash.

Plenty of opportunities to return to places you’ve been.

You don't really get locked out of anything save for one boss arena I can think of

Also the game world is really interconnected and you'll eventually get the ability to teleport around

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    You can basically go anywhere whenever in dark souls

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Aistan wrote: »
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    It’s sometimes fun to think about how the widely accepted interpretation of the lore in Dark Souls is just that, one interpretation. Trying to go through the game and make up my own version of the s a fun exercise

My headcanon interpretation for what I consider to be the real ending to Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin is a huge part of why it's my favorite Darks Soul.

The internet tells me I’m wrong, but to this day I like to consider these things to be true just because I enjoy it more:

Velka, Goddess of Sin, was a Pygmy of the Dark Soul whom Gwyn wed. This is why his children, especially Gwyndolin, have traits of both light and dark.

When Gwyn exiled her people to the Ringed City she split from him, and fled to the first painted world. She’s not the cause of the undead (that’s all part of Gwyn’s gambit to save his age), but she does send her pet giant crow to carry any that look promising off to wreck shop over in Gwyn’s dying kingdom.

Next up, I like to interpret Dark Souls 2 as the sequel to the ‘walk away’ ending to the first game, while Dark Souls 3 is the sequel to the ‘link the fire’ ending.

Ushering in the age of dark leads to the gods being forgotten and man taking their place... for a time, until the terribly conjoined fire and dark become corrupted once more. In the standard ending, when you’re locked away on a throne, the cycle continues, one way or another.

The true final ending, where you walk away from the world of fire and dark heads towards an unknown outcome. Potentially the bearer of the curse paints the next painted world.

Linking the fire is a short reprieve, one that has to be repeated over and over by new heirs of fire over thousands of years. To the point the powers that be create an ashen one, a barely person of fire and dark, a facsimile of heroes past. There’s a bunch of endings here, but they’re still bound by the ever not quite dead state of the age of fire.

However, in its true final ending, the ashen one collects all that’s needed for a painter to paint a new world. Is it just another hideaway, or a whole creation equivalent of the Dark Souls universe? Dunno!

I don’t think it’s supposed to be Yharnam though.

Endless_Serpents on
    I’m trying to be very coy about how intricate and connected the world is because being like “oh fuck I’m HERE again!” about 50 times was one of the highlights of my first playthrough

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I just realised this means someone might see my stupid fumbling idiot deaths and now I'm all self conscious

pDu4tS4.gif

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

How so? It's been a while, and I probably missed it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited August 2020
    Polaritie wrote: »

How so? It's been a while, and I probably missed it.

Massive spoilers
    The two DLCs are about a new universe budding off from the old one - in the form of a painting which uses the Dark Soul as a pigment.

Platy on

pDu4tS4.gif

Man now I'm kind of sad I haven't been online for the last few days. I'm curious what ghosts and messages I've missed.

Tbh it's mostly stuff like "try thrust"

Lewd