As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Kingdom Rush Vengeance, Aquanox & Crown Trick out today!

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    There have been a few repeats so far

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    90% of my Epic library is games I got for free and I have probably played three of them.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Epic is worth it for Hades and that’s about it

6F32U1X.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I have played a bunch of Satisfactory

And a bit of Griftlands, I need to play more of that

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Whoa is Hades free on the Epic thing?

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Whoa is Hades free on the Epic thing?

no

~$20 USD on epic store and steam

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Epic is worth it for Hades and that’s about it

But I have Hades on Steam

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Seriously though, the Shadowrun games are really good. Probably the best of the Kickstarter RPGs.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IrOC-UtBQ8

working together to push platforms is going to be a nightmare, I love it

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »
    Seriously though, the Shadowrun games are really good. Probably the best of the Kickstarter RPGs.

Which one should I start with? I think I recall people saying Shadowrun Returns being kind of janky?

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Which one should I start with? I think I recall people saying Shadowrun Returns being kind of janky?

the first one is kinda not worth it unless you really wanna play all 3

it's totally fine, but hong kkong and dragonfall improve on it pretty dramtically

The reason to play the first one is that going back after playing the second and third will be fucking impossible

The reason to not play it is because it's not very good and you might burn out on it before you even finish which could hurt your momentum going into the actual good entries

I like the first half of Dead Mans Switch, but it's really rudimentary compared to the other two. You wouldn't really be missing much if you just skipped to Dragonfall.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah I still vote skip to Dragonfall, it's easily the best of the three

Hong Kong has some cool stuff in it and some good mechanical improvements as well, but Dragonfall really is overall the best experience of the three

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I've only played Shadowrun Returns (just never got around to the others), but I really liked it. I think all the mechanical RPG stuff was very unremarkable, a fairly by-the-numbers RPG system, but I thought the atmosphere and mood (art, music, language) were extremely on-point, and I thought the dialogue was well-done. Not PS:T levels of depth, per se, but making good use of their limited dev resources. Pretty good characterization, some choice in how you approach a conversation based on which flavor of etiquette you pick (although some etiquettes have more uses than others, the classic RPG pitfall), that kind of thing.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    In hindsight Returns is much more obviously a proof of concept, albeit an impressive one

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    How many things can I hack in Shadowrun anyhow?

In the first one, not many

The matrix stuff was some of the very last things added to the first game as I understand it, and as such there's not honestly a lot for a Decker to do in the first campaign

In the later ones, more stuff but the matrix gameplay is kind of mediocre (Dragonfall) to actively terrible (Hong Kong)

In hindsight Returns is much more obviously a proof of concept, albeit an impressive one

I thought the whole idea is that they were trying to build a Neverwinter Nights style engine where players could make their own modules and Dead Mans Switch was just the demo. Then Dragonfall ended up taking off and changed the direction of the game.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

The matrix stuff was some of the very last things added to the first game as I understand it, and as such there's not honestly a lot for a Decker to do in the first campaign

In the later ones, more stuff but the matrix gameplay is kind of mediocre (Dragonfall) to actively terrible (Hong Kong)

I think there is a synthesis of the matrix gameplay between the two that could work

Because when you can actually pull off the bad real time stealth elements of Hong Kong you get some fun hacking puzzles

You just need a way to make traveling through the matrix a better turn based stealth experience, with the option of turning things into a straight fight like in Dragonfall (and maybe like, different hacking gear to favor different approaches or what have you)

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    People have ported Returns into Hong Kong as mods.

I've decided now is the time to try FF14 again, so I bought the starter edition and Steam will not let me install it, it just hangs on the "preparing files" forever and it doesn't list an install size

I've rebooted it, I've deleted folders where it would go to make it try again, I have no idea what else to do, and the store listing says there's no refunds on it so I'm stuck

6F32U1X.png
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I've decided now is the time to try FF14 again, so I bought the starter edition and Steam will not let me install it, it just hangs on the "preparing files" forever and it doesn't list an install size

I've rebooted it, I've deleted folders where it would go to make it try again, I have no idea what else to do, and the store listing says there's no refunds on it so I'm stuck

Are you sure it's hung on it and not just taking a long time?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Are you sure it's hung on it and not just taking a long time?

I let it sit for an hour once and the bar didn't move at all

6F32U1X.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Shadowrun Returns was mostly funded through Kickstarter and it was only six months late

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Straightzi wrote: »

I think there is a synthesis of the matrix gameplay between the two that could work

Because when you can actually pull off the bad real time stealth elements of Hong Kong you get some fun hacking puzzles

You just need a way to make traveling through the matrix a better turn based stealth experience, with the option of turning things into a straight fight like in Dragonfall (and maybe like, different hacking gear to favor different approaches or what have you)

My ideal version of the Matrix is that there is a real time gun battle going on while the Decker is fighting the enemy Decker in the Matrix and hacking terminals to help out with the fight. This happens exactly once in the entire series, in Returns.

Tube wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »

My ideal version of the Matrix is that there is a real time gun battle going on while the Decker is fighting the enemy Decker in the Matrix and hacking terminals to help out with the fight. This happens exactly once in the entire series, in Returns.

That's the battle that taught me how powerful Shaman walls can be.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    The Last Autumn expansion of Frostpunk is real fuckin hard. Not gonna lie: I had to bump it down to easy to pass it on my first run. I was able to boost it to medium on my second attempt without sweating too hard, but there were still a lot of blue collar tugging moments every time I got a notification near one of the generator construction sites.

As an aside, I feel like it does a disservice to trade unionism, but what the fuck else is new in videogames that "aren't political".

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    EVERYBODY SHUT THE HELL UP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD_GPOljd0Q&feature=emb_title

Looks like someone finally decided to turn down one of the "everything is shit in 2020" dials for me, personally, because they're making a new Pharaoh game that will actually run on my cursedly futuristic computer.

This is great news, Pharaoh is one of my favorite games ever. I am getting my hopes unwisely up, with no expectation of disappointment.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Not a new game, but its a full remake of the original: https://www.ign.com/articles/pharaoh-a-new-era-2021-pc-game-reveal
    Dotemu (Streets of Rage 4, Wonder Boy) has made a name for itself with its retro remakes and revivals in recent years, and Pharaoh should continue the pattern. The game will reproduce the original's Egyptian kingdom management, but is being developed with all-new code, a new 2D graphics style, brand new UI, and improved mechanics.

The base game will include the 2000 expansion, Cleopatra: Queen of the Nile, bringing the game's campaign (set across various ages of Egyptian history) to 53 missions. That campaign comes alongside a Free Build mode, as well as a map and mission editor.

Crippl3 on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    If anything, even better.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Is the game play going to be cell shaded? That would certainly pique my interest.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I never played Pharaoh. Is it basically the Caesar games, but Egypt?

FFXIV: Agran Trask
    Cautiously interested in the Pharoah remake, as someone who loved it, but I dunno if you can go back to that game in 2020

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    yep

I don't think it's identical, mechanically, but iirc it's pretty close

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Cautiously interested in the Pharoah remake, as someone who loved it, but I dunno if you can go back to that game in 2020

It still works on my PC and it's still a really fun game. I still play Pharoah, Zeus and Emperor

I mean like, yes, mechanically it is fine

I am just more aware of how watered down the portrayals of the egyptian people might be than when I was 12

This discussion has been closed.