As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The newest action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Beast Wars is dangerous for me, I'm much more nostalgic for that one as a 90s kid

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Beast Wars is dangerous for me, I'm much more nostalgic for that one as a 90s kid

Beast Wars is small enough that it's potentially going to trigger my completionist brain, despite not having nostalgia for the property like I do with G1. Right now it's looking like you can grab the whole set for under $300, and that includes Shadow Panther and the fossilizers.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I don’t hate BW but the majority of it is a hard pass for me. I was never fond of “transforms into realistic animals” as the gimmick.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Yup, same boat. Beast Wars was "my" Transformers, I had a whole lot of the toys (still have some), so I gotta tread carefully here. I've settled into Masterpieces as my preferred format (just in terms of aesthetics, complexity, that sort of thing), and I think the MP Beast Wars toys have been pretty good overall, but I'm feeling more draw to buy modern main-line interpretations of Beast Wars characters than those same takes on G1 characters.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Wow, some of those BW look like mini MP versions. I'm seriously jazzed with the Warpath since I missed his previous release but got the G1 reissue. Plus it looks like a mainline version of FansToys Sheridan.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    MP's getting so ridiculously pricey ($150 for Arcee? (Especially THAT Arcee) $220 for Tigatron?) coupled with limited space and the Generations line getting EXTREMELY good has pretty much turned me off from MP. I might pick up that unlicensed Minerva, but I don't see my MP collection expanding much further from here.

Otherwise I would have totally gotten on that BW MP bandwagon.

MP's getting so ridiculously pricey ($150 for Arcee? (Especially THAT Arcee) $220 for Tigatron?) coupled with limited space and the Generations line getting EXTREMELY good has pretty much turned me off from MP. I might pick up that unlicensed Minerva, but I don't see my MP collection expanding much further from here.

Otherwise I would have totally gotten on that BW MP bandwagon.

I used to think the same till I got into other stuff and suddenly prices didn't seem that high for Transformers. Plus the unlicensed realm seemingly also raising their prices I just assumed this is all the cost creep. I have the unlicensed Minerva and she's pretty nifty, but to be honest I only bought her because she was a Porsche 959. >_> Then it was cooler that she was also a headmaster, but this thing reminds me more like a mainstream mass produced toy than a higher end one like the MP line (the joints are mainly ball types, parts not fitting in snug, plastic feeling a bit cheap, top of the car has to come off to transform, lots of empty areas in car mode, parts falling off during transforming, etc.). It isn't bad, just not on the same level as the MP lines for both licensed and unlicensed. Probably why the price isn't up there to match the MP lines. She is a neat toy though so that's all I care about it.

I do have one of the unlicensed Arcees and still getting the licensed one, along with the third version of Sunstreaker since I really love that model. Lately though I've been tempted to cancel that one as well as some other pre-orders just because I'm feeling like my collection is good where it is. Plus it doesn't help that my mind overthinks things lately. I wonder if that has to do anything with my Dad passing away or just everything making me feel depressed lately and I get my joys playing with what I have and less on what is coming. Dunno, just know that I've cancelled a few pre-orders already from things I thought I wanted.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I think I might be weird where I was a kid that watched Beast Wars and loved it, in fact I rewatched it like 6 years ago and still really enjoyed it, but the toys never really did much for me. I love Transformers, and a big part of that is the cool engineering that takes them from one form to the other, and when it’s an animal, that transformation is often not very interesting.

I’ll... probably still get these though, but more because I like the characters

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    @Betsuni Shit man I’m sorry about your dad. I personally know that can absolutely be a difficult thing to process and can certainly change a person’s mindset. I’m not sure how much a rando internet person who’s sent you TFs before can help, but I’m here if you need anything. Blow up my inbox if ya need to vent/purge, let me know if there’s any figures I can keep an eye out for

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    As a kid I really clicked with the cheetor design for his toy. Also the Blackarachnia toy I remember being neat. Oh, and Quickstrike... Loved this guy:

4qfd339wr73s.jpg
    wdzeuauw3f6y.jpg

Also star wars did a drop today on funkos site, I made the mistake of trying for a Boba Fett and never made it to the cart before it sold out, under 2 mins. Yikes.

Betsuni Shit man I’m sorry about your dad. I personally know that can absolutely be a difficult thing to process and can certainly change a person’s mindset. I’m not sure how much a rando internet person who’s sent you TFs before can help, but I’m here if you need anything. Blow up my inbox if ya need to vent/purge, let me know if there’s any figures I can keep an eye out for

Thanks for the offer. He passed at the last day of May and I'm almost good about it now. Just that every-so-often I rethink my entire collection and go, "Hmm, maybe I shouldn't buy everything and need to dump a bunch." Just way too much for me to think and using buying toys as an escape lately.
    Also star wars did a drop today on funkos site, I made the mistake of trying for a Boba Fett and never made it to the cart before it sold out, under 2 mins. Yikes.

Yikes. Yeah anything Boba Fett seems to blow out of proportion these days...

oosik_betsuni.png
    Oooh, Amazon exclusive medic team? For those who don't want Arcee in pink and a cooler Ratchet.

https://www.amazon.com/Transformers-F0856-Trans-Fall-1/dp/B08557NFF2

oosik_betsuni.png
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I never understood why people like Boba Fett until Captain Phasma existed. Now I get it!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    edited August 2020

Interestingly, this appears to be the first of five Galactic Odyssy packs, each focused around a different planet.

Paradron, Dominus (No clue), Biosfera (Beast Wars stuff?), Micron (Micromasters, please!) and finally.. Botropolis.

Home of the Gobots.

Okay, I'm game. What you got, Hasbro?

Undead Scottsman on
    Story time: I mentioned earlier I failed to secure Boba on the Funko site, and I was also trying at that same time to secure a concept series Vader as well. But that one I had a back up for when the site fell through; the Vader is also going to GameStop. It isn't live until sometime tonight on the site, so I have a shot there. But I also saw on the Funko reddit that some lucky folks got theirs in person early.

So I called a few GameStop's, and hey wouldn't you know it the third one had them, and a few to mention that. I asked them to set one aside for me, and brought a friend along to maybe snag me a second. We roll up, they hand me the figure, it's beautiful. I go to ring it up .. street date isn't allowing it to ring until tomorrow. And they can't preorder or reserve it for me. The cashier looks apologetic and embarrassed it was on the shelf to start, but they can't let me have it. I sigh, knowing I won't be able to come back tomorrow because I have a flight to catch.

So either I secure it on the site sometime randomly, or I go home with no Vader. And the figure, which is 13 bucks at GameStop, is on eBay and the like for around 65 atm. Such is life. Guess we'll see how I fare later on. Maybe I'll get lucky?

(Narrator: He didn't.)

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I'm seriously jonesing for a new smart doll. A couple of days ago he put out an "only the brave" sale where he sends you a doll at random (with the potential that you might get a prototype doll) and I wanted to do it sooooooooo badly.

Someone hire me already before I die of withdrawal.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Story time: I mentioned earlier I failed to secure Boba on the Funko site, and I was also trying at that same time to secure a concept series Vader as well. But that one I had a back up for when the site fell through; the Vader is also going to GameStop. It isn't live until sometime tonight on the site, so I have a shot there. But I also saw on the Funko reddit that some lucky folks got theirs in person early.

So I called a few GameStop's, and hey wouldn't you know it the third one had them, and a few to mention that. I asked them to set one aside for me, and brought a friend along to maybe snag me a second. We roll up, they hand me the figure, it's beautiful. I go to ring it up .. street date isn't allowing it to ring until tomorrow. And they can't preorder or reserve it for me. The cashier looks apologetic and embarrassed it was on the shelf to start, but they can't let me have it. I sigh, knowing I won't be able to come back tomorrow because I have a flight to catch.

So either I secure it on the site sometime randomly, or I go home with no Vader. And the figure, which is 13 bucks at GameStop, is on eBay and the like for around 65 atm. Such is life. Guess we'll see how I fare later on. Maybe I'll get lucky?

That story had a seriously sad ending. There are days when I hate Star Wars scalpers... They're as bad as Transformers scalpers.
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I'm seriously jonesing for a new smart doll. A couple of days ago he put out an "only the brave" sale where he sends you a doll at random (with the potential that you might get a prototype doll) and I wanted to do it sooooooooo badly.

Aw that sucks! Hopefully someone hires you soon!

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited August 2020
    Betsuni wrote: »

That story had a seriously sad ending. There are days when I hate Star Wars scalpers... They're as bad as Transformers scalpers.
    Cambiata wrote: »

Aw that sucks! Hopefully someone hires you soon!

Actually, out of boredom (and spite?) I spent most of the rest of my evening refreshing the GameStop page for the item. My friend had a theory that it would go live around Midnight whatever timezone the headquarters of GameStop was located. So I figured based on that info it would go live 11-midnight my time.

Managed to see it go live at 11:06pm my time, snagged one in my cart, shared the link to the Funko reddit (because I'm a nice guy) and then it promptly sold out in 6 mins flat. I almost considered ordering a second to flip but that felt greedy.

But I got my blue saber boi secured.

z7y5dmr52oyz.jpg
    Can't wait to get mine

Local H Jay on
    Woo!!! Congrats! So it ended on a good note in the end.

oosik_betsuni.png
    He's no Boba, but I'm happy to get him for the sticker price. It's already going for 60 bucks on reseller sites, and given how quickly both restocks went it's likely going up from there. I didn't care that much, but having it in my hands and then being told no definitely put me on a warpath to snag one.

My Earthrise Snapdragon was delivered. Haven't had a chance to open yet, will hopefully do so this weekend.

edited August 2020
    Who wants a Nemesis Prime who's Siege Optimus Prime with Earthrise Prime's trailer and PotP's Nemesis Prime's accessories? (Plus a repainted Slitherfang and some energon cubes)

cf164d29da6f428b9c89b6363f819972xl.jpg

Also restocks of Omega Surpeme and Jetfire are available for preorders in multiple stores, so if you missed out, now's your chance.

Undead Scottsman on
    I saw this guy and was slightly saddened I bought my Earthrise "Alternative Universe" Optimus Prime and Slitherfang already till I saw that it was the Siege version of Prime and felt good again. I find it really weird that Hasbro is not really using the same Nemesis Prime since the paint looks different, and seemingly using the Power of the Prime sword and side guns. Either way I am slightly tempted to get this one, but already have the Power of the Prime one which is cool enough for me. On one hand this is cool that people here would be able to get a Takara exclusive easily, plus those who don't want to go through Walmart can get it from various outlets.

Knowing me I'll probably weaken eventually and want to buy it later on. :P Because there is just something awesome about Optimus Prime in black and a Decepticon.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Okay, so Snapdragon:

They seemed to be doing a new type of packaging here where the plastic shell is molded tightly around the toy and there was only one strap, which had its pros (not a lot of cutting) and cons (pain in the ass to get out).

Overall mostly easy and straightforward to transform between all modes. All my previous complaints regarding this gen of headmasters still apply, but Snapdragon manages to be worse (See below).

Robot mode is fine and definitely pays homage to the original.

Jet mode is fantastic, they even went through the trouble of putting cockpit controls in for the little dude. My only complaint with the jet mode was opening the canopy halves, as they seemed to stick.

T-Rex mode is “eh”. It’s fine up until the head which is an even tighter fit than standard new gen headmasters. I had a moment of panic trying to get the head out that I was going to be leaving part of it in there if you catch my drift.

My verdict: do T-Rex mode once, but display in either jet or robot.

Nobody wrote: »
    Okay, so Snapdragon:

They seemed to be doing a new type of packaging here where the plastic shell is molded tightly around the toy and there was only one strap, which had its pros (not a lot of cutting) and cons (pain in the ass to get out).

Overall mostly easy and straightforward to transform between all modes. All my previous complaints regarding this gen of headmasters still apply, but Snapdragon manages to be worse (See below).

Robot mode is fine and definitely pays homage to the original.

Jet mode is fantastic, they even went through the trouble of putting cockpit controls in for the little dude. My only complaint with the jet mode was opening the canopy halves, as they seemed to stick.

T-Rex mode is “eh”. It’s fine up until the head which is an even tighter fit than standard new gen headmasters. I had a moment of panic trying to get the head out that I was going to be leaving part of it in there if you catch my drift.

My verdict: do T-Rex mode once, but display in either jet or robot.

Aw that's a bummer. Can't wait for mine to play with and glad to have the warning about the T-Rex mode.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited August 2020
    I mean, the T-Rex is absolutely fine otherwise, and is even better than the original. I just need to check the TFW threads to see if somebody else ran into this and what their solution was

Nobody on
    Nobody wrote: »
    I mean, the T-Rex is absolutely fine otherwise, and is even better than the original. I just need to check the TFW threads to see if somebody else ran into this and what their solution was

Oh good, I honestly got these because I never had him or Apeface growing up but man did I want them badly.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I personally didn’t have that issue with my Snapdragon.

Keep in mind the little headmaster head can be inserted two different ways. You might want to try rotating it the opposite way to see if it’s a smoother fit.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    Hrm, the instructions weren’t very clear on the head insertion part (in fact it was flat out wrong when it came to arm positioning).

I’ll give it a try with the head reversed at some point

Pre-ordered the retro Doom legends, it's so good I had to snag
    jpit4pju3vdn.jpg

Also @Cambiata I think these guys mention the creator of the smart dolls in this podcast clip
    https://youtu.be/rW5jNyuN2FU
    Had no idea Danny Choo started out as a blogger before getting into making his fashion dolls, very interesting stuff to read up on

That retro Doom is pretty rad, especially the accessories, but I already own the one that just recently came out... fuuuu

Also, new TF Generations Select for Spin Out & Cordon double pack. I’m already getting Sunstreaker, so I definitely don’t need those, but neat if you’re all about the lambos

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    That retro Doom is pretty rad, especially the accessories, but I already own the one that just recently came out... fuuuu

Also, new TF Generations Select for Spin Out & Cordon double pack. I’m already getting Sunstreaker, so I definitely don’t need those, but neat if you’re all about the lambos

I have Cordon in MP and have Spin Out MP on pre-order so I'm good on these. Was tempted to get the Universal Studio Megatron and Redwing. Mainly because the Megatron came out after I went to Universal Studios and I didn't get Redwing since I do not have a Target Red card. Haven't bought either yet since I'm not sure about the Megatron and I already have the trio Seeker tri jets (plus the repainted Hotlink.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Figurarts for Reccombe comes with alt head for Ginyu.

Frog Ginyu

edited September 2020
    Also I've been putting so many orders for Funkos lately I did my first whoopsie and double ordered the latest wave of Pokemon Pops. Trying to see if I can cancel my GameStop order or else I'll have doubles. I'm a fool. Been using the Funko app to keep track of what I've ordered but forgot to log them apparently.

Also also, got my first Funko Soda. It's a neat line where the sculpts for the figures are Hannah Barbara styled, and they come in fun cans. Good for display.
    IMG-20200903-105658.jpg

Local H Jay on
    Huh, that’s pretty neat, I think I like that more than Pops.

Was out doing a bunch of chores yesterday and stopped by Target and lucked into the new Black Series Hondo “transported” from Galaxy’s Edge:
    5icoxrjx98da.jpeg

Love that rascal

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    Huh, that’s pretty neat, I think I like that more than Pops.

Was out doing a bunch of chores yesterday and stopped by Target and lucked into the new Black Series Hondo “transported” from Galaxy’s Edge:
    5icoxrjx98da.jpeg

Love that rascal

Holy cow you seriously got lucky since those things sold out the first day they released which was last week! Or was it this week? I can't remember since this week has been weird for me.

I managed to snag a R-3X yesterday online by pure luck! All of them are snapped up within seconds. Congrats!!!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Aw man nice, a DJ Rex would definitely be fun to have!

I think these dropped on Monday? Idk, it was definitely weird though. The local collector FB group was going wild when they came out, posting their finds and such. I definitely didn’t expect to find any days later, especially Hondo

I actually picked up the new Marvel Legends War Machine at the same time. That’s a really cool figure too, definitely fancier than a standard ML

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    Aw man nice, a DJ Rex would definitely be fun to have!

I think these dropped on Monday? Idk, it was definitely weird though. The local collector FB group was going wild when they came out, posting their finds and such. I definitely didn’t expect to find any days later, especially Hondo

I actually picked up the new Marvel Legends War Machine at the same time. That’s a really cool figure too, definitely fancier than a standard ML

I snagged him because I was obsessed with Star Tours and wanted a toy of RX-24 forever. This is as close as I'll ever get so he'll sit next to my mini Starspeeder. I know once I get to experience Disneyland I'll love him as R-3X.

oosik_betsuni.png