As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Kingdom Rush Vengeance, Aquanox & Crown Trick out today!

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Is the game play going to be cell shaded? That would certainly pique my interest.

Given Dotemu's recent output:
    https://youtu.be/owbKz1qcnUI
    https://youtu.be/exEFU-Y_vec
    https://youtu.be/YYmEsguGPQw

I'd say a hand-drawn style is likely

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I mean like, yes, mechanically it is fine

I am just more aware of how watered down the portrayals of the egyptian people might be than when I was 12

Ah. Yeah that's probably gonna be an issue, let's be honest. Maybe they'll cut the "funny" dialogue

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I played Caesar IV recently and it still bangs

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I had the demo for, I wanna say Caesar III, that came with my copy of Return to Krondor and I played the hell out of that demo when I was a kid. I've played that demo for more hours than I have some actual games.

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Dotemu has been doing some pretty stellar work lately, I'm pretty happy with what they're doing with Windjammers 2 and I would be VERY picky about it

6F32U1X.png
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Control AWE is cool. So far in the early stuff it's featuring some actual kinda scary horrory stuff. It's just one or two things, but it does feel like the devs are flexing their creative muscles a little more, at least when it comes to interacting and being in the world.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Is there an ideal class to play in Dragonfall? For story purposes or because an NPC doesn't cover it or whatever.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Is there an ideal class to play in Dragonfall? For story purposes or because an NPC doesn't cover it or whatever.

I personally think Decking + Rifles is the way to go, because the NPC decker sucks.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Not really?

Mage, maybe - you have a shaman who does a lot of buff spells, but you could do more offensive stuff. Or robotics are good too, you get a hacker but drones are a separate thing.

That said, you're not bringing every character with you every time regardless, so overlap is not going to be a problem and is kind of good. Your hacker is the most irritating NPC, so maybe that?

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    My default character is always a decker/face who wields pistols.

I had a good time with a mage on my second playthrough.

The NPC group doesn't have a rigger, a straight up magey mage or a whaddayacallem the no augment punchy person.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I don't think adepts are very good in the video games, honestly, I wouldn't recommend them

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I've tried all three shadowruns and I can't see them as anything other than the least interesting movenshoots around

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    How many other movenshoots have a decker convention and a blood mystery surrounding a soap opera?

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2020
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    My default character is always a decker/face who wields pistols.

This is my default too, yeah.

Also I tend to go */face no matter what since dialog and persuasion is 100% your PC only. Even if you built a combat monster and don't wanna use talky skills to bypass fights, having good charisma still lets you get better rewards, more lore, etc.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I don't think adepts are very good in the video games, honestly, I wouldn't recommend them

Adepts rise to the dizzying heights of OK in Hong Kong iirc. Like they're definitely more playable in that game than in the others, but it's still basically hard mode

rRwz9.gif
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I'll agree that most of what I like about the Shadowruns has to do with the setting, and the gameplay ranges from pretty good to mediocre.

But it's a great setting, and every other setting that's kind of like it is a great big step down by comparison.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Getting stuff that deals AP damage is pretty fun.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    The shadowrun team shooter was better than the tactics games.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Control AWE is cool. So far in the early stuff it's featuring some actual kinda scary horrory stuff. It's just one or two things, but it does feel like the devs are flexing their creative muscles a little more, at least when it comes to interacting and being in the world.

Is this a pretty standalone storyline, or is it tied in at all to stuff from the main story?

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

I loved that game and the mix and match abilities/characters

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    it's wild that HBS went on to make Battletech, one of the best movenshoots around

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »

Adepts rise to the dizzying heights of OK in Hong Kong iirc. Like they're definitely more playable in that game than in the others, but it's still basically hard mode

They are okay tactics games but great RPGs with sharp writing and fun characters in an interesting setting.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Grimrock 2
    from my staging area in Twigroot Forest, I made my way over to the Cemetery and defeated Xarant Wormbound. He's annoying, at best, because he can summon zombies, but doesn't always. Some judicious use of invis and a bit of luck won the day. A bit further in, I picked up the first of the three remaining power-gems. Made it to Orul Wormbound's crypt and had a very close fight with the Trickster; I'm not entirely sure how I won. His AI seems weird.

I was not looking forward to the Orul fight; iirc he's basically a redux of his brother, but there's an additional demon-eye in the mix. Turns out you don't need to fight him! I cast invis, activated the fight, slipped behind the demon-eye and pulled the lever that opens the door. Once out of the room, I closed the door, re-applied invis, and then very carefully snuck back in, grabbed the gem, and left.

Headed into the Castle. I remain frustrated with the cat-walk room: fire elementals spawn at two points and are exceedingly hard to deal with in that context.

Ended up saving at the crystal on the fourth floor.

Somehow won the fight at the top of the castle. Not an easy fight for me - the boss has significant periods of invulnerability and summons monsters from across the island. Including, of course, mosquito packs. His dragon is painful at melee range and spells have to hit just right, so it took a while. And it took most of my healing items. I would be concerned over this except there's only one fight left and I don't remember it being *that* hard.

He dropped the last power-gem, and on my way out of the castle I picked up the Essence of Balance.

Completely forgot there was a crystal just before the last fight, so my penultimate save is off in the Catacombs. The first half of the fight is relatively easy, unless I screw up and let him release ... *sigh* mosquito packs.

I'm currently stuck on the second half. I should be able to win, but I might need another level or two.

Tamin on
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    3clipse wrote: »

I personally think Decking + Rifles is the way to go, because the NPC decker sucks.

Decker/Rigger is also a pretty fun build. And I will also echo your NPC decker sucking.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I tend to do a decker/mage hybrid in shadowrun games.
    Possibly with some light rigger stuff on top.
    And yes, i know how unoptimal it is, i don't care.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Ubik wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

I loved that game and the mix and match abilities/characters

No game since has done teleportation as well as that game did. Clutching a round with a series of teleporting through walls, ceilings, and floors while picking enemies off one at a time is one of my favourite gaming memories.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I had the demo for, I wanna say Caesar III, that came with my copy of Return to Krondor and I played the hell out of that demo when I was a kid. I've played that demo for more hours than I have some actual games.

Ceasar III and Simcity 2k were my JAM back in the day. God I loved them both so much. I played dozens of hours of both.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I started playing Control and quit not because it was bad but because I want to come back to it tomorrow when I've had some more sleep. It is cool as hell. The SCP game we all always wanted.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

Thanks for posting this. Very much.

I think some of the criticism is very subjective but it's mostly clear about that and the reasons why it is so. I don't agree with some of it, even!

But I think it is important to know and hear perspective from the marginalised communities depicted and their takes and engagement with the game; while I don't think the above would be a universal one, I am glad to know it and be aware of it during my own engagement with the game.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    While rarely good for a first run because of npc skills being subpar and you'll miss stuff.

On a 2nd run I recommend trying out an Orc specced fully into melee, durability and unarmed.

Fun just to run around punching everything in it's stupid face

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    The previous Dark Souls talk got we wanting to play a dark souls, but not Dark Souls, so I bought Ashen, which has turned out to be a slower paced (both mechanically and thematically) dark souls. It's not as polished as I would like when it comes to combat, but I am enjoying it so far. The "everything was shit, but now there is hope" is a nice change from Dark Souls' "there once was hope, but now everything is shit".

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I started playing Control and quit not because it was bad but because I want to come back to it tomorrow when I've had some more sleep. It is cool as hell. The SCP game we all always wanted.

Oh that already exists.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/700330/SCP_Secret_Laboratory/

And it just had a big update awhile back.

It is free and super fun with friends. Wonder if we could get a group going for it.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    it's wild that HBS went on to make Battletech, one of the best movenshoots around
    I don't think it's that wild. Shadowrun may have its issues, but it's got plenty of stuff that's fun to use. I'm not surprised that their game that focuses more on the tactics gameplay as opposed to the roleplaying would be quality.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Well this looks neat a punch.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=3jZ_35z5MNc

MHW Iceborne's final free update is bringing Fatalis.

Mx. Quill on
    https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=nmMUU2VvgI8

where my flying octopus is???

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=nmMUU2VvgI8

where my flying octopus is???

in another castle

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List

that sure is representative of ubisoft tho

This discussion has been closed.