As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Infinity Train: Season 4 announced, coming April 15th (on HBO max)

GundiGundi Serious BismuthRegistered User regular
edited March 2021 in Social Entropy++
Infinity Train is a cartoon show by showrunner Owen Dennis and produced by Cartoon Network. Is it good? It is good. It has three seasons, and you can view them on Cartoon Network or its online app... Hah, no, what are you some kind of moron? Thinking a show produced by Cartoon Network would be available on Cartoon Network. You fool. You ignoramus. No, to watch Infinity Train you must go on a magical journey. It involves getting an Amazon Prime subscription to watch the first two seasons... and getting an HBO subscription to watch the third one. The first five episodes are out now and the second half will be released in a few weeks. This is definitely great and not infuriating at all.

But the show is good though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lCscBFY2Lg

As for spoilers at minimum I think folks should spoil any stuff in season 3. Might want to spoiler all seasons if folks come in this thread who've just started, cause the show is so narrative focused. I'll start:
In season 3 everything is fine. It's fine. Everything's fine. It's fine. It's fine.

Gundi on

• AbsurdPropositionAbsurdProposition Registered User regular
    I saw this tweet from the creator wrt the show being on HBO Max:

I'd be fine with spoiler tags for the whole run of the show, since mysteries of the first season become basic mechanics for later ones.

Season 3 is great so far!

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have Amazon AND HBO Max! I can watch all of it!

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    First two seasons are also on MAX, that's how I watched it. Might be different in other regions though?

Anyway, show's real good, can't wait for the rest.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    This show's incredible

Season 1 is really great, and season 2 blows it out of the water

Season 3 is terrific so far but 2 is so specifically up my alley that I doubt it'll top it for me

Of the like, post-adventure time cartoons, this one is easily my favorite

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Yeah Season 2 also pretty much wowed me. The entire second half of that season season was just me going wow

wow

wow.

Three new episodes are up.

Latest eps spoiler:
    I love that what they thought was a signal from a bunch of passengers was just Amelia's giant number instead.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Season 2
    Episdode 8 was fucking nuts. I wasn't expecting to have a kids show have a dude get cut in half and then spend the entire episode talking shit as he slowly bleeds out until the protagonist grinds him to death against the wheel of a train as you hear him scream. And then the like, actual story and writing of the episode stands on its own as a really interesting interrogation of the premise of the entire show.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Season 2 ends in a way where Im genuinely annoyed theyll likely never cover events off the train

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Grace this is a bad plan but then again literally all your plans have been... well, kind of bad.

Simon this is also a bad plan but then again literally all your plans have also been kind of bad.

edited August 2020
    So Simon is just full on a cult leader now
    "Even if she is our god shes wrong." Come on man

King Riptor on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    So Simon is just full on a cult leader now
    "Even if she is our god shes wrong." Come on man
    i mean he always has been

the apex is a fascist cult

i'm assuming he's about to learn that his number has gotten higher than grace's as a result of everything that's happened and he's gonna try to pull rank on her

god i love this show. it didn't hit me at all that Hazel being a turtle was a sign that she was made by Amelia until they called it out

Last episodes of the season are up. I hope the show gets the views it needs to be renewed for more seasons.
    especially since, judging by the pattern of past seasons, a Season 4 would follow Amelia and Hazel which is a thread I'd really like to see more of.

Just your average children's cartoon. Happy ending for everybody.

Gundi wrote: »
    Just your average children's cartoon. Happy ending for everybody.

I was happy

Yeah wow I was. Not expecting it to end that way!

I still think I personally preferred season 2, but. Dang. Dang!

edited August 2020
    Man the train is so f-ed up.

Also the last episode of this season was the first time I ever felt the show was a little rushed, but still had some really good moments. Do feel like having another episode to resolve things would have made the pacing better.

Gundi on
    Man the train is so f-ed up.

Also the last episode of this season was the first time I ever felt the show was a little rushed, but still had some really good moments. Do feel like having another episode to resolve things would have made the pacing better.
    yeah, the moment where grace shifted from "I'm sorry" -> "I'm not responsible for your problems" felt like it could've used a little more room

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Ending
    I was half expecting a twist where the Gohms "reset" people who are too far gone, but nope! Gruesome murder! Jesus christ!

edited August 2020
    Couple things: (spoilers for whole season)
    -I'm super glad Hazel just left Grace and Simon. I wasn't expecting it but... yeah that is the healthy smart decision. Even if Grace at least did care about her they've both done awful things, and awful manipulative things to her.
    -Did anyone catch how in Hazel's flashback the train looked totally different from how it appeared for Tulip. For Tulip it appeared as a relatively ordinary looking passenger train, for Grace it appeared as a fantastically colorful old-timey life-sized toy train car. It's super insidious that it changes what it looks like to ensure the people it wants to "help" get on the train.
    -I like how they don't dehumanize Simon. Even when he straight up snaps and goes full murderer mode it still makes a point to show that he's distraught and actually conflicted about what he's doing. From a practical standpoint I don't know how else they could have resolved his story after he attempted to murder Grace. Maybe if Amelia or One-One came to restrain him and seperate him from other train passengers and denizens during his "rehabilitation?" Cause like had he not died he would have probably kept trying to hurt other people.
    -This is total speculation and mainly based on the contrivance of having a tentacle dog appear on top of the train, but I wonder if the dog monsters serve an actual purpose on the train. Maybe they're attracted to numbers and serve as a sort of last resort "immune response" on the train. Or maybe it was just a contrivance to allow Simon to go full murderer mode and resolve it without Hazel having to kill him.

Gundi on
    My thoughts
    On train design: iirc the train also had a similar appearance for Amelia as it did for Tulip. But then, both of them are also more engineering types so they could have just had similar aesthetic tastes that the train was capitalizing on.

I did wonder too what the purpose of Ghoms are. We do see them attack denizens as well, so they don't care just about eating humans. The fact that the Ghom poofed after eating Simon is so interesting though, there's something more going on than just them being predators.

Also I love that so much of the Apex misunderstanding number direction was a result of Grace being insecure and asserting it must be good that her number was higher than Simon's when they first meet. It's such a simple, human reason.

The moral of the story is, don't train child soldiers.

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    The moral of the story is, don't train child soldiers.

Heh..."train." That is my only contribution to this thread until I watch the eps.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Okay, back after watching the episodes, with an "expected" holy shit reaction.
    I was not expecting the show to straight up kill a kid, Last Crusade False-Grail style, even after the HBO Max transition, but there we go. We've seen Gohms age characters before, but it seemingly happened really quickly to Simon, which suggests to me that the higher "number" makes one more susceptible to them. That could also justify the Gohm showing up in the fight, since the higher numbers may also make them more aggressive to a target. Certainly another good reason for Amelia to have a force field, huh?

Speaking of which, my theory since Amelia turned Atticus into one is that the Gohms are the only native life in the Trainverse, and as such it's actually the force that powers more active Denizens. So Amelia didn't so much transform Atticus as "reset" him to his natural state.

I wonder if the series has a logical end game, and I hope season 4 details more about the history of the train and where it came from. Was One-One even there originally, and how much did he create the train versus being a component of it? And here's a question that's sort of been out in the open. It's a train. Where is it GOING?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Oh hey I have HBO Max and I never saw this show and was meaning to watch it! Win/win for me!

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Oh hey I have HBO Max and I never saw this show and was meaning to watch it! Win/win for me!

It's definitely worth your time.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    the creators have come out and said that, as of right now, this is all that's planned, and the only way they're getting called back for a season 4 is if season 3 does really good numbers for hbomax

which is a bummer because i feel like seasons 1 and 2 both end on very clear-cut ending points. after both of those finales i was like "ok, this was a complete story, i don't need anymore than this, in fact i'm kind of surprised they're even planning to continue it"

whereas season 3 feels way more like it needs a season 4

I mean I can't imagine changes in its distribution helped it a lot, even if the plan was always for it to be on HBO max. Only I haven't like, seen any advertisement for it beyond just people liking it and spreading it by word of mouth.

Wouldn't be the first real good show that could use another season but never got one. *shrug*

edited August 2020
    The thumbnail for it on max is awful. I look past it constantly and its like third in my favorites list

King Riptor on
    Season one was fun, then session two and three get hard real quick like holy shit

Well finished season 3. Holy shit.
    I did not expect that. Also, the beasts just sort of die when they energy suck someone? Also holy shit that was gruesome

The whole bug dog exploding thing probably has some implications that may get addressed if there is ever a season 4.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Do the roach dogs embody entropy? I'm starting to get curious about the nature of the train dimension.

Also something I have been kind of consistently impressed with is the music. It managed to both mostly stay within a certain synthy techno style but uses that very specific style in a lot more ways than I would have thought possible.

TankHammer wrote: »
    Do the roach dogs embody entropy? I'm starting to get curious about the nature of the train dimension.

Well
    If the Tape car description is accurate theyre denizens of the Tape car world

Also, this was a great AMV for Book 3:

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »

Well
    If the Tape car description is accurate theyre denizens of the Tape car world

I'm gonna be honest, I forgot a bit of the lore set up in season 1.
    I forgot Amelia was just another passenger, for example, who just took over the train for awhile and we don't actually know the train's origin until season 3 reminded me.

Infinity Train Season 4 is confirmed by HBOMax's official Twitter:

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Infinity Train Season 4 is confirmed by HBOMax's official Twitter:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS