As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Against Everyone’s Better Judgement The [Movie] Thread is Open

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My opinion on Cat People was

I thought Malcolm McDowell was hanging dong but it was just a weird piece of flesh that he pulled off his belly and then ate.

Sums up the movie well I think.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    We just saw tenet.

I can see why Nolan wanted people to see it in the cinema. Aurally it is Off The Charts. The sound is all encompassing and to me, was the majority of the experience.

Of course America is a tyre fire so if you are there, don’t.

My criticism of the movie is strangely my favourite part of the movie. The audio is fantastic, but at the same time, there is a lot of spoken dialogue that is difficult to hear, and to an extent I dig the idea that not everything is necessarily clear, but it felt like for the first third of the movie I was on the edge of actually following what was going on because I could barely hear what people were saying at key points. Like the aural problems seemed to me were what he was going for in that old dark knight rises trailer with bane being hard to hear, and while that cut doesn’t exist now, I feel that with only bane being hard to hear is different to what is going on here where there were multiple people that were difficult to hear.

Blake T on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Maaaaan, Near Dark isn’t streaming ANYWHERE

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I don't know why Nolan keeps fucking doing that audio mix shit where you can't hear dialogue

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    My criticism of the movie is strangely my favourite part of the movie. The audio is fantastic, but at the same time, there is a lot of spoken dialogue that is difficult to hear, and to an extent I dig the idea that not everything is necessarily clear, but it felt like for the first third of the movie I was on the edge of actually following what was going on because I could barely hear what people were saying at key points.

that sounds awful (and ableist). i don't even look at my phone or anything while watching movies at home because i want to see/hear everything

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I’m not Nolan, but I feel it was like a purposely done to give a sense of confusion, like you understood enough but it didn’t want you hear everything so you are constantly guessing.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Yeah, it hasn't been for a while, if ever. I had to order it on bluray about a year ago to be able to watch it. Even that isn't a good option now though - I was able to get one for around $20, and it looks like I got pretty lucky given the prices for it now.

Ketar wrote: »

Yeah, it hasn't been for a while, if ever. I had to order it on bluray about a year ago to be able to watch it. Even that isn't a good option now though - I was able to get one for around $20, and it looks like I got pretty lucky given the prices for it now.

Stream it for me!

Stream it for me!

I could do that! Eventually.

I ordered an external bluray drive recently since my pc doesn't have an optical drive and I wanted something I could use for streaming stuff on disc for friends (I usually just use a playstation for watching movies on disc). I was planning on fooling around with it this weekend and getting everything ready so I could start using it to stream stuff.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm thinking I might mess around with Kast tonight so I can try to watch Bill & Ted 3 with a couple friends

Maddoc wrote: »
    I'm thinking I might mess around with Kast tonight so I can try to watch Bill & Ted 3 with a couple friends

I'm doing that tomorrow night. It's killing me to not just watch it now.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I've had a lot of trouble streaming anything of Kast that isn't just a free Youtube video

It seems like most of the movie streaming sites have set up anti-screen share technology of some sort

edited August 2020
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I've had a lot of trouble streaming anything of Kast that isn't just a free Youtube video

It seems like most of the movie streaming sites have set up anti-screen share technology of some sort

Really? I use amazon all the time. Used vimeo on Wednesday, and have also used Google Play and Vudu within the last few weeks. I used Netflix for Fire Saga not too long ago. I even tested it with Bill and Ted on Vudu last night and it worked fine.

edit: OH, it does vary by browser though. Sometimes I have to change browsers for certain services.

Ketar on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

I'm doing that tomorrow night. It's killing me to not just watch it now.

I already bought it! It's right there! Digitally speaking, anyway.

Yeah it's real hard to not go home and watch it right after work.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Really? I use amazon all the time. Used vimeo on Wednesday, and have also used Google Play and Vudu within the last few weeks. I used Netflix for Fire Saga not too long ago. I even tested it with Bill and Ted on Vudu last night and it worked fine.

edit: OH, it does vary by browser though. Sometimes I have to change browsers for certain services.

I suppose I've only tried it with Chrome, but yeah, pretty much nothing works for me. Even if I rent something on Youtube (as opposed to a free video) it won't work.

They have added a digital rental option for Bill and Ted Face the Music, by the way. It's $19.99 to rent and $24.99 to buy though, so...

Yeah I just ended up buying it, that rental price is just a joke

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Based on the visceral dopamine reaction I had to the vintage Orion Pictures title card, just ignore everything I have to say about the new Bill and Ted movie. I was exactly the rube they were looking for, and I can't be trusted from here on out.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I only watched the first 5 minutes or so, but between that title card and the event that they chose to use to kick the movie off, I was instantly sold.

Now to just be strong and wait until tomorrow night.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I have now paused Bill and Ted Face the Music nine minutes in to purchase and watch Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure again.

IGNORE ME

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I don't know why Nolan keeps fucking doing that audio mix shit where you can't hear dialogue

I feel like this is most movies when I go to the theater though.

Like the staff at your local multiplex isn't going to go rebalance the audio for every movie so if it's an action movie they just crank up the bass so the explosions go brrrrr and move on.

Or there's that speaker that started fucking up 15 years ago and management is too cheap to fix it

rhylith on
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I have now paused Bill and Ted Face the Music nine minutes in to purchase and watch Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure again.

IGNORE ME

Yeah I wanna watch Face the Music but I have realized I do not actually have the originals on DVD and I need to watch them first I think

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I'm watching Face the Music, and the two daughters can't act quite as gormless as Bill and Ted, so their scenes so far are kind of distracting. Plus,
    Mr Jimmy Hendrix? Just say Mr Hendrix
    , if people really don't get the reference they probably shouldn't be watching the film.

I'm watching Face the Music, and the two daughters can't act quite as gormless as Bill and Ted, so their scenes so far are kind of distracting. Plus,
    , if people really don't get the reference they probably shouldn't be watching the film.

Samara Weaving can do no wrong! None!!

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I mean, why? It's entirely possible for The Youths of Today to want to watch this film while also not getting that reference unless it's made more explicit.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    It’s okay for kids not to be aware of someone who was old news when their parents were young.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    It’s okay for kids not to be aware of someone who was old news when their parents were young.

LIAR!
    </carolkane>

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    The trailer for Dune is supposed to come out next week, and I just saw a couple quotes from the actors:

“Love this cast and madly deeply love Denis, and can’t wait for you to see the film and meet Duncan Idaho. Trailer dropping on September 9. I saw, it’s the best trailer I’ve ever seen. Can’t wait for you to see it.” - Jason Mamoa

“We are all so proud of this film as it slowly creeps its way to the masses. This is another era begun. Another level of filmmaking. Back to an emotional landscape that gladiators' imagination can conjure. This is the beginning of a whole new awe.” - Josh Brolin

Mamoa really needs to get on Brolin's level of Herbert-esque sci-fi nonsense superfluities.

//

I also went to the theatre at noon for a matinee of The Personal History of David Copperfield. (I'm in Canada, but figured it'd be a good idea to get into a first showing as far as air quality and such.) One other person there; fine experience. Such is the world that I basically touched nothing but my seat. The movie itself I had wanted to see due to being Armando Iannucci's latest. Really enjoyed The Thick of It and Death of Stalin, which 'Copperfield doesn't really play like. It's a good telling of the Dickens, and I adapted and enjoyed, but wasn't precisely what I had for hoped.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    They have added a digital rental option for Bill and Ted Face the Music, by the way. It's $19.99 to rent and $24.99 to buy though, so...

Is that on Prime or something else? The prices are expensive. They want you to just buy it.

Krathoon on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Bill and Ted Theory
    The daughters save the day by pulling together a historical megaband.

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Is that on Prime or something else? The prices are expensive. They want you to just buy it.

It is actually way better than the other first run movies that came out and just had the $20 rental option. I have paid $25 to own a movie in the past, but never $20 to watch one once.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    Krathoon wrote: »

Prime, Vudu, FandangoNow, Microsoft Store, DirecTV, Google Play. The pricing looks to be the same everywhere.

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    It's also streaming on Skoodle, Peacock, TVWow, Zinger and Disney+

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    You made up at least two of those.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Are you sure? Who can say, really

640qocnq4ske.gif
    I've seen Excellent Adventure recently enough that it remains fresh in my mind

But it's been probably a decade since I've seen Bogus Journey, so that's definitely on the docket prior to Face the Music

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I just watched the first two movies last night with some internet buds and I commented that despite having some of the time slurs it is so positive and goofy that it's hard to hold it against it. Compared to like, Ace Ventura which is unwatchable today.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I fucked up by watching Face The Music without having seen any other Bill & Ted film yet, so I wound up thinking of it as just okay; I'll definitely fix that at some point. Surprisingly emotional at times, but also some parts (including the ending) felt noticeably rushed

Samara Weaving is still great
    And the Jimi Hendrix guitar+Mozart piano duel ruled

Sweeney Tom on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If it’s any comfort, bob, I suspect the movie is gonna be a bit shit.

This discussion has been closed.