As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Thread a retrospective

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Might want to try the Tamiya clear paints or the citadel clear paints.

This is what I got over Vallejo metallic aluminium and Vallejo metallic burnt iron I think. I used Tamiya through an airbrush but I'm pretty certain the citadel clear paints are the same and they can be brushed on, just takes a few coats.
    9x9l9yp898h6.jpg
    t24hedoklt99.jpg

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Related, I've been using Turbo Dork metallics for my necron stuff and they're really very good

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    If I remember correctly the Tamiya clears are a bit more hazardous than your regular acrylics so keep that in mind.

honovere wrote: »
    If I remember correctly the Tamiya clears are a bit more hazardous than your regular acrylics so keep that in mind.

It definitely has a very strong and sweet odor.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Definitely be in a well-ventilated area before using Tamiya paints. Doubly so if airbrushing.

If that is too much of a concern, GW now sells clear paints that were formerly sold by Forge World for use on Heresy minis that have the same effect.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    It's probably just a benzene derivative. Make sure you've got airflow and aren't actively ingesting the paint and you'll be fine.

You regularly inhale nastier things from being around car exhaust.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
    If I cant actively ingest the paints whats even the point to this hobby?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    If I cant actively ingest the paints whats even the point to this hobby?
    uajcsh72d6ge.png

I mean that's why we mostly use water-based paints... They're delicious!

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I had to get a respirator after my first trip on the dragon after airbrushing Tamiya clear coat. The headache and facial numbness are not worth it.

Also, I thought that nice candy red came from Tamiya Clear Red over a gold base coat and not silver? Is irresponsibly using my painting tools finally catching up to me?

I had to get a respirator after my first trip on the dragon after airbrushing Tamiya clear coat. The headache and facial numbness are not worth it.

Also, I thought that nice candy red came from Tamiya Clear Red over a gold base coat and not silver? Is irresponsibly using my painting tools finally catching up to me?

No doubt it looks better over gold but the two spoons I did were over aluminium and gun metal grey from Vallejo metallics.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    At this point I'm just messing around to see what I can come up with, with the colors I have on hand, hoping something looks cool :lol:

wiyq3bp372dd.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    I like that

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    It turned out better than expected

Also apologies for flooding the thread with in progress stuff

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »

No worries, seems like the thread working as intended to me!

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea actually seeing the creative process can be super useful.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Clear red over silver = Word Bearers
    Clear red over gold = Thousand Sons

Clear red over silver = Word Bearers
    Clear red over gold = Thousand Sons

Yeah word bearers is what I got from blood angels red over leadbelcher. I think I meed to move away from metallics and look at high gloss reds

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Picked up a Testors red gloss rattle can, I think this might work for the base I want

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Asher wrote: »
    J wrote: »
    Your Keisotsu look great Asher. You got any hot tips for painting infinity? I'm feeling totally bogged down in the miniscule details.

Haha, funny you should ask, I'm currently having the same conversation with a friend IRL. I think it comes down to less is more.

I probably spend about 1-1.5 hours per model on the Keisotsu as part of my on going maximum bang for buck initiative and as a result each colour is really simple. You don't need to do a lot of layers because the models are so tiny.

For the Nomad Industrial Rave Punk trousers say, id probably do what I did for the Keisotsu which is zenithal prime to light grey, then go black template over the top. One layer of BT over light grey gives you lots of nice soft shading, then one highlight with a dark grey on raised areas, then very thin light grey and be done. For the ribbing I'd probably just go in with an appropriate contrast then do maybe 2 highlights on the raised areas. When I'm highlighting something I've used contrast on I just mix a bit of the contrast in with Pallid Wych Flesh and it gives you a great highlight colour.

Basically I think if you paint them too well they end up looking muddy and take forever, but if you actually scale back the number of layers and do starker highlights the detail pops more.

1 - 1.5 hours a model. Get out. Ha!

Anyway, I applied a bit of what you suggested. Especially on the legs.

4zu93siq4hzl.jpg

Pretty chuffed with the results! Got a Heckler ready to go next.

GR_Zombie wrote: »

webguy20 wrote: »

I :heartbeat: this thread

None of my buddies are big on anything but stock GW paint schemes, so I really appreciate the feedback in here.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Your Keisotsu look great Asher. You got any hot tips for painting infinity? I'm feeling totally bogged down in the miniscule details.

Haha, funny you should ask, I'm currently having the same conversation with a friend IRL etc.

1 - 1.5 hours a model. Get out. Ha!

Anyway, I applied a bit of what you suggested. Especially on the legs.

4zu93siq4hzl.jpg

Pretty chuffed with the results! Got a Heckler ready to go next.

Man sick! Looks really good! I'm glad my suggestions helped.

I've always been a pretty fast painter and basically my secondary hobby over the last few years has been figure out how to paint models as quickly as possibly while still looking good. The Keisotsu are deceptive because they are really only like 4 or 5 colours. The white is 90% done in like 90 minutes with an airbrush, only needing a little highlighting and shading. The pants and greys are all just Black Templar over the grey primer, with a couple of quick highlights, the red I did properly, about 5 layers of highlighting, but the actual surface area of it is miniscule, so quick again. The only bits that I really spent time on were the faces and hair. And confession time, the hair is basically contrast with a couple of highlights (using the pallid wych flesh method then white) and 1 additional shade.

Also i botched Bleach boys face kinda bad, but you can't see it behind the gun. ;)

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    My friend is doing a Dark Angels army and is using Nocturne Green for the base and I never realized there was such a dark ass green and it looks pretty nice. I painted the fist on my second Reanimator to match my friends scheme, nocturne green with a warpstone glow highlight. I tried to do battle damage around the pits that are battle damage but I think they look kind of bad. Might just paint over them and leave the outline highlight.
    QWGthbX.jpg

edited August 2020
    Run over the thing with a green shader and youre good

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular

None of my buddies are big on anything but stock GW paint schemes, so I really appreciate the feedback in here.

:eh:

What's the point of painting your own plastic army mans if you're just going to make them generic?

So I've really leant into the Vaporwave A E S T H E T I C of my bases

Yes I did Sky Earth NMM on a sewer grate. I am a crazy person

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Can't have the vaporware look without some chrome! Could go full throttle and add some neon pink.

They're super hard to photograph but the purple shades into pink. Not full neon, cos I need the contrast, but theres a nod of the head

I love these

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Wish I had known how awful it is to paint trim on CSM before I started this army

I get each model to that step and just shelf it for days/weeks because I'd rather do literally anything else

That's not how reflections work!

• WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    Asher, you said you might go back and add litter later. No, please keep those clean! Way too cool to hide.

Ashers vaporware bases has me of the mind to just scrap all my attempted Custodes paint schemes and just go way out of the box and do vaporware Custodians.

I've never painted a fun, bright project... my Wolves are grungy grimdark space wolves and the other armies I've worked on painting are all GW stock schemes. I've never stepped that far out of the box, but it seems like it might be fun to try.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufP8ka3KGno

The Robot with some advice featuring his first painted mini

One of my bad habits is still using the standard brush to generally paint base coats or other things

Howd you get your hex pattern?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

:eh:

What's the point of painting your own plastic army mans if you're just going to make them generic?

Because you like the lore of a particular army, don’t particularly care about putting in the work to create your own scheme, or just get satisfaction from following directions to achieve a proven result?

Some folks like building the LEGO just like the box, and that’s ok.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    What's the standard primer of choice, for white and black bases?