As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Kingdom Rush Vengeance, Aquanox & Crown Trick out today!

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Shadowrun Returns I played a Physical Adept. Awful combo don't recommend.

Dragonfall I played a Rigger. It was super fun. Had enough points to add some secondary skills but I can't remember what. But I mainly dumped points into Rigging so hard that I was way ahead of the drones available, and hitting a story point where new ones unlocked in shops was always a big exciting thing.

Hong Kong I wanted in on that sweet cyber action, so I made a Street Sam who did assault rifles and spent heavily on cybernetics. Also super fun.

I guess if I ever go back I'd have to finally do a magic-user. Probably a Shaman to get high charisma and a bunch of talking skills.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I've been meaning to play a shaman for ages because I want that charisma

I just also love the NPC shamans in both Dragonfall and Hong Kong

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Dungeons of Edera is a rogue-lite action RPG dungeon crawler featuring procedurally generated levels where you will battle through hordes of monsters to restore Edera to its former glory.
    20200828 dungeons of edera (dungeon crawler, adventure, rpg, combat)

"The Forbidden Islands are Calling, Unlock their Secrets
    Shipwrecked alone on an uncharted island, explore, adapt and navigate the land and perilous seas to stay alive.
    As Kara, you are a warrior, caught at sea in a fierce storm, adrift from your tribe. Thrown from your boat, at the mercy of the turbulent waters, you are tossed on to the shores of the Forbidden Islands, a mysterious paradise.

With no boat, no food or tools, just the will and skill to survive, uncover this beautiful island’s rich resources. Craft tools and weapons to hunt and defend yourself against nature itself with its wild and fantastical creatures.

Whilst exploring further islands and the scattered ruins across their lands, secrets of the past and glimpses of the future are revealed. Unravel the mystery behind them all and you may find more than just your way home."
    20200828 windbound (adventure, RPG, survival, crafting)

"Experience the most exciting and immersive beat-em-up combat system ever – become a kickass ninja and slice some demons in style! Join a band of wisecracking warriors in a bloody adventure through the land of mythical monsters and mysterious machines.
    FEATURES
    Play solo or with friends: 4 player local and online co-op (Online co-op available with Steam Remote Play, and Nvidia Geforce NOW).
    Experience immersive and intuitive controls: right analog stick controls your weapon giving you instant access to extensive moveset
    Enjoy gameplay that never gets old: master the multilayered combat, overcome clever enemies and face epic bosses
    Experiment with freestyle combat system: mix and match combos, switch characters on the fly and turn enemy abilities against them"
    20200828 Shing! (action, beat-em-up, roguelike, arcade)

Journey from weekend warrior to racing legend & experience the thrill & emotion of authentic racing. Own, upgrade and personalise hundreds of cars, customise your driver, tailor every setting & play the way you want in YOUR Ultimate Driver Journey.
    20200828 Project Cars 3 (driving, simulation, multiplayer, racing)

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I've had issues with wolves attacking through the protection radius of a torch and flare in The Long Dark

One one hand, I like that it isn't complete protection, on the other hand it sucks to lose a character like that

"In Wasteland 3 you take command of a squad of Desert Rangers, lawmen and women in a post-nuclear world, trying to rebuild society from the ashes. More than a century after the bombs fell, you’re fighting a losing battle to keep your beloved Arizona alive. Then the self-proclaimed Patriarch of Colorado radios, promising aid if you'll do a job he can only entrust to an outsider—rescue his land from the ambitions of his three bloodthirsty children.

You’re dispatched on a desperate quest from the scorching deserts to the snowy mountains to start from scratch, building a new base, finding a snow-worthy vehicle, training new recruits, and fighting your way through hostile frozen wastes. All the while, you'll have to decide who to trust in this land torn apart by corruption, intrigue, warring factions, crazed cultists, cutthroat gangs, and bitter sibling rivalries. Build a reputation for yourself by making decisions that will profoundly impact Colorado, its inhabitants and the story you experience. Will you be Colorado’s savior or its worst nightmare?

Wasteland 3 is a squad-based RPG from inXile entertainment, featuring challenging tactical turn-based combat and a deep, reactive story full of twists, turns, and brutal ethical decisions that will keep you hooked whether you’re a Wasteland veteran or new to the series. Create a squad of up to six Rangers and customize them with perks and abilities geared to your playstyle. You even get your own battle truck, which you can upgrade into a hardened war beast, bristling with weapons, to help mow down your enemies."
    20200928 Wasteland 3 (tactics, RPG, narrative, post-apocalyptic)

"Immortal Realms: Vampire Wars is an engaging strategy game set in a dark vampire world in turmoil, that combines empire management and turn-based combat with unique card-game elements.

Immortal Realms: Vampire Wars is an engaging strategy game set in a dark vampire world in turmoil, that combines empire management and turn-based combat with unique card-game elements. Descend into a mythical world filled with horrors and legends – and hurl yourself into a compelling gothic epos paired with a challenging game experience.

Total War meets turn-based meets Vampires!
    "
    2020928 Immortal Realms (card-based, strategy, turn-based, vampires)

too
    many
    games

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I'm liking the new brawl mode and perk system they added to Griftlands since i last played.

steam_sig.png
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm liking the new brawl mode and perk system they added to Griftlands since i last played.

What is the early access cycle of that one? I bought it a while ago because, well, I knew my buying it was inevitable, but I haven't started playing it yet. Is there a plan to leave early access publicly available or anything like that?

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

I played shaman all the way through those games and I really recommend it. just the sheer number of ways you have to talk your way into or out of places makes it really fun for me.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Not sure why I was thinking this way, but I was kinda shocked by Wasteland 3's install sized being almost 40 gigs, like it makes sense , but I've been playing wastelands so long, my brain just stuck them in the 1-10gb category

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Spent a couple of hours with Spiritfarer.

Wow I like that game a lot. Very charming, very relaxing.

Ya I really like that there's no rush to anything. Heck if anything, it wants you to take your time with everything. And each new character is somehow more adorable than the last!

Wait'll you unlock fast travel.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I know Wasteland came first, but how does it compare to Fallout, with regards to plot and tone?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Less with the jokey jokes certainly

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    It's been a bit ( maybe I should replay 2 before I dive into 3) but I remember it being a lot more character interaction driven in it's story than world building driven.

What would you describe the actual content of the game to be? Like, it looks cool, but I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what you're actually doing I guess? Is it mostly just walking around and talking to people or is there a lot of platforming or?

What would you describe the actual content of the game to be? Like, it looks cool, but I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what you're actually doing I guess? Is it mostly just walking around and talking to people or is there a lot of platforming or?

It's kinda like a stardew valley type game in a way, but sidescrolling instead of top down, you have various crafting buildings you gain to slowly build up your ship. Looms, Smithies, Sawmills, etc

But the farming is a lot less intensive for the most part, and all done via mini-games ( tho some are mini-mini-games, heh), And then your spirits are kinda like your townsfolk in Stardew as well, you are working towards improving their happiness with various things , like food they like, building them a nice house, and hugs

• IblisIblis Registered User regular

I played shaman all the way through those games and I really recommend it. just the sheer number of ways you have to talk your way into or out of places makes it really fun for me.

I will say conjuring spirits is not ideal. Especially in Hong Kong, fetishes are consumable and money in Hong Kong is really tight. So depending you may not wanna invest in that. The Shaman’s spells aren’t bad though, I played through combining it with conventional magic in Hong Kong.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular

I only watched the QL, but imagine a very light Harvest Moon. You gather some mats, you turn them into other mats in a mini game...... you give food you cooked to your guests...

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    Also Spiritfarer is on Gamepass atm, if you'd like a cheaper way to try it out if unsure about buying it

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Important note is that Spiritfarer has local coop where the second player is the cat.

Aistan wrote: »
    Important note is that Spiritfarer has local coop where the second player is the cat.

!!!! ok, who wants to play Co-op with me, I will start over , dibs on the cat tho!

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Spiritfarer is very cute

I love the animation for cuttin' trees because your kitty friend is just hanging off the saw

My partner and I usually play video games together by just one of us (usually me) controlling things and the other directing their actions

But man that does sound like maybe it's the local co-op we need

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

What is the early access cycle of that one? I bought it a while ago because, well, I knew my buying it was inevitable, but I haven't started playing it yet. Is there a plan to leave early access publicly available or anything like that?

There might be an actual release date planned. I haven't looked. I think they added the third character and while I've only had a couple hours interaction with it in the last month or so, i haven't noticed any feature not implemented tags, so it feels pretty close to done.

steam_sig.png
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Spiritfarer is very cute

I love the animation for cuttin' trees because your kitty friend is just hanging off the saw

Ya I will constantly just stop to watch Daffodil idle animations (Daffodil is the cat, in case you thought it couldn't get cuter)

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I know Wasteland came first, but how does it compare to Fallout, with regards to plot and tone?

Basically, Fallout but with 80s instead of 50s and Russia instead of China. They also have a western setting so things feel a bit more like New Vegas. Tonally it's pretty similar to Fallout with grim post-apocalypse plus occasional wackiness.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Moop

Brolo on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    McHoger wrote: »

Basically, Fallout but with 80s instead of 50s and Russia instead of China. They also have a western setting so things feel a bit more like New Vegas. Tonally it's pretty similar to Fallout with grim post-apocalypse plus occasional wackiness.

From what I've seen, the grim darkness is grimmy darker and the wackiness is... more incoherent.

So you go from "your commanding officer is mortally wounded, desperately insisting she's okay until she stands up and her intestines spill out and she finally keels over, dead, and you loot her pants" directly to "That cat is wearing a hat! And his name is Major Tomcat! That's a Bowie reference! We're gonna do some more Bowie references here!".

Directly.

They are literally on the same screen.

The cat is there the entire time she is sputtering and dying.

Later, you can fuck a goat.

Garthor on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i really love the look and feel of spiritfarer but that's just not my kinda game unfortunately

luckily september is fucking GAMESAGEDDON for me, between CK3, Tony Hawk, Paradise Killer, and Spelunky 2

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I played some of that Amazon MMO.

So you know how they initially started out with a really horrible colonial setting and then had to hard swerve direction?

Yeah that’s this game all over.

Everything about the game is set up for pvp. One of the first things it teaches you is how to build a spawn point, then it forces you to join a faction and the combat is this slow cumbersome dodge role stamina bar affair.

But all the PVP is endgame, so they throw you into pve stuff that is just absolute dogshit. It’s so clear that they realised that PVP mmos don’t really work outside some niche games so had to add it in late in development.

Every quest is just kill X thing and loot X number of chests. There are 3 enemy types. Animal, skeleton, zombie (and it’s really obvious this is the case because they replaced every enemy due to the colonial thing) and it’s not fun to fight them. Because the combat is tuned for this skill based PVP (supposedly) if you get two enemies on you you’re taking massive damage because turning quick enough to fight both is impossible. Your health depletes so fast that you have to either group of spend ages running back and forth to your camp.

It’s a shame because there are a few things that really work. It looks great if you have a decent rig. The gathering and crafting has a kind of survival game vibe to it. If you want wood you have to go chop down a tree not just whack some glowing lights coming from a log and that really adds to the sensation it’s a real place. But again, these feel like they’re from another game entirely, an Ark clone type deal.

There is no way this is going to be in a decent state come the may 2021 release date.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    I played some of that Amazon MMO.

So you know how they initially started out with a really horrible colonial setting and then had to hard swerve direction?

Yeah that’s this game all over.

Everything about the game is set up for pvp. One of the first things it teaches you is how to build a spawn point, then it forces you to join a faction and the combat is this slow cumbersome dodge role stamina bar affair.

But all the PVP is endgame, so they throw you into pve stuff that is just absolute dogshit. It’s so clear that they realised that PVP mmos don’t really work outside some niche games so had to add it in late in development.

Every quest is just kill X thing and loot X number of chests. There are 3 enemy types. Animal, skeleton, zombie (and it’s really obvious this is the case because they replaced every enemy due to the colonial thing) and it’s not fun to fight them. Because the combat is tuned for this skill based PVP (supposedly) if you get two enemies on you you’re taking massive damage because turning quick enough to fight both is impossible. Your health depletes so fast that you have to either group of spend ages running back and forth to your camp.

It’s a shame because there are a few things that really work. It looks great if you have a decent rig. The gathering and crafting has a kind of survival game vibe to it. If you want wood you have to go chop down a tree not just whack some glowing lights coming from a log and that really adds to the sensation it’s a real place. But again, these feel like they’re from another game entirely, an Ark clone type deal.

There is no way this is going to be in a decent state come the may 2021 release date.

I never figured it would be any good, but this sounds even worse than I thought it'd be.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Crusader Kings 3 launches on the first and I am just bursting

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Fucking the goat gives you a temporary +4 Penetration bonus.

Garthor on
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    i really love the look and feel of spiritfarer but that's just not my kinda game unfortunately

luckily september is fucking GAMESAGEDDON for me, between CK3, Tony Hawk, Paradise Killer, and Spelunky 2

Oh gosh, I'd totally forgotten about Paradise Killer

I'm so here for that game

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Veldrin wrote: »

Oh gosh, I'd totally forgotten about Paradise Killer

I'm so here for that game

From playing the demo that game is weird as fuck and I am incredibly curious what else it contains. The amount of buy-in you are expected to have in its world right off the bat as it rattles off these ridiculous statements about the current state of the setting zips right past the point where i'd be put off and ends up with me just wanting to reach into the screen and consume every drop of information they have to give.

But I will turn off the voice audio because oh my god there are way too few samples for how often they happen.

Aistan on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    Fucking the goat gives you a temporary +4 Penetration bonus.

You must be kidding.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i dont think i've read any review of that amazon mmo that was even remotely enthusiastic

and also that we're calling it "the amazon mmo" is probably also a bad sign

i watched some play sessions and... it seems very bad.

for some reason, and I am not quite sure why, it looks like a video game that was made by a massive international conglomerate with no background in video games that was trying to cynically rip off every popular video game of the last decade into one awful MMORPG smoothie in a desperate attempt to put themselves on the map

This discussion has been closed.