As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    The only article I've seen on this so far is a Forbes one, which is paywalled, but apparently the admin have just started banning O visas.
    I guess the theory is that working their way through the list piecemeal will keep them just under the outrage radar or something.

They're just tackling the "First they came for..." poem from the other side

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    SCOTUS reporter att Bloomberg

"BREAKING: Supreme Court will hear Obamacare arguments on Nov. 10, a week after the election, per online docket."

Oh will it now? This could also be written as "Supreme Court might be toying with the death of the filibuster and the nine-seat supreme court."

Absalon on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Wrong thread? Immigration news is usually more like "ICE Accused of Forcing Muslim Detainees to Eat Pork, Blames COVID"

Granted, the only part of that which would be "news" is the part about COVID.

https://muslimadvocates.org/2019/02/muslim-refugees-sue-florida-detention-center-ice-for-religious-freedom-violations/

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It's still unsettling to see the words "refugees" and "detention center" in the same sentence. Asking America for help desperately is a criminal action somehow.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    NBC is running a story about the child separation policy which provides a good look at the craven soullessness of Trump's cabinet secretaries who let the likes of Stephen Miller berate them.

Context: Sessions had already issued his zero tolerance policy, but Nielsen had been insisting that DHS simply could not handle the logistics of enforcing it.
    Those invited included Sessions, Nielsen, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar and newly installed Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, according to documents obtained by NBC News.

At the meeting, Miller accused anyone opposing zero tolerance of being a lawbreaker and un-American, according to the two officials present.

"If we don't enforce this, it is the end of our country as we know it," said Miller, according to the two officials. It was not unusual for Miller to make claims like this, but this time he was adamant that the policy move forward, regardless of arguments about resources and logistics.

Frustrated, Miller accused Nielsen of stalling and then demanded a show of hands. Who was in favor of moving forward, he asked?

A sea of hands went up. Nielsen kept hers down. It was clear she had been outvoted, according to the officials.

In the days immediately following the meeting, Nielsen had a conversation with then-CBP Commissioner Kevin McAleenan inside her office at the Ronald Reagan Building, and then signed a memo instructing DHS personnel to prosecute all migrants crossing the border illegally, including parents arriving with their children.

I have to wonder if this was leaked to NBC thinking it would improve Nielsen's image, because all I'm seeing is someone acquiescing to a plan she allegedly opposed because four people with no authority over her, or her department, said she should.

That's not a better look at all.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    John Oliver and his crew did and update on the stupid wall. It doesn't really cover shit we didn't know or previous discuss, but it does condense it all into one source at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZRE6uVMDAo

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-administration-insider-president-wanted-to-maim-immigrants?scrolla=5eb6d68b7fedc32c19ef33b4
    Miles Taylor, the former chief of staff at the Department of Homeland Security, joined Rick Wilson and Molly Jong-Fast on this episode of The New Abnormal to share the eye-watering tales of what Trump is really like when the cameras are switched off.

The national security official couldn’t get through a meeting “without him doing 20 tangents, becoming irascible, turning red in the face, demanding a diet Coke, spewing spit,” Taylor explained. “Literally out of goddamn nowhere, he'd be like, ‘You know, who’s just my favorite guy? The MyPillow guy. Do any of you have those pillows?’”

When it came to the border wall, Trump would dream up “sickening” medieval plots “to pierce the flesh” of migrants, rip all the families apart, “maim,” and gas them, Taylor claims. “This was a man with no humanity whatsoever,” Taylor says. “He says, we got to do this, this, this, and this, all of which are probably impossible, illegal unethical,” Taylor recalls, but he was writing them down as the president spoke. “And he looks over me and he goes, ‘you fucking taking notes?’”
    At some point Trump had to have suggested a final solution.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I really hope there's audio of some of this.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »
    I really hope there's audio of some of this.

He said he made notes.

It’s weird that this accusation is on a gossipy blog recounting an interview on an obscure podcast.

If true, this should be front page news.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Remember when Trump wanted a moat with crocodiles in it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    After Trump eventually leaves office we are going to get a lot of memoirs on the theme of "You should be grateful I was there because I talked Trump out of gas chambers live on Fox News every evening. What? No, I didn't go to the press at the time. Are you crazy? I'd have been fired!"

• Options
    So the RNC is having the usual anti-immigrant speakers to talk about how they undocumented immigrants are evil.

One of them is an anti-semite.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rnc-speaker-boosts-qanon-conspiracy-theory-about-jewish-plot-to-enslave-the-world-1
    Hours before she was set to speak at the Republican National Convention on Tuesday night, Mary Ann Mendoza took to Twitter and urged her followers to investigate a supposed Jewish plot to enslave the world.

“Do yourself a favor and read this thread,” Mendoza, who is a member of the Trump campaign’s advisory board, tweeted to her more than 40,000 followers early Tuesday morning.

Mendoza, an “angel mom,” is scheduled to speak Tuesday about her son’s 2014 death at the hands of a drunk driver who was in the country illegally. Her tweet on Tuesday linked to a lengthy thread from a QAnon conspiracy theorist that laid out a fevered, anti-Semitic view of the world. In its telling, the Rothschilds—a famous Jewish banking family from Germany—created a plot to terrorize non-Jewish “goyim,” with purported details of their scheme that included plans to “make the goyim destroy each other” and “rob the goyim of their landed properties.”
    The Trump campaign and Mendoza didn’t respond to requests for comment. Mendoza is also on the advisory board of We Build the Wall, the privately funded border wall effort whose leaders, including former Trump adviser Steve Bannon, were recently indicted for fraud.
    I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that an anti-immigrant activist is extremely racist.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    After Trump eventually leaves office we are going to get a lot of memoirs on the theme of "You should be grateful I was there because I talked Trump out of gas chambers live on Fox News every evening. What? No, I didn't go to the press at the time. Are you crazy? I'd have been fired!"

To be fair, if you were gonna go to the press, this is actually probably the best time to do it.

• Options
    This is the boring kind of immigration news, but:
    https://thehill.com/policy/finance/513600-furlough-cancelled-for-13000-immigration-services-workers
    The financially strained U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) said Tuesday it would cancel the planned furlough of 13,000 workers scheduled for Sunday after sustained bipartisan pressure from Congress.

"Averting this furlough comes at a severe operational cost that will increase backlogs and wait times across the board, with no guarantee we can avoid future furloughs," USCIS Deputy Director for Policy Joseph Edlow said.

"A return to normal operating procedures requires congressional intervention to sustain the agency through fiscal year 2021,” he added.

The Homeland Security agency, which processes applications for visas, asylum and citizenship, had announced potential furloughs in May after the COVID-19 pandemic took hold in the United States.

The agency, which gets a considerable portion of its funding from fees, was projected to have a $571 million deficit as the country went into lockdown, and announced furloughs for late July.

But a combination of cost-cutting measures and an increase in fee revenue have improved its financial situation, leading to a delay and ultimately the cancelation of the furloughs.
    It's remarkable that they found ways to keep the agency alive to go into next year, especially the note about increased fees. I posted in here a couple weeks ago the news about their increased rate and bullshit reasoning of declining applications, and now there's this sinister level of "we got your money fuck you" to it.

I'd have sympathy for the department and its workers if they were collectively doing the right thing but they fucking aren't so I don't know where I actually stand on this. It's a lot to take in and I have to do better about lashing out at people who may not deserve it.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

To be fair, if you were gonna go to the press, this is actually probably the best time to do it.

I’d prefer “now” than after Trump leaves office.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

I’d prefer “now” than after Trump leaves office.

To be fairer, this dude checks all the boxes for “mad that Jacob Wohl beat him to market”

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    So the RNC is having the usual anti-immigrant speakers to talk about how they undocumented immigrants are evil.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rnc-speaker-boosts-qanon-conspiracy-theory-about-jewish-plot-to-enslave-the-world-1
    Hours before she was set to speak at the Republican National Convention on Tuesday night, Mary Ann Mendoza took to Twitter and urged her followers to investigate a supposed Jewish plot to enslave the world.

“Do yourself a favor and read this thread,” Mendoza, who is a member of the Trump campaign’s advisory board, tweeted to her more than 40,000 followers early Tuesday morning.

Mendoza, an “angel mom,” is scheduled to speak Tuesday about her son’s 2014 death at the hands of a drunk driver who was in the country illegally. Her tweet on Tuesday linked to a lengthy thread from a QAnon conspiracy theorist that laid out a fevered, anti-Semitic view of the world. In its telling, the Rothschilds—a famous Jewish banking family from Germany—created a plot to terrorize non-Jewish “goyim,” with purported details of their scheme that included plans to “make the goyim destroy each other” and “rob the goyim of their landed properties.”
    The Trump campaign and Mendoza didn’t respond to requests for comment. Mendoza is also on the advisory board of We Build the Wall, the privately funded border wall effort whose leaders, including former Trump adviser Steve Bannon, were recently indicted for fraud.
    I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that an anti-immigrant activist is extremely racist.

She has been pulled, apparently.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I wonder why. It's good she's not speaking; don't get me wrong! It just seems weird that anyone left in the GOP would draw the line at anti-Semitism, of all things.

fake edit: wait, is the Israel lobby still on board? That would explain it.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The thread also said Protocols of the Elders of Zion wasn't a hoax, that's the hard R of anti-semitism. They probably wouldn't have pulled her if it was only Rothschild stuff.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Remember how non-citizens who joined the US military to be fasttracked to be citizens were then being refused?

DoD was indeed unlawfully slowing their citizenship process.
    According to court documents, over the last three years, 1,695 certifications of honorable service have been requested and issued to non-citizen service members. But only 10 have been requested and issued in the last eight months. Generally, DoD has been able to issue the certification within two days after the request.

Now we need to find all the former soldiers who were deported after their service was done because they weren't citizens so the Trump regime tossed them out.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

I wonder why. It's good she's not speaking; don't get me wrong! It just seems weird that anyone left in the GOP would draw the line at anti-Semitism, of all things.

Among all the other reasons deplorable people are well represented in GOP circles is the fact they are extremely lax about vetting. They don't do their due diligence checking on the background of almost anyone from activists like Mendoza to cabinet member candidates like this lady. This is a long standing problem for the GOP that predates Trump. Remember that Stephen Colbert (then of the Colbert Report) was a featured speaker at the White House Correspondents Dinner in 2006 because conservatives didn't realize his persona was satire.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

Among all the other reasons deplorable people are well represented in GOP circles is the fact they are extremely lax about vetting. They don't do their due diligence checking on the background of almost anyone from activists like Mendoza to cabinet member candidates like this lady. This is a long standing problem for the GOP that predates Trump. Remember that Stephen Colbert (then of the Colbert Report) was a featured speaker at the White House Correspondents Dinner in 2006 because conservatives didn't realize his persona was satire.

I mean if they were good at looking into background facts on any issue a whole lot of problems would solve themselves.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

The Colbert thing was even worse; they knew he was satire, but they thought he was pro-right satire.

• Options
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/26/us/politics/trump-campaign-immigration.html
    WASHINGTON — Fifteen days before the 2018 midterm elections, as President Trump sought to motivate Republicans with dark warnings about caravans heading to the U.S. border, he gathered his homeland security secretary and White House staff to deliver a message: “extreme action” was needed to stop the migrants.

That afternoon, at a separate meeting with top leaders of the Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection officials suggested deploying a microwave weapon — a “heat ray” designed by the military to make people’s skin feel like it is burning when they get within range of its invisible beams.

Developed by the military as a crowd dispersal tool two decades ago, the Active Denial System had been largely abandoned amid doubts over its effectiveness and morality. Two former officials who attended the afternoon meeting at the Department of Homeland Security on Oct. 22, 2018, said the suggestion that the device be installed at the border shocked attendees, even if it would have satisfied the president.

Kirstjen Nielsen, then the secretary of homeland security, told an aide after the meeting that she would not authorize the use of such a device, and it should never be brought up again in her presence, the officials said.

Alexei Woltornist, a spokesman for the department, said Wednesday that “it was never considered.”
    They are shitty movie villains.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    WASHINGTON — Fifteen days before the 2018 midterm elections, as President Trump sought to motivate Republicans with dark warnings about caravans heading to the U.S. border, he gathered his homeland security secretary and White House staff to deliver a message: “extreme action” was needed to stop the migrants.

That afternoon, at a separate meeting with top leaders of the Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection officials suggested deploying a microwave weapon — a “heat ray” designed by the military to make people’s skin feel like it is burning when they get within range of its invisible beams.

Developed by the military as a crowd dispersal tool two decades ago, the Active Denial System had been largely abandoned amid doubts over its effectiveness and morality. Two former officials who attended the afternoon meeting at the Department of Homeland Security on Oct. 22, 2018, said the suggestion that the device be installed at the border shocked attendees, even if it would have satisfied the president.

Kirstjen Nielsen, then the secretary of homeland security, told an aide after the meeting that she would not authorize the use of such a device, and it should never be brought up again in her presence, the officials said.

Alexei Woltornist, a spokesman for the department, said Wednesday that “it was never considered.”

So, how long before it's deployed?

In Portland or other contentious cities?

I mean, tear gas is banned in war, but apparently fine to use on civilians, so why not this thing. "It's just a little sunburn!" as the defense of it's use as "It's just a food product" was used to defend the usage of pepper spray.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

I mean, tear gas is banned in war, but apparently fine to use on civilians, so why not this thing. "It's just a little sunburn!" as the defense of it's use as "It's just a food product" was used to defend the usage of pepper spray.

Didn't someone see what looked like an LRAD at one of the protests?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »

Didn't someone see what looked like an LRAD at one of the protests?

DJ LRAD has been a common occurrence in PDX and other spots.

• Options
    That's a straight up declaration of war by way of attacking citizens of other nations, what the actual fuck.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Still not sure this isn't better suited for the cabinet thread:

The degree to which DHS officials seem to be particularly unhappy with Trump is making me reflect on the fact I tend to forget they're more than CBP and ICE. (Maybe because all those other bits don't belong there!)

The above is the second Nielsen v Trump story this week, and this the second former senior DHS official who served under her cutting an (excellent) RVAT ad in the last ten days:

Sarah Neumann, former DHS Assistant Secretary for Threat Prevention, on Trump's bolstering of white nationalist violence and actively restraining our pandemic response.

There is increasingly little doubt in my mind that Nielsen is the would-be neocon folk-hero behind 'Anonymous'

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Hey folks

You know how the trump administration basically removed every avenue of immigration, even for students?

Well, guess what, its having the completely intended racist effect. The Physics & Astronomy department at my school had 16 new graduate students lined up to start this year. Of the 16, 8 are able to attend this year. Of the 8, 5 are Americans, 1 from Egypt, 1 from Russia (ha!), and 1 from Australia (I think). Of the 8 that couldn't attend because of visa issues and deferred, guess where they are from? Well, if you guessed countries that aren't primarily white, you win! We lost 5 from Nepal and 2 from India, they had to defer to the spring when hopefully these restrictions should be lifted. They have the option of deferring to next fall in case everything isnt worked out. As you can imagine, this could potentially overwhelm the department unless they are extremely selective for new students for next year's incoming class. The flip side is if the worst happens, its possible we may not have enough students! So essentially, our enrollment for the fall semester got cut half because a bunch of white people decided they needed to do even more racism in this hell year, and it has screwed up our entire enrollment for the next year. So, fuck you, Donald Trump.

This really sucks even more because my school has a large Nepalese community - larger than the Indian one, I believe. Many of my fellow graduate students in the department are Nepalese. All of them are great people to work with.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Yeah. I work with a bunch of really smart immigrants on various work and merit visas and at this point they're trapped in the US. If they leave--even just to visit family or go on a vacation--chances are they won't be let back in. And there's a good chance that when those visas expire, they won't be renewed, which means they're on borrowed time. In some cases they've been here for 10 years between student and work visas and they no longer feel like they fit in back home! They were planning on staying here! We lose them and we probably lose half the R&D side of the org that is laying the groundwork for future products a generation out.

Medium and long term this is going to axe America's competitive advantage in tech and education. Short term will fuck over immigrants, prospective immigrants, and the institutions and companies relying on them.

The situation is fucked, and the earliest it could get better is next year.

And there's a good chance it gets worse, not better.

Orca on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Yeah. I work with a bunch of really smart immigrants on various work and merit visas and at this point they're trapped in the US. If they leave--even just to visit family or go on a vacation--chances are they won't be let back in. And there's a good chance that when those visas expire, they won't be renewed, which means they're on borrowed time. In some cases they've been here for 10 years between student and work visas and they no longer feel like they fit in back home! They were planning on staying here! We lose them and we probably lose half the R&D side of the org that is laying the groundwork for future products a generation out.

Medium and long term this is going to axe America's competitive advantage in tech and education. Short term will fuck over immigrants, prospective immigrants, and the institutions and companies relying on them.

A lot of this should get cleared up if Biden wins, just because none of the new issues are legislative afaik because Congress can't pass immigration legislation. So you'd just be back to the (very large) underlying issues that were around before Trump took office.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Recently I finally saw Hamilton on Disney+, and it's as spectacular as many have said it was.

Related to the topic of this thread, there's a 'mixtape' of songs inspired by the production, one of which resonated pretty strongly, both in lyrics and the video made for it;

https://youtu.be/6_35a7sn6ds

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

Yeah. I talk to people who lean right wing about this issue - how removing these visas is gutting tech and research, the answer I get is always “well now maybe those positions will be occupied by Americans that need jobs”.

Like there’s totally a massive population of genius level white dudes with a B.S. in Physics slinging burgers at McDonalds waiting for an open slot at a PHD program.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options

Yeah. I talk to people who lean right wing about this issue - how removing these visas is gutting tech and research, the answer I get is always “well now maybe those positions will be occupied by Americans that need jobs”.

Like there’s totally a massive population of genius level white dudes with a B.S. in Physics slinging burgers at McDonalds waiting for an open slot at a PHD program.

Sure, I, a reasonably talented but unexceptional American citizen programmer would LOVE to take the high-paid coding jobs that generally go to the absolute best in the world. Gimme! *

* Results may be less than optimal.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Sure, I, a reasonably talented but unexceptional American citizen programmer would LOVE to take the high-paid coding jobs that generally go to the absolute best in the world. Gimme! *

The tech industry has abused H-1B visas to the disadvantage of American workers. But, the answer there isn't "kill the tap", it's to reform the visa so that it's no longer abusable. H-2 visas are also another that get routinely abused for a source of cheap, compliant labor - and guess who has a history of that?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    LowHitPointsLowHitPoints Sword of the Afternoon MichiganRegistered User regular

Which almost passes the sniff test until you realize the same people "paving the way" for Americans have been systematically demolishing the public education system for decades.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

The tech industry has abused H-1B visas to the disadvantage of American workers. But, the answer there isn't "kill the tap", it's to reform the visa so that it's no longer abusable. H-2 visas are also another that get routinely abused for a source of cheap, compliant labor - and guess who has a history of that?

To an extent there have been sectors of the tech industry where H1-B has been abused, but there are also lots of places in the industry and academia that if you don’t have immigrants/non- americans you just don’t have enough remotely qualified asses to put in seats to get the positions filled.

There are a number of reasons for that, and some of them may be improvable in the long run, and some may not, but ultimately you don’t tear down a bridge today because people may have flying cars tomorrow.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

I'm in Norway, not the US. When last I had an available PhD position, I got literally no Norwegian applicants (I got 3 people who had their education in Norway, but no one who'd been here for more than 3 years). I ended up hiring a Turkish woman.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

I'm in Norway, not the US. When last I had an available PhD position, I got literally no Norwegian applicants (I got 3 people who had their education in Norway, but no one who'd been here for more than 3 years). I ended up hiring a Turkish woman.

I've mentioned this in economy threads before, but a lot of this is knock-on effects having to do with the cost of education in the US, coupled with there being a larger number of college-educated people so companies post applications with higher-than-frankly-needed requirements. US students go to college, get massively in debt from their undergraduate studies. They enter the workforce to pay their massive debt. Colleges, in turn, rely upon postgraduate students for a lot of their work, so they extend offers to anyone who can afford it, who frequently end up being international students who AREN'T saddled with massive undergraduate debt. Then companies post job listings for roles with the asking of a masters or higher, and the field consists primarily of immigrants.

This discussion has been closed.