As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pardon my French [Canadian Politics Thread]

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Are we surprised? CBC seems to look at Fox News for its targets on quality reporting.

sig.gif
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Richy wrote: »
    Are we surprised? CBC seems to look at Fox News for its targets on quality reporting.

Personally, no, not surprised.

But I did find this comment elsewhere that highlighted where Scheer's speech finds some people:
    Andrew Scheer finished off his leadership in a speech where he directly compared the LPC's policies with the Soviet Union and other communist countries. He went on about this for the majority of his speech, declaring that Conservatives are the only party that cares about freedom and the free market. He attacked the modern education system as being biased toward marxism, and then topped it all off by telling Canadians to disavow all mainstream media and instead get their news from True North and Post Milennial, both of which are far right websites that are currently peddling the covid pandemic as a conspiracy.

Does that sound like the Scheer you've been hearing the last few years? Probably not, because before this, he was very mouth-shut about his actual policy positions. Despite that, the signs were there. His inability to comment on abortion or LGBT rights, his voting record. People who understood the current political climate in the world today knew what his silence on those issues meant. Moderate conservatives wouldn't hear it. They would push back "when did Scheer ever say anything anti-LGBT?" "When did he say anything anti-abortion?"

Conservatives are practically experts at keeping their heinous views under wraps by this point. If Scheer is going to be remembered for anything, it should be for this speech. The best example to point to of what "moderate" conservatives really think

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Oh hey look we won another WTO ruling on softwood lumber. It must be a day that ends in Y.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Am I correct in assuming that the Saskatchewan Party is a bad party?

For my work, we manage the telephone number inventory for Canada (we assign blocks the middle 3 digits of your phone number to a phone company and that gives them 10,000 phone numbers to assign to their customers). We are getting messages from angry Saskatchewan residents because they are getting calls from Saskatchewan Party people and, when asked where they got the individual's cell number, the phone person is saying they got it from my organization "in compliance with the regulations set out by the CRTC." which is a straight up lie because we do not have that information.

My guess is they are just robocalling everybody in Saskatchewan and saying they got the number from us which is great when we get to field the angry responses.

...they're the governing party of Saskatchewan and have been since 2007. (In fairness, I didn't know this either. How little does most of Canada know about Saskatchewan politics.)

Anyway, they're described as being centre-right, which in combination with the above makes me think their current attitude is "we're solidly in power and thus the rules do not apply to us."

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Personally, no, not surprised.

But I did find this comment elsewhere that highlighted where Scheer's speech finds some people:
    Andrew Scheer finished off his leadership in a speech where he directly compared the LPC's policies with the Soviet Union and other communist countries. He went on about this for the majority of his speech, declaring that Conservatives are the only party that cares about freedom and the free market. He attacked the modern education system as being biased toward marxism, and then topped it all off by telling Canadians to disavow all mainstream media and instead get their news from True North and Post Milennial, both of which are far right websites that are currently peddling the covid pandemic as a conspiracy.

Does that sound like the Scheer you've been hearing the last few years? Probably not, because before this, he was very mouth-shut about his actual policy positions. Despite that, the signs were there. His inability to comment on abortion or LGBT rights, his voting record. People who understood the current political climate in the world today knew what his silence on those issues meant. Moderate conservatives wouldn't hear it. They would push back "when did Scheer ever say anything anti-LGBT?" "When did he say anything anti-abortion?"

Conservatives are practically experts at keeping their heinous views under wraps by this point. If Scheer is going to be remembered for anything, it should be for this speech. The best example to point to of what "moderate" conservatives really think

He learned the lessons of the Harper years well. As long as you don't say it out loud, you can be in a position to win a majority and then do whatever you want.

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Am I correct in assuming that the Saskatchewan Party is a bad party?

For my work, we manage the telephone number inventory for Canada (we assign blocks the middle 3 digits of your phone number to a phone company and that gives them 10,000 phone numbers to assign to their customers). We are getting messages from angry Saskatchewan residents because they are getting calls from Saskatchewan Party people and, when asked where they got the individual's cell number, the phone person is saying they got it from my organization "in compliance with the regulations set out by the CRTC." which is a straight up lie because we do not have that information.

My guess is they are just robocalling everybody in Saskatchewan and saying they got the number from us which is great when we get to field the angry responses.

...they're the governing party of Saskatchewan and have been since 2007. (In fairness, I didn't know this either. How little does most of Canada know about Saskatchewan politics.)

Anyway, they're described as being centre-right, which in combination with the above makes me think their current attitude is "we're solidly in power and thus the rules do not apply to us."

I assumed by the "Saskatchewan Strong" header on their website that they are not as "Centre" as they say they are.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The Saskatchewan Party is the right wing party of Saskatchewan

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    My favourite carricaturist this morning:

j8v8jbnpo4da.jpg
    Tile 1: "Hello, I'm Erin O'Toole..."
    Tile 2: "Leader of the Conservative Party!"
    Tile 3: "Hello! I'm Erin O'Toole!"
    Tile 4: "How odd, this guy thinks he's the leader of the Conservatives!"

sig.gif
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    SIU clears the cops in the case of that woman who fell to her death during a call.

https://youtu.be/jUC6fpoXEbU

SIU actually put up a video going over how they came to that decision, it's a pretty interesting watch.

• BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Related to police oversight:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-police-taser-death-cadets-notes-decision-1.5701016

Basically, the Winnipeg police tased a person who became unresponsive and died. Manitoba has an independent investigative unit (IIU) that handles the investigation of potential police related misconduct. While investigating the incident, IIU discovered that police cadets were the first to arrive on the scene and had taken notes. Naturally, they asked for the notes and the police refused, arguing that since the cadets were not actually police officers the IIU did not have any authority over them (and further argued that the notes might be self-incriminating). This led to a court battle in which a ruling came down that while the cadets themselves are indeed outside of the IIU's jurisdiction (which the judge noted was a significant oversight in the law), their notes are in fact in the possession of the police (the reason they take them is to hand them over to their supervisors, aka the actual police, after their shifts) and that the police have no discretionary power over disclosure to the IIU.

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/08/27/spotify-canada-google-nest-mini-promo-2020/

For any spotify users. We rarely get these sort of deals up here.

PSN: Canadian_llama
    edited August 2020
    Speaking of police: Announcing a new police training program adapted to the needs of First Nations people! One of the 12 CEGEPs in Québec offering the police training program will begin offering this new certification in 2021. It is designed to give non-FN students the tools needed to intervene within FN communities, and FN students a training more adapted to their environment. Québec FN leaders are hailing this as a historic moment.

Given everything else going on, it's nice having some good news involving the police for a change.
    The Montreal City PD spoke out against budget cuts to their department with "nice city you got there, it'd be a shame if something happened to it", new guidelines to make police random stops less racialized were passed by the province suddenly and discretely with no public consultation and no input from racial communities, and the province announced they would end the practice of "inconveniencing" the public by automatically annexing police reports to coroner reports when we inquire about crimes and police interventions and replace it with a "convenient" system for individuals to request police reports from the police directly and personally.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    Erin O'Toole's first week as Tory leader is sure ending on a high point: Conservative MP Kerry-Lynne Findlay expressed 'alarm' over 2009 video of then journalist Chrystia Freeland interviewing George Soros.

I'd really like the CPC to be a reasonable alternative to the Liberals, but that's just not going to happen until it weeds out the crazies, the racists, and the dicks.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Erin O'Toole's first week as Tory leader is sure ending on a high point: Conservative MP Kerry-Lynne Findlay expressed 'alarm' over 2009 video of then journalist Chrystia Freeland interviewing George Soros.

I'd really like the CPC to be a reasonable alternative to the Liberals, but that's just not going to happen until it weeds out the crazies, the racists, and the dicks.

Which is never going to happen until there's less of those people and/or it consistently costs them political power.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

Uh, conservatives are by definition dicks, so you're gonna have to wait a while.

I mean, a political movement centered around conserving aristocratic privilege is gonna be dickish (and undemocratic, to boot), by the very essence of the movement!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Why would you set the bar so low as having the cons be the desirable opposition

icGJy2C.png
  • CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    Why would you set the bar so low as having the cons be the desirable opposition

I want as many of the national parties as possible to be a reasonable choice. Unless there's a far more significant schism than the PPC and Wexit Party have managed, the CPC is going to be around for a long time. That being the case, it'd be nice if the Tories would stop emulating the Republicans so damn much.

shryke wrote: »

Which is never going to happen until there's less of those people and/or it consistently costs them political power.

It's not going to happen at all. These people are all that's left in the CPC and ther right in general at this point. They are locked in and brainwashed by their closed information network, which is constantly radicalizing them further. "Less of those people" is not a solution. We see that in the USA. They don't try to expand their voter base, they try to restrict (legally or not) everyone else's. "Costs them political power" is also not a solution, they thrive from the victim complex and radicalize further.

So long as the left refuses to consider right-wing radicalization as a real problem and fight it head-on and instead keep sweeping it under the "freedom of speech" rug, there will be no solution.

sig.gif
    edited August 2020
    https://mobile.twitter.com/TheBreakdownAB/status/1300250760400175104

11th hour change the day before classes go back to eliminate the 2m social distancing requirement.

This fucking province....

Edit: And also mask requirements. So to be clear I need a mask in a giant ass costco but not a tightly packed classroom.

Disco11 on
    Meanwhile, the first day of school in Québec saw two new separate cases of Covid, and some 80 students are put on 14-day quarantine as a result.

sig.gif
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Disco11 wrote: »

11th hour change the day before classes go back to eliminate the 2m social distancing requirement.

Edit: And also mask requirements. So to be clear I need a mask in a giant ass costco but not a tightly packed classroom.

Maybe Dr. Hinshaw's playing some 4D chess where she'll get so many kids infected that they'll have to close schools back down. I mean there's no way there could be any political influence behind this...

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    Decius wrote: »

Maybe Dr. Hinshaw's playing some 4D chess where she'll get so many kids infected that they'll have to close schools back down. I mean there's no way there could be any political influence behind this...

It's shitty. I was a big fan of hers but I guess the political machine gets us all eventually.

Also, AB ordered all our school masks from Old Navy and I guess we got all the ones that didn't sell?

Hope you like leopard print!

7g8brp99apad.png

Also, AB ordered all our school masks from Old Navy and I guess we got all the ones that didn't sell?

O_o There's so much wrong with the reasoning that leads to this sentence that I can't tell if it's real or satire.

sig.gif
    edited September 2020

O_o There's so much wrong with the reasoning that leads to this sentence that I can't tell if it's real or satire.

We sourced 90% of our back to school maks from Old navy for apparently "a great deal" and I can only assume they sent us all the lost leaders.

the other 10% were sourced from a top UCP donor that happens to be great friends with the education minister....

Disco11 on

We sourced 90% of our back to school maks from Old navy for apparently "a great deal" and I can only assume they sent us all the lost leaders.

the other 10% were sourced from a top UCP donor that happens to be great friends with the education minister....

I guess for the UCP "Buy Canadian" only applies when it's oil from Alberta.

sig.gif

I guess for the UCP "Buy Canadian" only applies when it's oil from Alberta.

Essentially, yeah.

I have never seen government that hates the public sector the way the UCP does.

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Found this interview interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWRkSIo1e5c

steam_sig.png
    Now this is interesting... The Bloc has openly given up on dealing with Trudeau, and is officially requesting - and getting - meetings with Freeland instead. They say she has a better understanding of ongoing political issues, and being the Finance Minister at the eve of a massive economic recovery effort she is the more important person to talk with.

With the Throne Speech coming up, this is important. The CPC has already announced it will be voting against it no matter what, because of course they did. The NDP is on the fence - they are financially the worst-prepared party for a snap election, but they run on optimism and dreams and voted against the previous Throne Speech, so who knows what they'll do. This leaves the fate of the Government in the hands of the Bloc, and the Bloc's animosity is with Trudeau personally, not with the Liberal Government. If they develop a good working relationship with Freeland and make a deal with her, they will vote for the Speech.

A charismatic Liberal PM smeared by a minor scandal blown out of proportion losing his grasp on power to a finance minister is also a familiar story...

sig.gif
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Honestly I could see the Liberals wanting an election now so that they can ride on a wave of pandemic response support and renew their terms, as opposed to waiting until later when the bill comes due for all the programs and the middle class wasps start screaming about their taxes going up to pay for it

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    If the CPC force an election, I hope the liberals win a majority and the CPC responds by firing O'Toole. Because that would be delicious.

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Now this is interesting... The Bloc has openly given up on dealing with Trudeau, and is officially requesting - and getting - meetings with Freeland instead. They say she has a better understanding of ongoing political issues, and being the Finance Minister at the eve of a massive economic recovery effort she is the more important person to talk with.

With the Throne Speech coming up, this is important. The CPC has already announced it will be voting against it no matter what, because of course they did. The NDP is on the fence - they are financially the worst-prepared party for a snap election, but they run on optimism and dreams and voted against the previous Throne Speech, so who knows what they'll do. This leaves the fate of the Government in the hands of the Bloc, and the Bloc's animosity is with Trudeau personally, not with the Liberal Government. If they develop a good working relationship with Freeland and make a deal with her, they will vote for the Speech.

A charismatic Liberal PM smeared by a minor scandal blown out of proportion losing his grasp on power to a finance minister is also a familiar story...

It would be advantageous for the Bloc if Trudeau went away cause then the LPC wouldn't do as well in QC.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Good, let's have an election. The whispers on this throne speech are likely true, and we deserve a vote on what could likely be an immense overhaul of our society.

In other news, the CPC has their shadow cabinet fully in place. Glad they put Polievre on Pandemic Finance. He's smart and acrimonious, which is exactly what you need when the government is spending untold billions. It's good they're spending it, but they need to be watched incredibly carefully.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Found this interview interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWRkSIo1e5c

I was nodding along for the most part and was even mildly inspired at the top of the interview, but he lost me at his 100% wealth tax proposal and total freeze on new oil exploration. It's not that I necessarily disagree with him, it's that those two proposals are completely non-realistic and will get a violent reaction from even moderate leftists. These kinds of proposals would require not just an upheaval of Canadian political will, but global political will, and risk doing some real damage to Canadian economic stability. If he has a plan on how to keep Canada going as a global political force without the support of mega-capitalists, I would love to see it, but I can't believe that that's a possibility within the current economic climate, whether I like it or not (and I don't).

I do agree somewhat about needing to disentangle ourselves from dependence on the US, both economically and politically, but that would first require us to secure cast-iron alliances with other superpowers that more closely align with our political interests before we commit to doing that, or we would find ourselves in an extremely vulnerable position. He's not wrong, but woah would that be tricky to realistically pull off.

I was wondering, is there any precedent for a federal government like ours to negotiate trade deals with a neighboring state, as opposed to federal, government? Is that a thing that can happen? Like, could we potentially negotiate a trade deal directly with California, or do we HAVE to go through the White House? Forgive my newbness, I am not an expert on international trade law.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    A election to decide between what version of austerity we want, or well the only difference is the middle class might have to pay more under the libs, maybe the poor are gonna lose it all and the cons will probs win cause the liberals can't just do their jobs and have to also grift the country lmao

icGJy2C.png
    finnith wrote: »
    It would be advantageous for the Bloc if Trudeau went away cause then the LPC wouldn't do as well in QC.

I don't know about that. I haven't seen any detailed leader vs. party breakdowns, but what I've seen so far seems to show Trudeau was scorched by the WE scandal more than the LPC. Trudeau's strengths also seem to be fading. He's got charisma, sure, but that fades as people get used to him. He's got a famous last name, sure, but that also fades as comparisons between him and his father increasingly leave him looking bad. He doesn't project an image of competence as he stumbles from gaffe to gaffe, and doesn't have the PR and public speaking skills to get back on top. The nightmare of the Harper Dark Age has already faded from public memory thanks to a very deliberate media blackout on the topic. The CPC and Conservative MSM have been relentlessly attacking Trudeau as a person rather than the LPC, and since he either won't or can't defend himself it's been slowly but relentlessly chipping away at his popularity. On the other hand, Freeland does project competence, she's handled some of the most difficult items our country faced since 2005 brilliantly, and she would get a new-leader poll boost with a multiplier for being the first serious woman candidate to PM in a generation, while the CPC and MSM anti-Trudeau smear campaign would have to start off from scratch (granted, some of it will transfer with a simple "we've always been at war with oceania eastasia" trick, but still).

sig.gif
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Good, let's have an election. The whispers on this throne speech are likely true, and we deserve a vote on what could likely be an immense overhaul of our society.

In other news, the CPC has their shadow cabinet fully in place. Glad they put Polievre on Pandemic Finance. He's smart and acrimonious, which is exactly what you need when the government is spending untold billions. It's good they're spending it, but they need to be watched incredibly carefully.

Isn't Polievre a complete goose though? Like I don't know a lot of Con names by choice, but I seem to recall him coming up due to some particularly egregious conduct.

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    finnith wrote: »

I don't know about that. I haven't seen any detailed leader vs. party breakdowns, but what I've seen so far seems to show Trudeau was scorched by the WE scandal more than the LPC. Trudeau's strengths also seem to be fading. He's got charisma, sure, but that fades as people get used to him. He's got a famous last name, sure, but that also fades as comparisons between him and his father increasingly leave him looking bad. He doesn't project an image of competence as he stumbles from gaffe to gaffe, and doesn't have the PR and public speaking skills to get back on top. The nightmare of the Harper Dark Age has already faded from public memory thanks to a very deliberate media blackout on the topic. The CPC and Conservative MSM have been relentlessly attacking Trudeau as a person rather than the LPC, and since he either won't or can't defend himself it's been slowly but relentlessly chipping away at his popularity. On the other hand, Freeland does project competence, she's handled some of the most difficult items our country faced since 2005 brilliantly, and she would get a new-leader poll boost with a multiplier for being the first serious woman candidate to PM in a generation, while the CPC and MSM anti-Trudeau smear campaign would have to start off from scratch (granted, some of it will transfer with a simple "we've always been at war with oceania eastasia" trick, but still).

http://angusreid.org/federal-politics-september-2020/

https://www.ekospolitics.com/index.php/2020/07/we-charity-scandal-had-clear-impact-but-may-be-dissipating/

My problem with your portrayal is that it's based a lot on "the MSM" and another ethical scandal in a long line of Liberal ethical scandals. I think based on the links that the government's response to COVID will overshadow the WE scandal now that Morneau's resigned as that's much more likely to affect the typical voter, though it's hard to be sure with Parliament prorogued. I also think that people still love famous names like Trudeau, Bush (see the disgusting fucking rehabilitation of the most recent one in the States), Gandhi (Indira in India), and Kennedy (again in the States).

I also don't think that the "Harper Dark Age" isn't being aligned as I've read multiple articles/heard multiple takes now that it's his failure and style that's resulted in the CPC having such a shitshow for leadership right now. Whether or not his achievements are going to be maligned by newspapers now is another debate; it's been close to five years since Trudeau took over.

I love Freeland and I hope she's our next PM, but I don't think Trudeau should be counted out just yet.

This is the most I've seen Poilevre complimented anywhere. He came off as a yapping lizard when I watched the WE Charity hearings.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    Pollivere is the usual politician shitheel. He'll dog the opposing party for things he turns a blind eye to in his own party.

• Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    I would love it if Chrystia Freeland was the next PM.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I don't like any of the conservatives but Poilevre particularly gets under my skin. Has for years

This discussion has been closed.