As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Lives Matter Thread 5

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    Special K wrote: »
    i guess i gotta ask how a democrat in charge will fix things.

They won't, there's too much to fix and it runs too deep. They can at least try to arrest the current slide and start to rein in the bullshit. E.g., they're making noises about police reform etc.

Will it all be shiny and fixed in four years? Fuck no, but the alternative is another four years of this Republican horseshit. If anything, it'll be worse - they'll be further emboldened.

One thing I do believe: not voting won't fix these problems, and could well make them worse if the Republicans stay in power.
    what are steps that biden can take that it's realistic to expect that he might take that will slow down the collapse of Social Order? keeping in mind that if we're unlucky climate instability will be completely undeniable by the end of his hypothetical first term, that's an even worse existential threat that the democrats also aren't taking seriously

1. Get the FBI focussed on far-right groups and their recruiting
    2. Mandate police body cameras with penalties for inactivity (e.g., if it's not on film, it's inadmissible)
    3. Work with the legislature to end qualified immunity for police
    4. Stop politicising e.g. the CDC and let them do their work

There's some concrete examples. Would a putative Dem executive / legislature actually do all this? I don't know, but I do know the Republicans definitely won't. Not voting certainly won't get us any closer to where we need to be. There isn't anything I can think of that solves the problems the USA faces in a single presidential term, so the best that can be done it to make a start down a long road.

I agree with you that climate change is an existential threat, but I'm pretty sure the Republicans won't do anything, even with the evidence punching them in the face. They might even make it worse. After all, they've basically ignored/downplayed a pandemic that's killed 180,000+ in a few months.
    there's probably nothing i can say that will convince you of how unstable things are, but consider that in the 60s and 70s the civil rights movement had high-profile leaders that the state could murder to take steam out of the movement.

Hmmm, the deaths of high-profile leaders don't always take the steam out of things (e.g. MLK's assassination, Bobby Sands et al, etc), but ...
    there's no such structural weakness now, the folks out there doing the thing have learned from that history as well as a bunch of leaders from the original ferguson BLM who got mysteriously dead (some of them while obama was still president, for what that's worth)

This actually reassures me! I think this is the start of genuine change, and the wider movement against police violence for example is now self-sustaining and "popular" in a way that I haven't seen before now. I don't think that requires dangerous social instability to maintain.

I've never viewed Obama in quite as positive a light as most of the Democrats, FWIW. There were definitely problems there.
    it sticks in my craw being asked to choose between the lesser of two sex criminals

I can imagine, and I'm not going to throw shit in your direction for it. You have my sympathies being faced with that.

I do hope you can throw your lot in with the Dems again, even though I know you'll be suppressing an overwhelming urge to vomit as you do so.

i'm telling you right now i am not choosing between the lesser of two sex criminals. i also won't judge anyone for doing what they feel they have to, but i will not have anything more to do with a party that was all about metoo when it was expedient for them, and then threw a woman with a credible accusation to the wolves when it was expedient for them to do that. this is kind of the elephant in the room, everything else is secondary. biden could be a lifelong ardent communist who says everything i want to hear and i still wouldn't vote for him. it definitely helps that instead he's the guy who made it so you can't discharge student debt through bankruptcy though!

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    I'm gonna be honest anytime somebody starts cutting posts up into individual quoted sentences I check the fuck out

Fair enough. Thanks to Typhoid Manny for humouring me.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    i'm telling you right now i am not choosing between the lesser of two sex criminals. i also won't judge anyone for doing what they feel they have to, but i will not have anything more to do with a party that was all about metoo when it was expedient for them, and then threw a woman with a credible accusation to the wolves when it was expedient for them to do that. this is kind of the elephant in the room, everything else is secondary. biden could be a lifelong ardent communist who says everything i want to hear and i still wouldn't vote for him. it definitely helps that instead he's the guy who made it so you can't discharge student debt through bankruptcy though!

seriously

"why aren't you voting for biden?" "because he's a probable rapist" should be the fuckin end of the argument

you can make your own justifications for voting for him if you want, but you're not moving my stance on this issue

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

Really scratching my head earlier today when I saw that Louis Riel was trending.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone should feel compelled to vote for Biden if they don't want to, but I hope people look at their state representatives and city/town positions to see if there is anyone you like. Getting those positions is how people get on the path to higher office, and getting people you like on the path to higher office is how we get better choices than Biden in the future.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options

seriously

"why aren't you voting for biden?" "because he's a probable rapist" should be the fuckin end of the argument

you can make your own justifications for voting for him if you want, but you're not moving my stance on this issue

what really chafes is that they've done such a good job of burying that shit that it took me like two hours of this discussion to remember "oh right, none of this actually fuckin' matters because of The Other Thing"

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

seriously

what really chafes is that they've done such a good job of burying that shit that it took me like two hours of this discussion to remember "oh right, none of this actually fuckin' matters because of The Other Thing"

gotta be honest, i forgot about it until you mentioned it and i felt real bad

• Options
    Trumpists are doing something weird and performative again today

whoever's on the mic sounds like glenn from superstore

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

For reference for the non-Canadians in the thread

John A was our first prime minister, essentially a George Washington equivalent in that respect, but he also was a massive racist, and is especially hated for being the guy to start residential schools, which were tools of cultural genocide against indigenous people. He also led many attacks against indigenous and Métis people, especially in the process of building a cross-country railroad with the use of immigrant labour (primarily Chinese). As soon as the rail was done, he decided to institute an insanely unaffordable head tax on further immigrants from China that they had to pay on entry, to prevent the families of rail labourers from reuniting with them in Canada and risking Aryan purity

He really fucking sucked. They did teach a surprising amount of that in my early 2000s high school history class, but didn't really put enough polish on how badly he sucked for it to stick with a lot of students, I think. Most people probably just recognize the name and the statue.

(He did a lot more awful stuff than this, but that's probably a decent primer without going into a full Wiki page of it)

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

still focusing on the important shit

please, please, SOMEBODY think of the property

• Options

seriously

gotta be honest, i forgot about it until you mentioned it and i felt real bad

i don't think you should feel bad. one of the main things we need to always remember is none of us is immune to propaganda

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Funnily enough Americans cared very little about the well being of their property prior to 1865.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Cello wrote: »

John A was our first prime minister, essentially a George Washington equivalent in that respect, but he also was a massive racist, and is especially hated for being the guy to start residential schools, which were tools of cultural genocide against indigenous people. He also led many attacks against indigenous and Métis people, especially in the process of building a cross-country railroad with the use of immigrant labour (primarily Chinese). As soon as the rail was done, he decided to institute an insanely unaffordable head tax on further immigrants from China that they had to pay on entry, to prevent the families of rail labourers from reuniting with them in Canada and risking Aryan purity

He really fucking sucked. They did teach a surprising amount of that in my early 2000s high school history class, but didn't really put enough polish on how badly he sucked for it to stick with a lot of students, I think. Most people probably just recognize the name and the statue.

(He did a lot more awful stuff than this, but that's probably a decent primer without going into a full Wiki page of it)

To add on a little, because why not, his laundry list would also include things like:

1. Being the only statesman at the time to refer to Canada as "Aryan"
    2. Considering people of other ethnicities to be completely separate species
    3. Lauding and celebrating the American Confederacy's defense of slavery
    4. Possibly naming the Confederation after the above

On a scale of 1-10 for racism, even for the time, Macdonald rated a pretty firm "Howard Philips Lovecraft"

So many Canadians being shocked, SHOCKED, that people would thoughtlessly disrespect the legacy of a Founding Father, suggests (again) that white Canadians and white Americans are fundamentally the same

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    what kills me is that even if you assume the best intentions, on a pure tactical level this is such fucking loser rhetoric

just completely buying right into the right wing narrative that the protests are illegitimate, violent, and in need of being suppressed by the state to stop the Bad Protesters from doing the Looting

you're watching them paint the tunnel on the wall and then still running into it

Elendil on
  • Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    I had not heard of Double Down News but this is a good piece.

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    what kills me is that even if you assume the best intentions, on a pure tactical level this is such fucking loser rhetoric

just completely buying right into the right wing narrative that the protests are illegitimate, violent, and in need of being suppressed by the state to stop the Bad Protesters from doing the Looting

you're watching them paint the tunnel on the wall and then still running into it

i think a lot of it is they're having trouble squaring fifty years of telling themselves that liberals/leftists are soft babies with suddenly finding out that wait hang on, liberals and leftists aren't two words for the same thing, and some of them are willing to risk being killed by police in order to burn down buildings, that is not something a soft baby would do at all

it's gonna be Real Interesting to see what happens when it sinks in with the right wing that leftists are armed almost to the extent that they are, and by and large they're more responsible and competent with their weapons to boot

• Options

this is a fuckin' pro click

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

this is a fuckin' pro click

Feels more honest than that dress pic that circulated during the gray protest.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular

Wow this is shit hot! Well worth a listen

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

To add on a little, because why not, his laundry list would also include things like:

On a scale of 1-10 for racism, even for the time, Macdonald rated a pretty firm "Howard Philips Lovecraft"

So many Canadians being shocked, SHOCKED, that people would thoughtlessly disrespect the legacy of a Founding Father, suggests (again) that white Canadians and white Americans are fundamentally the same

I think a big part of it is that we just....don't even know our history really, especially in comparison to the States where it has a lot more play in cultural media, even though a lot of it is practically a creation myth

His name's on a bunch of stuff and his face is on the money and so he must be good??

I honestly think if you tore down the statues and the names people would not be able to name the first prime minister outside of history majors, high school students, and trivia teams

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options

I think a big part of it is that we just....don't even know our history really, especially in comparison to the States where it has a lot more play in cultural media, even though a lot of it is practically a creation myth

His name's on a bunch of stuff and his face is on the money and so he must be good??

I honestly think if you tore down the statues and the names people would not be able to name the first prime minister outside of history majors, high school students, and trivia teams

i'd say we americans don't know our history basically at all really. we have a mythology that we're taught in school and gets propagated by media that includes a little fact, but the actual history is a long line of atrocities that basically no one knows or talks about

american history for almost everyone is pretty much a handful of gods carved the country from nothing after a revolution to secure freedom for everyone, then a bunch of nothing, then the civil war depending on where you live was either bringing seceding traitors to heel or an illegal invasion by an aggressing foreign nation, then we saved europe's ass in WWI and then again in WWII, then the russkies suddenly turned evil so we had to do a bunch of invasions to fight them off, then we won vietnam which was a good idea in the first place, then ronald reagan became the greatest president in history, then 9/11 and the last twenty years haven't been a clusterfuck of symptoms of a decaying empire at all, no siree

everybody knows the founding fathers, but no one knows the many and varied crimes of william westmoreland, which is probably more important to know

• Options
    edited August 2020
    also re: yesterday evening's conversation

pD8u7q7.jpg

what a lovingly faithful digital representation of a ghoul wearing a human's skin

Typhoid Manny on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Also
    also re: yesterday evening's conversation

pD8u7q7.jpg

what a lovingly faithful digital representation of a ghoul wearing a human's skin

SCP-1981

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

still focusing on the important shit

please, please, SOMEBODY think of the property

bold take from a white senator living on stolen land

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    nWcUkQi.jpg?1

and some bonus good shit i found when i was looking for that
    gVFqtXv.jpg

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    This isn't exactly the first time that John A MacDonald statue has been defaced, it's a pretty regular occurrence

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    from all i've heard of him, he seems like a good dude to deface statues of, early and often

• Options
    Oh yeah, definitely. I just think it's important to note since the Canadian Conservatives are framing it as some sort of sea change in political violence in Quebec

Which is frankly, silly as hell. Get back to me when we're dealing with assassinations and mail bombs

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

This video is absolutely worth watching all the way through.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

What city is this?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    It's Portland, there was a bunch of Trumpists that drove through downtown.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

One person deceased after a shooting in Downtown Portland. Initial eyewitness report to me was that victim was black. Now seeing evidence he appears white.

Unclear if this was related to the protests or today's Trump rally.

edit- Updated with more recent information. Robert Evans is a Bellingcat reporter.

Midnite on
  • Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    DC reports are still unconfirmed.

Midnite on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Deleted tweet because, yeah, we know it's going on and I shouldn't post some fucking maga fuckmumps being maga fuckmumps. No need.

Stay safe yall

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Can we get some sourcing and attribution on tweets?

This discussion has been closed.