As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Against Everyone’s Better Judgement The [Movie] Thread is Open

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Oh sure, it's great. It's just not a very good Twilight Zone episode

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    apparently the Tokyo version of Tower of Terror has more of a plot, but has nothing to do with the Twilight Zone

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Evil Martin Sheen is maybe my favorite version of Martin Sheen.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

How do you feel about Spawn

edited August 2020
    Tokyo Disney's take on the Haunted Mansion is called Mystic Manor and stars a cute monkey making trouble in a victorian mansion, which sounds p cool

a866hh9yagd3.jpg

But anyway, time to steer this back to the topic of movies

igyi34h8pei3.jpg

wandering on
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I went on Tower of Terror once, and as someone who doesn’t like height, getting thrashed around, or plummeting, it was a goddamn wide awake nightmare. I’m glad it’s dead.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Mystic Manor exists because the way people think about spirits is very different then America so they changed it to be more magic based

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    I went on Tower of Terror once, and as someone who doesn’t like height, getting thrashed around, or plummeting, it was a goddamn wide awake nightmare. I’m glad it’s dead.
    I don't think it's dead? Except at Disneyland, where it's been re-themed as a Guardians of the Galaxy thing, but is still basically the same ride

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »

How do you feel about Spawn

Oh, big fan.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Mystic Manor has a bunch of cool effects but since it's a trackless ride there's also a bunch of empty space everywhere so it doesn't have the same charm as the Haunted Mansion does, I think.

DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Mystic Manor has a bunch of cool effects but since it's a trackless ride there's also a bunch of empty space everywhere so it doesn't have the same charm as the Haunted Mansion does, I think.
    Haunted Mansion is packed-to-the-gills in a way that Disney won't do these days. For their Avatar river ride they touted how advanced the animatronic technology they developed for it was...and then I rode it and found out there is, I think literally, one animatronic Navi in the whole ride. Maybe two. The Haunted Mansion has over a hundred

I think they just kind of ran out of budget for the Avatar river ride, and they've started to switch to a lot more like, projection effects and screen stuff than anything (though they're not as bad on this front as Universal has been)

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    I don't think it's dead? Except at Disneyland, where it's been re-themed as a Guardians of the Galaxy thing, but is still basically the same ride

Perfect Twilight Zone twist

04xkcuvaav19.png
    The ball room dancing ghosts in Haunted Mansion look just as good as they did in the 60s

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Jeez I had heard a few snippets of the stuff said in New mutants and I was like "haha damn ok what did they actually say" but nope that's what they actually said

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    so many of the effects in the Haunted Mansion still hold up extremely well. the bit at the end when there are ghosts in the mirror? very good

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Bill & Ted Face the Music is absolutely the sweet, nostalgic fun with modern sensibilities that I needed right now. I streamed it for my brother and a bunch of old friends tonight and we all loved it.

Sadly, everyone else signed off before the post-credits scene. So consider this your notice that there's a post-credits scene to stick around for.

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Sucks to hear New Mutants is not just a turd, but hateful as well, because “Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, but super heroes” is a concept that just floods me with dopamine.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    hearing about how dani moonstar got treated both in and out of the movie makes me feel a little better about my actor cousin constantly just narrowly avoiding being in an X-Men film.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    That Dune Sandworm maw looks awesome

I am so excited for that movie

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    so many of the effects in the Haunted Mansion still hold up extremely well. the bit at the end when there are ghosts in the mirror? very good

I swear I had the same ghost every time I rode it.

DarkPrimus wrote: »

I swear I had the same ghost every time I rode it.
    you still have him because he followed you home

• Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Mystic Manor is Hong Kong Disneyland. Tokyo Disneyland has a similar Haunted Mansion to the US parks, with different details. Tokyo DisneySea has the Twilight Zone-less Tower of Terror.

Paris has Phantom Manor, which ties into a more cohesive Thunder Mesa lore.

I now apologize for being That Guy.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Sylvester Stallone is apparently putting together a new director's cut of Rocky IV, and this time he's decided he's getting rid of the robot.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    how dare he

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    That's going to really confuse people for the big robot plotline payoff in Creed II.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I watched through every Bill and Ted movie yesterday

I had seen Excellent Adventure before, but not Bogus Journey, and was very surprised at how well it held up and how funny it was! Both those films are such time capsules but they're also so absurd and so silly that they almost have a timeless feeling? It's weird! But a lot of things about Bogus Journey in particular are weird... somehow I had never learned what "Station" was and I was not prepared for that

Oh and Face the Music was a worthy sequel, as silly and absurd and weirdly wholesome, with some excellent gags and a good heart to it. I don't think it's going to be a lingering cult classic in the same way, but it's really funny to see Keanu attempt to convey that "bouncy airhead himbo" energy again, even if he can't play as stupid as a middle-aged man

(seriously his performance in those first two films is a triumph of physical acting, all he has to do is smile and you know that he and Bill share one brain cell and Bill's got full custody)

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I just want everyone to know that the robot in Face the Music is played by Anthony Carrigan from Barry

You mean Anthony Carrigan from GOTHAM

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Jane Wiedlin is one of my earliest crushes because of Bill and Ted

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Ivan Drago should have beaten Paulie to death in a misguided attempt to upset Rocky

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Jane Wiedlin is one of my earliest crushes because of Bill and Ted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS3S731LQUE

Postin this because I had it on loop a frightening amount a few months ago.

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Ivan Drago should have beaten Paulie to death in a misguided attempt to upset Rocky

One thing I really appreciate the series, is that Paulie is a piece of shit, and they never try and do a redemption arc with him. Rocky loves him, but keeps telling him to stop being awful, and Paulie dies alone but for Rocky having been a shit his entire life.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Bill and Ted Face the Music was a delight

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Apparently in the new director’s cut of Rocky IV Ivan Drago fights the robot from Real Steel.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »

One thing I really appreciate the series, is that Paulie is a piece of shit, and they never try and do a redemption arc with him. Rocky loves him, but keeps telling him to stop being awful, and Paulie dies alone but for Rocky having been a shit his entire life.

alone and off-camera

he doesn't even get to be an inspiration for rocky to dig deep, like Mickey and Apollo

it's what he deserved

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

alone and off-camera

he doesn't even get to be an inspiration for rocky to dig deep, like Mickey and Apollo

it's what he deserved

And he knows it! He knows he's a shit heel that no one likes

ikbUJdU.jpg
    my read on him getting upset about Rocky and Adrian in the first movie has always been that he was secretly afraid that Rocky would stop hanging out with him

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »

alone and off-camera

it's what he deserved

And he knows it! He knows he's a shit heel that no one likes

It's somehow both compassionate and also not endorsing any of his shittyness. Its a real hard needle to thread, but the series does a great job at it.

oh no, am I going to watch all the Rocky movies again??

This discussion has been closed.