As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Lives Matter Thread 5

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Midnite wrote: »
    DC reports are still unconfirmed.

Fwiw, I saw some tweets the other day that that Anoncat account had tweeted some disinformation (I think it was Emily Gorchinski who called it out, who seems to be more reputable), so definitely double check sourcing where you can if they post stuff without attribution

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I had a whole thing in my head about how that Biden sucks, but he's like chemotherapy in that it's going to feel excruciatingly bad, won't cure the disease and may not even work at all; but the cancer is going to kill us for sure, so even getting a four year reprieve is worth a shot.

I can agree with the logic of that, but it's still just so deflating and hollow.

Undead Scottsman on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Huh, footage of the wisconsin terrorist beating up girls is floating around facebook. Not sure if real.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Well tomorrow is going to be an absolute shitshow in the news.

Some right-wing chud attacked someone in Portland with mace, and the person he attacked happened to be armed with a gun. And shot the fucker.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Yeah I mean, he Found Out

But My stomach is in knots, thinking about how many more good people are going to be hurt, directly and indirectly, before things start getting better.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »

But My stomach is in knots, thinking about how many more good people are going to be hurt, directly and indirectly, before things start getting better.

Yeah, tomorrow is going to be bad.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • LabelLabel Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, I think there's more ways to affect the electoral system than just voting. That's the simplest one, that both political parties message around, but it's not the end of the story. Though I believe that politics is (generally) bottom up, not top down.

The goal is to move the electorate, so that the politicians must follow to stay elected. Conservative megadonors have been doing this shit with well funded organizations for decades, all across society. To great success, and I'm not aware of any similar effort on the left.

We do not have to let that go unanswered. Figure out how to move dipshit voters from "I want both sides to compromise" to supporting and demanding a wealth tax and universal healthcare, or whatever other goal you have.

• gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Special K wrote: »
    In fact, she's the most liberal senator according to at least one group (for whatever that opinion is worth):

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/kamala_harris/412678/report-card/2019

The way these trackers measure "most liberal" is by measuring which members of Congress they most frequently vote alongside and cosponsor bills with. The actual content of those bills doesn't matter. If a significant majority of Dems in the Senate vote for (to pick a totally hypothetical example) expanded government surveillance powers, voting for that bill marks a Democrat as "more liberal" if one or more of its cosponsors was also a Democrat. It's no surprise that most Democratic Presidential nominees who've come out of Congress have qualified for "most liberal" status when "most liberal" really means "most likely to vote in lockstep with the party".

Can we just not do this in the BLM thread? Go make an elections thread or something.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    I’m torn because on the one hand I can understand wanting the thread to focus more specifically on the protests

But on the other the two, ultimately, are not as severable as we want them to be and ultimately are constituent parts of the same system at play.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Label wrote: »
    Can we get some sourcing and attribution on tweets?

Seriously
    This
    Always
    Please

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited August 2020
    Very much interrelated, but easily divisible into two discrete threads. It would make it easier to keep track of BLM news and info. The only time this thread seems to explode is when someone comes in here to remind us to vote blue no matter who. We then descend into a multi-page politicking affair, which we then repeat every 10 days or so

Edit: anyway, I’m not a mod, I’d just really like it those that want to have the conversation would do it, that’s all

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I keep encountering folks who have this misplaced fear that you can't protest AND also vote.

I wonder where that's coming from.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/williesworld/article/Willie-Brown-Burning-and-looting-in-the-name-of-15523349.php

Dee Kae on
  • Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    Huh, footage of the wisconsin terrorist beating up girls is floating around facebook. Not sure if real.

internet sleuthing as always should be treated with the utmost suspicion even though the twitter clouseau brigade actually got it right for once recently, but also it doesn't stretch credibility all that much to believe that someone who put himself in a situation where he'd get to shoot some people would also be down with beating people up without provocation

lying awake staring at the ceiling last night i found myself thinking about the whole kenosha situation. murderer is 17, which means he probably was 13 for the last election. by all accounts his mother is a real true believer fascist who gleefully foisted that shit on her son, which her driving him to the protest so he could do some brownshirting pretty much bears that out. he also appears to have been an enthusiastic police cargo cultist, and i don't think it's that far a jump from "the police are justified in killing anyone they want" to "i want to be police, so i'm justified in killing these people i forced a confrontation with." it's worrying as hell to me that there's likely a lot more young people like this one, who started getting politically aware during the current administration and have bought into all that shit, and in any case don't really know anything else

i don't know, this is just another item on the pile of shit that's making our general situation feel so precarious. in any case i ain't been sleeping particularly well lately!

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I had a whole thing in my head about how that Biden sucks, but he's like chemotherapy in that it's going to feel excruciatingly bad, won't cure the disease and may not even work at all; but the cancer is going to kill us for sure, so even getting a four year reprieve is worth a shot.

I can agree with the logic of that, but it's still just so deflating and hollow.

Here's the analogy I've gone with - America has cancer and needs chemo and everything else you just said - but Biden isn't chemotherapy because he's not likely to help us with what ails us.

He's a tourniquet, because we fucked around with a wheat thresher and found out and now we just need to live long enough to make it to our next bout of chemo.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

internet sleuthing as always should be treated with the utmost suspicion even though the twitter clouseau brigade actually got it right for once recently, but also it doesn't stretch credibility all that much to believe that someone who put himself in a situation where he'd get to shoot some people would also be down with beating people up without provocation

lying awake staring at the ceiling last night i found myself thinking about the whole kenosha situation. murderer is 17, which means he probably was 13 for the last election. by all accounts his mother is a real true believer fascist who gleefully foisted that shit on her son, which her driving him to the protest so he could do some brownshirting pretty much bears that out. he also appears to have been an enthusiastic police cargo cultist, and i don't think it's that far a jump from "the police are justified in killing anyone they want" to "i want to be police, so i'm justified in killing these people i forced a confrontation with." it's worrying as hell to me that there's likely a lot more young people like this one, who started getting politically aware during the current administration and have bought into all that shit, and in any case don't really know anything else

i don't know, this is just another item on the pile of shit that's making our general situation feel so precarious. in any case i ain't been sleeping particularly well lately!

If it makes you happy, statistically, there's a lot more young people who are utterly done with the system like you, especially because they are getting stomped by it, than there are of this fascist chud.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    i'm sticking with what i said earlier

biden will strictly speaking be "better" but it is not at all clear that he will be meaningfully better

if there's an argument for voting for him it's that he might bow to pressure from protest and mass unrest more easily than trump

but then you might also make the argument that if he wins a lot of people are gonna go home and sit down and take a bunch of air out of the balloon

which, to that i'd say that anyone who'd be happy as a clam with a biden presidency wasn't meaningfully helping anyway so who gives a shit

Speed Racer on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

Here's the analogy I've gone with - America has cancer and needs chemo and everything else you just said - but Biden isn't chemotherapy because he's not likely to help us with what ails us.

He's a tourniquet, because we fucked around with a wheat thresher and found out and now we just need to live long enough to make it to our next bout of chemo.

So gonna use this.
    Fencingsax wrote: »

If it makes you happy, statistically, there's a lot more young people who are utterly done with the system like you, especially because they are getting stomped by it, than there are of this fascist chud.

Biden gives us a fighting chance. Verses years and years of triage with the current guy.

Fencingsax wrote: »

numbers definitely aren't nothing, and if that's true it's definitely encouraging, but even going beyond a which-side-will-win type argument, how do you deal with probably millions of young brainwashed fascists if the good guys do end up winning? we just circle back around to young men being extremely dangerous, which we're not even willing to talk about as a society, let alone try to come up with a solution

i'm sticking with what i said earlier

biden will strictly speaking be "better" but it is not at all clear that he will be meaningfully better

if there's an argument for voting for him it's that he might bow to pressure from protest and mass unrest more easily than trump

but then you might also make the argument that if he wins a lot of people are gonna go home and sit down and take a bunch of air out of the balloon

which, to that i'd say that anyone who'd be happy as a clam with a biden presidency wasn't meaningfully helping anyway so who gives a shit

VpQeJJa.jpg?1

• Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    20 bucks says nothing stops if and when Biden win's his term.

If anything it'd push people to continue. How else would we drag him to the left?

The only people who'd go home are those that never stood up in the first place.

do we know yet what happened in portland last night? i've heard the guy that got killed was maybe a brownshirt who was pepper spraying people from the bed of a truck but haven't seen much concrete about it

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »

Yeah, tomorrow is going to be bad.

I'm depressed that we say this every night and we're almost never wrong.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

VpQeJJa.jpg?1

HERESY aside, this is a bad analogy, because the Emperor actually is the best guy to sit on the Golden Throne, solely due to his psychic might powering the Astronomicon.

A better analogy for the Democrats of M41 to use would be trying to replace one of the High Lords of Terra. Maybe one of the useless ones, like the Paternoval Envoy or the Lord-Commander Militant of the Imperial Guard. Just to drive home how ineffective at actual change they are.

Also they would oppose Guilliman's reforms!

I'm sorry, I'm gonna stop acting like a huge nerd now.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    do we know yet what happened in portland last night? i've heard the guy that got killed was maybe a brownshirt who was pepper spraying people from the bed of a truck but haven't seen much concrete about it

Non ideal video allegedly of the incident going around, certainly appears as though two individuals were shouting at eachother mutually approached and exchanged mace and pistol fire

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    57xa8ytlcxs4.jpeg

You love to see it

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Can't wait for some rich conservative asshole to start their own league, take money from conservatives, then pocket the money and run.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Can't wait for some rich conservative asshole to start their own league, take money from conservatives, then pocket the money and run.

it's called the xfl

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

it's called the xfl

It is morally wrong to allow a sucker to keep their money

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

it's called the xfl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk

how bout a tune that i find to be uplifting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwcKwGS7OSQ

i don't know if the words in the chorus are true, but it's a good sentiment in any case

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    But all the sports strikes over money they were fine with and somehow didn't have sports ruined by those?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    But all the sports strikes over money they were fine with and somehow didn't have sports ruined by those?

They cry about those too.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Man. Civil War II: Now with Nazis was not on my 30s bingo card.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/08/30/statement-mls-commissioner-don-garber

Follow up to earlier. Racist shitbag owner of RSL is selling his stakes in not only RSL, but also the affiliated NWSL and USL (women's div 1, men's div 2) soccer teams.

Announcement makes it sound like it's his choice, but I expect that's just cover.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »

At the rate we are going that's gonna be the Free Space in the center

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Theres a credible argument that if Germany hadnt fallen to fascism we might have instead.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

Theres a credible argument that if Germany hadnt fallen to fascism we might have instead.

there's a credible argument that we both did anyway

there's a credible argument that we both did anyway

I mean after WW2 we had a fairly large explosion in civil and labor rights.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Back before the American Civil War, the South largely held the opinion that even if the North was becoming increasingly anti-slavery, they were largely incapable of taking action on the matter and so they felt relatively safe.

There are fairly convincing arguments that armed abolitionists attacks, and learning that they received funding from free state and abolitionist figures in the North, spooked the South and made them skittish enough to move forward with secession.

Basically once they realized that abolitionists had guns, they freaked the fuck out.

This discussion has been closed.