As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Lives Matter Thread 5

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Back before the American Civil War, the South largely held the opinion that even if the North was becoming increasingly anti-slavery, they were largely incapable of taking action on the matter and so they felt relatively safe.

There are fairly convincing arguments that armed abolitionists attacks, and learning that they received funding from free state and abolitionist figures in the North, spooked the South and made them skittish enough to move forward with secession.

Basically once they realized that abolitionists had guns, they freaked the fuck out.

Everyone read the Battle Cry of Freedom.

It does a great job at contextualizing the civil war and also has bits such as Brigadier General Lyons, saying
    "“Rather than concede to the state of Missouri….the right to dictate to my government in any matter however unimportant, I would see you, and you, and you, and you, and you, and every man, woman, and child in the state dead and buried. This means war."

And then exiling those in the government of Missouri who wanted to succeed.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I think I've seen that guy around town. Hey thats one of my walmarts!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If Reconstruction had not been deliberately killed off and Jim Crow allowed to fester in its place, it's entirely possible the Nazis would never have such a great role model to crib their ethnostate plans from.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    those underpaid workers have a hell of a lot of self control for dealing with that crazy screaming asshole getting in their face like that. Not sure I could do that.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have difficulty not meeting anger with anger when its a complete stranger.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    If Reconstruction had not been deliberately killed off and Jim Crow allowed to fester in its place, it's entirely possible the Nazis would never have such a great role model to crib their ethnostate plans from.

Thanks, Rutherford Hayes!

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    The day I realized how deep Samuel Clemens was trying to cut with huck Finn Was a very special day.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Orca wrote: »
    those underpaid workers have a hell of a lot of self control for dealing with that crazy screaming asshole getting in their face like that. Not sure I could do that.

I have stopped fighting customers about masks, because I don't get paid enough to get yelled at.

Magell on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Man. Civil War II: Now with Nazis was not on my 30s bingo card.

Robert Evans has been saying it's coming for a while now.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-it-could-happen-here-30717896/

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

I have stopped fighting customers about masks, because I don't get paid enough to get yelled at.

Whereas I’ve told a boomer behind me at checkout that I hope he drowns in his own mucus!

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Ugh, now folks trying to paint a Wisconsin victim as a sex predator.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I'm not mad at employees for not stopping people without masks.

I'm mad at companies not supporting them in a way that makes it safe to do so.

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular

it's not enough for them to believe that their guy did everything right and was involved in a Good Shoot (there's a great bit of cop lingo right there), the people he defended himself against have to all be felons and one of them Literally A Pedophile no less. this way if one of the aspects of their defense of a murderer ends up being indefensible, they can bounce right on over to the other, then once the other one is proved wrong enough time has passed to move back to the first

alternately they just don't give a fuck about objective truth and will say anything that makes their shit sound better

also

n2qJCTc.jpg?1

lee carter's pretty good

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I mean if you listen to QAnon, everyone that is against them is secret pedophiles

It's not terribly surprising, this has been their playbook for awhile

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Well, their playbook has been "all our enemies are secret scheming communists controlled by international Jewry", I think the pedophilia thing is kind of new

• Options
    edited August 2020
    the everyone i don't like is a communist thing has always killed me. it was a staggeringly effective victory on the part of terrible people to have so successfully diluted a term to the point where millions of people can honestly believe that barack obama and karl marx have any ideological common ground besides like "food is good," maybe

like goddamn, don't lump folks like me in with obama. some of us actually believe in things

Typhoid Manny on
  • Options
    Well, their playbook has been "all our enemies are secret scheming communists controlled by international Jewry", I think the pedophilia thing is kind of new

The right has been making bad faith attacks on prominent figures en masse for literally years now with accusations of pedophilia

• Options
    yeah but the antisemitic accusations of communism go back like a century. the pedophile drug cult shit is pretty new compared to that

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Eh kind of. "Theyre jews (bad)" and "they commit crimes against children" have gone hand in hand for centuries. Blood libel.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

As one of these overstressed, and underpaid workers, I am dreading when one of these assholes ends up at my work, because I very much doubt I will have anywhere near the self control the people in this video have, and am gonna end up in serious trouble.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    I mean even if you confine their obsession with pedophilia to only the past four or so years

That's still plenty of time to not be surprised when they accuse more people of pedophilia

• Options
    in any case we can probably all agree that fascists and their allies are 100% okay with spuriously accusing people of things that usually don't even make sense, as a way of deflecting attention from their own crimes

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

The right has been making bad faith attacks on prominent figures en masse for literally years now with accusations of pedophilia

Oh, they don;t just fuck the kids anymore, either. No, now they torture them to death so they produce a specific hormone that the elites consume to keep themselves young!

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Who is responsible for adrenochrome anyway, like as a crazy mindwarping superdrug, was that wholly Hunter Thompson or was the notion in the air

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Who is responsible for adrenochrome anyway, like as a crazy mindwarping superdrug, was that wholly Hunter Thompson or was the notion in the air

until the Q shit spun up i had only ever heard about it in fear and loathing, yeah

which if the channers who first started all this mythology used that as an intentional nod to dr thompson, that is oddly kinda fitting

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular

Well anyone would if their job was on the line.

As someone who used to work at Wally World, they do not have any other choice other than putting up with those kinds of assholes. Seriously.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    My wife worked at walmart when she was in high school. Some old racist shithead yelling about masks, as she tells it, wouldnt even be the worst thing they dealt with that day.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    the extent to which our civilization is cool with shitting on low-paid workers it couldn't exist without tells you everything you need to know about america

it's not enough that we knowingly pay people who do indispensable work too little to survive on, we also require them to take whatever abuse any entitled fucker that walks in feels like dishing out

• Options
    Nation’s Politicians, Law Enforcement, Corporate Executives Marvel At Futuristic Utopia They’re Living In

NEW YORK—Expressing disbelief that they were so fortunate to experience a true golden age of prosperity and technological wonder, the nation’s politicians, law enforcement officers, and executives marveled Wednesday at the futuristic utopia they get to live in. “To think that I have all this at my fingertips, whether it’s automated high-volume stock trading or unlimited surveillance footage of my employees, it’s like something out of a science fiction paradise,” said pharmaceutical executive Ron Pollard, who claimed previous generations of police officers, elected officials, and business leaders could never comprehend the world of unlimited possibilities that has been created for them, where they are free to do whatever they want all the time.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular

it's not enough for them to believe that their guy did everything right and was involved in a Good Shoot (there's a great bit of cop lingo right there), the people he defended himself against have to all be felons and one of them Literally A Pedophile no less. this way if one of the aspects of their defense of a murderer ends up being indefensible, they can bounce right on over to the other, then once the other one is proved wrong enough time has passed to move back to the first

alternately they just don't give a fuck about objective truth and will say anything that makes their shit sound better

also

n2qJCTc.jpg?1

lee carter's pretty good

See, I don’t like this tweet and the others that outright state that defending yourself by any means necessary is playing into the hands of the fascists. “They want you to shoot back to justify further escalation”

I’m just sitting here thinking, what the fuck else can you do? Fucked over if you don’t say something and they don’t want you to protest in any way, shape or form.

Refusing to defend yourself will not save us from fascism.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I really don't think that's what it's saying, the press and the nazis are the guilty parties there

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Because nothing disempowers or disperses violent bullies like letting them attack people with zero consequences.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    i don't think that's what he's saying at all

it's totally possible i'm misreading it, but i think he's just saying that the fascists' justifications now for doing what they were gonna do anyway are basically identical to the story that the early NSDAP spun up back in the day

since it doesn't matter what you do in reaction to the fascists' plans, they're gonna keep doing the same shit no matter what, i think you're right that folks can't really do anything but defend themselves

e: what shorty said. you're aight, shorty

Typhoid Manny on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Shorty you’re right. I was just reading some shit from people elsewhere and now I’m reading that message into everything. I need to go on a long walk

E:spelling

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I think you might be misreading that tweet

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Lee Carter is extremely pro defend-yourself-from-fascists-with-blood-if-necessary

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I think Nazis want to be attacked because that's their plan. Provoke and then play victim.

I think they think they will gain power this way.

I also think appeasement is worse.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    I think Nazis want to be attacked because that's their plan. Provoke and then play victim.

I think they think they will gain power this way.

I also think appeasement is worse.

that's the plan maybe in a high level kind of way, but when the rubber meets the road they mostly are cowards and the ones willing to potentially get killed by antifascists in order to further the narrative are thin on the ground. everybody wants to be a hero, but nobody wants to be horst wessel

i think it also doesn't really matter if the brownshirts actually take casualties in fights, they'll claim getting attacked whether it's true or not and the news will uncritically report what they tell them as the truth

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    the ceo of antifa has been identified

118669192_3369181353129618_2456279032885968309_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=VG1KIZxH-GUAX8_UDjb&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-2.fna&oh=bb0d6b0dd22b201da7ab97083e2652c6&oe=5F7394F9

This discussion has been closed.