As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Google Assistant has only been around for 3-4 years (and "OK Google" less than that), but four could mean "several" I suppose.

I'm glad it's not just me, the LGG8 sub-reddit is filled it similar complaints. Ah well.

Several could also be 2, or even 3. For what it's worth I've been using Pixels for the past 3 years.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    "Is it raining outside?" apparently means "Hardware."

Google Assistant is great at bringing up hardware stores though. :tell_me_more:

EDIT: Yeah, this is definitely an update issue. My month-old phone is installed with the relatively ancient 10.84.19.21 by default. At some point, Google's update "improved" it so that "Set an alarm" sounds like "Shirley Temple". Unfortunately, that original version doesn't work with the clock or calendar. I guess I need to pick through versions until I can find one that does both. Thanks.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I was able to use it just fine on my phone. Not sure how it's possible to be a hardware issue... Can you do a sound recorder of yourself saying "Is it raining outside" and see if it comes through oddly?

The Google Assistant integration with my Harmony remote makes it really useful. When I'm in the kitchen I can say "Hey Google turn on my PS4" and by the time I walk downstairs my TV is on and on the correct input. Once I got that setup I don't think I'll ever not have it.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    urahonky wrote: »
    I was able to use it just fine on my phone. Not sure how it's possible to be a hardware issue... Can you do a sound recorder of yourself saying "Is it raining outside" and see if it comes through oddly?

It does not. It sounds exactly like anything else recorded by my phone's microphone sounds.

The issue is that the voice recognition software in Google, immediately after saying "OK, Google." or "Hello, Google," sucks to the point of being useless. If you activate the assistant's voice recognition by another means, like using the 'Google Assistant' shortcut or holding down a key, it will interpret what you say with normal accuracy.

In other words, an update bug. If you want to use the phone while driving, you'll need to hold down the button. I would revert to the version of the app that came with my phone, if it could access my clock.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    That's very interesting. I wish I could see their source code and check it out because that doesn't make any sense.

• Options
    That's very interesting. I wish I could see their source code and check it out because that doesn't make any sense.

It's perfectly reproducible, even after restarting the phone multiple times. Lovely.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    One thing to remember with some apps is that no two phone models have the exact same version, even of the same app. This is especially true of google apps.

If you were to look at the exact build number of the google app on a Pixel 4, it'll probably be different than the build number on a Pixel 3, or Galaxy S20, or Moto G Power. This is because each phone has different hardware and subsystems, so the phone pulls down a very specific version of the app. (this is also why using something like apkmirror for system/google apps isn't always the best idea). It could just be that the specific build of that specific version for that specific phone is broken.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    And that's why I'm testing out APKs.

11.16.15.21 (from the first of July) fixes the idiot-voice-recognition bug, while still working with my phone. It has some ugly font choices though, I can see why Google fixed those.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Synthesis, it is amazing to me how many problems you run into with windows and android apps and TVs. What did you do in your prior life?

• Options
    edited August 2020
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Synthesis, it is amazing to me how many problems you run into with windows and android apps and TVs. What did you do in your prior life?

Yeah, but when was the last time I had a problem with Windows 10?

Helping others out doesn't count.

eieodgcfqahc.jpg

Synthesis on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I remember the indexing service shenanigans you were trying to fix.
    3d3ainzf9dgl.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I remember the indexing service shenanigans you were trying to fix.
    3d3ainzf9dgl.jpg

Literally years ago. :lol:

EDIT: For reference, I searched "Indexing" posts with my name--I helped someone else with their Indexing Issues two years ago. That's six in Android handset years.

c1l9bqey7zid.jpg

Synthesis on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Hey google home fam - anyone know how to get her to stop telling me extraneous "by the way," shit after confirming a command?

These "FYI speakers have volume controls, you absolute simpleton" chirps are getting irritating.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Whelp, Firefox had just become the second app that I've disabled automatic updates for. Great work, Mozilla.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Cormac wrote: »
    Is there an adblocking YouTube app for Android TV? I'm getting really sick of seeing the same goddamn ad for a local car dealership and the random ads inserted into videos.

Edit: I sideloaded Blockada and we'll see how that goes. It works great on my phone at least.

Edit2: Blockada is working great!

I'm going to try this out. I've been getting Trump ads on my YouTube app and no matter how many times I report it they keep showing up.

Edit: still got ads when I activated it. Oh well.

It does seem to be inconsistent. It has been blocking preroll ads but some in video ads still play every now and then. It does absolutely nothing in my phone but I rarely watch YouTube on it.

A quick update to this: I've found both Blockada and AdGuard to either do nothing or occasionally/randomly block ads on Youtube. I've given up on both of them and started using Smart Youtube TV and so far it's blocking all ads. It does run a bit slower than the official Youtube app likely because it's basically a web interface, but I'll gladly deal with that to not have pre-roll and in video ads.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Whelp, Firefox had just become the second app that I've disabled automatic updates for. Great work, Mozilla.

I don't see an easy way to roll back, so I'm probably just going to stop using it.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Is there an adblocking YouTube app for Android TV? I'm getting really sick of seeing the same goddamn ad for a local car dealership and the random ads inserted into videos.

Edit: I sideloaded Blockada and we'll see how that goes. It works great on my phone at least.

I'm going to try this out. I've been getting Trump ads on my YouTube app and no matter how many times I report it they keep showing up.

It does seem to be inconsistent. It has been blocking preroll ads but some in video ads still play every now and then. It does absolutely nothing in my phone but I rarely watch YouTube on it.

A quick update to this: I've found both Blockada and AdGuard to either do nothing or occasionally/randomly block ads on Youtube. I've given up on both of them and started using Smart Youtube TV and so far it's blocking all ads. It does run a bit slower than the official Youtube app likely because it's basically a web interface, but I'll gladly deal with that to not have pre-roll and in video ads.

Youtube have figured out how to get around Blokada/VPN-based filtering. But you can run Youtube Vanced in conjunction with Blokada (whitelist the app) and you will get a completely ad-free experience.

AdGuard not being open-source and run out of Moscow makes it really questionable to use. See also: the vast majority of privacy add-ons for web browsers.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »

I don't see an easy way to roll back, so I'm probably just going to stop using it.

There are apks that you can download, though you'll lose all of the local cookies (and everything else if you have nothing else to sync to).

• Options

Youtube have figured out how to get around Blokada/VPN-based filtering. But you can run Youtube Vanced in conjunction with Blokada (whitelist the app) and you will get a completely ad-free experience.

AdGuard not being open-source and run out of Moscow makes it really questionable to use. See also: the vast majority of privacy add-ons for web browsers.

Firefox with an adblocker works fine for Youtube, in my experience (though it does stop the video when out of focus).

I'd strongly recommend either using the beta version or tracking down an APK for 68, though. The release version isn't in a good state right now. I personally wouldn't say that the beta version is in a good state either and I don't expect that to change any time soon, but at least it's missing slightly fewer features.

• Options
    It's incredible how legitimately awful the new version is, and I can't understand how they thought releasing it in this state was a good idea.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Context?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Context?

Mozilla put the release version of Android Firefox into maintenance mode while they worked on writing a completely new version. Up to this point, the new version has been restricted to an alternative app on the store. Yesterday (earlier for Europe), they pushed that version out to the normal app. And I hate it.

• Options
    It is legitimately awful. The UI is awful, things that are every day actions take multiple taps/swipes, very very basic UI elements are gone (like the back button, and tabs), all customization options are gone, there are only 9 working extensions, about://config is gone, nothing sortable or rearrangeable (like bookmarks; and folders are not sorted to the top of the list of bookmarks), you can't add bookmarks to the new page view. I could go on.

And that's just the UI. Somehow the rendering engine is way buggier than either the old mobile version, or the current desktop version. Lots of web pages have elements that can't be interacted with properly (like trying to tap certain UI elements in youtube videos causes the page to jump position instead of clicking a button). Lots of people are having issues with crashing or the app not starting.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular

Firefox with an adblocker works fine for Youtube, in my experience (though it does stop the video when out of focus).

I'd strongly recommend either using the beta version or tracking down an APK for 68, though. The release version isn't in a good state right now. I personally wouldn't say that the beta version is in a good state either and I don't expect that to change any time soon, but at least it's missing slightly fewer features.

This is strictly on an Android TV. Thankfully, I have zero issues blocking on PC, but I do the majority of my watching on TV at least when I'm at home. I have tried Vanced but there is not a version that has a TV interface as far as I can tell. If you've ever tried using an app that's designed for a touch screen on a TV with a remote you're in for a bad time. On my phone I either use Firefox or Vanced.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    It is legitimately awful. The UI is awful, things that are every day actions take multiple taps/swipes, very very basic UI elements are gone (like the back button, and tabs), all customization options are gone, there are only 9 working extensions, about://config is gone, nothing sortable or rearrangeable (like bookmarks; and folders are not sorted to the top of the list of bookmarks), you can't add bookmarks to the new page view. I could go on.

And that's just the UI. Somehow the rendering engine is way buggier than either the old mobile version, or the current desktop version. Lots of web pages have elements that can't be interacted with properly (like trying to tap certain UI elements in youtube videos causes the page to jump position instead of clicking a button). Lots of people are having issues with crashing or the app not starting.

Very glad I read this before my phone updated Firefox. Disabled auto update and will wait until they get their act together.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

Hmm, well I guess I'll be That Guy, and say it works fine for me. The only difference I see is the controls have been moved to the bottom, I always had to use the system level back button to go back on web pages anyway and that's still there, tabs still function as they did before for me. I have never used bookmarks or folders or gestures on mobile so can't speak to that I guess, haven't noticed any rendering problems yet, though I don't do a ton of phone browsing but I've put in at least a few hours since the update. I'm on a Galaxy S8.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Question. I currently have a samsubg galaxy s6. I have the option to be gifted a google pixel 3 xl.

Which is the better phone?

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    Question. I currently have a samsubg galaxy s6. I have the option to be gifted a google pixel 3 xl.

The Pixel in a heartbeat.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    the only thing on the 4A I really miss (well, besides the speakers on the pixel 2) is a notification light. I stopped using the always-on display since that seemed to really eat battery and I'd just love an at-a-glance way of knowing something came up if I left the phone in another room or whatever and came back.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    the only thing on the 4A I really miss (well, besides the speakers on the pixel 2) is a notification light. I stopped using the always-on display since that seemed to really eat battery and I'd just love an at-a-glance way of knowing something came up if I left the phone in another room or whatever and came back.

Do you have the "peek" feature turned on? You should be able to have the screen turn on briefly when you pick up the phone. I understand this probably isn't what you want but it's another way to check.

It looks like there are apps that add the functionality back but a quick glance doesn't show anything rated 4 stars+

• Options
    Yes, I have peek but the problem is it requires me to interact with the phone. I might just use always-on and deal with the battery cost, which isn't the end of the world in the grand scheme of things.

• Options
    Not having a notification light seems like one of those "take the headphone jack out" kinds of totally stupid decisions

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Thank you. Gonna pick it up and transfer everything later. My girlfriend did the "ok google set up my device" to transfer her old phone to new, does that actually transfer everything?

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular

Thank you. Gonna pick it up and transfer everything later. My girlfriend did the "ok google set up my device" to transfer her old phone to new, does that actually transfer everything?

Probably not quite everything if you're coming from a Samsung but it should get most of the important stuff (apps, contacts, messages depending on what app you were using). I did a Samsung to Nexus transfer years ago and it got pretty much what I needed, is probably improved since then.

• Options
    Thanks for the input. Think im gonna back up my device and transfer my photos/videos just in case

• Options
    Not having a notification light seems like one of those "take the headphone jack out" kinds of totally stupid decisions

Yeah, I don't quite get it either. I'll learn to live without one way or the other. Funny enough now that I have a headphone jack back, I'm likely to rarely use it as well after going three years without. :rotate:

• Options
    furlion wrote: »

Very glad I read this before my phone updated Firefox. Disabled auto update and will wait until they get their act together.

Don't forget, even if you update it, you can always download an APK of a version of Firefox that doesn't suck.

Like I did with the Google app.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »

Don't forget, even if you update it, you can always download an APK of a version of Firefox that doesn't suck.

Like I did with the Google app.

You can, but it can be a bit finicky. It worked fine on my tablet, but my phone updated the apk back to the new version twice even though I had turned off updates for the app.

Hmm, well I guess I'll be That Guy, and say it works fine for me. The only difference I see is the controls have been moved to the bottom, I always had to use the system level back button to go back on web pages anyway and that's still there, tabs still function as they did before for me. I have never used bookmarks or folders or gestures on mobile so can't speak to that I guess, haven't noticed any rendering problems yet, though I don't do a ton of phone browsing but I've put in at least a few hours since the update. I'm on a Galaxy S8.

The UI on the tablet is significantly worse than the phone UI is. The old tablet UI was similar to the desktop UI with tabs and buttons and such. The new app has none of that. Also, you can move the controls back to the top in the settings menu, but the new tab button stays at the bottom for some reason.

• Options

I'm sure it's less stupid and more "hey we all have always on screens now." There's no need for a notification light.

• Options
    edited August 2020

The UI on the tablet is significantly worse than the phone UI is. The old tablet UI was similar to the desktop UI with tabs and buttons and such. The new app has none of that. Also, you can move the controls back to the top in the settings menu, but the new tab button stays at the bottom for some reason.

ahhhh, I see

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif