As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D Discussion] 5th Edition HD Remaster Coming in 2024, Entering the Disney Vault in 2025

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Wait, 6th edition?

It's speculation. They recently did a public survey that looks a whole lot like the polls they did before other edition changes. If they're only now polling to determine direction we are 2 to 3 years away from a new edition at the earliest. Though again, speculation through and through.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am DMing (5e) for the first time just running Mines and I am going to scream if people just roll for their spells when it’s a saving throw. I bought you spell cards specifically to avoid this.

Also, someone was not given the help they were promised by another player to build their character, so they have a 15 STR and 8 CHA sorcerer which explains while they’ve been relying on stuff like Missiles and Burning Hands to get anything accomplished.

Bright Side: these are people brand-new to not just D&D, but tabletop roleplaying period, and are enjoying themselves!

YL9WnCY.png
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Wait, 6th edition?

It's speculation. They recently did a public survey that looks a whole lot like the polls they did before other edition changes. If they're only now polling to determine direction we are 2 to 3 years away from a new edition at the earliest. Though again, speculation through and through.

For my part as thread-titler, it's like 40/60 speculation/joking. I've been saying 5E is on death's door for like two years now but I'm mostly not serious. There's no doubt this edition has been very successful, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down at all. But yeah I'd expect D&D Next 2: Dawn of the Edition Wars in a couple years. Probably. Maybe. Definitely.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Tony DiTerlizzi announced on Twitter earlier that he's working on "a little something" for WotC.

He later clarified that something is not Planescape after his vague post set off a lot of wild speculation.

He also apparently illustrated several Magic cards, so it might not even be D&D related.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Also, someone was not given the help they were promised by another player to build their character, so they have a 15 STR and 8 CHA sorcerer which explains while they’ve been relying on stuff like Missiles and Burning Hands to get anything accomplished.

See now I'm just imagining a very athletic character constantly attempting to do feats of strength to defeat enemies and instead keeps randomly performing magic.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Sterica wrote: »

See now I'm just imagining a very athletic character constantly attempting to do feats of strength to defeat enemies and instead keeps randomly performing magic.

Kate Welch did that already in the C-Team spin-off(?) "Collections Agency"!

https://www.acq-inc.com/our-company/staff#yitzbin-atende

edited August 2020
    WotC's revealed a "Wilderness Kit" product:
    CHART A COURSE IN THE WILDS
    Venture into the wilds with this kit for the world's greatest roleplaying game.

This kit equips the Dungeon Master with a screen and other tools that are perfect for running D&D adventures in the wilderness.

The Dungeon Master’s screen features a gorgeous painting of fantasy landscapes on the outside, and useful rules references cover the inside of the screen, with an emphasis on wilderness rules. The kit also includes the following:
    5 dry-erase sheets, featuring hex maps, a food-and-water tracker, and rules references (wilderness chases, wilderness journeys, and the actions you can take in combat)
    27 cards that make it easy to keep track of conditions, initiative, and environmental effects
    1 box to hold the kit's cards

Hexmage-PA on
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Imagine selling TTRPG accessories for in-person play in 2020.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

I mean to be fair to them, the production tail on these things means it's probably been in the works for a while.

but my immediate thought was in fact "Some version of this as a digital good would serve me so much better"

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I mean to be fair to them, the production tail on these things means it's probably been in the works for a while.

but my immediate thought was in fact "Some version of this as a digital good would serve me so much better"

Yeah a year to two years from when it would've been green lit. Possibly with bonus time for when COVID shut down China and such.

It is kind of rough for their devs since released product is what they were working on years ago.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish

And also making that product focus exclusively on everyone's least favorite parts of the rules.

Denada wrote: »

And also making that product focus exclusively on everyone's least favorite parts of the rules.

I might appreciate these tools as a printable freebie (setting aside the DM Screen, of which I already own one and will likely never use) from the website, but not as a paid product. No thanks, not for me.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »

I might appreciate these tools as a printable freebie (setting aside the DM Screen, of which I already own one and will likely never use) from the website, but not as a paid product. No thanks, not for me.

Curiosity: What do you dislike about the rules?

For me it's honestly a lot of the book keeping - it feels like there's enough to juggle already in the game without having to worry about "...have i eaten?" to that. Also it's a punitive sort of thing, rather than a proactive "I killed this hella boss boar, and i'm gonna turn into a hella boss meal for my fellow adventurers, so we'll be as mighty as the boar!"

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

For me it's honestly a lot of the book keeping - it feels like there's enough to juggle already in the game without having to worry about "...have i eaten?" to that. Also it's a punitive sort of thing, rather than a proactive "I killed this hella boss boar, and i'm gonna turn into a hella boss meal for my fellow adventurers, so we'll be as mighty as the boar!"

After about level 5 wilderness adventuring becomes kind of pointless, unless you’re in extreme environments like avernus or Athas. Even then the payoff better be good for the time taken, or else instead of tense it just becomes book keeping.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Wilderness travel rules were one of the first things I threw out when I started running my ToA game last year. They just don't provide a meaningful or interesting challenge to the party. I found it worked way better to montage the wilderness travel and give the party vignette encounters when something interesting happened. There are bigger things at play than rolling on the random wilderness encounters table - those just distract from getting to the destination and advancing the plot in a meaningful way. And keeping track of water and food quickly becomes pointless if the party is anywhere beyond the first few levels.

For me it's pretty much the same thing. Wilderness exploring, random encounters, tracking rations, it's all kind of just eh and generally not worth the time. D&D just isn't that kind of game and the mechanics present for it are boring.

I think exploration and resource-tracking can be interesting (see @Endless_Serpents Temple of Yonth PbP for a great example), but the way D&D presents it in the book and supports it with written rules just isn't there.

Also I think it's hilarious that the product announcement calls out that you get a box for the cards as a bulleted feature.

Your post, and two between that one and this one, are all something I agree with. Unless it is part of the story one is trying to tell, the nitty gritty of wilderness travel is best left to the narrative and/or handwaved away. If you have a ranger, finding food and water is trivialized. Unless you are low levelled, its trivial to find those things even without a ranger. Again, unless its part of the story (which can be very important!) dealing with the minutiae of wilderness is travel is not worth the time.

• shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    Is there a spell that acts like a video game flashbang in 5e? that is, sphere aoe blind or similar for a short duration?

I know there's the blidness/deafenss spell, but that's not quite the same thing really.

I made this for the Fighter in our LMoP campaign since she wanted more to do than "shoot arrow, do damage" in our game. I figured that this would let her have a little bit of a debuff chance in a fight. She went Battle Master at level 3, but she's still having issues deciding when/how to use her maneuvers. It also lets her and the other non-darkvision having players not have to carry around torches. This was the first magic item I ever made, but this group is not a bunch of powergamers, so I wasn't too worried about balance. It did save their bacon in a fight against 7 orcs and an ogre!
    Eye of the Storm

Weapon (longbow), uncommon (requires attunement by a Item must be focused on for 1 hour. )
    Longbow that has 4 charges. Use 2 charges to cause arrow to emit thunderous noise and bright light where it lands for 10 ft radius. Any creature in the radius has to make a DC 13 Con save to avoid being Stunned. Use 1 charge to have the arrow emit bright light for 15 ft and dim light for 15 ft from where it lands for 1 hour. Bow regains 1d4+1 charges each day.

Proficiency with a longbow allows you to add your proficiency bonus to the attack roll for any attack you make with it.

Notes: Item must be focused on for 1 hour. , Ammunition, Heavy, Range, Two-Handed

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    So, Tortles are a thing, huh? Can they wear armor? Or would they get their shells plated? Or do they get some kind of special rule for armor saves, and if so, how well does it scale for higher levels?

@H3Knuckles
    Think you put this in the wrong thread initially. Figured it'd be better here.

Tortles are a thing, and are badass turtle people.
    +2 str, +1 wis
    Claws (1d4+str, slashing) for unarmed strikes
    Hold breath for 1 hour
    Natural armor: Base AC 17, can't wear armor, dex mod doesn't benefit, can use a shield
    Shell Defense: Withdraw into your shell as a action, +4 ac, advantage on Str, Con saving throws. Prone, speed is 0, disadvantage on Dex saving throws, no reactions, only action you can take is to emerge from your shell
    Proficiency in Survival

So, the AC is pretty great if you go for a class that doesn't use armor, but not being able to strap plate mail on is probably going to hurt you if you want a turtle paladin.
    Could be really fun as a caster with animate object. Throw out a handful of animated objects (maybe spirit guardians or moonbeam?), retreat into your shell to make those con checks when you get hit.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I went looking in CF and saw three D&D threads on the front page. Not surprised I posted it to the wrong one, sorry about that.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    In my SKT (in Exandria) game I'm developing the final area of the campaing, Aeoria, a fallen (literally) civilization of wizards who challenged the gods - who built weapons and constructs to fight angels and devils alike

I'm going to go heavy into Horizon Zero dawn vibes in Aeroia, as the dead, shattered civilization in (what is now) a frozen landmass is prowled by eternal servitors, fulfilling their orders as best as they can even though everyone has been dead a thousand years

I'm even going to have little crystals that have voice journals in them about the last days of the Calamity when the prime and betrayer gods temporarily joined forces to put down this civilization

gonna straight up steal horizon's soundtrack to make it explicit what the inspiration for this is, I look forward to the first time they engage a pack of constructs in battle, these things were designed by Matt Mercer to ruin players' conventional tactics:

Absorber
    Nullifier
    Reverser

I also have a Guardian that is resistant to magical weapons, but not nonmagical weapons, and has the Oath of Ancients paladin aura

Iymrith is normally not in an arctic wasteland, but I have contrived a reason that this ancient, powerful, fallen civilization is the safest place in the world for the wyrm to make her lair

I'm glad I do all this so far ahead cuz this shit is like minimum 6 months away

edited September 2020
    A Forgotten Realms Magic: The Gathering set has been announced.

Rumor has it a Zendikar D&D campaign setting book is going to be announced soon.

So they're really going all-in with this M:tG/D&D crossover thing, I assume to try and get Magic players into D&D.

Hexmage-PA on
  • sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    A Forgotten Realms Magic: The Gathering set has been announced.

Tap Bane to add +10 beefcake to all creatures.

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

So they're really going all-in with this M:tG/D&D crossover thing, I assume to try and get Magic players into D&D.

Probably more the other way around. MTG boosters make the money.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

They're trying to compress that Venn diagram, and squeeze out the tasty money juice inside.

For the longest time WotC vehemently denied that there would be any real value in crossing over D&D and MTG. I wonder what changed.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    For the longest time WotC vehemently denied that there would be any real value in crossing over D&D and MTG. I wonder what changed.

One of the suits snapped their fingers and shouted, "Wait, this means we only have to pay one set of writers for both product lines!"

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Hasbro, their owner, realised they were their only two properties that made a profit.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Given that both properties take multiple universes as a basic assumption, it's kind of bizarre to me that there'd be any hesitation to cross them over.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Given that both properties take multiple universes as a basic assumption, it's kind of bizarre to me that there'd be any hesitation to cross them over.

And lots of them are cool as fuck and I'd like to adventure in them in D&D, and I'd like to have MTG cards featuring D&D settings/characters/items/etc.

JtgVX0H.png
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I've thought the Tempest expansion with the crew of the Weatherlight was just someone's fancy D&D campaign since like, the eighth grade

• SproutSprout Registered User regular

I feel like the actual reason was good, old-fashioned corporate territorial-ism. Like, MtG was Person A's fiefdom and D&D belonged to Person B, and neither was willing to give the other an inch of creative control over the other's domain.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »

I feel like the actual reason was good, old-fashioned corporate territorial-ism. Like, MtG was Person A's fiefdom and D&D belonged to Person B, and neither was willing to give the other an inch of creative control over the other's domain.

Stupider together

steam_sig.png
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

They're trying to compress that Venn diagram, and squeeze out the tasty money juice inside.

Given how poorly they’ve been making decisions with the MTG it’s probably greed related.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Hasbro should have never agreed to treat WotC as two brands instead of one, anyway, so I think this ultimately corrects what was a poor business decision.

All it cost them was ... 4e ...

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Hasbro should have never agreed to treat WotC as two brands instead of one, anyway, so I think this ultimately corrects what was a poor business decision.

All it cost them was ... 4e ...

And now I has a sad.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    edited September 2020
    So Descent into Avernus, my players went into the Dungeon of the Dead Three last night
    Fireball lady fucked them up. I refrained from doing it twice because that's just asking for a TPK, but two of them did go down and the rest are wounded and out of spell slots. So they retreated back out of the dungeon.

Now to figure out how a cultist hideout will deal with being attacked but not cleared out after the party goes to take a rest and comes back! Suggestions?

That module is mean to low level players. One player is pretty new to D&D and had the question of "so how are we supposed to deal with that? Where'd we screw up?" and I don't really think anyone did screw up! Hard to know what spells the creepy old hunched person in the black robes is packing until the spells start coming.

SniperGuy on
    edited September 2020
    Well, immediate question (I know nothing about this module other than MAD MAX IN HELL)

Will the hideout stay in place? CAN the hideout stay in place?

If you want to ease the difficulty up, have the players catch the cultists mid-evacuation. OR mid attempting to fortify. Your players are long resting, right? Play the cultists up as paranoid - they're going alll in on this fortification jam, and that's the problem - they're going all in when they just need to be doing the bare minimum.

If you do wanna be mean: Traps, traps traps. Objectives have been moved. Treasure has been lost. Is that one cultist holding explosive candles and running at the party while sounding awfully like a grunt from halo? Maybe!

You could also have whatever they've done help signal what's ocmming up next.

Finally: Cultists are still human. They might be evil loonies, but they've just suffered a home invasion that presumably left a whoel chunk of em dead. That's gotta have an impact on morale. Maybe they want to hunt the players down!

The Zombie Penguin on
    edited September 2020
    Well, immediate question (I know nothing about this module other than MAD MAX IN HELL)

Will the hideout stay in place? CAN the hideout stay in place?

If you want to ease the difficulty up, have the players catch the cultists mid-evacuation. OR mid attempting to fortify. Your players are long resting, right? Play the cultists up as paranoid - they're going alll in on this fortification jam, and that's the problem - they're going all in when they just need to be doing the bare minimum.

If you do wanna be mean: Traps, traps traps. Objectives have been moved. Treasure has been lost. Is that one cultist holding explosive candles and running at the party while sounding awfully like a grunt from halo? Maybe!

You could also have whatever they've done help signal what's ocmming up next.

Finally: Cultists are still human. They might be evil loonies, but they've just suffered a home invasion that presumably left a whoel chunk of em dead. That's gotta have an impact on morale. Maybe they want to hunt the players down!

The hideout in question is
    Under a bathhouse, carved out of rock. The cultists could just pick up and move, but part of the story here is that there's also some strife with the cultists getting some orders to kill the person who was sent to lead them. Players are supposed to stumble upon that and get some info from those folks at the end. So I suppose it could be a situation of "boss man heard there was trouble, came to investigate, cultists are trying to leave, boss man disagrees, fight ensues, everyone's stuck for a bit until the players show up" kind of thing. So some surely got out, some treasure is gone, but many are still in there, arguing?

Definitely some good options to play with. And they're not even
    in hell yet!

SniperGuy on
    WotC has posted a schedule for their online D&D Celebration Event.

Here's a few panel descriptions I found particularly interesting:
    Friday: September 18

10:00 AM: Dungeons & Designers
    With a brand-new adventure kicking off and a massive new rules update announced, Dungeons & Dragons has something for every gamer, whether player or DM! Principal game designers Jeremy Crawford and Chris Perkins sit down with Elle Osili-Wood for an insider’s guide to Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden, the upcoming Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything, and more!

4:00 PM: Invisible Dragons: Designing Mental Health Adventures
    Tackling mental health awareness is always a challenge, but through D&D and with a caring approach, can be an adventure. Join a crew of experienced mental health experts and advocates as they speed-build the structure for a mental health-themed adventure live with your participation!

Saturday: September 19

3:00 PM: What It Means To Be A Bard
    Bards, throughout history, have been the storytellers that shape entire cultures and societies with their words & their song. We shall dissect the very meaning of the word & break down the truths around the class, both in game & out.

Sunday: September 20

10:00 AM: Inclusive Dungeon Design for the Intrepid Adventurer
    Whether you are an Apprentice Abjurer building your first tower or a Veteran Vampire Lord constructing yet another catacomb, dungeon design can seem daunting. In under an hour, Jennifer Kretchmer (D&D Beyond’s Silver and Steel), Makenzie De Armas (MCDM’s Kingdoms and Warfare), Alicia Marie (DC FanDome), Elsa Sjunneson (The Fate Accessibility Toolkit), and Sara Thompson (The Combat Wheelchair) will help you navigate the pitfalls—both the figurative and trap varieties—while creating a playable dungeon with an emphasis on accessible design.

1:00 PM: Weaving Asian Stories
    Asian themes in tabletop RPGs like Dungeons & Dragons are usually characterized by two words: "exotic" and "mysterious". How do you go beyond these terms? How do you break free of harmful Asian stereotypes at your gaming table? The Asians Represent podcast and friends will discuss how to more positively navigate Asian cultures in D&D game design, narrative representation, and ethical game play.

4:00 PM: Inside the D&D Studio
    Where does Dungeons & Dragons go from here? How does the D&D team decide what products to make and what settings to visit, in order to further the game? Moderator Elle Osili-Wood sits down with Director of Product Management Liz Schuh and Executive Producer Ray Winninger for a behind-the-scenes discussion about the continuing creation and stewardship of Dungeons & Dragons.

This discussion has been closed.